Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

gariig posted:

Moving to Seattle is a red herring. I just need to get a local phone number but I don't want to spend $15/month for a POTS line just so I can buzz friends into our apartment. I was hoping to find a service like Google Voice (but not Google Voice) where I can get a Seattle phone number that will ring my cell phone.

You can change your google voice number, it's like $10 I think. That plus having a local phone number may outweigh the hassle of updating your friends with your new number, but that's on you to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

gariig posted:

Moving to Seattle is a red herring. I just need to get a local phone number but I don't want to spend $15/month for a POTS line just so I can buzz friends into our apartment. I was hoping to find a service like Google Voice (but not Google Voice) where I can get a Seattle phone number that will ring my cell phone.
Can you not get a separate google voice number under a different account and forward it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

randyest posted:

Can you not get a separate google voice number under a different account and forward it?

Or he could spend $20 once and get a second number.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/10/google-voice-now-lets-you-have-multiple-numbers-on-one-account-for-a-fee/

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

randyest posted:

You can't forward one Google Voice number to another Google Voice number which is why I need a solution that isn't Google Voice. I also don't want to switch my phone number unless absolutely necessary because I've had the number for 10 years.

Edit: I've thought about porting my number to Google Voice and get another number for my cell phone that is local to Seattle. Just seems like there is another way

gariig fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 6, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
When you "switch" your number, you still have the old one for 90 days. You can pay Google $20 during those 90 days to keep both numbers permanently. I'm not sure how it would work with Sprint.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ManPortable posted:

I use SugarSync and it's been great for me. A free account is 5GB and I upgraded to 30GB when they had a 50% off promotion (which they seem to offer quite often). They have a pretty nice iphone app if that's important to you.

Yes SugarSync seems to not well enough known.

Dropbox has the stupid web game to earn space, and it still does not have as much as SugarSync starts with.

(I really wish I could remember my SkyDrive login so I could get 25gb grandfathered, which is just right to store my personal stuff, and the training vids I need to share out to people.

SkyDrive gives 7gb right from the start, but I cannot use the autosync with my old OS X (10.6.8). It requires 10.7.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My normal source of cheap tickets to Six Flags Great Adventure has vanished. Does anyone know of any good deals/coupons floating around out there? I want to take my sister, but I can't afford two full price tickets. :(

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/sixflags.com

This site is a pretty reliable source for coupons and codes, but I dunno if those work.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

kapalama posted:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/sixflags.com

This site is a pretty reliable source for coupons and codes, but I dunno if those work.

None of them work for Six Flags Great Adventure, NJ. :sigh:

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Why does Youtube still not have a reliable, working "Watch this next"-button? As in, "When I press this button the video in question will ACTUALLY start playing after the currently playing video without needing me to get up off my sweaty rear end from this very comfortable position I had relaxed in with a cold beverage after a long day of study to watch people getting hit in the nuts"-button. NO I don't mean playlists, those loving things never work and don't automatically start playing new videos. Why does this not exist? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Are you trying to play songs or actual videos?

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know which western countries offer paramedicine/EMT education at a college/university level? (besides the UK)?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jiriam posted:

Does anyone know which western countries offer paramedicine/EMT education at a college/university level? (besides the UK)?

The United States does. EMT/Paramedic training is usually done at 2-year community/vocational colleges. You must complete an EMT training course in order to take the national EMT exam. Each state can decide on how much training is required. In my state (Missouri), the training takes about a year.

Once you have passed the national exam to become an EMT and have about 100 hours of experience, you can enter a paramedic program. The paramedic training program will typically take another 1-2 years - more the former than the latter - to complete and usually results in a 2-year associates degree. Completion of a certified paramedic program allows you to take the national paramedic exam.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

How does a company facebook presence work?

I tried to register, but the automated system rejected the name because it was not a real persons's name.

So how does a compnay facebook presence get built? Is it all built off of one personal account?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
If you're logged out of facebook, there's a link on the bottom of the page to "Create a Page for a Celebrity, Band, or Business".

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Can I have my vehicle registered at one address and my license registered at a different address?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

If you're logged out of facebook, there's a link on the bottom of the page to "Create a Page for a Celebrity, Band, or Business".

