Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

tarzan posted:

I'm hoping for Peurto Ricans in gold lamé.

I prefer the heavy metal rockers from the dead with leather pants and frizzy hair and lobsters on their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So....uh......

Klingons?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
That looks exactly like the Klingons from the deleted scenes from the 2009 movie. I wouldn't put TOO much stock in that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Borg if they were completely redone.

Assimilation is a state of permanent ecstasy. A crewmember is captured, then rescued and turned human again, only to resent his rescuers for taking away his blissful existence. The protagonists struggle to explain why they value their freedom over an eternal life of happiness as part of the collective. Behind the scenes, the rescued crewmember seeks out the Borg, wishing to be re-assimilated.

Make it happen Abrams!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Aatrek posted:

That looks exactly like the Klingons from the deleted scenes from the 2009 movie. I wouldn't put TOO much stock in that.

Don't ruin my excitement. It's Gowron. The next villain is Gowron. :ohdear:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpaceMost posted:

I'm just tired of the whole assimilation/hive-mind archetype -- Borg, Zerg, Tyranid, the Matrix machines, etc. Hell, even the Chitauri apparently.

The Matrix Machines weren't hive-minds, which was one of the things that made them interesting. They were interconnected to a high degree, but they possessed a selective hive-mind that they could opt-out of. Smith did this all the time, where he wouldn't tell his fellow Agents what he was doing or where he was unless he desired to. If the Machines were hive-minds, then you wouldn't have the Oracle, the Merovingian and his early-gen rogue Agents, or the environment programs and their daughter. Only until the Smith virus is introduced in the second film do they have the possibility of a true hive-mind.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Assimilation is a state of permanent ecstasy. A crewmember is captured, then rescued and turned human again, only to resent his rescuers for taking away his blissful existence. The protagonists struggle to explain why they value their freedom over an eternal life of happiness as part of the collective. Behind the scenes, the rescued crewmember seeks out the Borg, wishing to be re-assimilated.

It wouldn't even be that hard to explain. Being assimilated introduces you to thousands of minds that increases your intelligence a thousand-fold. You like being smarter and wanted and the Borg give that to you. Even when rescued, it's like a chunk has been torn out of your mind, leaving a hole that can't be refilled unless connected to the Borg.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Random idea I had... it might be neat if Cumberbatch's character were someone like Charlie X or the characters in "Where No Man Has Gone Before"- i.e. someone who gets "touched" by cosmic forces and becomes really powerful and dangerous, and also insane. It'd be a nice twist on a familiar story concept, and one none of the movies have really done.

BUT NO MEATBALLS
Oct 22, 2005

So the TOS Klingons were campy stand-ins for the Russians, so now the new ones are campy stand-ins for Nazis? I guess?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Great_Gerbil posted:

This is more thought than the Voyager writers ever put into it, but I always imagined that the Borg queen was essentially the result of the TNG crew meddling--Hugh and probably Picard's experience--as the collective tried to cope. Like, a glitch in the system or whatever.

It would explain the Borg's sudden obsession with humanity and account for how the collective essentially broke down throughout Voyager's run.

I always thought that was an interesting way to look at it. Cuz, in a way, Picard and the Queen were both after their own white whales in First Contact.
Honestly it's not really a glitch, the Borg are an evolving entity and the TNG crew effectively gave it a perspective it was lacking and it grew out of that. Don't view it as a glitch or malfunction, but as a stepping stone to a new paradigm of existence.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I hope he plays Q. gently caress it, why not?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

weekly font posted:

I hope he plays Q. gently caress it, why not?

Well, there was that guy in the original series that was sort of a proto-Q.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Well, there was that guy in the original series that was sort of a proto-Q.

Trelane. And I'm pretty sure there was a book that basically retroactively said "yeah, he's a Q".

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BUT NO MEATBALLS posted:

So the TOS Klingons were campy stand-ins for the Russians, so now the new ones are campy stand-ins for Nazis? I guess?

