Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!

Xenomorph posted:

The icon information is corrupted, either in memory, or in the cache on the device's filesystem. Sometimes iOS will show the corrupted icon, such as a swapped/incorrect image (Photos with a Mail icon, etc) or a low-resolution/swapped icon (a blurry Mail icon). Most of the time the icon is so corrupted, iOS just displays the blank white icon (which is the system default).

Edit: there are also references to files in uicache that existed in iOS 3.0 (but do not exist in iOS 5.x). uicache hasn't been updated since before these iOS 5.1.1 and even 5.0.1 jailbreaks came out. Just like WinterBoard, we'll have to wait a long time for saurik to fix this (text issues that showed up in iOS 4.0 & WinterBoard were not fixed until around the time iOS 5.1 came out a year and a half later, and iAds are still not fixed).

Thanks for this, was informative.

Also am curious my jailbroken new iPad sometimes goes to sleep, and never wakes up. It seems like its on standby but then when I try to wake it up, nada. I have to hold home and power and reboot. Might be one of the many cydia apps I installed. I m using whatspad, along with zephyr, and nc settings. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is Music Controls Pro the only tweak that allows the use of swipe gestures while the screen is off? There's really no indication that it's going to be updated to work with 5.1.1 any time soon.

I can find a lot of tweaks that provide swipe controls but they all seem to require that the screen be turned on, and I'm trying to make use of these controls without obliterating my battery.

Before anyone suggests Activator, I've already got it set up to control music with the volume buttons, which is fine, but it's kind of a pain when I have my phone at my desk and want to change songs (which I do a lot). I'm asking purely out of a desire for convenience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Denim Dude posted:

Yeah I've used redsn0w for my jailbreaks going back years now so I didn't doubt that it would actually jailbreak the phone. I'm interested specifically in whether or not it's fixed the 3g internet problems myself and other people in this thread have reported. I might just bite the bullet and try it later this evening.

Only anecdotal evidence so far, but as I mentioned a couple days ago (thursday or friday?) I jailbroke a THIRD time, after having the same issues as you twice (2.0 and 2.04 Absinthe) only this third time I did NOT restore from Backup. It was ONLY a minor pain, but so far(knocking on wood here) I have not had the 3G slowness *OR* complete failure that I had been having before.

Take that for what you will, but it may be worth your time to try.

That would be:

Backup (if you want, I guess)

Restore 5.1.1 in iTunes.

Jailbreak completely virgin phone.

DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP. Rebuild your phone the way you like.

4 days and counting. No issues detected. (knocking on more wood here.)

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Sorry, did I miss where it said SiriPort isn't working for iPad 2? I installed the cydia files and the cert properly, but there is no Siri option under Settings > General.

I've rebooted a number of times and followed Fozaldo's instructions as well as using the updated certificate.

edit: Looks like since SiriPort was updated, iPad support isn't in it at the moment. Should be here soon though.

Meroin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 5, 2012

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
On the subject of SiriPort, can anybody who has an iPhone 4S with an official Siri answer if you need a data connection to use it? It seems odd that SiriPort can't do non-network tasks like check my calendar, alarms, notes, etc. without an active data connection and I was wondering if that was a limitation on the port version or not.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Klowns posted:

On the subject of SiriPort, can anybody who has an iPhone 4S with an official Siri answer if you need a data connection to use it? It seems odd that SiriPort can't do non-network tasks like check my calendar, alarms, notes, etc. without an active data connection and I was wondering if that was a limitation on the port version or not.
Siri always needs a data connection to work on my 4s.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klowns posted:

Siri always needs a data connection, none of the voice recognition happens on the device itself, it's sent to a server

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Thanks. Like a few others have mentioned I'm a little paranoid about installing random Russian certificates on my phone.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Wolf on Air posted:

It wasn't for me, the new version also has an app icon and can use GPS to get proper sun timings. Some other cute hacks I highly recommend: SwipeShiftCaret, Software Update Killer, ResetAllKiller, SmallBanners, Single-Use Clipboard, Screenshot Dam, Safari UniBar, Pull To Refresh for Mail, iKnowIt, DoNotDisturb, DietBar, Delete Word, Autoprotect, Attacher, AskToCall, appslide.

FakeClockUp is a must for me- it "accelerates the UIKit transition animations." Basically makes everything happen faster. You'll need to add http://hitoriblog.com/apt

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Klowns posted:

Thanks. Like a few others have mentioned I'm a little paranoid about installing random Russian certificates on my phone.

