Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've really really tried to enjoy Tim and/or Eric. I have. I've seen many many minutes of their shows, whole episodes even, both sober and stoned. I don't get them. They just do not appeal to me in any way. I've not laughed once at any of their shows. They're aggressively unfunny to me and it's bewildering to me that some people who have generated genius-level comedy find it a good idea to include them in... anything. I realize I'm in a very very tiny minority on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Tim Heidecker is a fun vacuum.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mischitary posted:

but especially the part about how Jason Alexander would "do a Woody" so great that Woody Allen would just lose his poo poo and go bonkers.

Oh god, this part killed me, talking about how Woody Allen would just scream he loved it so much.

I'm neither here nor there on Tim as a guest, but this was definitely a solid episode. Really funny. Scott egging on Andy Daly as he was cracking up was great too.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
I like Tim Heidecker when he's in full control of his bits, but when he's up against other people he turns it into The Tim Heidecker Show with Special Guests. I haven't heard this episode yet and I guess it's good, but even the popcorn.com bit and the Irish Spring plugging were funny completely on Tim and Eric's terms. It would have been good on its own, outside of the context of the podcast.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
By the way, if you're like me and you're not familiar with Huell Howser, then watch this video because oh my god
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99Ek4YtTuw

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Lamuella posted:

The moment Tim came on and I got what his gimmick was going to be, I skipped the rest of the episode. I get it, I just find it loving ruins everything it touches.

Hey everybody, get a load of The Dope!

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Little Blue Couch posted:

By the way, if you're like me and you're not familiar with Huell Howser, then watch this video because oh my god

Oh my. I wasn't but oh my god does the CBB character really live up to the real guy in a spectacular fashion.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
So I checked out How Did This Get Made after seeing Scott was as a guestt as part of the lead-up tithe CBB show and absolutely loved it. Are there any othe great podcasts I'm missing out on in the vein of CBB and Doug loves Movies? I'm aware of Who Charted, but I'm not a music fan at all (movie/comedy kind of guy, what a shocker), is it for me? What's the other Earwolf shows like?

(Also, link your favorite episode if there are hidden gems)

E: oh Jesus Christ loving iPhone spelling errors

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 6, 2012

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

So I checked out How Did This Get Made after seeing Scott was as a guestt as part of the lead-up tithe CBB show and absolutely loved it. Are there any othe great podcasts I'm missing out on in the vein of CBB and Doug loves Movies? I'm aware of Who Charted, but I'm not a music fan at all (movie/comedy kind of guy, what a shocker), is it for me? What's the other Earwolf shows like?

I've only listened to the most recent episode of Improv4Humans (the one with Adam McKay as a guest) but it was pretty great.

Even if you aren't a music fan, you absolutely must listen to every episode of Analyze Phish (it's listed under "Earwolf Presents"). Do it. Right now.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm aware of Who Charted, but I'm not a music fan at all (movie/comedy kind of guy, what a shocker), is it for me?
Who Charted isn't about music. They also do a movie chart where they talk about the top 5 box office grossers of the week. Then at the end they do a chart about their guest. So if anything it's a third or less about music, and usually they're riffing on it or any topic that comes up. The best Who Charted episode is in my opinion this one with James Adomian. This is like starting at the top of the mountain though. A lot of other recent episodes won't compare.

Although if you're looking for a DLM style movie chat this isn't your podcast. Howard talks about most of them scene unseen style, which is probably even funnier than if he saw them. But he has said that he's going to watch more movies this summah.

Edit: Improv 4 Humans can also be pretty great depending on the guests. I can't think of any the stand out episodes off the top of my head because they all kind of blend in together but any episode with Andy Daly, Brian Huskey, Brett Gelman, Horatio Sans, Seth Morris, or Ben Schwartz is usually really good.

As for other earwolf podcasts, there's sklarbro country which is the sklars riffing on sports news with some indie rock thrown in but you don't need to love sports to listen. They make it funny and accessible to people who don't know anything about sports.

Gelmania can't be described. Just has to be heard.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 6, 2012

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Cool thanks! I'll check out Improv as soon as I get home/free wifi somewhere.
Currently listening to How Did This Get Made: 88 Minutes. I am loving dying over here.

Only listened to the latest Phish, was amazing though.
"I've taken a bunch of drugs now but I don't feel anything at all! Oh well..

...THIS. IS. FUN!!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The most fun I've had with an Earwolf podcast is still the Earwolf Challenge. God, that was good. Same they aren't doing another one.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The Live From Bridgetown! episode of Improv4humans is particularly excellent if you are starting out on listening to that podcast. It's got great guests and has the added bonus of being recorded with a live audience which in my opinion makes them take more risks with the skits. And believe me, there are some great skits in that one.

