Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

QwertySanchez posted:

Far too many achievements in that first game relied on your team mates not being idiots. I never managed to get the one for not getting boomer biled because everyone else I played with seems to want to bathe in the stuff. I'll admit though I've never played a game where I've not had some friendly fire.

I however managed to get the boomer AND no friendly fire one just recently. By playing single player on expert and kicking all the survivor bots :black101:

To contribute, when L4D2 finally got some of the campaigns from the original, a lot of the bugs from the original hadn't been fixed. The most famous one of which being the elevator on one map after a pretty big fight, which as it ascended, if you hit someone with a physics object (molotov, held gas cans, etc) they'd stop moving for a moment, but the elevator would still rise, and they'd fall through, do it near the end, and people would fall through and to their deaths, but do it early enough and they'd just land safely, but get stuck, with never ending waves of zombies coming after them.

L4D2 also featured a grenade launcher, it's grenades are physics objects, instead of only being able to make one team mate fall through the elevator, now you can get all of them. I believe it still isn't fixed.

The grenade launcher, and throwing molotovs is also great for catching people just as they get off of ladders above you, they end up stood on the molotov/grenade. and just ride it up 70-80 feet into the air, then they fall and die with no idea what happened.

Unfortunately, the elevator thing no longer works (last I checked), but the grenade thing is always hilarious to see in action. :allears: (It's also helpful for launching into unattackable areas in Survival mode!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

sitchelin posted:

So anyone who's mad over that is just pouty because they got caught red-handed with nothing to show for it. Wear your Halo good sir, wear it proudly; you have an innate opportunity to grief people for just being in their presence!

Except almost everyone who didn't get a halo in the first wave (when the idler program was banned) got one in the second (when trading was introduced.) I have no idea why.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My old favorite was one we used to do in Age of Conan. It took us about a week to realize how lovely the game was after level 20, so we decided to just gank people until our subscription ran out. The best one was when we made BlueBerry, The Barbarian Mage. All off us made exactly identical characters, and named them all BlueBerry,BlueBerry 2, BlueBerry 3, etc. One of us would walk around a lowbie dungeon to act as bait. The other 5 people would be stealthed and following closely.When the bait would start to be attacked, he would whisper to the ganker "Kallima, Kallimoo, Rashida, BlueBerry casts CLONE ATTACK", and we would all destealth and attack. People would freak out, screaming that Barbarians couldn't cast spells, that wasn't a real spell, we were hackers, etc. We even had a GM show up once because we got so many hacking complaints. Once we explained what we were doing, she laughed her rear end off and left.

My guild did this in WoW during TBC. We had a mid level undead rogue wandering around various lowbie zones (usually between 35-45 in zones for people in their 20s or below) ganking people trying to lure in higher leveled people. As soon as someone would jump the mid rogue in revenge or just to "protect their faction buddies" or whatever they'd be set upon by about 20 level 70 max PVP geared rogues. We got to a point of camping most of a raid guild in duskwood as people who were geared for Kara came individually to try to turn back the horde infestation only to realize that there were a fuckload of us. We had each level 70 camping two or three people because they weren't all in one spot and kept just trying to run away instead of rezzing all at once to try to take some of us down.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheSpiritFox posted:

My guild did this in WoW during TBC. We had a mid level undead rogue wandering around various lowbie zones (usually between 35-45 in zones for people in their 20s or below) ganking people trying to lure in higher leveled people. As soon as someone would jump the mid rogue in revenge or just to "protect their faction buddies" or whatever they'd be set upon by about 20 level 70 max PVP geared rogues. We got to a point of camping most of a raid guild in duskwood as people who were geared for Kara came individually to try to turn back the horde infestation only to realize that there were a fuckload of us. We had each level 70 camping two or three people because they weren't all in one spot and kept just trying to run away instead of rezzing all at once to try to take some of us down.

