Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Even at 70, kiting wasn't what it was - you started to see quite a few slow-immune elites, and while there were things like taking that big loving fel-green corehound in Shadowmoon Valley for walkies all the way to Shattrath so it'd pick a fight with the NPCs there, there were quite a few slow-immune fast-moving elites between lv60 and 70.
Especially since you can't downrank spells any more (as )the days of Faxmonkey are long gone, he tries, but it's not the same any more.

What is going on these incredibly long videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

What is going on these incredibly long videos?

He slowly kills monsters alone that can usually only killed by groups of players (= elites). He does this by attacking them while running away from them or abusing the pathfinding AI. He also kills 100 mobs at the same time by herding them and then hitting them with AOE spells.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
What does "down-ranking" which is presumably using a lower level version of spells have to do with that though?

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Synnr posted:

What does "down-ranking" which is presumably using a lower level version of spells have to do with that though?

It's been a while but I'd imagine it's because using your max rank spells/abilities would drain your mana dry very quick. At that point you'd have to stop and use mana drinks to regen, and the monster you're kiting would catch you and gently caress you up. Low rank spells used very little mana relative to a max-level player's mana pool, so it'd take ages to kill something but your natural mana regen would be enough for you to keep spamming spells while running around.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Faxmonkey also made his way into PvP.

In the Burning Crusade expansion, mages got an ability called Spellsteal, which could be used to steal beneficial auras and other buffs from enemies. While it has obvious PvP uses, usually the buffs were fairly short-lived and highly situational. There's also a spell called Ice Block, which makes the mage invulnerable for ten seconds, but prevents them from moving or casting spells. Faxmonkey combined these two.

There was a mob in the PvP battleground Alterac Valley that had a long-lasting fire aura buff that damaged enemies around them. Faxmonkey found out that it could be stolen multiple times, so he got multiple fire auras on him, rode into groups of enemy players and used Ice Block. The stolen fire auras killed everyone in the vicinity before the ten seconds of invulnerability were up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

In the vein of RP griefing, I feel I need to chime in and affirm that RPers are the lowest of the fruit on the tree. I came to an epiphany last night that, sometimes, simply sticking to a character role is griefing.

To add some detail, I consider myself a pretty hardcore RPer when I RP. I'd also been looking forward to SWTOR for a long time and intended to RP in it. Now, one of the things to understand about RPers is that there is a compulsive need they feel to be a special snowflake. It's where your ssjsephiroth shiny daggers with billowing cloaks on a windless day weirdos come from.

This leads to many people playing rebellious Jedi and kind-hearted Sith. And none of them accept the 'consequences' for their actions (eg: Jedi falling to the Dark Side. They're all Chaotic Good). Being fair, these consequences tend to be of the social contract 'in canon, this happens.' Not that anyone bothers to listen to this. They're too busy living in their little sycophantic cliques to acknowledge things like this.

Now, as a result of this, I grew fed up and created two characters. A celibate, orthodox Jedi and Force philosopher (ribbing on rebellious, lesbian Jedi played by G.I.R.L.s), and a mean spirited Sith supremacist who could be charitably described as 'tense and easily angered.' The reactions these characters receive when milling about near RP hubs bring joy to my heart. Especially after last night, where someone got so butthurt about my Sith making to choke a few insolent apprentices, that he logged into his level 50 PVP toon, and spent about 15 minutes berating me in /whisper about how I have no friends outside the guys I ERP (erotic RP) with and how the entire community hates me and thinks I am a joke (more level-headed people who understand what I'm doing had a good chuckle at this).

Mixing Star Wars and RPers may as well be sweeping up the rotting fruit that has already fallen off the branches, but it is still immensely satisfying. It took me reading this thread to realize that sometimes griefing is inherent, and the only solution.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So people are so wrapped up in their unorthodox opposite-characters that they get mad at evil sith and stoic jedi? Jesus. Do they also flip out about Wookiees that are hairy and Jawas that are short?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That said, playing as a light-side Sith is goddamned hilarious because of the reactions you get from Sith NPCs.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
Rpers griefing other Rpers is like furries griefing otherkin

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

fineX posted:

