Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Other than the cost to replace them that's not necessarily a bad thing. Those things suck on the Z06 - in my girlfriend's dad's the first thing I noticed was that even at up around 140 the roar from them was about as loud if not louder than the engine. Supposedly the Michelin Pilots are miles better on the Vette's.

At Bondurant driving school, their trainer C6s had Pilot Sport PS2s. I was totally sold. Definitely planning on going to it despite the cost.

blk96gt posted:

What kind of oil temps were you seeing? My last time at the track I was hitting around 285 in my LS3 Camaro. I think it's about time for an aftermarket oil cooler if I keep tracking this car.
265 or so. This is temp that Bondurant taught us to start cooling down from to prevent motor issues. Interestingly, they said they'd never seen any cooling issues with Camaros.
Muffinpox pointed out that I'd kept the front plate on, which probably covers 1/3 of the front grill opening. I'm not sure how much of the total plumbing for the radiator goes through there, though, since the Vette is a bottom feeder.

quote:

BTW, is there and HPDE/road course thread? I see the autocross one floating around but that's it.
There was, but it didn't have a lot of posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

The Avant has a new friend. I bet it's happy. :)

It probably was, until I put it on a truck and sent it to its new home this morning. :(

God drat I already miss it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

Just picked it up today. 2008 300C. It's a whale, but I love it.

Nice color. I have me in the darker gray that they showed the concept in.

Tell me - are the little fake air inlets next to the fog lights blacked out on your car, or odd color? I'm talking about the plastic panel inside the cutout.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

DropShadow posted:

It probably was, until I put it on a truck and sent it to its new home this morning. :(

Oh man, I wish I would have known -- I'd gladly have purchased it from you and kept it, "in the family."

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Had it for a week, but finally got it insured this weekend since I had to find someone that would insure a non NA VIN.

'89 535i 5spd, imported from germany a couple years ago. 182000km. Wasn't even really planning to buy, but the price was right.

The style 16s need to go, I'm thinking of picking up Style 32s, Style 5s or Style 42s.

:argh: Stupid german cars and lack of cupholders

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

EvilBeard posted:

Just picked it up today. 2008 300C. It's a whale, but I love it.

Enjoy your whale man. After driving my new Taurus for 3 weeks, it makes my commute on the highway much more enjoyable. American boats are truly great at being comfortable as gently caress at getting you where you're going.

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

Crustashio posted:

Had it for a week, but finally got it insured this weekend since I had to find someone that would insure a non NA VIN.

'89 535i 5spd, imported from germany a couple years ago. 182000km. Wasn't even really planning to buy, but the price was right.

The style 16s need to go, I'm thinking of picking up Style 32s, Style 5s or Style 42s.

One vote for 5's.

Congratulations, that's a very tidy looking car! I'm particularly impressed with the condition of the interior - most I've seen of similar milage, the cloth seats are shot to poo poo by now. I've recently been seriously considering a 5-speed E34 but I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. How it is?

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I've had this guy for a couple weeks now. 2001 Legacy Blitzen.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Just bought on Friday, best thing I've ever done.

Even though it's not an LS2, it's still plenty fast. Now I've just got to disable CAGS cause 1 > 4 shifting is terrible.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

PromethiumX posted:

What do (did?) you think of your CTS-V? I am in the market for a high-powered v8 sports car and I like the idea of a 500hp 4 door sedan for 70k.

Obligatory Shrill for C63 AMG

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Cactrot posted:

Just bought on Friday, best thing I've ever done.

Even though it's not an LS2, it's still plenty fast. Now I've just got to disable CAGS cause 1 > 4 shifting is terrible.

It's ok - the 04 GTOs sound the best. I really wish I hadn't sold mine because every time I see one it makes me wish more and more that I hadn't sold it.

You should check out ls1gto.com. Great source of knowledge.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dizman posted:

It's ok - the 04 GTOs sound the best. I really wish I hadn't sold mine because every time I see one it makes me wish more and more that I hadn't sold it.

You should check out ls1gto.com. Great source of knowledge.

Oh god, the sound is amazing! They could have left the radio out of the car and I wouldn't complain.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Putrescine posted:

Matching Scrubs

S2KI Meet in Austin, TX last month prior to running Lime Creek Road.
Always loved that color, could just never fully get behind the all blue interior.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What??? Do something cool with your lip again please!