Another popular way to do it at some point during BC when Warriors absolutely destroyed rogues was to fly around on your mount with your guildmate/friend/whatever acting as bait below. When the rogue cameout of stealth to attack the bait, you just use assist frames to target the rogue instantly, bail off your mount and use Charge to negate the shitloads of fall damage you would normally take for freefalling half a mile onto solid rock.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Zaodai posted:

Another popular way to do it at some point during BC when Warriors absolutely destroyed rogues was to fly around on your mount with your guildmate/friend/whatever acting as bait below. When the rogue cameout of stealth to attack the bait, you just use assist frames to target the rogue instantly, bail off your mount and use Charge to negate the shitloads of fall damage you would normally take for freefalling half a mile onto solid rock.

You would literally deep strike on an enemy's position? (Ok allies.) That is not a grief, that is awesome. There has to be videos of this.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zebrin posted:

You would literally deep strike on an enemy's position? (Ok allies.) That is not a grief, that is awesome. There has to be videos of this.

Bear form druids did this too. Called it a 'Rawrbomb.' Silly name aside, I'd flip the gently caress out if a giant brown bear dropped out of the sky and started to maul my face off.

Terrible quality put to 3 minutes of Scatman. But it gets the point across.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Warmachine posted:

Bear form druids did this too. Called it a 'Rawrbomb.' Silly name aside, I'd flip the gently caress out if a giant brown bear dropped out of the sky and started to maul my face off.

Terrible quality put to 3 minutes of Scatman. But it gets the point across.

The best part was using the druid's bear charge against someone on a flying mount. The attack dismounted the target and they fell to their death, while the druid could just shift back into flight form.

I thought I read somewhere that that doesn't work anymore, but it's been a long time since I played WoW.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Hello Sailor posted:

The best part was using the druid's bear charge against someone on a flying mount. The attack dismounted the target and they fell to their death, while the druid could just shift back into flight form.

I thought I read somewhere that that doesn't work anymore, but it's been a long time since I played WoW.

Wait, are you saying that people flying about doing whatever in WoW were once subject to surface-to-air bear attacks?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
An ally in the world of Diablo 3 has left, griefing grows weaker. In the next patch, Blizzard is taking out the damage bonus per added person in co-op. No longer will you be able to join a friend's game, make the mobs stronger until he dies and then leave.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Ambiguatron posted:

Wait, are you saying that people flying about doing whatever in WoW were once subject to surface-to-air bear attacks?

If they were close enough to the ground or to a mountain with an angry bear on it. But usually the druid would just change forms mid flight and charge because druids are the only class that can attack in mid air and just continue flying. Wizards and Priests could attack people and float safely to the ground if they had some reagent and the spell mapped.

Another thing during BC was buffing people who didn't wait for elevators. There were jumps from the faction camps to the main city you'd survive with a sliver of health if you were at full when you jumped. Now if someone buffed you with any buff that would increase your health you wouldn't be at full health anymore and die from the fall, taking durability damage.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Morglon posted:

If they were close enough to the ground or to a mountain with an angry bear on it. But usually the druid would just change forms mid flight and charge because druids are the only class that can attack in mid air and just continue flying. Wizards and Priests could attack people and float safely to the ground if they had some reagent and the spell mapped.

Another thing during BC was buffing people who didn't wait for elevators. There were jumps from the faction camps to the main city you'd survive with a sliver of health if you were at full when you jumped. Now if someone buffed you with any buff that would increase your health you wouldn't be at full health anymore and die from the fall, taking durability damage.

The nerf to Mind Control so you couldn't jump people off of mountains or into lava was the worst thing. I loved using the Night Elf stealth in Blackrock and just waiting on that chain for some unlucky sap to walk past so I could jump them down into the lava.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Cojawfee posted:

An ally in the world of Diablo 3 has left, griefing grows weaker. In the next patch, Blizzard is taking out the damage bonus per added person in co-op. No longer will you be able to join a friend's game, make the mobs stronger until he dies and then leave.