Rpers griefing other Rpers is like furries griefing otherkin

Otherkin are so beyond crazy that a lot of furries do like to grief them not just because they're so notably insane, but also because furries get bitter that they're lumped in with otherkin so much too. :v: RPers griefing RPers is still good though just for how silly it is.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Control Volume posted:

e:
A sort of related story: Some other RO stories have mentioned dead branches which can summon monsters in town. Well, this private server included plants (stationary mobs that drop herbs when killed) in the dead branch database. The plants, however, bugged out slightly when summoned; they were no longer stationary, and had the ability to attack. They had the slowest movement in the game and only had an attack that did 1 damage. But, due to being buggy, they also had the fastest attack rate possible within the game engine and could stunlock players with a ridiculous volume of attacks. The plants also had ridiculously high defense, so once they had gained a couple of levels, they were also impossible to kill without a dedicated effort. What resulted was an entire town being on alert and constantly shifting popular hangout areas around because of a slowly moving death plant.

Oh god, I think I remember this. It wasn't that uncommon either, some generic private server update that got rolled out did it. A similar thing happened when one of the geniuses in the private server development decided that, not knowing what flags needed to be set to the player entity... so he set all flags. Including the "Plant" flag. You know, the one that made attacks always do 1 damage to the entity.

So more than one server rebooted after updating to the latest SVN and suddenly all of the players were nigh-invincible. :allears: There's no way this was intentional, but god drat was it funny to see.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Otherkin are so beyond crazy that a lot of furries do like to grief them not just because they're so notably insane, but also because furries get bitter that they're lumped in with otherkin so much too. :v: RPers griefing RPers is still good though just for how silly it is.

Confirming this.

My brother is dating a drat Furry (caps required), and I hate her to death, but I do respect that she, firstly, realizes that she is a human and just really likes the furry aesthetic, as opposed to thinking that she was really supposed to be born as a giant green loving cat, and secondly, that she treats people who sexualize furry "culture" (is that a thing? Jesus) as beastiophiles, going so far as to wear a "Yiff in Hell, Furfags" shirt over her fursuit to a convention once.

I think that qualifies as a grief, for the sheer rage and confusion it caused. Too bad she's a horrible bitch queen or I'd really like this person.

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PokeWarVeteran posted:

Confirming this.

My brother is dating a drat Furry (caps required), and I hate her to death, but I do respect that she, firstly, realizes that she is a human and just really likes the furry aesthetic, as opposed to thinking that she was really supposed to be born as a giant green loving cat, and secondly, that she treats people who sexualize furry "culture" (is that a thing? Jesus) as beastiophiles, going so far as to wear a "Yiff in Hell, Furfags" shirt over her fursuit to a convention once.

I think that qualifies as a grief, for the sheer rage and confusion it caused. Too bad she's a horrible bitch queen or I'd really like this person.

Something about this story feels weird to me. "One of my friends" sort of vibe.

Is it you? Are you the furry dating your brother?

Dr Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 7, 2012

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we shut up about people liking things we don't like and get back to griefing stories? Unless you griefed a furry and can write up a story about it, it doesn't belong in this thread.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Dr Mantis Toboggan posted:

Did one of your eyebrows raise up slightly as you read the story?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Dr Mantis Toboggan posted:

Ha, neither.

I felt it was relevant somewhat, as she basically got chased out by an angry furry mob.

Minor LoL grief today: Guy ticked me off in pre-game chat, so I decided to steal his jungle buffs (I was top lane) every time he tried to get them.

Basically, he didn't take Smite, a skill that deals a large amount of damage to a monster (not players). As a jungler, his job is to kill monsters in the spaces between the lanes, and come ambush and kill enemies who get out of position in the lanes. Some of these monsters are big and bestow temporary buffs to mana regen, cooldown reduction, and damage and slow over time effects. They are an edge in every fight that junglers need, at least at first. Without them, some junglers are useless. The one he was playing, Amumu, NEEDS blue buff in order to be effective, as his skills drain mana like it's going out of style.

To impress upon him the need for Smite as a jungler, I stole every blue buff he went for. With the large damage Smite deals, it would have been impossible for me to do this.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Sounds like he griefed you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Diplomaticus posted:

Sounds like he griefed you.

I get the impression that playing DOTA/LOL is griefing everybody else who plays.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pope Guilty posted:

I get the impression that playing DOTA/LOL is griefing everybody else who plays.

