Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?
Has Annie's ability to move things in the real world from the ether evolved enough to launch people across the room or is this just a Zimmy thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Roger Explosion posted:

How she managed to so that from a headlock is this chapter's biggest mystery thus far.
I think a big part of the problem here is that telegraphing action, particularly in a sequential fashion, is really hard and not really one of the comic's strong suits (understandable, since there haven't been a lot of opportunities to practice it). Like panel 6 of the new one, the lines of Annie's pose are shooting off to the right, so Zimmy should be over there somewhere, but instead she's kinda floating right above Annie.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Looks like the key was finding Annie's buttons that would provoke an emotional response despite the mask. Her dad is always good for that.

Lots of etheric violence in this episode. The important part of this page is that it confirms that yes, Anthony really went suddenly flying when Zimmy punched him, to the surprise of nearby bystanders.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Zimmy: Trolling everyone's subconscious since day 1

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Roger Explosion posted:

How she managed to do that from a headlock is this chapter's biggest mystery thus far.

Psychic Judo :haw:

Is it time to say "Welcome back, Annie"?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Interesting note: Her dad probably taught her that throw.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The best part is imagining how that looked from Kat's perspective. Zimmy just gets sent flying.

Especially once you realize that Zimmy's movement in the ether correlating to her movement in the real world means that Kat has been watching her walk around and make random, incomprehensible motions for the last couple of minutes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Roger Explosion posted:

How she managed to do that from a headlock is this chapter's biggest mystery thus far.

Well this is all taking place inside someone's head right? Who cares about the physics of it?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

YOUR COURT CIVIC CENTER PRESENTS THE BRAWL OF THE CENTURY

THE RAGIN' REDHEAD TAKES ON EL DEMONIO MISTERIOSA

A TICKET PAYS FOR THE WHOLE SEAT BUT YOU ONLY NEED THE EDGE

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Huh, Annie I still really defensive of her father. Zims is right though. He's a jerk.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, dream-Jones gave Annie the mask in the forest. I wonder what that means? Zimmy assumed that Annie had a thing for Jones initially. I think it's more likely that Annie admires the way Jones handles herself, assumes it must stem from her lack of emotion, and has been trying to emulate that emotionlessness to make herself stronger. It doesn't work, though. Annie's too attached to Kat to keep the mask on around her, and even when she wears it it's easy to get a rise out of her anyway.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The most important question right now is what happened to Kat's pigeon! :ohdear:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

andrew hit it when he threw the blinker stone and it died, its dead

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Leovinus posted:

So, dream-Jones gave Annie the mask in the forest. I wonder what that means? Zimmy assumed that Annie had a thing for Jones initially. I think it's more likely that Annie admires the way Jones handles herself, assumes it must stem from her lack of emotion, and has been trying to emulate that emotionlessness to make herself stronger. It doesn't work, though. Annie's too attached to Kat to keep the mask on around her, and even when she wears it it's easy to get a rise out of her anyway.

Yeah, well she didn't have the mask on when she was with Kat, she just had it covering her copying Kat's work.

That said, with regards to the forest scene with Jones, I think it's easier to take it closer to literally - that she was finally expressing herself totally in the forest, without any repression, but a visit from Jones - perhaps to take her back to the court, perhaps just to check up on her - forces her to reassume her controlled mark. After all, she's been doing the unemotional appearance thing for a lot longer than she's known Jones.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Opposing Farce posted:

Especially once you realize that Zimmy's movement in the ether correlating to her movement in the real world means that Kat has been watching her walk around and make random, incomprehensible motions for the last couple of minutes.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1038

She's been at the side of the bed the whole time. Wasn't until she got thrown that her body actually moves from that spot all chapter.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Potsticker posted:

I'd take the under if 4.5 is the bar. If it doesn't make sense by the end of next week (3 more updates) then I fully expect it to start making sense at 4.

I'll bet that this chapter ends in under 4.5 updates, but I don't expect that any of it will make sense until we get the Coyote exposition chapter.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I'll bet that this chapter ends in under 4.5 updates, but I don't expect that any of it will make sense until we get the Coyote exposition chapter.

Coyote does usually clarify things and answer all of our questions.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Froodulous posted:

Has Annie's ability to move things in the real world from the ether evolved enough to launch people across the room or is this just a Zimmy thing?

I was trying to figure out why your avatar looked different from the one I made, but it wasn't until now that I realized I made it 150x150 for some reason.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Maybe it was all just a dream!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've known about Gunnerkrigg Court for years, but never got 'round to reading it. Yesterday I was procrastinating and thought I might read the first few chapter. 12 hours later I was all caught up and now Annie's in a coma and I don't have any more to read and I want a GC avatar and it's just so good I don't know what I'm going to do!

