  • Post
JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Blue Yeti should arrive tomorrow. Hope it works well. Was also approached by an online radio station that shut down and is in the process of reorganizing/relaunching to see if we'd like to be "syndicated" by them.

Anyone have any good advice on how to proactively promote the podcast? I'd like to get it out there beyond my friends.

It's a 1 hour long (ish) interview/shoot the poo poo podcast about comedy and whatever else is going on in the world with a cohost and usually a guest (mostly comedians, but we have plans to branch out). If anyone has any advice/comments, please feel free. Podcast is located here: http://fnstupid.podbean.com/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My god. I record one of our podcasts occasionally over skype. Right now I just use the MP3 Skype Recorder (I have windows 7 btw) and the audio quality is KILLING me. Are there better sounding options? At this point I don't even care if it costs money.

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

ChiTownEddie posted:

My god. I record one of our podcasts occasionally over skype. Right now I just use the MP3 Skype Recorder (I have windows 7 btw) and the audio quality is KILLING me. Are there better sounding options? At this point I don't even care if it costs money.

Have all sides record seperate tracks with headphones in and just synchronize your recording start time with a simple "1... 2... 3... Record." Then everyone sends their .wav file (so you don't wind up double compressing) to whoever does the editing. Just drag the extra tracks into whatever software you use. Works like a charm. Hardest part is uploading and downloading the files. http://minus.com/ has worked well for us though.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Pious Pete posted:

Yeah, I've been having similar issues. Even after my RSS updates it's been taking about half a day for iTunes to recognize and list new episodes recently. As long as your RSS is updating though people should get new episodes (iTunes redirects to your RSS feed, no actual hosting. They just allow ratings/ease of presentation). Maybe it's just a high traffic time of year? Have new episodes shown up EVENTUALLY or not at all?

On a similar note, I have my own RSS problem.

When I first started my show (about half a year ago?) I went with using tumblr as an RSS front and feedburner for the podcast. The problem is, I didn't realize tumblr had a 20-item limit on their RSS feeds. That means only our 20 most recent episodes appear in iTunes at a time, with the oldest getting bumped off every time we put out a new episode.

Now, nearly 30 episodes in I've started to get complaints from new listeners about older episodes not appearing in iTunes. I've been redirecting them to the actual mp3 links on tumlbr, but now that I actually have time to address the problem, I'd like to fix it.

Does anyone know a way transfer from one rss host to another without completely losing episode ratings, etc? We have separate hosting for the files, we just need a new rss front. The best lead I've had so far is the Import Tumblr Posts option on wordpress, but I'm not sure if there's any easier way or if I'll wind up losing anything.

Here are links to the iTunes listing, feedburner, and tumblr host.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ninjas-vs.-podcast/id473562353
http://feeds.feedburner.com/nvppodcast
http://nvppodcast.tumblr.com/

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just an update: I found out how to fix it - I was using a wordpress plugin called super cache and it compressed every page. I unchecked that option and the feed worked again. It's weird though because I've had that plugin for a long time and it's only in the last two weeks that iTunes decided it had a problem with it.

There's a Wordpress thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161913 ask them about it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Kaiho posted:

Wow, great that this thread exists. I'm looking for software recommendations.

I've run a show/podcast through my University's "radio station" (used in the loosest sense of the word). I've really loved doing it and thought to spin it out to do it independently once I finish my masters.

In the studio I used Adobe Audition to record voice, add tracks, mix them together and normalize/fade etc. That was on a PC.

I know I could get the Adobe package for the Mac which I have at home but that is insane $$ for what is essentially going to be a hobby (I harbor no illusions of grandeur). What could I use that would do the same sorts of things? Essentially a few tracks, crossfade, normalization in the software, mixdown into mp3. Inputs from microphone as well as other sources. Nothing fancy, right?

If you use a Mac, what's wrong with Garageband? I use it for my podcast.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

oNPQF9BGyPnT96yCh9be
3ghPBa0pOGQ9oCkCmMj0
aIW3Km4WhKIJu8s2cNqo
hm64rM33n1g7oDDsbdyR
i5BinqdUvcJoDFMX54kg
SGWELdIW72XxikgiX7QZ
JCz8m6X2iQPQ8KneeBHd
q4zdz7TczuG4ZkR7MTLK
hvOsV0ACw4A4PUPw7LL3
sV1PnRxFAtbkEShLE6Zw

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 28, 2023

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

If you use a Mac, what's wrong with Garageband? I use it for my podcast.