No no no,, it has to be contemporary. The Klingons are Al Quaeda.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Pretty cool (and FAN-MADE) trailer. Calling it "Star Trek 2" in the end credits is a dead giveaway that it's a fake - but well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-13Ic19WUs&hd=1

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Random idea I had... it might be neat if Cumberbatch's character were someone like Charlie X or the characters in "Where No Man Has Gone Before"- i.e. someone who gets "touched" by cosmic forces and becomes really powerful and dangerous, and also insane. It'd be a nice twist on a familiar story concept, and one none of the movies have really done.

Well, Star Trek 5 had "God" who was kinda like that, or something. And it had a fan dance.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Don't ruin my excitement. It's Gowron. The next villain is Gowron. :ohdear:

Could they find another actor that can stare like Robert O'Reilly?

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Young Freud posted:

It wouldn't even be that hard to explain. Being assimilated introduces you to thousands of minds that increases your intelligence a thousand-fold. You like being smarter and wanted and the Borg give that to you. Even when rescued, it's like a chunk has been torn out of your mind, leaving a hole that can't be refilled unless connected to the Borg.

This is literally Lex Luthor's character arc in the final season of Justice League. Just throwing that out there.

BUT NO MEATBALLS
Oct 22, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

No no no,, it has to be contemporary. The Klingons are Al Quaeda.

You'd think, but on a serious note those coats are ridiculously SS looking.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

New uniforms. Maybe these are Mirror Universe Nazi-esque uniforms?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Those really are Nazi-esque. Why the gently caress would they do that, especially since it seems to ignore the color coding theme that every series has ever had.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Maxwell Lord posted:

I've seen this posted on a few other places across the Internet - so this seems to be the new fan theory. From the released stills it almost looks like he could be Gary Mitchel, so maybe we'll see a story that takes place either in Starfleet and/or on the Enterprise.

I'd love to have more of the original series ideas thrown into the new movie. Crossing my fingers. Would have loved Trelane, but I'll settle for Gary Mitchel or similar.

Also, in the image posted above me... Anton looks 12 in his uniform :3:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MichiganCubbie posted:

They're probably dress or "other" uniforms. I can't see this reboot series - which loves colour and flash - abandon the Gold, Red and Blue division uniforms.

I loved how well done the uniforms in the first film were done. The fabric was made up of thousands of tiny starfleet insignias. Really nicely detailed.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

They look more Russian than Nazi, to me. Crappy, regardless, but there you have it. I was thinking they look more like Cadet Uniforms, perhaps a graduation ceremony or something but I don't remember there being anything like that in the first one so...alternate universe would be most welcome. I love those stories.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

echoplex posted:

The fabric was made up of thousands of tiny starfleet insignias. Really nicely detailed.

Wait really?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Riptor posted:

Wait really?

Yup

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holy poo poo that's crazy.

Mr. Haunt
Jun 5, 2003

Before everything, there was just the hate.

Starfleet could use some Commissars to keep the discipline of the troops up.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So, after seeing the teaser trailer, what does everyone think about the villain now?

Edit: apparently I'm too goddamn stupid to realize that was fan made.

BUT NO MEATBALLS
Oct 22, 2005

MichiganCubbie posted:

I can't look at that and not imagine that she is literally pissing herself the moment that it was taken. She looks that excited to me.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

NarkyBark posted:

I just don't get why he's blaming spock for a natural supernova, which (as far as I know) no one caused, and he lashes out at the person who was actually trying to help. Because hey, everyone can stop what's probably the most primal powerful force in creation, right? drat YOU SPOCK! Not to mention, say he gets his wish and wipes out spock and the federation. Doesn't change what's gonna happen with the supernova! I suppose they could colonize a planet that they destroy... well, no, can't do that either since they disintegrate the planets.

I realize this is PAGES back, but... I play Star Trek Online, an MMO based on the continuation of the "Prime Universe" where TOS/TNG/Voyager/DS9 is based in, during the year 2409. The mid-level content goes somewhat in-depth about the supernova that wrecked Romulus.