You can still join public Hardcore games, though, and train a group of mobs onto people, killing them permanently though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Zebrin posted:

You were actually right the first time, you were deep striking directly onto the enemy. You just had to hope your aim was good and you weren't lagging, because if you didn't get within 15 yards of the target (on a hypothetical sphere radiating from their hitbox) and use charge before you hit the ground, you died.

I still loved doing it, though.

Other popular in-flight griefs were druids who would fly up to you, change out of flight form and use Typhoon who's knockback would dismount you. They could change back into flightform while falling because it was an Instant spell, you couldn't get back on your mount because it was a 3 second cast and thus couldn't be done while moving.

Arcane mages would also fly up to you, Presence of Mind (makes the next spell instant but is on a cooldown) and Polymorph (turns you into a sheep/pig/turtle/etc) you which would remove you from your mount. The mage could then cast Slowfall to float safely to the ground while you fell to your death.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Of course there was always the hilarity back in the Wrath expansion for WoW of splattering your entire dungeon group on water.

See, there was a dungeon called Azjol-Nerub, where at one point to continue in the dungeon you jumped down a very long fall. At the bottom Blizzard had helpfully put a deep pool of water, so you could land safely.

Except for death knights, the class added in Wrath had an ability that buffed all their party members to be able to walk on water. If a death knight turned it on while the group was jumping down the hole, everyone smashed to death on the suddenly-ice water pool. It was quite satisfying and cheap in random dungeon groups.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Enos Shenk posted:

Of course there was always the hilarity back in the Wrath expansion for WoW of splattering your entire dungeon group on water.

See, there was a dungeon called Azjol-Nerub, where at one point to continue in the dungeon you jumped down a very long fall. At the bottom Blizzard had helpfully put a deep pool of water, so you could land safely.

Except for death knights, the class added in Wrath had an ability that buffed all their party members to be able to walk on water. If a death knight turned it on while the group was jumping down the hole, everyone smashed to death on the suddenly-ice water pool. It was quite satisfying and cheap in random dungeon groups.

Shamans could do it too with Waterwalking. The funniest part of that grief is that prior to Wrath, if you had waterwalking on and fell off a drop into water, you'd actually hit the water normally and swim until you jumped up on to the surface. So they specifically added that functionality just to be dicks in the expansion.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You still wouldn't hit solid water if you pointed your camera straight down, you'd fall in and go swimming instead.

Even to this day, if I ever find myself in there, I instinctively point the camera straight down. Even though I think they've changed it so it wont' do falling damage in some manner.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Shamans could do it too with Waterwalking. The funniest part of that grief is that prior to Wrath, if you had waterwalking on and fell off a drop into water, you'd actually hit the water normally and swim until you jumped up on to the surface. So they specifically added that functionality just to be dicks in the expansion.

I'm pretty sure I've been killing/injuring people with water walking long before Wrath, I know it worked in BC for sure and I think I remember using it in Mauradon in vanilla, and last I checked it still works. I don't think they have ever really changed anything about fall damage and water walking, it's just that only shamans used to be able to do it and it used to be annoying to gather the reagents so few shamans ever played with it. (Priests could levitate over water, but it prevents falling damage.)

There is another instance, Utgarde Keep with drops into water. After killing the boss, there is a shortcut to the entrance with two drops into water. I used to water walk people with my shaman and kill them on the first drop. Then I would resurrect them, reapply water walking, and kill them again on the second.

Even better is one of the raids, The Argent Tournament. The raid isn't really a dungeon, its a string of boss battles in a colosseum while an audience watches, but for the last boss The Lich King shows up and shatters the floor, dropping players down into tunnels to fight the last boss. Like most drops, the entire raid falls into water. A death knight bestows his water walking aura to the whole 25 man raid group and mobs of people all go splat.

To top it off, when your raid group fails on the boss and has to run back into the instance, they zone in up in the air and have to drop again. So if you can be the first one back you can stand down on the water with the aura turned on while your own guild members run in and suicide.

