Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Eggie posted:

I think one or two years ago, I did a "power playthrough" of FFXII. The idea of this power playthrough is to level up Vaan early and reap awesome equipment. One of the steps in this power playthrough is to farm Werewolves for Kotetsus, and if I remember correctly, you kill the two Werewolves, walk to screens east (without touching the save point), return and kill them again. Eventually your chain level will increase and the chances of them dropping Kotetsus will increase too.

I've done that as well. It seems like a grind at first, but ends up saving you a lot of time. IIRC, I 100%-ed the game in about 30 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

PhilippAchtel posted:

It seems like a grind at first,

you don't say?

I liked 12 pretty well, but man I just don't want to grind poo poo out like that ever, especially in a single player story driven game. It's unavoidable in games now though. Even the Souls games which are otherwise super tight have grinding for upgrades.

Roguelikes are kinda the anti-Final Fantasy, but they share some basic building blocks. I've been playing Brogue and the way it integrates trad RPG upgrading mechanics with exploration and progress into the game is so expert. I know it's probably not equivalent but it just seems loving clumsy that a multimillion dollar franchise with a team of hundreds and 25 years of history can't resolve fundamental problems that a 2MB shareware game knocks out of the park

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

swamp waste posted:

you don't say?

I liked 12 pretty well, but man I just don't want to grind poo poo out like that ever, especially in a single player story driven game. It's unavoidable in games now though. Even the Souls games which are otherwise super tight have grinding for upgrades.

Roguelikes are kinda the anti-Final Fantasy, but they share some basic building blocks. I've been playing Brogue and the way it integrates trad RPG upgrading mechanics with exploration and progress into the game is so expert. I know it's probably not equivalent but it just seems loving clumsy that a multimillion dollar franchise with a team of hundreds and 25 years of history can't resolve fundamental problems that a 2MB shareware game knocks out of the park

To be fair, Broque is almost entirely gear based in terms of whether you win or not. Which means there's a huge factor of luck as to how well you end up doing due to the randomization of the loot. There are certainly some skill aspects, but not nearly to the degree of most roguelikes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bargain bin Laden posted:

I completely forgot about the rod, thanks a ton. Now to actually go beat him.

Edit: And yes, Galura counters everything but he does his Rush attack which drains health until death far too often.

Edit 2: My rolling a die method has netted me Berserker, wooo

Wooo indeed. That's actually a pretty good combination for the end-game. The Rune Axe does more damage with a high Strength and a high Magic stat. Berserkers are third behind Monks and Knights for Strength, and Black Mages are right behind Summoners for highest Magic. (I'm not counting the GBA exclusive jobs since those aren't used in the Fiesta.)

Give your end-game Berserker the Rune Axe, !Black Lv. 6, and watch the :black101: unfold.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Well, I registered for FFV4JF, and I regged hard. I hope I don't end up with a berserker/beastmaster/geomancer/bard or something lamer.

I'm gonna get a geomancer and three berserkers now.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Oh Square, you are still gods of visual design.

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!
I'm as cynical as the next person but Star Wars 1313 and that tech demo is actively making me FROTH at the mouth for powerful next generation consoles. Strange since the Samaritan did absolutely nothing for me. I still worry about next generation budgets though...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Azure_Horizon posted:

And yet at the same time:

e: VV I hope they make it into a real game and it comes out before Versus XIII.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is actually interesting and I'd love to play something involving this.

It would probably suck though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

And they still don't quite have the whole voice acting thing down yet, either.

But seriously that did look really loving interesting.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, I laughed and shut it off as soon as the turban dudes burst in. It just felt like "ENIX MAKES MODERN WARFARE 4"

But at least I got a laugh out of it. I guess I'm no longer wowed by fantastic graphics, and the only things I thought were, "that rock looks pretty real" and "they put way too much effort into that dude's beard, that probably cost like the GDP of most developing nations."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

TurnipFritter posted:

What does it say about me that this is what I'm most interested in out of all of what Squares shown at E3

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Dr Pepper posted:

What does it say about me that this is what I'm most interested in out of all of what Squares shown at E3

Probably the fact that the majority of the good final fantasies were 2D, not 3D. (Note: This doesn't except some of the 2D Final Fantasies from sucking)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Pepper posted:

I love how it looks so much like a loving RPGMaker game that the monster they're fighting looks like a lovely traced-in-Flash-by-a-teenager version of Romancing SaGa enemies.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm sure it's different divisions of the company or what-have-you, but I can't help but feel a bit cranky thinking about the time and money Square must spend on these tech demos (see also the FFVIII ballroom scene created in real-time), when they seem to have any number of projects forever trapped in development limbo or getting cancelled. They also love to tell us how impossible it would be to remake old games because "you have no idea how much time and effort it takes to make these worlds with new graphics," and yet we get mini-movies like this with incredibly detailed worlds, new characters and locations, etc. that are not part of any project at all and are just to show off.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Why does the guy at the top look so much blockier than everyone else? I thought this was an RPG Maker game at first.

TurnipFritter posted:

e: VV I hope they make it into a real game and it comes out before Versus XIII.

Versus is actually using the lighting from the luminous engine, which is what they're running this tech demo on. It's been over a year since we've seen anything from it, but the lighting was definitely one of its strong points.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope this means beautiful flowing hair for everyone in Versus 13.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I hope this means beautiful flowing hair for everyone in Versus 13.

Rather than having blatant model switching, the only difference between cutscene and gameplay character models is the quality of the hair.

So yes.

(What the hell is wrong with me? I must have every press release from them memorised by now...)

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Why does the guy at the top look so much blockier than everyone else? I thought this was an RPG Maker game at first.