Also "How Did This Get Made?" is brilliant. I highly recommend their Sucker Punch, Twilight Breaking Dawn Pt 1 and Pluto Nash reviews. Most of all however is the Jingle All The Way episode, my god that one was great.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
The Punisher: War Zone episode of How Did This Get Made is really cool. The actual director of the movie is on with Patton Oswalt to talk about it.

And like everyone else said, if you like CBB then definitely listen to improv4humans.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Zsinjeh posted:

E: oh Jesus Christ loving iPhone spelling errors

You should give "The Flophouse" a shot. It is made by a Daily Show writer and his buddies and they discuss potentially bad movies. But they don't go for the low hanging fruits like "How did this get made" does.

Just listen to 2-3 episodes. If you don't like Eliots "words that sound like other words" segments after 3 episodes you won't like the podcast. They don't have many insider jokes but it is better to start with earlier episodes. I started with the "The Happening" episode and I loved it.

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Considering CBB the flagship, I also listen to Improv4Humans, Who Charted, and Professor Blastoff. All the others I pretty much ignore unless it looks like they have an interesting topic or guest.

Improv is consistently hilarious, but I don't really know or follow the improv scene, so most of the guests on it are complete nobodies to me. I can't get enough of it all the same because Matt Besser is just that loving compelling and he's able to wrangle incredible ridiculous scenes out of his guests every single episode.

Who Charted... I honestly consider giving up listening to every now and then, but Howard Kremer keeps me in it. And they're usually right behind CBB insofar as getting the best guests. Also the subject matter is interesting to me. So there's three pro's, but eh.

I'm not even current with Professor Blastoff, but the premise interested me so I started from the beginning and it really just started drawing me in. It wasn't even that great for the first few dozen episodes, but the fact that the same crowd consistently kept hosting it and building up a foundation of in-jokes and craziness really started to endear itself so that now I'm ALMOST caught up to the current episodes and I absolutely love it. It's one of those that I wouldn't recommend to everyone, but if you listen to a few episodes in a row and start to get the groove it's extremely addictive.

The premise of How Did This Get Made sounds awesome, but the problem is that I've never seen any of the movies they review, so I always feel like I'd be missing something, so I never listen to it. I might come back to that one later.

Outside of Earwolf, though, people should listen to Mike and Tom Eat Snacks and, non-comedy option: This American Life

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

Only listened to the latest Phish, was amazing though.
"I've taken a bunch of drugs now but I don't feel anything at all! Oh well..

...THIS. IS. FUN!!"

Aw, you really should have listened to this one in order. The phish show was sort of the culmination the first few eps build toward.

I should give professor blastoff another shot. I love tig, I just didn't love the first few eps enough to add the extra hour a week.

(I can't be the only one who's not psyched at the rollout of extra shows like Two Charted and Sklarbro County. I have too drat many podcasts already.)

CaptBushido posted:

Outside of Earwolf, though, people should listen to Mike and Tom Eat Snacks and, non-comedy option: This American Life
(We're definitely veering off-topic for this thread now, but...) MATES, UYD, The Bugle, You Look Nice Today, Roderick on the Line, Superego, and The Pod F Tompkast all take priority above any of the earwolf shows, imho, as far as comedy is concerned.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ugh, whenever I eat too much, in addition to feeling terrible, I get "I ate too much I feel so sick, I wanna take a bite of your turkey drumstick" stuck in my head. drat you Scotty Auks. :argh:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Ugh, whenever I eat too much, in addition to feeling terrible, I get "I ate too much I feel so sick, I wanna take a bite of your turkey drumstick" stuck in my head. drat you Scotty Auks. :argh:

I have this too! It's bizarre.

Also:
The Bugle, You Look Nice Today, Superego, The Pod F Tompkast

Answer Me This has its moments, it's done by the sister of one of the guys who does the Bugle. And even if it's a lame episode they're mostly 30 minutes long so it's good

e: Also Sklarboro Country is really funny (aside from a lot of the characters) even if you're not into sports. But if you're even tangentially interested in sports it's incredible.
And even if you're not into sports, you HAVE to listen to the Tom Lennon Sklarboro Country. You know who the other guest is? THE PRODUCER OF HOARDERS
I have never watched that show and nothing is funnier than Tom Lennon losing his mind at all the gross stuff the guy keeps talking about. It's funny and incredible

Also Professor Blastoff might be one of my favourite podcasts. And to the guy who's just catching up - there's one three weeks ago that is one of the most emotionally affecting podcasts I've ever heard.

