Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Steve McScene posted:

The Euros are excellent and bring the country together well imho.

E: You loving miserable oval office.

The eloquence of a football fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steve McScene posted:

The Euros are excellent and bring the country together well imho.

E: You loving miserable oval office.

As long as the country is England. I love watching international football, but I have to switch to a non-UK feed for pre/post game analysis as somehow EVERYTHING has to be about England, regardless of whether they're playing, knocked out, didn't quality etc.

England haven't won jack poo poo in 50 years, give it a god damned rest.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

The pHo posted:

As long as the country is England. I love watching international football, but I have to switch to a non-UK feed for pre/post game analysis as somehow EVERYTHING has to be about England, regardless of whether they're playing, knocked out, didn't quality etc.

I thought the coverage this time (up to now at least) was a lot more moderate than usual. I don't know anyone who thinks we will do particularly well and most of us don't think we'll even get out of our group. The media coverage that I've seen is mostly in that toned down vein of expectation. Even the BBC's pundit coverage had only one person out of their entire coverage team putting England down to reach the semi's.

Of course, all bets are off if we somehow make the last four etc. Then you can prepare for the usual jingoistic nonsense :v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't seen the TV adverts like we had during the world cup, but I don't watch much commercial TV over here (barring crappy channels that run marathons of easy watch shows on the weekends), but the first half hour of the tournament on BBC was literally 'England, England, England'. They barely mentioned who was playing the opening game!

If it was Wales or Scotland there and not England, I know I know, we wouldn't get the level of support the BBC gives England. In fact, they'd still find excuses to cram England into every conversation wherever possible. I can guarantee that most Scots and Welsh are far more behind our Celtic brothers in The Republic of Ireland, but that's of no concern to the broadcasters. If it was Liverpool vs Man Utd and the commentary was always in favour of Man Utd, there would be an absolute poo poo storm.

It's not something you notice so much if you're English and living in England, which is understandable. To those of us on the outside who pay the same license fee it absolutely bloody grates. It's just as bad during the Rugby, where Wales often outperform the other five competitors in the Six Nations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Rubgy rarely even tries to conceal its biases though. It's more of a "Oh, here's an ex-player from each nation, let them argue about things in the hope you ignore the fact there's somehow still three Englishmen talking about England here".

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Having lived (and worked) through Diana's death and funeral, 9/11 (was on a first aid course in Perry Barr when that went down), the 7/7 attacks (okay, was unemployed during this), I truly dread what will happen when the Queen shuffles off this mortal coil. When Diana died, every radio station yanked everything off their playlist and replaced it with some sort of classical dirge for the entire day... and she wasn't even a royal at the time. When the Queen goes, and she's probably the most popular royal we've ever had (I do love Phillip), I think that they'll right off every form of media until the day after the funeral. And them, there'll be the coronation of Charles and so on.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

The pHo posted:

If its that much of an issue have you considered just not watching the pre/post analysis bits? everyone knows the pundits are dire and most people don't pay any attention to it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it too much to want to see a proper build up? Even if they're not the best critics, I'd like to know who the key players are... I don't watch much league football, and not all players in Europe are Premier League anyway, so it's not really too much to ask for that a show called 'UEFA 2012: Poland vs Greece' covers the two teams playing in some capacity.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Flatscan posted:

The eloquence of a football fan.

The condescending sarcasm of a teenage marxist :D

No but seriously with Freeview there's never been more channels available to avoid content you don't like. It's not like the 90s when my mother would commandeer the tv for hours at a time to watch Wimbledon and I had to miss Animaniacs

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Football is for tedious cunts.

Snooker is where the cool kids are.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Football is for tedious cunts.

Snooker is where the cool kids are.

Snooker? Please.

Darts or nothing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Darts is for poseurs. And fat northern lorry drivers.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
My favourite sport is slut shaming

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Flatscan posted:

Seriously, I left the country to get away from it.
I just turned the TV off. Pretty radical, I know.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I watched Man vs. Food on Dave ja vu during the half time "analysis". The manliest of combinations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Darts is for poseurs. And fat northern lorry drivers.