Okay, I'll calm down now. And maybe re-read the entire comic again.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

cptn_dr posted:

Yesterday I was procrastinating and thought I might read the first few chapter. 12 hours later I was all caught up and now Annie's in a coma and I don't have any more to read
Yeah the only disappointing thing about reading GC from start to finish is when you get to that last page. And realize it's 4AM.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Second most disappointing thing is crossing a time zone while on leave, and checking an hour early for a new update.

...:negative:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Oh man, I bet this is a setup for another fakeout like this page, and on Wednesday Zimmy says "A HUGE-NOSED NERD" and struts out of the room cackling

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A pidgeon nesting in your head is pretty terrifying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Annie's mask breaking might have had consequences for Zimmy, who, you'll recall, has previously confused herself with Annie.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is something that really should have been up on Friday somehow :v:

I think that Zimmy is telling the truth. She looks actually shaken on panel 7. Gamma's expression in the same panel seems pretty telling as well; as far as I know, she's never been characterized enough to have a mean streak either.

Fake edit: I wonder if Gamma will ever see much characterization? So far she's just really nice, rather mysterious, and spends all her time protecting Zimmy from herself. We haven't really seen any other sides to her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I suspect Zimmy is thinking either herself or Kat is someone else.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I hope the next page switches to Zimmy Cam so we can see what see's seeing. What could have her so scared?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Maybe because of the Tic Tocs she's afraid of birds?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Clearly Kat looks like an angel. You have any idea how creepy those guys are?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Boogaleeboo posted:

I came here to say this. :3: She looks... Like an angel!

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Boogaleeboo posted:

Especially the ones that have four heads or are just wheels covered in eyes.

Kat has four heads, each with its own pigeon.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wow, this went kinda :smith: really quickly.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

pik_d posted:

Maybe because of the Tic Tocs she's afraid of birds?

I think it's a variation of this. Somehow, the pigeon on Kat's head turned into a Tic-Toc, or something similar.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If Kat is an angel and Zimmy is a demon then fear would make sense...

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
I'm thoroughly confused right now.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Dammit Who? posted:

Oh man, I bet this is a setup for another fakeout like this page, and on Wednesday Zimmy says "A HUGE-NOSED NERD" and struts out of the room cackling

I am going to support the setup theory. She is going to make some terrible joke at the expense of Kat's feminity issues. "I am not interested in you Dolan! Stop undressing me with your mind, you creep!"

Gamma looks concerned because she isn't aware of that. She is as confused at Kat in that scene, and is worrying about Zimmy.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tollymain posted:

Fake edit: I wonder if Gamma will ever see much characterization? So far she's just really nice, rather mysterious, and spends all her time protecting Zimmy from herself. We haven't really seen any other sides to her.

Well we do know that Zimmy lies to her about what other people are saying, I wonder if she'll find out sometime.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Heliotrope posted:

Well we do know that Zimmy lies to her about what other people are saying, I wonder if she'll find out sometime.

I kinda think she found out when Annie told her. That scenario wasn't really Zimmy being a habitual liar so much as it was her being frustrated and pissed off and unhappy that there were a bunch of people around when she was hoping there'd be nobody around and then Kat's all telling people "she's always like this", and it's a time when she's pretty stressed out and has been anticipating rainfall for what I'm sure feels like an eternity. Sometimes you get angry and lie to your partner to get her on your "side" in a conflict that really only exists in your head.

I mean it's easy to judge when you live in a world where everybody has a face and you've got a good grip on what's real or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ChairMaster posted:

I kinda think she found out when Annie told her. That scenario wasn't really Zimmy being a habitual liar so much as it was her being frustrated and pissed off and unhappy that there were a bunch of people around when she was hoping there'd be nobody around and then Kat's all telling people "she's always like this", and it's a time when she's pretty stressed out and has been anticipating rainfall for what I'm sure feels like an eternity. Sometimes you get angry and lie to your partner to get her on your "side" in a conflict that really only exists in your head.

I mean it's easy to judge when you live in a world where everybody has a face and you've got a good grip on what's real or not.

Annie didn't really tell her, she just asked why Gamma thought everyone hated her. The note for the comic says

quote:

Her translations are not always the truth.

------------------------

Zimmy is straight up lying. She knows the best way to keep a friend is to make them think everyone else hates them.

And there was this bit from the City Face arc