Seriously. That textbox looks exactly like the default textbox style of the newer versions of RPG Maker.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Death By Yogurt posted:

Seriously. That textbox looks exactly like the default textbox style of the newer versions of RPG Maker.

Looks like? I'm pretty sure those flag emblems are in an actual RPGMaker.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All their iOS stuff has those terrible cheap text boxes/fonts, I really don't get it.

This game is an up-port of a Japanese cellphone game, so not only does it have the new ugly UI and an ugly filter over the top, but some of the sprites are more touched up than others, leading to weird discrepancies like the ones in that pic.

At least the game itself is supposed to be pretty good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Ugly as that is, I want it. Do we have a release date?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The White Dragon posted:

Looks like? I'm pretty sure those flag emblems are in an actual RPGMaker.

Someone from NeoGAF made this:

The original game didn't look great, you could clearly tell it was cobbled together from resources they already had, but at least they understood that a large part of the charm comes from the 16-bit graphics:

Bongo Bill posted:

Ugly as that is, I want it. Do we have a release date?

July for iOS, TBD for Android.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Agni's Philosophy; a story in which a war is fought with monsters and mutated animals and has modern day terrorists fighting the occult.

Why is this just a tech demo and not the premise of FF15?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Too difficult to write a 17 year old pretty boy with skimpy clothes into the story. Play testers had difficulty relating to the story without one.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Azure_Horizon posted:

A bunch of mages are being attacked by guerrillas with guns. Somehow the guerrillas have a serum that can make wolves gigantic and hulking, with spikes bursting from their backs. Then a giant magical beast breaks free and saves our fair maiden!

These elements aren't random at ALL - no sir!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

A bunch of mages are being attacked by guerrillas with guns. Somehow the guerrillas have a serum that can make wolves gigantic and hulking, with spikes bursting from their backs. Then a giant magical beast breaks free and saves our fair maiden!

These elements aren't random at ALL - no sir!

Who cares? It looks cool and could make for a good game if they explain what's going on. It's not difficult to see that it's a magic vs. technology war -- the insurgents have chemicals that can genetically gently caress with animals as well as carry modern weaponry, the mages have magic that can electrify and summon beasts.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It seemed to be the story of Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins using the power of Crystal Coca-cola to recover from a insurgent attack. When I saw that refreshing bottle, I was wondering if this was another crossover marketing deal like that FFIX coke commercial.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Magic side sucks if they get taken down by a few AKs.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It's pretty hard to get excited when everything this company has showed us ends up going down in flames or delayed to the point where the popular sentiment is one of apathy. It looks neat, but honestly, who really cares? At least coming from Square-Enix of all companies?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

It's pretty hard to get excited when everything this company has showed us ends up going down in flames or delayed to the point where the popular sentiment is one of apathy. It looks neat, but honestly, who really cares? At least coming from Square-Enix of all companies?

Because it's a sign of possible things to come and you're just superbly cynical?

There's really no pleasing any FF fans it seems. Anywhere. With anything.

VVVV Exactly. FFXIII-2 was a fantastic game and I continue to look forward to what they come out with.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 6, 2012

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Himuro posted:

who really cares?

It's me, I care. Square-Enix is deeply rooted within my entire gaming experience, so it's hard not to be a bit excited to see what they might have in store. While they've been in a ridiculous slump, most of their handheld games this generation have been great and I loved the hell out of FFXIII-2.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is what you've been wasting your time on, SE? Just stop everything and get on with Versus already. You can't make money off of tech demos. :mad:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Faux-FF15 looks silly, but then it's (probably) not going to be what the game is about anyway, so I might as well enjoy the beautiful beard physics. Cid deserves the best beard physics for their next remake of FF4. Of course, it really depends on what over-the-top battle system they come up with, as I can tolerate the Adventures of Bahamut in the Middle East if the game's fun.

The phone game looks hideous, but hey, it might be fun. Just wish they used a little of that tech demo money to make the thing look half-decent. It's like they can't make any decent 2D graphics anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Krad posted:

This is what you've been wasting your time on, SE? Just stop everything and get on with Versus already. You can't make money off of tech demos. :mad:

It also came with a survey to see your reaction to it. It included questions about the graphics, settings and lead.

I personally like the idea of having a cross between reality and fantasy in the world. Liked the grittiness of it compared to how clean everything has been in the last final fantasies.

Also got serious panzer dragoon vibes at the end.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I have no idea what the problem is with that tech demo. It makes me excited to see what Square has in store. But this is coming from someone who didn't hate FFXIII. I still haven't finished it because I didn't become as invested in it as I have the past FF games, but it wasn't a pile of dog turds or anything.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My faith is in Square would be immediately restored if they made any of the following direct or spiritual sequels: Final Fantasy Tactics [Not FFA], Vagrant Story, Einheinder.

I just don't trust them to make vanilla JRPGs anymore.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

My faith is in Square would be immediately restored if they made any of the following direct or spiritual sequels: Final Fantasy Tactics [Not FFA], Vagrant Story

This will never happen because Matsuno died to SE. He works for Level 5 now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Yar The Pirate posted:

I have no idea what the problem is with that tech demo. It makes me excited to see what Square has in store. But this is coming from someone who didn't hate FFXIII. I still haven't finished it because I didn't become as invested in it as I have the past FF games, but it wasn't a pile of dog turds or anything.

That's strange. When I open my copy of FFXIII, that's exactly what I see.

XIII-2 was actually really good gameplay-wise, they just need to get a writer that's not Watanabe and Toriyama because the only thing they can come up with is firing liquid diarrhea onto a page and thinking we'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Azure_Horizon posted:

This looks pretty cool actually. It's like what Final Fantasy would be if designed by a western studio.

For all the time went into modeling that dudes beard, did anyone else think it looked pretty bad?