The number of people who now follow darts because Stephen Fry said it was okay to like it is ridiculous. I mean, I'm not one to tell others what to do, but you don't really like it so gently caress off back to the things you do like, like quoting people wittier than yourself to try impress your snotty middle-management friends, most of whom are called Rupert or Jeremy or loving Tarquin. I know you don't really like darts when you try to talk to me about it and can't remember who Phil Taylor is or why there are two different organisations and which one it is you should be watching, or you try and remember Sid Waddell quotes from years ago that your friend Alexander told you over lunch the other day and you still get them wrong.

Get off our darts. Wankers.

Lorry drivers are fine though, we love lorry drivers up north. Murdering bastards, most of them, but always smiling.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What did you make of London Fields?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The number of people who now follow darts because Stephen Fry said it was okay to like it is ridiculous. I mean, I'm not one to tell others what to do, but you don't really like it so gently caress off back to the things you do like, like quoting people wittier than yourself to try impress your snotty middle-management friends, most of whom are called Rupert or Jeremy or loving Tarquin. I know you don't really like darts when you try to talk to me about it and can't remember who Phil Taylor is or why there are two different organisations and which one it is you should be watching, or you try and remember Sid Waddell quotes from years ago that your friend Alexander told you over lunch the other day and you still get them wrong.

Get off our darts. Wankers.

Lorry drivers are fine though, we love lorry drivers up north. Murdering bastards, most of them, but always smiling.

I think this is the most passionate anybody has ever been about darts. Fair point though.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Darts is poo poo. Cricket supremacy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was in my teens in the 90s and BBC2 was king (we didn't have C4 in Wales). Therefore, the following things interrupted my TV viewing, and thus to this day I hate them:

* Darts
* Snooker
* The Proms
* Garden poo poo

S4C would take a selection of C4 programming and air it 10 days later at 2am. Coincidently, I also hate the Welsh language.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cricket is a made up sport.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!
Cricket is like hockey in that I only discovered it was a sport that people enjoyed playing and watching when I went to university and met those from other walks of life.

What I'm trying to say is I've never met anyone whose a cricket fan and isnt an insufferable oval office.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sports that are poo poo and boring = All of them.

Why do you want to watch other people play sports? I would very much rather be playing the sport myself. 99% of the time it's really boring mundane stuff, and 1% of the time you get a great spectacle. But mostly it's boring.

Football is just ridiculous though. Why would you support Man Utd if you are not from Manchester, and almost none of the players are from Manchester? :confused: So you pick a gang you aren't connected to with members who aren't connected to it either? How loving irrelevant. Support your local team, which is made up of local people, or get the gently caress outta here.

Now national sports, that's interesting. At least the players are usually from the countries they represent, so you can have some national pride or whatever. Watching all-star international clubs is just boring. Who cares who managed to buy the trophy this year?

Oh man I'm going to get torn apart for this.

On a brighter note, I've complained to the local watchdog type BBC radio show over the lack of properly synced subtitles on BBC iPlayer. I wasn't able to watch The Apprentice final until it was rebroadcast today at 7pm, 5 days after the original broadcast. I saw an edited version without the Dara O'Brien "You're Hired" segments then. I loving love the Dara O'Brien supplements though.

Since it's Friday at midnight, it's unlikely they'll fix the sync issues on the full shebang before the week it was allotted on iPlayer are up (first broadcast on 03/06/2012). So I've effectively been denied the ability to watch the entire show with Dara O'Brien with properly synced subtitles. That ticked me off enough to complain to the iPlayer team, and then to the local radio watchdog guy.

It's likely nothing will come of it, but I gave it a shot. gently caress BBC iPlayer and gently caress their lovely subtitles.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
^^^ My local team just won the Champions League :smug:

The pHo posted:

I was in my teens in the 90s and BBC2 was king (we didn't have C4 in Wales). Therefore, the following things interrupted my TV viewing, and thus to this day I hate them:

* Darts
* Snooker
* The Proms
* Garden poo poo

"Oh man, Glory just figured out that Dawn is the Key! How is Buffy gonna get out of this one?!"

