Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

IRQ posted:

Did he choke her out in the books? I don't remember.

That was alone time before Mel had a POV so "dunno"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SpaceMost posted:

My biggest problem with Dany is that, while she has incredible potential, I have zero interest in what she's actually embroiled in. GRRM is so bad at making me care about Dany that he even managed to make me stop caring about Tyrion while he was on his way to her.
The same thing happened to me, but I just attributed it to him interrogating everything he saw about whores and generally not being amusing anymore.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only major hiccup with a time skip now is Stannis.

Jon can be frozen for 5 years and come back as Night Man.

Arya, Sansa, Dany, Cersei, Tommen, etc. can all exist in their own bubbles.

So, easy resolution: Victarion grabs Tyrion at some port, they get to Dany, Vic fails with the horn, Dany blows it, dragons are hers to control, she smites Vic, takes Tyrion on board, he teaches her EVERYTHING HE KNOWS for 5 years.

Brienne takes Jaime to Zombie Cat. Any combo of 1 or 2 of them die. The survivors gently caress off to do their thing.

Stannis/Asha/et al gets to Ramsay. Stannis kills Ramsay, takes Winterfell, begins reconstruction and preps for winter and war with the Others.

A PAGE SAYS "3/4/5 years pass"

Zombie Jon, Dany and Tyrion on big gently caress off dragons, Sam is a chained maester, Arya is a faceless man, Sansa is cunning as poo poo, Cersei has babied Tommen so much he's still basically a 6 year old, Brienne/Cat are brotherhooding it up running out of Freys OR Jaime had an existential crisis looking upon zombie cat, and hosed off to be a holy man for maximum redemption +10, he's in with the cult warrior guys like Lancel, they've basically seized King's Landing and are the self-appointed keepers of brutal, old time catholic style "peace".

Getting the last man standing on the throne and having the Ice vs. Fire showdown isn't hard. Nor is the time skip. You just gotta prune some poo poo like Cat, Brienne, Jaime, Stannis, and Victarion, who obviously ultimately are not crucial characters.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I hope Sansa never becomes cunning or anything. I just want her to exist in this weird little bubble with Littlefinger and Robert Arryn until everything is done, where nothing changes except maybe one day she takes a trip out the moon door her own drat self.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope Sansa never becomes cunning or anything. I just want her to exist in this weird little bubble with Littlefinger and Robert Arryn until everything is done, where nothing changes except maybe one day she takes a trip out the moon door her own drat self.

I do like the idea of her and LF basically holding everything from the Riverlands, The Vale, and the North.

Throw in Arya killing them for bonus happy fun time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
For the finale: Dany and Tyrion land in Dorne, hook up with Aegon, seize the Iron Throne. Every Lannister/major Kings Landing resident dies.

ZomJon blows the horn of winter, the wall tumbles, Others pour in, Stannis and everyone dies.

Dany and crew goes to save the kingdom, Jon fucks her poo poo up.

The Maesters and Sam get an army to stop ZomJon, Sam kills Jon. Wights kill Sam.

Only surviving POV characters are Tyrion and Arya.

The iron bank of Braavos puts a hit out on King Tyrion the Dragonrider for the debt owed. Arya poisons him with the purple hairnet poison. Westeros has absolutely no throne claimants.

The end.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Except it's winter and they already left the Eyrie, nobody else is going out the moon door :colbert:

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Is Cersei even going to get the chance to baby Tommen? Even if she wins her trial, Kevan basically implies that she's finished with politicking and having a close eye on Tommen (but maybe that's moot since he got iced).

I was under the impression that Highgarden is going to be running the show in KL from here on out, as a combo effort by Margaery/Queen of Thorns, Mace Tyrell and Randyll Tarly. And isn't one of the Redwines master of ships?

If we got a Highgarden POV next book, who would it be? Margaery?