Thanks, that did the trick.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Obscurity posted:

Can I have my vehicle registered at one address and my license registered at a different address?

You can in my state. I have just left the address on my license as my parents place for years. Haven't bothered changing whilst my car is registered just wherever I'm at.

Don't see why you can't?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Fists Up posted:

You can in my state. I have just left the address on my license as my parents place for years. Haven't bothered changing whilst my car is registered just wherever I'm at.

Don't see why you can't?

What about if I'm renewing them both at the same time, and need to change my License address to my current residence, but my registration was changed to my moms address?

Basically I am not going to pass the e-check in my county.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

b0nes posted:

Are most of the things on Kickstarter patented already? Or do people submit an idea and if it is good and people donate use the money to apply and research a patent? I have a good idea for a removable roof luggage rack for cars, but I lack the funds to apply for a patent.

I doubt it. Judging by the 'awful kickstarters' thread in GBS it seems like most people come up with an idea (and maybe a prototype or demo) and hope that people will throw money at them. It doesn't even look like a lot of people on Kickstarter are operating as registered businesses let alone going through the patent process.

stubblyhead posted:

Other things like Heroin, for instance.

On the topic of drugs, how many mg are in a dose (for lack of a better word) of meth? I mean mg of actual methamphetamine, not including whatever it was cut with.

Your best bet is to look up this information on Erowid. Anecdotally, meth is sold in 'points' meaning 1/10th of a gram. A point will last a light user several days if they are only smoking a small amount at a time and are spacing out their hits. Conversely, a heavy user may smoke a point in one go and may smoke several points or more a day.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Obscurity posted:

What about if I'm renewing them both at the same time, and need to change my License address to my current residence, but my registration was changed to my moms address?

Basically I am not going to pass the e-check in my county.

I'd bet that you would be breaking some law (maybe insurance issues too?). Most places have figured out the easy sidesteps for smog checks and got rid of them.

Best person to ask would be the person at the DMV. They don't really care one way or the other, if it's ok to do they will gladly take your money. If not explore your options.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I'd bet that you would be breaking some law (maybe insurance issues too?). Most places have figured out the easy sidesteps for smog checks and got rid of them.

Best person to ask would be the person at the DMV. They don't really care one way or the other, if it's ok to do they will gladly take your money. If not explore your options.

I wonder if they'd overlook it if I renewed them on different days. Or even better..the tags via mail (online renewal) and the license at the DMV. That should work theoretically, yeah?

Edit: Sites broke or something..even though I changed my address it still asks if I live at the one I'm at instead of my mother's address. Oh well I was able to change address for both online to my mom's so I just need to tell them I want to renew and no questions should be asked I'm assuming.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 8, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

In Skype video calls, a good 20% of the screen is covered by the stupid button overlays but they don't fade away. I poked around but have not found a way to disable them. Is there a way to get a clean video window? I'll do anything third-party or edit files if I need to, I just think this program sucks poo poo and the buttons are a terrible design.

Dishsoap
Dec 8, 2007
I just found a rather large roach in my bathroom and it managed to wedge itself under the baseboard before I could find something to kill with. I've been at my current apartment for over a year now and have never seen a roach in that time. Should I be worried about a roach invasion or is it pretty common for just one roach to sneak in somewhere?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why don't trains have seatbelts?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

change my name posted:

Because in a train crash, the seatbelt would be the equivalent of the twine you use to tie a chicken's legs together before you roast the sucker.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

change my name posted:

The seating is usually designed to provide equivalent restraint in the kinds of crashes a train might end up in - similarly this is why many buses don't have seatbelts.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
This begs the question of why planes have seatbelts then.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

OneEightHundred posted:

Wishful thinking?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OneEightHundred posted:

in case of turbulence

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Dishsoap posted:

I just found a rather large roach in my bathroom and it managed to wedge itself under the baseboard before I could find something to kill with. I've been at my current apartment for over a year now and have never seen a roach in that time. Should I be worried about a roach invasion or is it pretty common for just one roach to sneak in somewhere?
Here's how you find out: you spray a fuckload of roach killer in the cracks behind that baseboard and wait for hell to pour out. If you've never seen any before this one you should hopefully be in good shape.

