Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No one mentioned it yesterday, but Verizon announced a whole bunch of new cities and expansions yesterday to go live the 21st

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/index.html

With Sharon, Bedford, and the expansions in Indiana PA; western PA and the turnpike corridor is getting nicely covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-motorola-droid-razr-hd-leaks-3300-mah-battery-and-all-20120608/

Well at least now we know what the back and side of the Droid Razr HD will look like. I'm a bit concerned that the battery is inaccessible, but that might be due to required daily battery pulls on my Droid X. At least now we can put any doubts about the 3300mah battery to bed.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

TSBX posted:

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-motorola-droid-razr-hd-leaks-3300-mah-battery-and-all-20120608/

Well at least now we know what the back and side of the Droid Razr HD will look like. I'm a bit concerned that the battery is inaccessible, but that might be due to required daily battery pulls on my Droid X. At least now we can put any doubts about the 3300mah battery to bed.

I really hope this makes it out before the data plan change

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TSBX posted:

I'm a bit concerned that the battery is inaccessible, but that might be due to required daily battery pulls on my Droid X.

Phones and tablets with internal batteries have a hotkey combo to hard reset them. It's REALLY low hardware level so the likelihood of not being able to do it is very slim.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

We've had a couple iPhones at work that got locked up so hard we had to wait for the battery to run out. The vast majority of the time just holding the power button and the home button for a few seconds does the trick.

Incidentally that's how you fix any and all iPhone problems. Hard reset the phone and if it still doesn't work get a new one :v:

Also, holy poo poo I want that phone. Aside from the bootloader probably being locked it looks like the perfect phone.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 11, 2012

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.
On the subject of internal batteries: We recently had a middle aged guy bring in a Droid RAZR MAXX that was in pieces. As in, literally, the back was separated, the internal circuitry was out, the screen was cracked, the tiny ribbon connecting some component to the board (I'm guessing the display) was torn, the battery was removed; the whole 9 yards.

Anyway, turns out the dude's phone locked up, so in his infinite wisdom, he looked up instructions online on how to disassemble the phone, watched a YouTube video, grabbed some tools and went to town. Unfortunately, because he had the dexterity of Michael J. Fox after a can of Red Bull, the guy completely destroyed it in the process. All just so he could soft reset the phone.

He then has the audacity to get enraged and yell at us because we wouldn't replace his phone under warranty. Sometimes I wish I could say what I'm really thinking, because I would've told the guy "I apologize sir, but the manufacturer's warranty doesn't include a loving Idiot clause." I mean, seriously, during the whole tedious process of researching and disassembling the phone he didn't pause, even for a second, to think "gosh, there's gotta be an easier way to do this…"?

By the way, on the RAZR, all it takes to do a soft reset is to hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously for 5-10 seconds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
TIL those two buttons are also the shortcut for taking a screenshot in ICS.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Well goddamn, this is a thing. I was pretty disappointed with the Galaxy Nexus' battery life until seeing what difference 4.0.4 makes today. Leaving it on wifi from about 3:00 PM to 7:00 AM with minimal use (like just now), I used to be left with about 65% battery. Here's what I've got:

Getting better than 1% drain per hour is a huge improvement, geez.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Thanks to Spacedout I have broken my record of 4 gigs of data in a billing period; I am up to 6.1 and climbing!

Thank you you handsome man.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

stormrider posted:

I really hope this makes it out before the data plan change

Me too, I really want a phone I can get a whole real day of use on without having to plugin twice. Love my gnex but kills the battery.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

SpacedOut posted:

On the subject of internal batteries: We recently had a middle aged guy bring in a Droid RAZR MAXX that was in pieces. As in, literally, the back was separated, the internal circuitry was out, the screen was cracked, the tiny ribbon connecting some component to the board (I'm guessing the display) was torn, the battery was removed; the whole 9 yards.

Anyway, turns out the dude's phone locked up, so in his infinite wisdom, he looked up instructions online on how to disassemble the phone, watched a YouTube video, grabbed some tools and went to town. Unfortunately, because he had the dexterity of Michael J. Fox after a can of Red Bull, the guy completely destroyed it in the process. All just so he could soft reset the phone.

He then has the audacity to get enraged and yell at us because we wouldn't replace his phone under warranty. Sometimes I wish I could say what I'm really thinking, because I would've told the guy "I apologize sir, but the manufacturer's warranty doesn't include a loving Idiot clause." I mean, seriously, during the whole tedious process of researching and disassembling the phone he didn't pause, even for a second, to think "gosh, there's gotta be an easier way to do this…"?

By the way, on the RAZR, all it takes to do a soft reset is to hold the power and volume down buttons simultaneously for 5-10 seconds.

I have one to top that.

Incredible 2.

Yes, the battery is removable. But the phone locked up with the alarm going off, and for some reason the girl who owned it decided that to remove the battery on this phone, it was perfectly normal to jam a pointy object into the side of the phone by the charge port and twist...Bending the metal around the housing, and breaking a lot of the plastic along the edges.