I'm betting that we get at least one Sandsnake POV to peer in on the Kings Landing happs, be it the one that's infiltrating the Faith or the one that is on the small council. What POVs do we have left in KL currently, just Cersei?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The reason Ros is going to be in TWOW is so she can be a new POV.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

code:
                      ROS

Her face ached from the urgency of his love-making.
What a curiously small cock, she thought, disgust
causing her gorge to rise. Stifling the urge to vom-
it, she had half a suckling pig and five pounds of
honeyed locusts, attempting to drown herself with a
gallon of wine. A light repast.

The behemoth in the bed stirred, crumbs sifting out
his wiry grey beard as he sat up. "Parris?" he
called, blindly reaching in the dim light, his
piggish eyes useless without his maester's specta-
cles.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

code:
                      ROS

Her face ached from the urgency of his love-making.
What a curiously small cock, she thought, disgust
causing her gorge to rise. Stifling the urge to vom-
it, she had half a suckling pig and five pounds of
honeyed locusts, attempting to drown herself with a
gallon of wine. A light repast.

The behemoth in the bed stirred, crumbs sifting out
his wiry grey beard as he sat up. "Parris?" he
called, blindly reaching in the dim light, his
piggish eyes useless without his maester's specta-
cles.

:golfclap:

You jape, but didn't he actually threaten to write her into the series?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Bran is the only POV character from here on out. The 5 year gap is how long it takes the Reeds to plant Heart Trees in strategic locations throughout Westeros and Essos.

Going forward, in any chapter that involves travel, exposition is handled by a 7 foot tree that slowly shambles after the main characters.

The Weirwood's branches hung low and heavy, glistening wetly with perspiration in the moonlight. "Hodor," it seemed to mutter.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Waffle Ho posted:

:golfclap:

You jape, but didn't he actually threaten to write her into the series?
Yes, and to expand Osha's role, simply because he thinks the actresses are hot like Dany.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Looks like the show thread is realizing how hosed Robb is. I doubt Red Wedding is going to be nearly as shocking as it is to read.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
If I were the showrunners I'd do it early, no later than mid-season.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Azure_Horizon posted:

Looks like the show thread is realizing how hosed Robb is. I doubt Red Wedding is going to be nearly as shocking as it is to read.

That's because the show telegraphs the hell out of everything, see how there wasn't any surprise or outrage at Renly getting killed by the shadow baby.

There are going to be a lot of blue balls in this thread next season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's going to be hard work for the show to make Edmure look like more of a gently caress up than Rob.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yeah, but in the books Robb had already been completely hosed. The reason the Red Wedding was shocking is because things suddenly seemed to be in the "let's get the band back together" phase. Robb had hit his low point, and now the arc was going to swing up....and then the Red Wedding happens. They need to sell him getting his poo poo back together and having a plausible path to victory.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The cluttered nature of the show is probably what made Renly's death seem like nothing. Almost as soon as it was over, the next scene began and no one gave a poo poo anymore. For the RW to be done well, it would probably need an episode all to itself, ruining the surprise completely.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Handsome Dead posted:

The cluttered nature of the show is probably what made Renly's death seem like nothing. Almost as soon as it was over, the next scene began and no one gave a poo poo anymore. For the RW to be done well, it would probably need an episode all to itself, ruining the surprise completely.

Episode 9: next-to-end shot: them arriving at the Twins with all the tents and garlands and fancy decor put up.

Episode 10: first ten minutes is cheery stuff, salt and bread, etc. Show Arya and Bran and all that. Last 20 minutes: RW time. Last minute: cut to outside where the Stark tents collapse and burn, Arya runs to "help", the Hound rides her down and we hear a sick squish sound and fade to black. Cue yakkety sax and 10 months of the babbies making GBS threads their jorts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Episode 9: next-to-end shot: them arriving at the Twins with all the tents and garlands and fancy decor put up.