"Due to the snooker, Buffy will return in 3 weeks"

:smithicide:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Out of interest, do you prefer subtitles or the superimposed signing person who spoils the Hollyoaks omnibus? Might complain myself

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The common mistake people make with cricket is actually paying attention to it, rather than it being a thing that is on while you do something else.

Chumpion
Jul 27, 2006

No means NO!

Xachariah posted:

Football is just ridiculous though. Why would you support Man Utd if you are not from Manchester, and almost none of the players are from Manchester? :confused: So you pick a gang you aren't connected to with members who aren't connected to it either? How loving irrelevant. Support your local team, which is made up of local people, or get the gently caress outta here.

This I can also understand and completely get behind, although I do disagree with part of what you say. Sport can be great social fabric, there is something genuinely exciting and full of community spirit when you go to support a football team in your home city, whenever I walk to St James it just feels like I'm off to a community event and when you leave it and head off to a local or into town you can feel the town buzzing or wilting from the result. It's really nice. But whenever I've gone to another city and watched a sport with girlfriends or pals or whatever it's just the most loving boring thing in the world because I don't understand how you can become invested in it when you have no connection to what it's representing. Instead it becomes just an insufferable conversation of which players are performing numerically, these people may as well be supporting a game of fifa or statistical fantasy football as it makes it so far detached from any social camraderie.

When i was a fresher I lived with 3 Irish flatmates, one was a Man U fan, one a Chelsea and one a Liverpool and they would get literally aggressive and vitriolic over it nearly every week. The Man United fan had literally been to Old Trafford twice in his life, and yet the flatmate I had who was actually from Manchester barely gave a gently caress outside of the community spirit of talking about it with his friends from back home and his dad.

I'm not saying you can't support a sports team if you're not born there or anything as jingoistic but when you become more involved in the results than what it represents you become boring as all hell to me.

goatface posted:

The common mistake people make with cricket is actually paying attention to it, rather than it being a thing that is on while you do something else.

I really enjoy Wimbledon for the same reason, you can leave the room for literally twenty minutes and come back to have not missed anything and just jump back into it. It's so insanely easy to detach from, there's something ridiculously satisfying about that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I 'got into' cricket when I was about 17 in the school holidays, because I could put it on the TV then sleep all afternoon waking up for 5 minutes at a time to check the score, then promptly fall back asleep.

I used to play it for years previous, but was crap at it. I have a bizarre spin bowl that I swore broke my friends nose one time though. Nothing was worse than how long it would take to pad up, wait for your turn to bat, then be out within about 3 bowls. Also the shared 'school box'. Gross.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Breath Ray posted:

Out of interest, do you prefer subtitles or the superimposed signing person who spoils the Hollyoaks omnibus? Might complain myself

Subtitles all the way. With my type of hearing loss the subtitles basically let my brain know what they are saying and so I can then "hear" what they are saying. It's perceptual hearing loss rather than volumetric.

The little signing person is annoying more than anything with the bizarre deaf person expressions. I know it's for context and emotion in signs, I just find it weird. I don't know BSL anyway, I only know a little sign assisted English (SAE). BSL is its own language and grammar, while SAE uses speech and English grammar in time with signs and gestures.

It would be welcome to me if you made a complaint, if it wasn't a joke.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've just got to ask- the Ambrosia Cream Rice adverts. What the gently caress?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Xachariah posted:

Why do you want to watch other people play sports? I would very much rather be playing the sport myself. 99% of the time it's really boring mundane stuff, and 1% of the time you get a great spectacle. But mostly it's boring.

Why do you want to watch other people doing acting on the telly instead of going out and joining the Questors?

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

The pHo posted:

Is it too much to want to see a proper build up? Even if they're not the best critics, I'd like to know who the key players are... I don't watch much league football, and not all players in Europe are Premier League anyway, so it's not really too much to ask for that a show called 'UEFA 2012: Poland vs Greece' covers the two teams playing in some capacity.

I caught the BBC's highlights of this game earlier and quite agree. There was a definite lack of concern about any player on the pitch unless they were someone who was currently in the Premier League.

I imagine football commentators are quite well-paid. Would it be too much to ask for them to do a bit of research and provide a decent overview of the international teams? It would be helpful for those of us who aren't English and don't follow the Premier League much.