Cust was told it was out of warranty due to physical damage...but it was our fault because the phone locked up, so its perfectly acceptable to destroy the phone in the process you know, she left in a huff, because you should break something because it wasn't performing perfectly.

It gets better.... about 2 weeks later we get a phone call from the local paper's "consumer advocate" writer...asking about the situation, the girl's father had wrote this long letter and tale of how horrible we were. I had the guy come in personally with the phone, and disasemmbled it in front of him..Not only was the housing trashed, she managed to crack the PCB, and sever both the LCD and digitizer ribbons, so essentually, every single component minus the battery were destroyed.

Essentually told him in as nice as possible way he and his oval office of a daughter were screwed because she was an idiot...He bought a new one at full price. I essentually told them if you car's radio malfunctions, and to shut it off you drive the car into a bridge abutment, that doesn't entitle you to a new car.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 11, 2012

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Mighty Horse posted:

I essentually told them if you car's radio malfunctions, and to shut it off you drive the car into a bridge abutment, that doesn't entitle you to a new car

I have never had a job where :iiaca: was more appropriate. I use car analogies with customers near daily.

Also, people are idiots.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
If you have unlimited data, it looks like it is time to use they last upgrade before June 28th: http://m.cnet.com/news/verizon-unveils-share-everything-family-plans-for-data/57450763

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Verizon officially launches it's data share plans:

http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/pdf/verizon_share_everything_plan_details.pdf

Look at the fine print, overages are going up to $15 per GB.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Duckman2008 posted:

overages are going up to $15 per GB.

I was mildly anticipating the shared data plans. Now, not so much.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

These plans cost like double of what they're offering now. I don't understand it :psyduck:
Where are you Incredible 4G???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How can they justify doubling their prices? 70 dollars for 4gb? Enjoy super fast speeds on your new 4GLTE phone!for five minutes

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

These plans cost like double of what they're offering now. I don't understand it :psyduck:
Where are you Incredible 4G???

Doing the math, 5 people with 2GBs each is $100 for 10GBs + $40 * 5 = $300. That's a good chunk of change. I would think the only people this plan helps its are those who only want to use their smartphones on wifi.

Anyone know how Verizon discounts apply to these plans?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Do these replace the existing plans or are they just an option?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Whelp, I'm definitely switching after I burn this upgrade. There's no loving way I'm paying double and then some (there's also a monthly charge just for having a smartphone).

gently caress you, Verizon.

gently caress you so hard.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

echobucket posted:

Do these replace the existing plans or are they just an option?

If you sign up now or have an existing account, you're on the current unlimited or tiered data, depending on when you did.

If you sign up or renew after June 28, you'll be on the new prices. If my calculations are correct, for 1GB of data on a smartphone, you'll be paying a minimum of $90/month ON TOP OF your minutes/text plan.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

How can they justify doubling their prices? 70 dollars for 4gb? Enjoy super fast speeds on your new 4GLTE phone!for five minutes

Unless you are an a crowded area, where LTE speeds are already tanking. I was in Indianapolis last night for the Roger Waters show and couldn't even post messages to Google+ half the time. At the end of the show, I couldn't make a call. I had to wait until I got out of the city for service to speed up and for me to be able to make a call.

As soon as my contract is up I am heading to a prepaid carrier. I can't afford this nonsense any longer.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Unless you are an a crowded area, where LTE speeds are already tanking. I was in Indianapolis last night for the Roger Waters show and couldn't even post messages to Google+ half the time. At the end of the show, I couldn't make a call. I had to wait until I got out of the city for service to speed up and for me to be able to make a call.

As soon as my contract is up I am heading to a prepaid carrier. I can't afford this nonsense any longer.

That's actually pretty common around big events. That's not an indicator of normal congestion and you have to figure that every single verizon device in that arena was sharing one single tower.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's actually pretty common around big events. That's not an indicator of normal congestion and you have to figure that every single verizon device in that arena was sharing one single tower.

I can understand the data speeds, but the fact that even making a phone call was impossible was pathetic. With Verizon's new plans, calls should have priority over everything else since they apparently see that's what customers want (they are doing a fine job with offering data, since it didn't work it would have kept me within my caps). :)

Anyways, I am just angry with Verizon and any reason to hate them is a good reason at this point. The smartphone is such a nice device to own, until Verizon goes to ruin it with making data access so expensive mortal man cannot afford it. Ughhh.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Duckman2008 posted:

Doing the math, 5 people with 2GBs each is $100 for 10GBs + $40 * 5 = $300. That's a good chunk of change. I would think the only people this plan helps its are those who only want to use their smartphones on wifi.

Anyone know how Verizon discounts apply to these plans?

It would be MORE expensive today...

$110 for 2000 minutes and unlimited text

$30 per line for 2gb data access

$10 per line for share plan access

Total of $310

So it's $10 less and you get unlimited minutes and free tethering.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ModestMuse posted:

It would be MORE expensive today...