This kind of damage, by the way, causes durability damage on people's gear. People doing the fight at that point had lots of nice gear that had a nice repair bill to go with it, and even though it really wasn't that much gold, some people rage over that kind of thing.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 10, 2012

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Zaodai posted:

You were actually right the first time, you were deep striking directly onto the enemy. You just had to hope your aim was good and you weren't lagging, because if you didn't get within 15 yards of the target (on a hypothetical sphere radiating from their hitbox) and use charge before you hit the ground, you died.

I still loved doing it, though.

Other popular in-flight griefs were druids who would fly up to you, change out of flight form and use Typhoon who's knockback would dismount you. They could change back into flightform while falling because it was an Instant spell, you couldn't get back on your mount because it was a 3 second cast and thus couldn't be done while moving.

Arcane mages would also fly up to you, Presence of Mind (makes the next spell instant but is on a cooldown) and Polymorph (turns you into a sheep/pig/turtle/etc) you which would remove you from your mount. The mage could then cast Slowfall to float safely to the ground while you fell to your death.

Even better for Arcane Mages was the time during the first half or so of the Burning Crusade expansion when flying mounts had just been released. Significant about this period was the fact that when a player died, their corpse spawned exactly where they were, and wasn't affected by physics. This meant that if you killed somebody in mid-air with, say, Presence of Mind -> Pyroblast (a very hard hitting giant fireball), they would have to resurrect at the graveyard to significant penalty (large durability damage to their armor, and a ten minute debuff that basically made it impossible to fight anything) since they had no way of reaching their corpse hundreds of feet in the air.

It was a good time to be a Mage. People used to go afk in the air because they thought they were safe. :allears:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
The shaman water walking was something I did a ton of when I still played WoW. Also, it is indeed correct that you will(used to?) sink right into the water if you point your character straight down. I started doing it when my ISP started griefing me, and caused my latency to not register hitting the water, and instead hitting the floor and dying.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Enos Shenk posted:

I loved doing this on my DK that was tanking spec'd, even though you just killed everyone they usually wouldn't kick you because of how difficult it would be to replace you at the last boss.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

A WoW one I did to mixed success: During the Firelands expansion, the second tier of the expansion's event quest hub was within the firelands, a small level with quests and notably, enemy npc waves attacking your beachhead style camp. It was mostly just for atmosphere, because you did not have any real danger of dying from the enemy while within the camp, because the friendly npc guards were strong enough to kill the enemy waves. The guards would auto-attack any advancing enemy who was not leashed to a player, and importantly, for any player bringing back a train of mobs to the camp the guards would attack once the mobs started hitting the player.

The important mechanic: As long as the trained mobs were not actually hitting the player, the guards would not attack the mobs.

On the other side of the zone was a quest that required you to "feed" a friendly fireplant with fire, using scorpions that would spit small aoe style pools of fire under players when aggroe'd. If at range, and not attacking the scorpions, the scorpions would just continuously spit the fire pools. Now, these pools were more of a quest mechanic than an actual attack, so did relatively little damage. But if a person were to leash 4-5 of the scorpions, and run back to camp, and interesting effect occurred.

The guards would not attack scorpions if all they did was spit firepools.

Cue me finding anyone afk in camp that thought they were safe, stand next to them, and wait for 5 pools of fire to spawn under me, and thus damage and ultimately kill the afk player as well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FuzzyPickles posted:

Even better is one of the raids, The Argent Tournament. The raid isn't really a dungeon, its a string of boss battles in a colosseum while an audience watches, but for the last boss The Lich King shows up and shatters the floor, dropping players down into tunnels to fight the last boss. Like most drops, the entire raid falls into water. A death knight bestows his water walking aura to the whole 25 man raid group and mobs of people all go splat.

To top it off, when your raid group fails on the boss and has to run back into the instance, they zone in up in the air and have to drop again. So if you can be the first one back you can stand down on the water with the aura turned on while your own guild members run in and suicide.