!!! This did not even cross my mind thanks to me never having even used Garageband. Of course, it's a multitrack wave editor. In fact it even has an option for podcast creation. That's brilliant. Thanks for the tip.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.

Zero Gravitas posted:

So no one here has experience using a Snowball or Snowball Ice mic? :/ I dont like to gripe but my previous post has apparently been studiously ignored for about a week.

I thought that only happened to me. :)

Sorry, bud - no helpful advice. Sounds interesting though.

Here's a question since I'm pimping myself out for interviews - do you find it helpful for your guests to have a 'talking points sheet'? Some people love it, some people hate it - my googlefu suggests that they're nice to have so I made one:

http://flotillaonline.com/media-kit/talking-points/

Does this make me more or less of a lovable guest?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Zero Gravitas posted:

So no one here has experience using a Snowball or Snowball Ice mic? :/ I dont like to gripe but my previous post has apparently been studiously ignored for about a week.

I have Snowball. Its what I recorded most of my early podcasts with using Garageband. Its a perfectly fine mic. I've even done paid work with it. Great starter mic.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Somebody asked some time ago about recording and it occurred to me. How does your mix work? Granted the picture is a bit dark, but I thought it'd be fun to see what you guys had!

http://www.wedgeradionetwork.com

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Not to argue semantics but feedback rarely presents itself as a buzz. Microphones have certain frequency responses. This means that they don't pick up all frequencies equally. There are multiple factors from casing design, unintentional effects of the mic type, or intentional choices by the designer. Some mics boost the lows to give more body to the recording, others might boost a higher range to encourage clarity.

Your mics manual will (or it better drat should) have a graph showing you the response. You'll see a line with some peaks and valleys. When you bring your mic close to a realtime playback device be it speakers or headphones you are now tossing that frequency response back at itself. So everything the mic picks up well is louder and coming out the speaker. The mic pics up that frequency well so naturally it then grabs that and puts it back out the speaker. This causes the feedback loop. That's why feedback is often a high pitched squeal. Mics response ranges often are weighted in the higher ranges, so those get hooked into.

A buzz could have many different causes from a bad cable, the natural noise floor of the mic (My C1 Behringer is pretty noisy, so I have to be a bit louder to compensate), or from contamination of something throwing off a lot of electromagnetic noise which if strong enough can interfere with recording.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

[...]

I suppose ringing would be a better word. It starts whenever the line goes up, so I know where it's coming from. It's because the input is into the same computer. It's a separate sound card though...

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Note: So I was going to ask some questions on your setup and went through your posts and got the links you spammed and made the mistake of listening.

I got to ask what's you end goal with your broadcasting? Because it sounds like you want to go shock jock as evidenced by calling conjoined sisters a "this two headed monster, walking around scaring dogs of all sorts" for instance. Real classy by the way. Oh, hey jokes about sexually assaulting family members too. Oh boy, you are now going to start a segment about the "perfect woman". Your co-host has said he could easily abuse a woman with no legs. This is utterly embarrassing. "If she has a good face she can be missing limbs." I can't imagine why you put this online for people to listen to. I can only assume that people DON'T listen to 2 hours of this. The gently caress are you doing with your time. You have a decent voice, a decent set up, and experience broadcasting and can carry a topic. You just choose the worst topics.

Skipping around this is just tripe. You've been doing this for 5 years and are still barely scratching any internet presence. Searching for your show gives me tons of links to just podcast consolidation places or links to your websites. Almost no where else. You have a youtube account with a single video over 2,000 views, and the rest are lucky to break 100.

Simply put you are doing something VERY wrong. You should be doing so much better than you are considering you have a LOT going for you. If I were you I'd take a long hard look at what you are doing and what realistic goals you should have.

You've been doing this for years and you're making jokes like you are that rebellious edgy kid who sits alone at lunch in the cafe assuming no one "gets him". Talking about two girls who (as most of the rest of the loving world knows already) are pretty loving cool people and calling them "monsters" or alienating massive portions of listeners by casually discussing sexual assault, claiming it'd be "so easy to abuse a woman with no legs" you're not going to get anywhere.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.

WedgeRadio posted:

I suppose ringing would be a better word. It starts whenever the line goes up, so I know where it's coming from. It's because the input is into the same computer. It's a separate sound card though...