What can actually happen with the certificate? Like can it grab all your contact data and saved passwords in Safari and stuff?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

What can actually happen with the certificate? Like can it grab all your contact data and saved passwords in Safari and stuff?

I believe it could successfully impersonate any website or secure server on the internet and log your communications with it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

EDIT: Nevermind, figured out what I was doing wrong. Re jailbroke my phone with success via the current version of Absinthe.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 6, 2012

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Feenix posted:

Only anecdotal evidence so far, but as I mentioned a couple days ago (thursday or friday?) I jailbroke a THIRD time, after having the same issues as you twice (2.0 and 2.04 Absinthe) only this third time I did NOT restore from Backup. It was ONLY a minor pain, but so far(knocking on wood here) I have not had the 3G slowness *OR* complete failure that I had been having before.

Take that for what you will, but it may be worth your time to try.

That would be:

Backup (if you want, I guess)

Restore 5.1.1 in iTunes.

Jailbreak completely virgin phone.

DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP. Rebuild your phone the way you like.

4 days and counting. No issues detected. (knocking on more wood here.)

I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I never restore from a backup so that's defiantly not the problem for me.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Just chiming in to say that SiriPort worked for me straight away on my iPhone 4.

Also, ShowCase is awesome. It's the little things in life... (or so I tell my girlfriend!)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My little 3GS often struggles with the minimal loadout I have on it. Killing processes or using SBSettings to free up memory both work really well, but I was wondering if there was an automatic app for this? It becomes seriously unresponsive when I have about 10-20mb of available memory so that would be a good trigger point.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

It's been a while since I jailbroke, is Backgrounder still the preferred method to keep apps alive in the background?

It's for the new iPad if that matters.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

deathmerc posted:

Just chiming in to say that SiriPort worked for me straight away on my iPhone 4.

Also, ShowCase is awesome. It's the little things in life... (or so I tell my girlfriend!)

I still can't get that loving thing working after like four days, so I'm uninstalling it. Guess I'll just wait to get Siri on the iPhone 5 whenever it comes out.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Also are there any apps that let me track data usage by app? There are a couple that were iPhone only and one on the real app store that only tracked when on 3G. I'm looking for something that works with the iPad and tracks when on WiFi.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

suboptimal posted:

I still can't get that loving thing working after like four days, so I'm uninstalling it. Guess I'll just wait to get Siri on the iPhone 5 whenever it comes out.

Same thing, I have tried dozens of times over the past two days and I can't get Siri to respond with anything other than "I'm really sorry but I can't help you right now please try again later"

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

It's been a while since I jailbroke, is Backgrounder still the preferred method to keep apps alive in the background?

It's for the new iPad if that matters.

I had issues with it on the OG iPad on 5.0.1 so I haven't bothered trying it on the new iPad with 5.1.1.

Really bugs me when games/apps quit my music app, and backgrounder was one of the only ways I could get it to stay open.

If anyone knows the answer, let us both know!

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
So I am already jailbroken on the new iPad 5.1.1 using absinthe 2.04. However I keep experiencing random freezes and resprings. I m pretty sure is some of the junk I installed from cydia. So I want to do a fresh re break. Should I just follow the same steps as before, back up, delete settings and content on the iPad, jail break, then restore backup?

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
I have a first gen ipod touch running 3.1.3 that I'm trying to jailbreak. I've tried jailbreaking it with pwnage tool. Problem is, it has a broken home button so I can't hold it down and get it in dfu mode. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, I found a one click jailbreak app called spirt. It worked for me.

Txiuct fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 6, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

My little 3GS often struggles with the minimal loadout I have on it. Killing processes or using SBSettings to free up memory both work really well, but I was wondering if there was an automatic app for this? It becomes seriously unresponsive when I have about 10-20mb of available memory so that would be a good trigger point.

KillBackground is what I use on my 3GS. It's not automatic, but it's close. Double-tap Home and then tap the red Skull & Crossbones. It closes everything quickly, and frees up a bunch of RAM.

Manac0r posted:

So I am already jailbroken on the new iPad 5.1.1 using absinthe 2.04. However I keep experiencing random freezes and resprings. I m pretty sure is some of the junk I installed from cydia. So I want to do a fresh re break. Should I just follow the same steps as before, back up, delete settings and content on the iPad, jail break, then restore backup?

No, do not "delete settings and content" on the iPad. That is bad/wrong/etc.