This kind of damage, by the way, causes durability damage on people's gear. People doing the fight at that point had lots of nice gear that had a nice repair bill to go with it, and even though it really wasn't that much gold, some people rage over that kind of thing.

In Goon Squad, this was known as the Water Boss, and dying to it would get you mocked on Vent.

I read awhile back about a rogue who'd play Two-Face in a low-level Alliance zone in WoW. See, WoW has a fishing profession, and if you fish in the fountain in the city of Dalaran, you can fish up coins with names of various lore characters on them. Fish them all up, a painfully long process, and you get an item that does a heads or tails emote. So the rogue would stealth up to a lowbie, stun them, use the item, and either kill them or pat them on the head and vanish depending on whether they got heads or tails.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Pope Guilty posted:

In Goon Squad, this was known as the Water Boss, and dying to it would get you mocked on Vent.

I read awhile back about a rogue who'd play Two-Face in a low-level Alliance zone in WoW. See, WoW has a fishing profession, and if you fish in the fountain in the city of Dalaran, you can fish up coins with names of various lore characters on them. Fish them all up, a painfully long process, and you get an item that does a heads or tails emote. So the rogue would stealth up to a lowbie, stun them, use the item, and either kill them or pat them on the head and vanish depending on whether they got heads or tails.
Was the rogue named Chigurh?

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 10, 2012

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Re: the "water boss" in ToTC/AN, I actually got (temporarily) gkicked once since I started casting water walking on all of the guild's officers, seeing who would die when the floor broke away and we plummeted into the water.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Pope Guilty posted:

Literally everyone with a way to keep lowbies from getting away did this. Warlocks with curse of exhaustion, rogues with sap, mages with poly, so on and so forth.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I wonder what reaction I would get if I put on my ipod earbuds and my Halo hat. TF2 is such a silly game that I cant comprehend how people can take it so seriously. For fucks sake, you throw jars of pee on people, no reason to get buttfrustrated.

When TF2 first went free-to-play, there was a minor shitstorm amongst the playerbase. A bunch of the older players were Really Mad that people would be allowed to play their game without first buying the privilege of doing so, and it became fashionable for the pre-f2p players to gang up on and generally bitch at the new arrivals. Everyone who'd bought a copy of the game got a bonus item that looked like a WW1-era tin helmet, so some of the whiny oldbies took to wearing those helmets all the time and acting like it made them better than everyone else.

I was wearing the thing just because I liked how it looked on some of the classes. I was also helping my wife get into TF2 now that we wouldn't have to buy a second copy to play together. While we were joining servers together and running around blowing poo poo up, people kept bitching at her for being a newbie, while the experienced players were generally being pretty nice and helpful to me, which I thought was strange. When I witnessed a medic+heavy team both wearing the tin helmets and mocking "free-to-play newbs" over the voice chat, a lightbulb finally went off in my head.

In addition to my I-bought-the-game-please-respect-me helmet, I put on some shiny medal you could only get by playing the game within the first X months after it was released. Thus identified as a "veteran" player, I took up playing as Medic, which made me really important to the team's success. Then we would find servers with alltalk (voice chat that both teams could access) and I'd spread a message of tolerance and love.

TF2 players loving hate tolerance and love. All I had to do was say, "guys, come on, this whole elitism thing is really childish. It's a video game," and a handful of players would immediately be rendered apoplectic with rage. I had dudes literally screaming into their mics about how Valve was terrible, I was a human being, f2p players were morons, and so forth. I would respond in a friendly and reasonable fashion every time, which of course just pissed them off further, and if someone on my team got particularly rabid I'd tell them I was worried about them and maybe they shouldn't take video games so seriously and you know what man, I can't heal you anymore, I really think you need to take a break from this game to calm down.