On a side note - thanks for having me on tonight - it was a blast!

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

OppositeOfLove posted:

On a side note - thanks for having me on tonight - it was a blast!

Thanks man, it was a fun segment.

I'm going to post it on Youtube when I get the chance, I'll let you know when I do.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Zero Gravitas posted:

So no one here has experience using a Snowball or Snowball Ice mic? :/ I dont like to gripe but my previous post has apparently been studiously ignored for about a week.

I bought one used based on recommendations from this thread, it's a good mic. I know nothing about sound and radio and all that stuff and it works good.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.

WedgeRadio posted:

Thanks man, it was a fun segment.

I'm going to post it on Youtube when I get the chance, I'll let you know when I do.

Did you post it to Youtube or should I record it off of Ustream?

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

OppositeOfLove posted:

Did you post it to Youtube or should I record it off of Ustream?

It's not the video, but it's the segment with better audio. http://youtu.be/HsDR3eIdl4k

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.

WedgeRadio posted:

It's not the video, but it's the segment with better audio. http://youtu.be/HsDR3eIdl4k

BOOYAH!

Posted to the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/flotillaonline) and now it's on my Media Kit ahead of Adam Carolla (http://www.flotillaonline.com/media-kit). Congrats!

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 12, 2012

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Podcast goons. I'm about at my wits end with this problem I'm having.

For some reason, apparently no reason at all, Feedburner has stopped recognizing my uploads as mp3s.

If you look at my feed, and my podcast blog

In my feed, most of my posts have an orange "Play Now" link. But my most recent (as well as my first two) don't. No matter how many times I reupload the files and tinker with the names, Feedburner won't recognize them as mp3s. They still download fine through iTunes but I can't get any stats on my downloads. In the past I was able to fix this by reuploading the file a couple times. But now this doesn't even work.

What the fffff is going on? I haven't changed a single thing about how I produce/tag/upload the mp3s.

I am about ready to take Wordpress.com out back behind the barn.

Help me goons, you're my only hope.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I just got an email from a Real Doll who enjoyed my latest podcast.

I'm moving up in the world!

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Layout of this post shamelessly stolen from Song For The Deaf.

KBAMcast
iTunes | RSS
YouTube Channel
Genre: Gaming
Released: Weekly, Thursdays
Goon: Dohaeris

A friend and I from a Vent server started this podcast. I had the original desire to start one based on enjoying a bunch of podcasts myself and being dissatisfied with the gaming podcasts I listened to in the past outright lying or making things up about games. Also, I'm a substitute teacher and multiple classes of students have informed me that I need to be on the radio, so that was weird/inspiring.

Also, we're giving away some games on Steam to people who can figure out the games the soundclips in our intro music are from. Details for that are in the latest episode, 7. No one has figured it out yet. We may have made it a tad too hard, given how few listeners we have. But I'm SniperGuy, so let me know what you think.

Audio quality is pretty good I think, considering the hardware and software we're using. Keagle is using some weird new fancy mic, I'm using a rock band USB mic and we're using TotalRecorder and Skype to do the actual recording. Then I mix it with Audacity.

Oh, we also did a power hour on YouTube while playing Hardcore Diablo 3. That was not fun for my liver.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.
Me and a few friends try to do a regular podcast about what is happening in mobile technology. Everything from apps to devices and even to the companies that make them. Really in depth opinions and good discussions with guests.

Looking for getting some sponsors, anyone have an idea on where I should look?

http://ishist.com/
iTunes | RSS | Stitcher

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone want to take over the admin position of the gooncasts.com wiki page?

I still own the gooncasts.com domain and am happy to forward it to the wiki page, but since it's been ages since I put out a podcast I feel bad that people might be waiting forever to be approved.

King Lou posted:

I just got an email from a Real Doll who enjoyed my latest podcast.

I'm moving up in the world!

That is spooky as gently caress.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
My podcast, Role Playing Public Radio, is up for an Ennie for Best Podcast.

Please vote if you like my podcast or want to support a goon http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/

Vote Role Playing Public Radio as 1 in the Best Podcast category.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007
We've just launched the first ever animated version of our podcast, and I'd love some feedback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYf9dzlxAMg

It's all done with Kinect motion capture (I am an animator by day), which means we can turn around new episodes pretty quickly now that the puppets are built.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Fake Green Dress posted:

We've just launched the first ever animated version of our podcast, and I'd love some feedback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYf9dzlxAMg

It's all done with Kinect motion capture (I am an animator by day), which means we can turn around new episodes pretty quickly now that the puppets are built.