Episode 10: first ten minutes is cheery stuff, salt and bread, etc. Show Arya and Bran and all that. Last 20 minutes: RW time. Last minute: cut to outside where the Stark tents collapse and burn, Arya runs to "help", the Hound rides her down and we hear a sick squish sound and fade to black. Cue yakkety sax and 10 months of the babbies making GBS threads their jorts.

Except I can totally see them having some back room conversation or sexposition scene or some ominous bullshit in ep 9 that totally telegraphs the whole loving thing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ros is going to ride a dildocopter out of the gates and chant "if you eat his bread and salt surely NOTHING BAD will happen" while she hits people with her tits.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

I doubt this will be it, if only because they've typically wanted their big moment to be in the 9th episode to let the last one be set up for the next season, but also because no person in the entire universe will believe that the wedding will be normal if it's going to be the final episode of the season.

It might work if there's some other crazy thing that they can shove into the 9th episode, I guess. Does Jamie's hand get cut off that early? That would get people's guards down, if there was something insanely terrible that happened. But I'm not sure they'll do it.

Edit: I guess they could kill Joffrey. Or Lysa.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Assuming ASOS is two seasons:

Jaime's hand COULD move to 309.

Joffrey death would be around 405.

Oberyn/Gregor would be 408.

Tywin death would be 410

Assuming AFFC/ADWD runs chronologically:

Lysa death would be 609/610.

I forget where Jaime gets his awkward boner, but that's the episode I'm most looking forward to. Especially if Gwen and Nikolaj go full frontal.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 5, 2012

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I don't want to wait that long for Lysa, that is easily my favorite part of the entire story except for Ned getting got.

And the more I think about it the more hilarious I would find it if Joffrey bit it in 309 and Robb and Catelyn in 310. I would laugh really hard.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I have a gut feeling they're going to do a Death of Kings contrast between Robb and Joffrey, maybe Robb dying in episode 9 and Joffrey in episode 10.

All of these scenes are going to own. But I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of pacing changes from the books.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Ros is going to ride a dildocopter out of the gates and chant "if you eat his bread and salt surely NOTHING BAD will happen" while she hits people with her tits.
I'd watch this.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Reminder: Season 6 Ep 10 will have "only cat", Jaqen as Pate, Brienne taking Jaime to Cat, Jon Snow dies, and Dany epic-shits.

610 will be the best episode of the whole series.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sophia posted:

I don't want to wait that long for Lysa, that is easily my favorite part of the entire story except for Ned getting got.

And the more I think about it the more hilarious I would find it if Joffrey bit it in 309 and Robb and Catelyn in 310. I would laugh really hard.

Did Joffrey die before Robb in the books? I could've sworn Robb was the first one to go, I remember being really pissed that he died with unfinished business and Joffrey was talking poo poo at his wedding (though maybe I'm mixing it with my lament that Robb also died thinking his little brothers were dead too).

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Reminder: Season 6 Ep 10 will have "only cat", Jaqen as Pate, Brienne taking Jaime to Cat, Jon Snow dies, and Dany epic-shits.

610 will be the best episode of the whole series.

Wait why would Lysa die in season 6 if she actually gets killed in ASOS? That should happen in season 4 episode 9 and then in episode 10 Tywin gets gutted.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

ruddiger posted:

Did Joffrey die before Robb in the books? I could've sworn Robb was the first one to go, I remember being really pissed that he died with unfinished business and Joffrey was talking poo poo at his wedding (though maybe I'm mixing it with my lament that Robb also died thinking his little brothers were dead too).

Yeah, Robb totally died first. I think the the real stinger ending for season 3 would be for the Red Wedding to be juxtaposed with Joffrey being happy and feasting and whatever in Kings Landing.