This comes up every time dotalikes are mentioned. Playing them is griefing yourself, your teammates, and your opponents.

Portal 2 coop mode seems to reward you for loving with your friends. There are achievements for killing your coop partner in various ways, killing yourself (I think), and generally loving up the task. It's great.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 7, 2012

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Portal 2 coop mode seems to reward you for loving with your friends. There are achievements for killing your coop partner in various ways, killing yourself (I think), and generally loving up the task. It's great.
My experience of Portal 2 co-op was constantly finding new ways to kill my partner/reset puzzles, since "portal to the acid" is sort of boring if you do it more than once.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Another League of Legends grief is playing a champion that's capable of putting up temporary impassable walls and using them to block your team-mates instead of the enemy. This guy is probably the most well-known for it. His build involves buying the same item over and over again :allears:

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Warmachine posted:

Mixing Star Wars and RPers may as well be sweeping up the rotting fruit that has already fallen off the branches, but it is still immensely satisfying. It took me reading this thread to realize that sometimes griefing is inherent, and the only solution.

On launch, I rolled a jedi with the intent of being as crotchety and old as I could on an RP server. Now, there was a chest sitting near the edge of a zone, and I saw it from far away, and moved to grab it. I did, in fact, loot that chest. However unbeknownst to me, around the corner some non-jedi dude had been fighting something and felt that it was HIS chest. Typically, I would've just been like 'oh, sorry didn't see you' and that would be that. However, as I had a strike of inspiration and said when confronted 'As a Jedi, I know how to better use the gains here.' or some such. This pissed the person off so bad, they went on and on about how Jedi were supposed to be nice and paragons of generocity in General for some time. I never even talked to the guy after that comment, and went along my business. He didn't even name names, he just raged in general for a while.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nice new item spoof trick in Diablo 3 if anyone wants to try it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/uovpp/accidentally_discovered_item_chat_link_code/

Anything with more than three sockets will crash anyone who clicks it.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Back in vanilla WoW, I played a priest and my friend was a warrior. He was probably one of the best warriors I have seen play. We would get into a rhythm in instances and breeze through.

Since our guild had tanks he swapped over to a 2h mortal strike build. I was already geared but I always ran poo poo with him (easier to get a group when you already had a healer) to try and get him raid ready gear. I forget why but we did a Diremaul run for something (mid to high 40's dungeon, max level in vanilla was 60). A very nice caster staff dropped that noone needed and he won it randomly, little did I know this drop would cause endless rage and hilarity.

We later did an Upper Black Rock Spire run (15 man level 60 instance, alot of raid "required" gear dropped). He arrived in the dungeon with cloth robes and a hat on and wielding the staff. He came over and said "Hold on lemme buff you." He used a bunch of scroll buffs on me and I loving lost it. He turned his warrior into a priest and would sit down with me after pulls to "regain mana".

I was having a blast and laughing my rear end off, but people starting bitching at him to put his gear back on saying "he was taking too much damage". He would tell them he was a priest and in his gear. Eventually the raid leader booted him from the raid. This pissed me off because UBRS used to be a 10 man, making it a 15 man only made it easier. I was a raid geared healer who had no issues healing everyone and we were having no problems clearing. To make it funnier, staffs were 2h weapons with very high dps, so he was still crushing the dps charts (#2 and very close to #1). I very calmly told them to invite him back and they wouldn't. I linked the dps charts showing him as #2 and the healing charts showing me at #1 by a wide margin. They wisely decided to invite him back and deal with his shenanigans rather than lose us both mid dungeon.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
My current favorite diablo grief is to post in chat about how great the secret level is. People get mad that their super dark game got "ruined by those money grubbers at blizzard." Or you can post about.this sweet gear you got from tthe auction house.

Also joining a friend's game when you are a high level and he's on a hard difficulty. The enemies scale up, you are nowhere to be found, amd you gently caress off when he dies. I think you can do this in pub games too.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Oppenheimer posted:

My current favorite diablo grief is to post in chat about how great the secret level is. People get mad that their super dark game got "ruined by those money grubbers at blizzard." Or you can post about.this sweet gear you got from tthe auction house.