You want a horror story? One time I found a few roaches in my kitchen, in an old lovely apartment I was renting. Took a can of Raid and gave a good spraying in the gap behind the cabinets over the sink. There was an outpouring - a veritable waterfall of roaches that came cascading out from behind that cabinet and into my sink. It rained a steady stream of roaches for five minutes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Prometheus opens this weekend and I want to see it. My wife's never seen Alien, or any of the Alien movies: would you say the first one is a prerequisite for seeing Prometheus, or could it probably stand on its own?

greazeball posted:

in case of turbulence
That, plus people do survive plane crashes pretty regularly, and without seatbelts they probably wouldn't stand a chance.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

jackpot posted:

Prometheus opens this weekend and I want to see it. My wife's never seen Alien, or any of the Alien movies: would you say the first one is a prerequisite for seeing Prometheus, or could it probably stand on its own?

There's really no connection besides the general "universe", she won't be missing anything

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

One part of why buses and trains do not need seatbelts is that massive deformation (like what happens in cars and planes) does not happen as often because there is not the mass differential.

Cars deform because they are not as massive as the striking object (big trucks, bridge abutments). Trains and buses are as massive as the stricking objects.

Planes' striking object is the earth which is pretty dang massive.

Things that deform need to have the egg locked in place becuase the area of safety is rather small.

Seatbelts are not safe in and of themselves: they strangle people, dislocate body parts, and ever dismember people. The seat belt stripe welt is as ugly a bruise as there is.

But seatblets do keep people in the spot of relative safety. Have a distance of less than 1/4" to undergo massive deceleration is just better than the people ended up outside the deforming body, but it is not at all the best way to protect people. The best way to protect people is to spread that decelrating force over a greater distance. Impossible in cars, possible in trains and buses. Thus seat belts in cars. Cushioned seatbacks in buses and trains, with mounting bolts that will shear, and frame that will deform to absorb some of the kinetic energy.

The drivers in Buses do wear seatbelts because they are in the deforming area of the bus.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I heard that seatbelts in planes were also useful as they kept the bodies in their assigned seating - which allowed investigators to match up bodies to names after a major fatal accident.

Even if the seat is ripped out, you can work out which seat it was, and therefore which body is in it - which was often a difficult task. (this is before DNA testing became common)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Why do chain link fences rust in sections? Looking at an old chain link fence, it's apparent that there's a clear divide between rusty and non-rusty areas, appearing as a vertical line. Sometimes the dividing line is a fence post, but more often it's simply the middle of the fence.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I did not know any of that, thanks!

Chamale posted:

Why do chain link fences rust in sections? Looking at an old chain link fence, it's apparent that there's a clear divide between rusty and non-rusty areas, appearing as a vertical line. Sometimes the dividing line is a fence post, but more often it's simply the middle of the fence.
Could it be the difference between sun and shadow? So because of where the shade falls, those rusted sections are staying wet longer due to rain and dew, and over the years that little bit of extra wetness is the difference between rust and no rust?

That doesn't explain the sharp dividing lines, though.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

jackpot posted:

It stands 100% on its own. If you're familiar with the Alien series, however, you'll see the connections.

It's an origin story.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I read the other day that John Travolta owns an old boeing 707 jetliner. I knew he was an avid pilot so I guess this doesn't surprise me too much, but where is the aftermarket for this sort of thing? If I was interested, where would I go? How much would one of these cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stubblyhead posted:

I read the other day that John Travolta owns an old boeing 707 jetliner. I knew he was an avid pilot so I guess this doesn't surprise me too much, but where is the aftermarket for this sort of thing? If I was interested, where would I go? How much would one of these cost?

Here's 2 sites that you can buy them from:

http://www.globalplanesearch.com/jets/airliners/boeing/
http://www.humesmccoyaviation.com/pages/aircraft/vip_707_18928.html (got 6 mil to spare?)

And here's the history of Travolta's personal plane:

http://blog.flightstory.net/45/john-travoltas-boeing-707/