I liked it. It was funny, there was enthusiasm, the people were interesting. I'd watch more for sure. If I have any critical feedback it would be the obligatory "better micing" comment, but I could understand everything so it's not that big a deal.

Nice job

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
We've started doing a web series about what happens before we go on the air at the Wedge Radio Show. It's a fun project, especially since I do everything here at the Network http://www.wedgeradionetwork.com so it's nice to just act in a piece and not do much besides that.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
What day and time do you guys release your podcast and why? What day and time do you feel is optimal? I've seen some blog that say Friday, but not much else.

Currently I do a Sunday at midnight release because I don't have time during the week to edit. This does not feel like the optimal time to release, but I feel like delaying it to a Friday would be too long, as we record on Mondays, meaning a 2 week delay instead of our current one week delay, which is more of a necessary evil.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The days that I release my podcasts are determined by when it's most convenient to record and edit them. I record Those drat Ross Kids on Sunday nights, and release them on Tuesdays. Don't Tree Riddle is recorded on Tuesday, and released on Friday. And Watch Out for Fireballs! is recorded on the weekend and released on Thursday, but it requires a lot of editing.

It's not really strategic at all, except that releasing stuff BY Friday is good, since downloads spike as people download stuff to listen to over the weekend.

Fake Green Dress
Jan 31, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

It's not really strategic at all, except that releasing stuff BY Friday is good, since downloads spike as people download stuff to listen to over the weekend.

We release on Tuesdays, and we actually find the opposite to be true. We have relatively few weekend downloaders -- seems like most of our traffic comes from people who listen while commuting to work.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Anyone going to DragonCon? Goon podcasters meetup?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Sorry, I'm going to PAX!

Thecate
Aug 30, 2006

Look under 'T' for 'The Meownarch!!'
i record a podcast with another goon and two others normies on occasion.

wikiphilia

essentially, one of us drives, we pick some wikipedia articles we thought were interesting, and we shoot the poo poo talking about it for 30 mins or so. we all worked together, and we did this during our lunches, so we figured we'd start recording it.

one of the things we like about our show is each of us are very different storytellers, so i think it keeps things different from show to show.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Holy poo poo. The AV Club just reviewed my podcast.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/john-darnielle-rules-on-judge-john-hodgman-and-mik,84671/

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Haha 'idiot aggregator Something Awful'!

That's great though! That's what you get for sticking to it.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
I do a two-person podcast that use a simple board, two condenser mics and my laptop. But, I'm thinking it might be fun to do man on the street interviews, or want something that might allow for an on-the-go recording.

I'd like to use my iPhone as the recording source and just use a handheld mic, but I'm seeing there's a lot more hoops to hop through then just plugging the mic into the phone and away I go.

Do any of you do anything like this and if so, what kind of setup do you use (mics, adapters, etc)? Any mics using phantom power can't be used, so I'd need to get another mic for it anyway. Nothing too expensive, just something that would get some fair audio on the go.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I did this in a crowded room with lots of crowd noise with irig mic and the app they have in the app store. I did run the noise reduction filter in audacity over it, but the quality is pretty good considering it was recorded in a crowd of people

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Ulta posted:

I did this in a crowded room with lots of crowd noise with irig mic and the app they have in the app store. I did run the noise reduction filter in audacity over it, but the quality is pretty good considering it was recorded in a crowd of people

Huh, this seems like exactly what I was looking for. Listening to your recording, it sounds pretty good. I assume you're moving the mic back and forth between you and the subject. There's no noise from the cord when you move around, is there? I have some really cheap mics that tend to do that.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

AKA Driver posted:

Huh, this seems like exactly what I was looking for. Listening to your recording, it sounds pretty good. I assume you're moving the mic back and forth between you and the subject. There's no noise from the cord when you move around, is there? I have some really cheap mics that tend to do that.

Back and forth. I didn't notice noise, but I'm not the biggest audio guy. It has been a pretty handy mic, but as a warning, the 3.5mm jack is a combined audio/mic line (if that makes sense), so it works on things like an IPhone and other phones, but to get it to work with my computer which has separate audio and mic ports, I have to use this splitter thing I found and had lying around, which doesn't come with the mic.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4