Meanwhile, my wife was playing as a Spy. She wasn't super amazing at it (there are some loving incredible Spies out there), but she knew how to use her cloak to avoid detection. Some of the absolute funniest poo poo to come out of the whole debacle was when someone would be too focused on yelling over alltalk to pay attention to their surroundings, and my wife, a free-to-play GIRL GAMER newbie Spy with no hat and only the basic items, rolled up and stabbed them in the rear end for an instant kill mid-sentence. Sometimes she'd play a Pyro instead, which was even funnier because the Pyro is widely regarded as a lovely easy-mode class for idiots, so getting toasted by a brand new free-to-play inexperienced Pyro while stroking your dick about how long you've been playing and how badly free-players suck was like the perfect storm of rage-inducing humiliation.

TF2 is a pretty fun game.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Angry Diplomat posted:

When TF2 first went free-to-play, there was a minor shitstorm amongst the playerbase. A bunch of the older players were Really Mad that people would be allowed to play their game without first buying the privilege of doing so, and it became fashionable for the pre-f2p players to gang up on and generally bitch at the new arrivals.

This even goes to the point that someone wrote a server plugin called free2bekicked, which (as the name suggests) automatically kicks f2p players off the server as soon as they join.

Also, it's not like free players have exactly the same experience as premium players - they only have 50 slots in their backpack (versus 300 for premium), get greatly reduced drops, and can't trade items.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

FuzzyPickles posted:

I don't think they have ever really changed anything about fall damage and water walking, it's just that only shamans used to be able to do it and it used to be annoying to gather the reagents so few shamans ever played with it.

Fish oil was easy enough to come by and was worth it. In BC I used to hang around the entrance to Coilfang Reservoir with my shaman and hit the cool kids who jumped off their flying mounts to dive into the tunnel. When they complained, I'd simply tell 'em "NO DIVING, LIFEGUARD NOT ON DUTY."

You could also use it during the Lurker Below fight in Serpentshrine Cavern just before people tried to jump into the water to avoid Lurker's spout attack, but you had to really hate the other 24 people in your raid to do it.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Allow me to tell you the tale of a GMod RP server:

Once upon a time there was a roleplay called GMod RP. It was a bit more serious then DarkRP, and had a lot of shiny features. This story takes place on the old evocity.

A friend of mine had become the mayor, and appointed me chief of police. We
immediately raised the taxes to max, and set all officers to SWAT officers. We established a base of operations in an abandoned house. After the initial securities were in place, the SWAT immediately wiped out all the local criminals. Some dissenters appeared near our base, and set up a small protest. I took some swat officers over there with me, hand cuffed and zip tied all of them, lined them up against a wall, and executed about 4-5 people by firing squad. This let everyone know what was up. Immediately we had a growing rebellion within the population, all of which were caught and executed. We build a concentration camp near our base, and herded everyone into there. Every once in a while we'd take everyone out and execute them. People started to build hidden "capitalist camps" where everyone was free from the mayor's reign. We set the camps on fire and executed everyone in them. This led to the first assault on our base, which resulted in a few police causalities and many many civilian ones. We got a warning from an admin. The camps continued, and we captured the rebel leader, interrogated them, and executed them. Then came the second assault on our base. I arrived to the fight late, and killed most of the stragglers. The base was on fire, irreparable. The rebels gathered in industrial, a place quarantined by police and loaded with spike traps.

Was the mayor OK? Turns out he was, he had snuck away from the fight some how. While he was relocating, he had many people hunting for him. The entire force went to suburbs, warning people that anyone who went there would be shot. Naturally around half the server grouped up, and came around 5 minutes later. We had 5 officers against around 15 civilians. We shot all their cars as they approached, around 10 burned to death inside their vehicles. The other 5 managed to take out 2 officers and break my leg. They were all killed eventually. I was evacuated safely in the SWAT van. After evacuation, we eventually ended up at the MTL building: a big industrial complex. We prepared for our final battle here, and we organized all the government to come there and let the rebels know we were there. I was killed before the fight started, and the man who went on to kill the mayor got permabanned for it.