Essentially, you first start investigating early on once you reach Romulan space, searching for clues about what caused it and how. You tended to see Remans (an enslaved race in that sector of space) nearby the sites, and you start to think that maybe they caused it. Which would make sense, considering the missions later on show them trying to fight for their freedom using questionable methods and weapons technology.

HOWEVER, it completely switches around and heavily hints, if not outright states that the entire supernova (which of course was actually "sped up" through subspace, meaning that Spock would have definitely reached his target before Romulus was cooked had it not for interference) was really the work of rogue Romulans working under an ancient race called the Iconians, which you find later through the mission "Coliseum" that they were collecting data about the different races of the quadrants and their reactions to situations in order to completely eliminate or subjugate them once the main Iconian fleet arrive and attempt to remake their empire (they were kicked out long ago by other ancient races, and essentially lived in a different universe and bode their time). They're also responsible for Undine (Species 8472 if you want to get technical) aggression during the time leading up to the main game.

Probably not the exact question needed answering, but that's the now-canon explanation behind the Romulan homeworld destruction.

CONTENT EDIT: The uniforms kind of look more ceremonial in nature, similar to the outfits in Wrath of Khan. Maybe high-ranking officer uniforms for ambassadorial/diplomatic offices?

Logic Probed fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 7, 2012

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
So the Iconians are now basically the Start Track version of the Reapers?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Logic Probed posted:

Probably not the exact question needed answering, but that's the now-canon explanation behind the Romulan homeworld destruction.

Nothing outside of the shows and movies is considered canon, Star Trek is very explicit about this.

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 7, 2012

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

That explanation is actually worse than having no explanation at all.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The comic book prequel to the 2009 movie was just AWFUL. Holy Christ.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
Lindelof gave an interview saying that he thinks 3 movies is enough and then it's time to pass the baton to someone else.

So now I'm wondering if all of these Khan rumors were not incorrect, but just blown out of proportion. That is, Khan isn't the villain of the next film, but he is in the movie, if only for a few moments at the end, as a lead-in to the last movie of the trilogy. Something like how the Joker is hinted at at the end of Batman Begins.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

10-8 posted:

Something like how the Joker is hinted at at the end of Batman Begins.

If it does happen, let's hope it goes like that and not the Phoenix hint at the end of X2.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

The Dark One posted:

If it does happen, let's hope it goes like that and not the Phoenix hint at the end of X2.

I'd love to see Khan as the villain behind the scenes a la Moriarty. The Klingons, resurgent and suddenly more aggressive led by an unknown force. A Starfleet officer turncoat.

What I'm saying is I'd like to see a rehashing of several TNG and DS9 plots with a sprinkling of Nemesis.

Just, ya know, done well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Well, we know that Cumberbatch's character has some connection to Starfleet, because there are set photos of him having a fistfight with Spock, and Cumberbatch is wearing the same black cadet shirt that Kirk wore in the first film.

Also, the original Khan report came from TrekMovie.com, not AICN, and TrekMovie broke several huge pieces of news during the buildup to Trek '09 and is not generally known for making poo poo up, which is why the report gained some traction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Well, we know that Cumberbatch's character has some connection to Starfleet, because there are set photos of him having a fistfight with Spock, and Cumberbatch is wearing the same black cadet shirt that Kirk wore in the first film.

Also, the original Khan report came from TrekMovie.com, not AICN, and TrekMovie broke several huge pieces of news during the buildup to Trek '09 and is not generally known for making poo poo up, which is why the report gained some traction.
I guess those photos could lend some credence to the idea that maybe Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Borg if they were completely redone.

mango sentinel posted:

Honestly it's not really a glitch, the Borg are an evolving entity and the TNG crew effectively gave it a perspective it was lacking and it grew out of that. Don't view it as a glitch or malfunction, but as a stepping stone to a new paradigm of existence.

It might actually be cool to see this played out again in one movie instead of over the course of many episodes. Have them start out as these weird cyborg technology scavengers like in their earliest appearances. They literally have zero interest in anything organic until they assimilate Picard in that later episode.

• Locked thread