$110 for 2000 minutes and unlimited text

$30 per line for 2gb data access

$10 per line for share plan access

Total of $310

So it's $10 less and you get unlimited minutes and free tethering.

But the problem is, who NEEDS unlimited calling? Our account has 4 phones and we share 550 minutes, we NEVER go over. We also do not have a home phone, and we still never go over. Unlimited voice/text is completely worthless to me and I would imagine the bulk of Verizon's customer base. They sure has heck didn't do this to save ANYONE money, it's done to leech every last penny from their pockets.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you sign up now or have an existing account, you're on the current unlimited or tiered data, depending on when you did.

If you sign up or renew after June 28, you'll be on the new prices. If my calculations are correct, for 1GB of data on a smartphone, you'll be paying a minimum of $90/month ON TOP OF your minutes/text plan.

The $50 portion is unlimited voice and text with 1 gb of data. But instead of cell and unlimited data costing me $80, cell and 2gb will be $100. That's so dumb. Way to charge full price for voice and text I don't really want.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
They are putting so much emphasis on the fact these plans have unlimited talk and text.

Which nobody gives a poo poo about....at all.

I really hope they let us keep people on the older plans, because these are loving terrible.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm not seeing how the new plans are worse than the current 2gb capped plans.

e: 2gb cap plans suck, but the cost appears to be the same-ish

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

They are putting so much emphasis on the fact these plans have unlimited talk and text.

Which nobody gives a poo poo about....at all.

I really hope they let us keep people on the older plans, because these are loving terrible.

As long as they don't try to burn an upgrade. I imagine you'll get flooded between now and the 28th.

Looks like I'll be pre-ordering my SGS3 and keeping it in the box so I can sell it and pick up my RAZR HD at retail if I like it when it finally comes out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

I'm not seeing how the new plans are worse than the current 2gb capped plans.

It shakes out to about the same, but for those of us on unlimited, it's complete and utter bullshit.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

AlexDeGruven posted:

It shakes out to about the same, but for those of us on unlimited, it's complete and utter bullshit.

I agree, cap plans suck in general. So the outrage more at the realization that we can no longer be grandfathered? This isn't new news, but does indeed suck.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I didn't realize at first the new plan replaces the cost of the initial phone plan. So what if my parents want to get to $40 no-data dumbphone plan but I still have my unlimited smartphone? Would the overall bill get cut in almost in half?!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Just so I'm understanding this correctly.

If I want the basic shared tier (unlimited talk/text and 1gb data), I have to pay $50 plus $40 for the phone? $90 total for unlimited talk and 1gb data? That can't be right. Is this replacing an individual plan?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

I agree, cap plans suck in general. So the outrage more at the realization that we can no longer be grandfathered? This isn't new news, but does indeed suck.

They marketed the grandfathering as though you would be able to extend it almost indefinitely. Had they said "Yes, you're grandfathered in for one upgrade cycle and then you have to take what's available", people would be less pissed. When they announced tiered data, they made no indication that burning an upgrade just a year later would terminate your unlimited, which they marketed hardcore right up until tiered day 0.

My outrage is toward their disingenuous marketing of the grandfathering and trying to foster complacency.

Also, less than 3 weeks doesn't really qualify in my mind as "Plenty of notice". I now need to shuffle around my budget so I can get my upgrades in before the 28th, which is the day before payday for my household.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

eig posted:

I didn't realize at first the new plan replaces the cost of the initial phone plan. So what if my parents want to get to $40 no-data dumbphone plan but I still have my unlimited smartphone? Would the overall bill get cut in almost in half?!

TODAY: $70 for 700 min, $10 per line, $30 for 2gb data. $130

NEW: $60 2gb plan, $30 per dumb phone, $40 for smart phone. $160

Not good for your case.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

If I want the basic shared tier (unlimited talk/text and 1gb data), I have to pay $50 plus $40 for the phone? $90 total for unlimited talk and 1gb data? That can't be right. Is this replacing an individual plan?

That's precisely right.

Sprint offers unlimited everything for $109.99 for an individual plan. And if they manage to get their LTE network running over the 800MHz iDen space, then they might actually be a viable option again.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

This is right. Not sure how individual plans will work. The announcement today is for people on a share plan.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

What I'm asking is I wonder if it's possible for my mom to change HER contract to the new no-data plan but I still have my unlimited add-on? I plan to upgrade before the 28th, I've been sitting on it since March. I guess we'll just have to find out later this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

eig posted:

What I'm asking is I wonder if it's possible for my mom to change HER contract to the new no-data plan but I still have my unlimited add-on? I plan to upgrade before the 28th, I've been sitting on it since March. I guess we'll just have to find out later this month.

Upgrade before the 28th and you won't have to worry about it for 20 months, or until your choose to claim a subsidy again.

• Locked thread