Do not reset settings:
http://cydia.saurik.com/faq/fixing.html#resetsettings
Disable the ability to reset settings:
http://cydia.saurik.com/package/net.crazy.resetallkiller

The proper method:

- Backup in iTunes.
- Click Restore to wipe the device and install iOS.
- Run Absinthe.
- Click "Restore from Backup" in iTunes.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum

Xenomorph posted:

The proper method:

- Backup in iTunes.
- Click Restore to wipe the device and install iOS.
- Run Absinthe.
- Click "Restore from Backup" in iTunes.

Thanks, saved me a whole ton of trouble. Think I ll wait till tomorrow before emabarking on my re-brake. Maybe I should just stop using Quasar but it's just so drat useful.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manac0r posted:

Quasar but it's just so drat useful.
Haha oh my god that's insane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cYWha8YFi8&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTChTvCNKPU&hd=1

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I find it crap. The resizing only goes diagonal and really, what am I switching between that much? I tried Twitter/Safari and it just sucked.

Also finger tracking is hosed in windowed mode - try a drawing app to see what I mean.

Save your cash, don't buy it IMO.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I think it's perfect for those lazy consuming sessions. The new ipad has pretty much replaced my PC altogether (unless I'm gaming, which is rare now) and Quasar lets me be a lazy multitasker.

Streaming video, kairosoft games (fullscreening kairosoft games is a sin, you just sit there half the time!) and the forums/facebook at the same time whilst laying on my back covered in greasy crumbs and half-eaten cheeto bags.

Sometimes life is good and Quasar helps me get there.

e: It's definitely not something I leave on all the time though. ^^ Is absolutely right about the problems it has.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 7, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I find it crap. The resizing only goes diagonal and really, what am I switching between that much? I tried Twitter/Safari and it just sucked.

Also finger tracking is hosed in windowed mode - try a drawing app to see what I mean.

Save your cash, don't buy it IMO.
Thanks but I meant "insane" as in "ridiculous and something I'd never use."

Interesting programming achievement though I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I think it's perfect for those lazy consuming sessions. The new ipad has pretty much replaced my PC altogether (unless I'm gaming, which is rare now) and Quasar lets me be a lazy multitasker.

Streaming video, kairosoft games (fullscreening kairosoft games is a sin, you just sit there half the time!) and the forums/facebook at the same time whilst laying on my back covered in greasy crumbs and half-eaten cheeto bags.

Sometimes life is good and Quasar helps me get there.

e: It's definitely not something I leave on all the time though. ^^ Is absolutely right about the problems it has.
I'd love to see a pic of your window setup because I feel shafted on one hand for paying cash for it, but at the same time this is a crazy addition to the iPad so kudos to the creator and funding ideas like that are never a bad idea in my book. While I think Apple's way is good enough, splitting it somewhat like how Metro does it on Windows 8 would be kinda cool for certain tasks.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

I'd love to see a pic of your window setup because I feel shafted on one hand for paying cash for it, but at the same time this is a crazy addition to the iPad so kudos to the creator and funding ideas like that are never a bad idea in my book. While I think Apple's way is good enough, splitting it somewhat like how Metro does it on Windows 8 would be kinda cool for certain tasks.

Unfortunately with its 4:3 screen perfect splitting doesn't work on an iPad. A perfect split would require a screen with dimensions fitting a ratio of 2^(1/2):1 (not taking into account the status bar). It would be pretty sweet if future designs took this into account. A tablet with perfect splitting would be cool as hell.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I packaged some of the zip files I had on my site and started a mini Cydia repository.

One of the programs on there does an icon rebuild, without a respring. Since it doesn't respring, it's quicker than most recommended methods of fixing icons, plus it doesn't close any background programs like a respring does.
It's just called "Rebuild Icons", and doesn't have an interface (yet). Just hit the icon and things will get unresponsive for a few moments while caches are being rebuilt (if you're monitoring system processes via top or similar program, you'll see the uicache process briefly, then a bunch of CPU usage from the SpringBoard and lsd processes). I'll try to have a better interface for it later, and even some sort of progress or loading animation. Due to some idiot user-error, I've lost a bunch of my iOS/Xcode stuff.

If you want to add my repo, just go to Manage -> Sources in Cydia, then Edit -> Add and put in cydia.xenomorph.net in the text field and hit Add Source.
You can browse my (miniscule) selection by going to Manage -> Sources and then tap the XdN Cydia Repo.
There's really nothing amazing there, but I hope to add more stuff later (eventually). I can even host some goon-made stuff if you don't want to put it on other repositories.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
So after jailbreaking on 5.1.1 and then adding siriports (on an iPhone 4, GSM), I have this issue where mail is useless. The only thing I can do, so far as I've checked, is mark things as read. That gets rid of the minor issue of having a bunch of junk listed as unread because POP3. But attempting to read any email will result in mail freezing and eventually crashing. Awful also crashes on occasion, but everything else seems fine.