Also joining a friend's game when you are a high level and he's on a hard difficulty. The enemies scale up, you are nowhere to be found, amd you gently caress off when he dies. I think you can do this in pub games too.

I've gotten people to rage a few times by asking "Wats dis 'One of the chosen' thing?" When someone explains it I'll say something like "Oh lol i got invited into beta but i didn't install it."

For the uninitiated: Diablo 3 has a Feat of Strength for participating in the closed beta called "One of The Chosen." All it gives you is a generic banner sigil; it doesn't even give you any achievement points. The amount of rage from people who didn't get into the beta is astounding. Here's the official thread about it where people freaked the gently caress out over it: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3980868668?page=1

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

robodex posted:

For the uninitiated: Diablo 3 has a Feat of Strength for participating in the closed beta called "One of The Chosen." All it gives you is a generic banner sigil; it doesn't even give you any achievement points. The amount of rage from people who didn't get into the beta is astounding. Here's the official thread about it where people freaked the gently caress out over it: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3980868668?page=1

That thread is amazing.

WHY DID YOU REWARD PEOPLE WHO HELPED YOU TEST YOUR PRODUCT BLIZZARD, gently caress YOU I HATE YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Code Jockey posted:

That thread is amazing.

WHY DID YOU REWARD PEOPLE WHO HELPED YOU TEST YOUR PRODUCT BLIZZARD, gently caress YOU I HATE YOU

I knew there was a reason I will never not use that sigil. I haven't encountered anyone actually noticing it yet though.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

I think at one point someone proposed that someone make a thread on the D3 forums that was simply "Post screenshots of your hard-earned beta sigil here" but I don't think it ever came to fruition :smith:

[edit] Also for the record it's pretty hard to tell what sigil someone's using in-game unless you zoom in, so it's hard to really notice it. Especially since the sigil itself is pretty generic.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Code Jockey posted:

That thread is amazing.

I kind of get it. If you were already sore about missing the beta, then this is just rubbing it in. Plus it's an achievement that's impossible to get, so you have completion rage too.

But this reminds me: In Left4Dead there was an achievement for getting though an entire campaign without shooting your teammates a single time. Since the action can get pretty chaotic and you sometimes need to shoot a bunch of zombies off your teammates, this is really difficult. Plus you need all 4 team members to go for it the entire time.

So one day I join a game and this guy says it's one of the last achievements he needs, and since no one has it why don't we play extra careful and go for it. We all agree and do our best to follow through. But we keep making mistakes. It's pretty much inevitable that eventually someone will shoot the wrong place, or step in front of the wrong guy. The first few times were ok but each time, people started getting more pissed and blaming each other. The original guy had transformed from being pretty cool, to basically trying to coordinate everyone demanding we fire when and where he says.

Finally we've almost got it. Last few minutes on No Mercy, waiting for the helicopter. The guy is now full on bitch-mode but we've done it. The helicopter lands, and me and another guy hop in. The next guy is running toward it, with team leader about 10 feet back. I'm sure you knew where this was going since the first paragraph. Just before he gets to the helicopter, he stops, turns around, and shoots the last guy with a single pistol shot. We had all been laughing, cheering and congratulating each other and now we fell silent. A long second went by before he just erupted into screaming profanity. He wasn't even moving. Just standing there screaming. He get's pounced by a hunter and the game is over. The helicopter takes off as he lies on the ground getting eaten. his screams turning from profanity and insults to just wordless rage. I was pissed at first because I was getting griefed too, but it was worth it just to hear it.

I never did get that achievement.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
The One of the Chosen doesn't count towards completion and is cosmetic. People just like to be mad.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Oppenheimer posted:

The One of the Chosen doesn't count towards completion and is cosmetic. People just like to be mad.

Does it do gently caress all other than indicate to the population at large that you got take part in the beta?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Does it do gently caress all other than indicate to the population at large that you got take part in the beta?

No. It literally gives you no in-game advantage, not even E-Penis/Achievement points.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Blizzard games have "Feats of Strength" as an achievement category. Feats do not appear at all unless you actually have them (so if you have no feats the category is completely blank), do not give achievement points, and never have any reward beyond cosmetic ones (pets, banner things, icons, etc)

Generally feats are either time-limited stuff or absurdly hard poopsocky-type things.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 7, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

They exist solely to remind you that you did a thing that other people did not, and possibly remind other people as well. Predictably, people who don't have them get mad as hell about them.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Pope Guilty posted:

It is when you're grouped with people who don't understand basic game mechanics/strategy, in which case it's a painful slog until inevitable surrender.