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 7, 2012

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm aware of Who Charted, but I'm not a music fan at all (movie/comedy kind of guy, what a shocker), is it for me?

A big part of the show's charm for is that nobody on the show is too interested in the music either. Howard hates everything except for a few rap songs, Kulap thinks songs are ok if she can dance to them, and the guests consistently have never heard of any of the music, and often needs the song's genre explained to them.

They discuss the song for 30 seconds or so, then Howard brings up a weird factoid about the artist, and they spend the next five minutes discussing whether they would rather have a snaggletooth fixed or take a trip to Italy.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Also they discuss whether they would rather be friends with an artist or listen to their music. Earbuds or we're buds.

And they don't always do top 40 so you get some insane poo poo like A Winter Fairy's Melting a Snowman and then Howard makes an insane rap about it

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Little Blue Couch posted:

The loss of Huell Howser is a true body-blow for CBB. Like straight gut punch. I never in my life heard a more accurate and hilarious impression of somebody. You could switch out the real Huell in that video for CBB Huell and I'm almost certain he'd react almost exactly the same.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Blackula69 posted:

e: Also Sklarboro Country is really funny (aside from a lot of the characters) even if you're not into sports. But if you're even tangentially interested in sports it's incredible.
And even if you're not into sports, you HAVE to listen to the Tom Lennon Sklarboro Country. You know who the other guest is? THE PRODUCER OF HOARDERS
I have never watched that show and nothing is funnier than Tom Lennon losing his mind at all the gross stuff the guy keeps talking about. It's funny and incredible

Is that the flatcats ep? God that was great.

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Mischitary posted:

The loss of Huell Howser

what happened to huell howser?!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Didn't he turn into the angel of death?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Is that the flatcats ep? God that was great.

I gave it to my friend when she drove from Ottawa to Edmonton and she said she loved it to bits. And she hates sports!

SUPER IRAN-CONTRA
Jun 23, 2004

La Revolucion no tiene tiempo para elecciones

Mr. Squishy posted:

Didn't he turn into the angel of death?

yeah he's done something like that probably four times by now. And here you had me worried something serious had happened

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Bobby Malone posted:

A big part of the show's charm for is that nobody on the show is too interested in the music either. Howard hates everything except for a few rap songs, Kulap thinks songs are ok if she can dance to them, and the guests consistently have never heard of any of the music, and often needs the song's genre explained to them.

For me it's less charm than it is utterly the opposite of charm.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Blackula69 posted:

Also they discuss whether they would rather be friends with an artist or listen to their music. Earbuds or we're buds.

This is what I do with a lot of podcasts nowadays.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

Hmm. I hate sports, but I like Tom Lennon and Hoarders. I might have to check this episode out.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Julet Esqu posted:

Hmm. I hate sports, but I like Tom Lennon and Hoarders. I might have to check this episode out.

I listened to the episode and I liked it. The Hoarders stories were great. But I won't follow the podcast I think.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Also, while we're making recommendations, maybe try getting into sports because they're a lot of fun.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

For me it's less charm than it is utterly the opposite of charm.
It's not like a top 40 review podcast, that would be terrible. It's two people trying to keep up with the charts, one of whom is one of the weirdest individuals to ever walk the earth

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Everyone should listen to Ronna and Beverly with Scott Aukerman. It's very funny, trust me.

Oh yeah, that show is tonight. I don't think I have IFC. =/

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
There's always the season pass on iTunes.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Popelmon posted:

You should give "The Flophouse" a shot. It is made by a Daily Show writer and his buddies and they discuss potentially bad movies. But they don't go for the low hanging fruits like "How did this get made" does.

Just listen to 2-3 episodes. If you don't like Eliots "words that sound like other words" segments after 3 episodes you won't like the podcast. They don't have many insider jokes but it is better to start with earlier episodes. I started with the "The Happening" episode and I loved it.

I second this, especially if you like "How did this get made?" because the Flophouse is much better.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Blackula69 posted:

It's not like a top 40 review podcast, that would be terrible. It's two people trying to keep up with the charts, one of whom is one of the weirdest individuals to ever walk the earth

Seriously, I think the only job Howard could ever get is as a comedian. Dude is so strange I wouldn't want him doing anything else but sharing his bizarre worldview.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts
Ching Chong Matinee.

Spoiler Alert: It was Tim Allen.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
So do we talk about the TV show here, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Z.S. Ghost posted:

So do we talk about the TV show here, or what?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488611 (but you already know that since you posted in it)