Imagine:

[The Twins] The wedding seems to be going well.
Cut.
[Kings Landing] Joffrey is having a feast. It looks like a good time.
Cut.
[The Twins] Something is strange.
Cut.
[Kings Landing] Joffrey eats a big turkey leg.
Cut.
[The Twins] The murdering starts.
Cut.
[Kings Landing] Joffrey slops some wine on himself.
Cut.
[The Twins] Robb is brutally killed.
Cut.
[Kings Landing] Joffrey throws some bread at the peasants, laughing.
Cut.
[The Twins] Catelyn is slaughtered.
Cut.
[Kings Landing] Joffrey capers and laughs, looking ever more lurid and mad.
Cut.
[The Twins] Arya freaks, seemingly dies.
Cut.
[Kings Landing] Joffrey is happy and smiling and everything is alright.
End of season.

This, this would blow minds. Joffrey can die whenever in the fourth season. Just knowing he is happy and well and safe while watching fan favorite Robb slaughtered will create instant Wildcards out of the meekest of TV fans.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

El Hefe posted:

Wait why would Lysa die in season 6 if she actually gets killed in ASOS? That should happen in season 4 episode 9 and then in episode 10 Tywin gets gutted.

Oh poo poo. I thought that was the punchline of AFFC. It was actually the final chapter of ASOS.

I'll be damned. Okay, Lysa will die in episode 410.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No, you see, the Eyrie is just SO HIGH UP that it takes her two loving seasons to plummet the entire mountain.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'd be that the fakeout climax in 3x09 will be Dany trolling the hell out of the slave merchants. It's epic enough that, along with the tradition established by the previous two seasons, they're not going to think much of that wedding in particular.

The rest will be the announcement that Tyrion is going to wed Sansa (thus undercutting the more-prominent-in-the-show plotline where Margaery and the Tyrells try to marry her to Willas), which allows Joffrey to smug it all up in the inter-cut scene thornghost imagined, but that's gotta be rather early in the episode. Davos trying to assassinate Melisandre would be 3x09 or 3x10, not sure which.

When do Arya and company run into the Brotherhood?

Oh poo poo. I thought that was the punchline of AFFC. It was actually the final chapter of ASOS.

I'll be damned. Okay, Lysa will die in episode 410.

See, you should have realized you were wrong when you imagined there was significant plot development in any storyline outside of Cersei's.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ After the RW, I believe. Once that happens, they go east and that's when B. Don flaming swords the Hound.

No, you see, the Eyrie is just SO HIGH UP that it takes her two loving seasons to plummet the entire mountain.

Please do this. Next season's prologue should be Ser Whatever that Bronn killed splashing on a rock.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 5, 2012

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

^^^ After the RW, I believe. Once that happens, they go east and that's when B. Don flaming swords the Hound.

Please do this. Next season's prologue should be Ser Whatever that Bronn killed splashing on a rock.

Arya is chilling with the brotherhood, then the hound shows up with a sack of gold, trial by combat, he leaves, then comes back for the gold but takes arya instead.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

drat it, why couldn't we just have this whole episode dedicated to the Fist? I know it doesn't happen in ACoK, but I still think it's a lot cooler than everything that happens anywhere else afterwards.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

A PAGE SAYS "3/4/5 years pass"
Getting the last man standing on the throne and having the Ice vs. Fire showdown isn't hard. Nor is the time skip. You just gotta prune some poo poo like Cat, Brienne, Jaime, Stannis, and Victarion, who obviously ultimately are not crucial characters.

You can't get rid of Jaime while Cersei is still alive, because he has to kill her. After that, I guess he might not matter anymore.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

whowhatwhere posted:

I care about Meereen more than I care about Dany at this point. Please don't screw up the global economy and further hurt the people you screwed it up for :ohdear:

Really, though, I'm digging GRRM's commitment to making choices have consequences, even in Essos. Dany doesn't get to be the civilized white woman saving the brown people from themselves like she would in almost any other fantasy, she has to deal with the aftermath.

If only it were the slightest bit interesting to read. Instead, we get 'the sight of their arousal was arousing'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Oh come on, that prose was hilarious. Plus Shavepate owned :colbert: And Dany making GBS threads was the perfect metaphor for the last two books.