Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Jerry Rice is an exception to the rule. Maybe I'm just bitter because my Grandfather had a baseball signed by Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron and he gave it to the Smithsonian. They don't even loving display it! :argh:

well, Harrison Ford approves, i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So I ordered my first American Football jersey after Mario Williams' number was announced. :dance:
Thing was, the Bills only had the Game Jerseys available. Is there some kind of lag on the Elites being released? Is the quality of the Game Jerseys really that average?

I'm used to paying about $120 for replica Australian football Guersneys and $100 seemed pretty cheap to me. (The $40 postage certainly was not though :()

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

TG-Chrono posted:

So I ordered my first American Football jersey after Mario Williams' number was announced. :dance:
Thing was, the Bills only had the Game Jerseys available. Is there some kind of lag on the Elites being released? Is the quality of the Game Jerseys really that average?

I'm used to paying about $120 for replica Australian football Guersneys and $100 seemed pretty cheap to me. (The $40 postage certainly was not though :()

Some players won't have Elite jerseys available through general release, most teams have at most 5 guys that will be recognizable enough to warrant making the jerseys for sale to the public. The rest are available, but only when you get a customized jersey for $50 more. It really sucks when a player that may have not had a great year the season before gets really hot since the ramp up in production of their jersey usually takes a good 5-8 weeks before shops start getting the jerseys in.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

mints posted:

Some players won't have Elite jerseys available through general release, most teams have at most 5 guys that will be recognizable enough to warrant making the jerseys for sale to the public. The rest are available, but only when you get a customized jersey for $50 more. It really sucks when a player that may have not had a great year the season before gets really hot since the ramp up in production of their jersey usually takes a good 5-8 weeks before shops start getting the jerseys in.

That's partially true. If what the lady at the Cowboys Pro Shop said applies to all teams, they should be selling Elites for other players starting in July.

At least I hope it's Elite and she didn't just mean Game/Limited.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

mints posted:

The Bengals pick the weirdest people to make a ton of jerseys for. 2011: Carlos Dunlap gets half a sack less than Suh in half as many games? Here, have a punter instead.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
So after a month, I finally got the refund from christmas-jersey or whatever the gently caress that site was, I'm sticking to Tarajersey :colbert:. Ordering the Cowboys Nike Hi Tops next though, so I'll post those whenever, It's like a jersey for your feet!

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

The Bengals pick the weirdest people to make a ton of jerseys for. 2011: Carlos Dunlap gets half a sack less than Suh in half as many games? Here, have a punter instead.

Huber is local, white, upper middle class and Catholic, meaning he appeals to the XU portion of the Cincinnati sports fanbase. Brilliant business decision by the Bengals.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KettleWL posted:

Huber is local, white, upper middle class and Catholic, meaning he appeals to the XU portion of the Cincinnati sports fanbase. Brilliant business decision by the Bengals.

Ironic because he went to UC. I'd rather have a Nugent jersey. Dude owns. Funny how both the Bengals kickers are super local.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
that's just because he wanted to play football, not polo or croquet or jai alai or whatever the gently caress it is they do out on dana

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hell, I would have actually gone to XU if they really did play jai alai. That would be bitchin.

What do y'all think about the NFLPA resisting thigh and knee pads? Really stupid or just tremendously dumb?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hell, I would have actually gone to XU if they really did play jai alai. That would be bitchin.

What do y'all think about the NFLPA resisting thigh and knee pads? Really stupid or just tremendously dumb?

It should be optional, but I think they should wear them.

I guess the issue is that the protection they offer may be restrictive enough for a players speed that they think it opens them up to getting hit more often so the net result isn't what you'd want overall anyway.

For some guys I guess like Darren Sproles that quick movement away from a tackler that prevents them getting hit straight on or "cleanly" could be removed by being restricted by the additional padding.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

squarerandom posted:

So after a month, I finally got the refund from christmas-jersey or whatever the gently caress that site was, I'm sticking to Tarajersey :colbert:. Ordering the Cowboys Nike Hi Tops next though, so I'll post those whenever, It's like a jersey for your feet!

For anyone who's curious, Yukijersey has the Nikes in now. I ordered my Cruz and will report back when I get it (last one took about 3 weeks, though I'm not home till end of June anyway)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

If it's just like basic extra padding I don't think the protection is all that great with them in the first place, so I see why players would prefer to go without them. I guess if it's mandated for everyone the movement restriction applies all around so it's fair though.

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.
Univ. of Arizona will be wearing copper helmets as an alternate this year.

http://arizona.sbnation.com/arizona-wildcats/2012/5/23/3039982/arizona-wildcats-copper-helmet

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Have they announced anything about who's wearing pro combats this year?

ZopfaMania
Jul 7, 2010

BigTeaBag posted:

Univ. of Arizona will be wearing copper helmets as an alternate this year.

http://arizona.sbnation.com/arizona-wildcats/2012/5/23/3039982/arizona-wildcats-copper-helmet

Cool. Copper/bronze is an underused (under=never) in football, it would look sharp with Black or Dark Blue.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

BlindSite posted:

It should be optional, but I think they should wear them.