Does siriport really eat all that much processor when idle, or have I managed to break something?

Siriport is basically the only new thing I've installed since jb, and it was fine when jb'd on earlier versions.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum

Arrowsmith posted:

Unfortunately with its 4:3 screen perfect splitting doesn't work on an iPad. A perfect split would require a screen with dimensions fitting a ratio of 2^(1/2):1 (not taking into account the status bar). It would be pretty sweet if future designs took this into account. A tablet with perfect splitting would be cool as hell.

Agreed. It dose come down to pratical application. Apple's method works, so why fix it? Qusaar does allow me to stream video, while mailing, messenging and reading the forums. Everything is visible and in realtime. No clicking or swiping to move between apps. Granted the resizing is buggy, but for the lazy ADHD tasker, it has some benefits.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Manac0r posted:

Agreed. It dose come down to pratical application. Apple's method works, so why fix it? Qusaar does allow me to stream video, while mailing, messenging and reading the forums. Everything is visible and in realtime. No clicking or swiping to move between apps. Granted the resizing is buggy, but for the lazy ADHD tasker, it has some benefits.
How do you type your emails or read text on the forums though? I wanna use it but dont see the point! Show me a pic of how you have it set up if ya don't mind

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
For starters make sure quasar isn't locked to screen. This allows you to move and resize windows around easier.

http://db.tt/l8CH5rtK
http://db.tt/8UvQd7He

It is all personal preference mind.

Gadani
Oct 19, 2005
I'm a couple pages late to the party, but I'm using an iPhone 4S jailbroken with Absinthe (whatever version update came out the day the 5.1.1 untethered was released) on iOS 5.1.1. I backed up to iTunes, did a factory reset, jailbroke using Absinthe, then restored from backup. All my stuff works fine and I'm having no problems with any data (3G or WiFi).

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Manac0r posted:

For starters make sure quasar isn't locked to screen. This allows you to move and resize windows around easier.

http://db.tt/l8CH5rtK
http://db.tt/8UvQd7He

It is all personal preference mind.

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's objectively terrible. Just like all of those iPhone themes.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum

Mr. Fix It posted:

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's objectively terrible. Just like all of those iPhone themes.

A theme suggests pure cosmetics, this actually has some merit in practical application, but if it's not to your liking, gloss over.

"Reality is in some sense constructed by the mind, not simply perceived by it, and many such constructions are possible, none necessarily sovereign" - Sir James Jeans.

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 7, 2012

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Xenomorph posted:

I packaged some of the zip files I had on my site and started a mini Cydia repository.

One of the programs on there does an icon rebuild, without a respring. Since it doesn't respring, it's quicker than most recommended methods of fixing icons, plus it doesn't close any background programs like a respring does.
It's just called "Rebuild Icons", and doesn't have an interface (yet). Just hit the icon and things will get unresponsive for a few moments while caches are being rebuilt (if you're monitoring system processes via top or similar program, you'll see the uicache process briefly, then a bunch of CPU usage from the SpringBoard and lsd processes). I'll try to have a better interface for it later, and even some sort of progress or loading animation. Due to some idiot user-error, I've lost a bunch of my iOS/Xcode stuff.

If you want to add my repo, just go to Manage -> Sources in Cydia, then Edit -> Add and put in cydia.xenomorph.net in the text field and hit Add Source.
You can browse my (miniscule) selection by going to Manage -> Sources and then tap the XdN Cydia Repo.
There's really nothing amazing there, but I hope to add more stuff later (eventually). I can even host some goon-made stuff if you don't want to put it on other repositories.

This is really great, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

What's to show? It's just like using Windows. I don't try to maximize my space, there's always wasted real-estate. There's lots of overlap (I watch a lot of re-run TV so it's not like I need the whole video frame showing) and I'll always hit fullscreen before typing in any app.

It's an iPad, I don't try to do any kind of power computing on it so the quirks it has never bothers me.

For a practical feature anyone can make good use of is downloading files. Even the new iPad will shut down a download in the background after long enough. With Quasar you can just shrink the window and do something else instead of sitting there watching Safari or Cydia download something.

I think it was worth it and it can only get better as the author works on it.

• Locked thread