On the other hand you have matches that are utterly amazing and make up for them. Like when people try to RP their character. Case in point, I was in a match with a very competent Statue of Karthas who consistently responded to angry allchat with civil war facts. When we won he immediately started typing the star spangled banner in all caps into aftermatch chat, prompting the entire other team to drop simultaneously. He was using that revive trick that someone posted about a few weeks ago too.

:patriot:

E: Well-coordinated teams running really stupid team compositions can cause immense amounts of rage/comedy too. This probably isn't worth watching if you haven't played league but it's silly and excellent if you know what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRjJR56LkgU

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2012

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Dr_Amazing posted:

I never did get that achievement.

Far too many achievements in that first game relied on your team mates not being idiots. I never managed to get the one for not getting boomer biled because everyone else I played with seems to want to bathe in the stuff. I'll admit though I've never played a game where I've not had some friendly fire.

I however managed to get the boomer AND no friendly fire one just recently. By playing single player on expert and kicking all the survivor bots :black101:

To contribute, when L4D2 finally got some of the campaigns from the original, a lot of the bugs from the original hadn't been fixed. The most famous one of which being the elevator on one map after a pretty big fight, which as it ascended, if you hit someone with a physics object (molotov, held gas cans, etc) they'd stop moving for a moment, but the elevator would still rise, and they'd fall through, do it near the end, and people would fall through and to their deaths, but do it early enough and they'd just land safely, but get stuck, with never ending waves of zombies coming after them.

L4D2 also featured a grenade launcher, it's grenades are physics objects, instead of only being able to make one team mate fall through the elevator, now you can get all of them. I believe it still isn't fixed.

The grenade launcher, and throwing molotovs is also great for catching people just as they get off of ladders above you, they end up stood on the molotov/grenade. and just ride it up 70-80 feet into the air, then they fall and die with no idea what happened.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 7, 2012

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
League of Legends: Nothing like Anivia walling team mates next to the enemy tower.

LOL FAIL WALL ANIVIA JASTIGER..or was it? *cackle*

Nothing enrages players in that game like following them around. Even playing well, just following them around talking about TEAM WORK.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Dreggon posted:

Another League of Legends grief is playing a champion that's capable of putting up temporary impassable walls and using them to block your team-mates instead of the enemy. This guy is probably the most well-known for it. His build involves buying the same item over and over again :allears:

People do this with creep in a DOTA-like called Hero Attack. It's a SC2 custom map, pretty fun time killer for a free custom. Anyway, a few heroes have abilities that let them fill a space with units. Dark Archon can mind control ground units, the zerg queen can spawn larvae which are controllable, a few other heroes can do the same thing and basically fill an area with units on hold position. Unlike putting a structure there, units will not change pathing.

So they build. And build. And build. Stacking on top of each other past a certain point. And they keep trying to path to the enemy base.

It griefs the other team, because you starve a lane (possibly two, if it's a two exit double spawn base with lanes that split) of all kills and xp. It griefs the person in the lane being denied on your team because you have to rely only on towers to kill creep and smart enemy heroes will quickly push you all the way back to your base while you struggle not to get killed from heroes taking pot shots at you while their creep tanks your towers for them.

I hate people who do this and gently caress it up every chance I get. While the units will block creep they move out of the way for heroes and so you can go run through their line and release a mega creep wave.

I was on a map once where they specifically blocked only one type of creep unit on a double lane and the game eventually just died because it wasn't designed to handle a spawn of a couple hundred stacked marines built up over a thirty minute match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jastiger posted:

League of Legends: Nothing like Anivia walling team mates next to the enemy tower.

LOL FAIL WALL ANIVIA JASTIGER..or was it? *cackle*

Nothing enrages players in that game like following them around. Even playing well, just following them around talking about TEAM WORK.

I'm of the impression that simply thinking about the game causes gaskets to blow. At least that's the way it is in my normal Skype call. It's amazing what kind of sheer rage even a bot game can produce in the people I hang out with. :negative:

• Locked thread