It's like sending a political correspondent to a G-20 summit and having 90% of the reports being about David Cameron's domestic performance followed by confusion when some foreign player called Brock Obamba comes onto the scene and does something remarkable.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always enjoy the British commentators trying to do an accent when pronouncing a foreign player's name. Based on what the bores on ITV were doing earlier, Russian sounds exactly like Japanese. And speaking of ITV, who decided that their Euro coverage should start with Peter and The Wolf every time?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Prokofiev was born in modern day Ukraine, not far from Donetsk where England will play France. Montagues and Capulets is perhaps the more intuitive choice

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

goatface posted:

I think the real trick to cricket is realising that its a very silly game and all of its fans are completely aware of this. I mean its a game in which you will be pushed to cheer for ridiculous things on occasion like England scraping a draw or players refusing to take a shot or letting the ball go out to the boundary. I would say that 99% of cricket related stories I know aren't about glory, they're about funny stuff that you've seen or had happen to you.

I mean I spend most of my time at cricket games drinking, meeting new people to talk shite about the sport with and demanding to know why they've haven't re-written the laws so Monty Panesar can bowl ever over.

Chumpion posted:

But whenever I've gone to another city and watched a sport with girlfriends or pals or whatever it's just the most loving boring thing in the world because I don't understand how you can become invested in it when you have no connection to what it's representing. Instead it becomes just an insufferable conversation of which players are performing numerically, these people may as well be supporting a game of fifa or statistical fantasy football as it makes it so far detached from any social camraderie.

I'm not saying you can't support a sports team if you're not born there or anything as jingoistic but when you become more involved in the results than what it represents you become boring as all hell to me.
You're starting off on the assumption that the sole point of enjoying football is the social camaraderie, but I'd say thats only part of it. You know why people can talk tactics, statistics and have in-depth discussions about it? Because they find it interesting. And thats all the connection youneed to enjoy it. There are no rules to supporting a team or enjoying a sport. gently caress, you can support multiple teams if you like, it doesn't really matter why. I just don't see why watching sport is any different from taking an interest in any other subject in your spare time.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Handsome Dead posted:

I always enjoy the British commentators trying to do an accent when pronouncing a foreign player's name. Based on what the bores on ITV were doing earlier, Russian sounds exactly like Japanese. And speaking of ITV, who decided that their Euro coverage should start with Peter and The Wolf every time?

Rosicky has been playing in England for about 5years and I haven't heard a commentator say his name right once yet. English commentators are poo poo and lazy.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Strawman posted:

Rosicky has been playing in England for about 5years and I haven't heard a commentator say his name right once yet. English commentators are poo poo and lazy.

What are you claiming is the correct pronunciation? If I remember right, the actual Czech pronunciation is Ro-sit-ski or something like that, not how it's spelled (Ros-iky).

It's an interesting topic really (though maybe not one for this thread) and the rules seem to switch from player to player, team to team. Some players get their name pronounced as it would be in their own country like Henry (Thierry or Karl) where as some always get the Anglicised version like Ronaldo (I think it would sound like it ended in a u in a Portuguese speaking country).

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Chumpion posted:

Cricket is like hockey in that I only discovered it was a sport that people enjoyed playing and watching when I went to university and met those from other walks of life.

What I'm trying to say is I've never met anyone whose a cricket fan and isnt an insufferable oval office.

Alright, alot of bad posts in this sport derail, but I take particular exception to one that implies only posh people play cricket. Honestly such loving minute levels of awareness are required to realise this is not the case.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
At least Peter in the wolf is better than ITV's OBSESSION with a Primal Scream song a few years ago during a World Cup/Euro championships. Country Girl I think it was.

Also cricket is gay, so George Costanza sez (then had to apologise about)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/03/jason-alexander-cricket-gay-apology?newsfeed=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Giedroyc posted:

At least Peter in the wolf is better than ITV's OBSESSION with a Primal Scream song a few years ago during a World Cup/Euro championships. Country Girl I think it was.

Also cricket is gay, so George Costanza sez (then had to apologise about)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/03/jason-alexander-cricket-gay-apology?newsfeed=true

Americans seem obsessed with calling non american sports "gay" it generally comes up around world cups and things.