TOTAL GRIEF REPORT:
200 DEATHS
1 PERMABAN

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 12, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Early in vanilla WoW you could waterwalk people to death on the zeppelin crossing from Orgrimmar to the Undercity pretty often. After you leave Orgrimmar you're in the middle of the ocean when it takes you to a loading screen. Whenever a server running the other side went down, or the server just felt like poo poo, everyone would load right back where they left off - over the water at the height of the zeppelin.

Queue everyone spontaneously loading in the air, and falling to their death on the water below. Anyone would a slower computer wouldn't even get to see it. It would take long enough for the game to reload on their side that when the loading screen finally disappeared, they'd be dead on the water.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Raneman posted:

and the man who went on to kill the mayor got permabanned for it.

TOTAL GRIEF REPORT:
200 DEATHS
1 PERMABAN

Why would killing the mayor get him permabanned? Did he "cheat" to be able to find/kill the mayor or something?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It sounded to me like the usual case of "wah wah people aren't playing my way"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Code Jockey posted:

It sounded to me like the usual case of "wah wah people aren't playing my way"

Wouldn't assassinating the mayor be a perfectly reasonable in character action in that scenario, whining or not?

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
I'm trying to come up with ways to grief people in Diablo 3, but it's hard because most people don't ever say anything. I joined a 2 person game, with one guy being afk and the other guy (a wizard) being absolutely terrible. I played normally for a few minutes before I realized the guy wasn't saying anything. I dropped an item, asking if he wanted it, and he immediately picked it up without saying anything. So I decided to experiment on him.

As a barbarian who wasn't stupid, I could easily fight any amount of enemies or any boss and win, so I wasn't worried about dying or anything. At first I was spamming the voice emotes, so my guy would yell "DIE!" before, during, and after every fight, but the wizard didn't seem to respond.

Next I tried just dodging out of the way of any high level enemies, letting them aggro to the squishy wizard, or hitting any of the environmental death traps when the wizard got close. I got him killed a few times by smashing the explodey things or the enemies that blow up when they die when he was near, then not reviving him, but he still didn't talk.

He died almost immediately during every boss, and I'd just force him to wait and watch me beat them before taking the loot and leaving as fast as I could, sometimes preventing him from getting any loot himself.

I even tried roleplaying the heroic knight; "Have no dear, citizen! I will avenge your death." or "Ah ha! Villains! Let us do battle." etc.

But he wouldn't loving say anything. Did I just get a lovely, quiet person or what? Is there anything else I can do to lame people on my team?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
And wouldn't it be one of the civilians who killed the mayor, and not the SWAT griefers? It sounds like they literally got permabanned for stopping a griefer while following the rules. :payduck:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Slappy Moose posted:

But he wouldn't loving say anything. Did I just get a lovely, quiet person or what? Is there anything else I can do to lame people on my team?

D3 has very slim grief-leverage, and Blizzard seems quick to patch it out when they notice it. Personally, I'm just hoping they add voice chat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That sounds less like a grief and more like roleplaying a third world country.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

FuzzyPickles posted:

I have an old clip of this when I had managed to hit almost the entire PUG raid with Water walking while we were waiting for loot to be dispersed. Only the healers (except one who was just being an rear end the entire time), and two tanks were spared. Please ignore the terrible UI and spelling.

http://youtu.be/mZbXdBERSRk

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

And wouldn't it be one of the civilians who killed the mayor, and not the SWAT griefers? It sounds like they literally got permabanned for stopping a griefer while following the rules. :payduck:

To me, the whole thing sounds like there wasn't any griefing. It looks a case of people on a roleplay server creating a scenario and then roleplaying it, all while having good fun at it. I guess I don't really understand the kinds of people who play on RP servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I think that's why I have such respect for the people behind EVE. From what I've heard, their reaction to the whole Goonswarm thing has been "Well, that's how it's running, so that's how it's running". I mean no one is hacking or anything, it's all people playing the game a certain way. They just happen to be really, really effective space-dicks.

The problem as it's been said before is a lot of RPing is "I want to run MY world MY way and if YOU don't like it I'll BAN YOU"

• Locked thread