I guess the issue is that the protection they offer may be restrictive enough for a players speed that they think it opens them up to getting hit more often so the net result isn't what you'd want overall anyway.

For some guys I guess like Darren Sproles that quick movement away from a tackler that prevents them getting hit straight on or "cleanly" could be removed by being restricted by the additional padding.

The only other safety argument I've heard is that padded knees would do less damage to whomever they hit. I have no idea how many players have been knocked by an accidental muay thai knee, though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Anals of History posted:

The only other safety argument I've heard is that padded knees would do less damage to whomever they hit. I have no idea how many players have been knocked by an accidental muay thai knee, though.

Tim Tebow's concussion against Kentucky springs to mind, when he landed on an o-lineman's knee. Knees tend to hurt.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Tim Tebow's concussion against Kentucky springs to mind, when he landed on an o-lineman's knee. Knees tend to hurt.
I'd be surprised if padding would make a difference in hits like that though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

japtor posted:

I'd be surprised if padding would make a difference in hits like that though.

It wouldn't.

The more I think about this the more I think players might be opting out and rallying against it is because it's a move the NFL might be trying to sell to fans, media, and everyone who's mentioned concussions and injuries in the last few years without actually fixing anything.

The players probably want some sort of commitment from the NFL to aid the development of better protective padding and this is just a bullshit band aid for a bullet wound.

"look we ARE helping players, they have to wear knee pads now"

Meanwhile linebackers and running backs end up drooling onto themselves until a coach smacks 'em on the rear end and sends them back into the huddle because they answered the "what sound does a cow make?" concussion test with a punch drunk grunt.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

squarerandom posted:

Did they say the Lee/Murray jerseys are going to be in shop only or online as well? I need A Lee jersey for the cowboys/chargers preseason game at least drat't

Was passing through the mall and stopped by the Cowboys Pro Shop today, they had the Game day Murray and Lee jerseys. The guy said he wasn't sure if they would be getting them in Elite though, and to just keep checking online for those.

E: Also the pictures online showed the stars on the sleeves of the blue jerseys being a different color rather than negative space like last years, in person it looks like the pictures were wrong and it does take advantage of the negative space. It looks fine in person, no clue why the pictures online looked wrong.

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 27, 2012

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I signed up for one of those NFL rewards points credit cards a few years back for the free flimsy fleece blanket giveaway, yet somehow have acquired enough points on it for one of the Nike jerseys, the top level one too.

I wouldn't ever buy one (replica is good enough), but since the points are use 'em or lose 'em might as well.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

We got the Morris Claiborne Game jerseys in at work yesterday. I tried on a small, the length was perfect, it was perfect around the waist, but the way the armpits are on them is really funky. Like it would shoot up my torso if I raised my arms up higher than like 45 degrees from my body. When I eventually get an Elite I may spring for the medium to see if it's any better.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Friend of mine got his Elite RG3 jersey on Friday...and good lord don't buy one unless you plan on wearing shoulder pads with it. For size reference, I would get medium Reebok and they would run slightly big on me. He got a large Elite, and the waist seemed to run a bit slim, so that part fit decently on me. But those shoulder, ugh. One of my flag football jerseys has the same cut, and the whole thing sags on your body because the shoulders are meant to sit up near your cheek. You can't comfortably raise your arms up, because the sleeves are cut at a much more vertical angle than a regular shirt. The quality beyond that was pretty solid. The collar is nice and the letters/number did not feel cheap at all.

I guess if you're going for authentic, it's very authentic - just not very comfortable to casually wear.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
All the beer bellies are going to be on full display this September.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just wear an undershirt guys jesus. Who wears a jersey with nothing underneath anyways?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Just wear an undershirt guys jesus. Who wears a jersey with nothing underneath anyways?

I always wear wear Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Joey Harrington when I do yard work. With nothing underneath.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Seriously, who doesn't wear their Superbowl Champions t-shirt underneath their jersey?

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

davecrazy posted:

Seriously, who doesn't wear their Superbowl Champions t-shirt underneath their jersey?

Fans of teams who don't have a Superbowl...

:smith:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

I can't :smith:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

davecrazy posted:

:saddowns:

Dick

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Here ya go.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

I always wear an undershirt with jerseys, don't want to make other people jealous of my rock solid abs that are hidden behind a few layers of beer belly

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bjay9 posted:

Fans of teams who don't have a Superbowl...

:smith:

why bother cheering for a team that doesn't? :haw:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GD_American posted:

why bother cheering for a team that doesn't? :haw:

Why not cheer for a team with more?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Chichevache posted:

We have 5 :smug: one for every point on our star :smug: any undershirt is good as long as it's not a shirtsey.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i wear plaid under my josh cribbs not-jersey t-shirt. ~~**~~The Football Hipster~~**~~

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Chichevache posted:

why be ostentatious? one is just about right. Worth being proud of but not so many you let it get to your head or anything

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Hm yes, Saints fans should definitely be very proud of that championship these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Hm yes, Saints fans should definitely be very proud of that championship these days

I'd take it

• Locked thread