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
It seems everybody loves the cheap speed that is the GTO. Which is odd that I see so many of them since I thought they were a sales flop. But the kid across the street from me just picked up a Red '04 GTO. And the guy I go shooting with picked up a Blue '04 a month and a half ago. Both were at the $10k price point too.

Why do you say the LS1 sounds better than the LS2?

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

_firehawk posted:

It seems everybody loves the cheap speed that is the GTO. Which is odd that I see so many of them since I thought they were a sales flop. But the kid across the street from me just picked up a Red '04 GTO. And the guy I go shooting with picked up a Blue '04 a month and a half ago. Both were at the $10k price point too.

Why do you say the LS1 sounds better than the LS2?

Because they actually put effort into designing the sound on the LS1 GTOs. Everyone wanted dual exhaust though (dual as in separate pipes in the left and right side of the car - the 04 actually had a true dual exhaust, but they both exited on the driver side of the car) so for the 04/05 they haphazardly threw a dual exhaust on there to appease all the people who were moaning and complaining.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Steve McScene posted:

What??? Do something cool with your lip again please!
Haha, I'm trying to figure something out, the new lip doesn't lend itself to the same treatment as the old one since it's more integrated with the bumper.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Dizman posted:

Because they actually put effort into designing the sound on the LS1 GTOs. Everyone wanted dual exhaust though (dual as in separate pipes in the left and right side of the car - the 04 actually had a true dual exhaust, but they both exited on the driver side of the car) so for the 04/05 they haphazardly threw a dual exhaust on there to appease all the people who were moaning and complaining.

Meh... this is all subjective. I just installed longtube headers,full exhaust, and did the 05-06 conversion on my Pulse Red and the sound is just amazing.

I did enjoy the stock exhaust for the most part but it wasn't until I removed the cat's that it really opened up the sound and gave it a more distinct rumble.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

I miss mine too. We need an Avants Anonymous support therapy group.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

XCPuff posted:

Meh... this is all subjective. I just installed longtube headers,full exhaust, and did the 05-06 conversion on my Pulse Red and the sound is just amazing.

I did enjoy the stock exhaust for the most part but it wasn't until I removed the cat's that it really opened up the sound and gave it a more distinct rumble.

Well once you take the stock exhaust out of the picture the point is moot. You're now using different mufflers, that are in a completely different location and they're not going to sound anything like the stock exhaust. Stock for stock the LS1 sounds MUCH better than the LS2, hands down. Aftermarket exhaust ftw though. What set up did you go with? I've been a big fan of the Spintech, SLP LM1 and Corsa sport exhausts for the GTOs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Yeticopter posted:

I've been going back and forth on posting this (wanted to wait until I could get better, outside DSLR pics) but here it is. My yesterday purchased 1993 Porsche RS America. Poor thing is still sitting w/o plates until I can find a decent policy, since my plan of insuring it under a historic/classic car rate has basically blown up in my face.

I looked at mostly stock examples for a while before I found this track weapon, I'm not crazy about the BBS wheels or ride height but all that means is I'll have to be extra careful cruising around the city.

few other interesting bits: corbeau buckets with 5-point harnesses, Safety Devices half cage, full bilstein suspension, all four factory options (AC, radio, sunroof, LSD) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I'm totally psyched to have this thing but I'm a little scared since it's my first Porsche.

My friend ran into you today while you were getting gas for that thing, he complimented your car. He was driving a white B5 S4 with an RS4 bumper. Just thought I'd share what a small world it is!

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Dizman posted:

Well once you take the stock exhaust out of the picture the point is moot. You're now using different mufflers, that are in a completely different location and they're not going to sound anything like the stock exhaust. Stock for stock the LS1 sounds MUCH better than the LS2, hands down. Aftermarket exhaust ftw though. What set up did you go with? I've been a big fan of the Spintech, SLP LM1 and Corsa sport exhausts for the GTOs.

Yeah I agree with you on those points. I dunno what I was arguing tell you the truth, I think I was still half asleep.

Anyway, this is a youtube a buddy of mine filmed a couple days after we finished the install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3slpCHbarMM

I think it sounds pretty good, he made a mod list at the beginning of the video.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sabmo posted:

One vote for 5's.

Congratulations, that's a very tidy looking car! I'm particularly impressed with the condition of the interior - most I've seen of similar milage, the cloth seats are shot to poo poo by now. I've recently been seriously considering a 5-speed E34 but I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. How it is?

So far I like it. It definitely feels very 80s BMW. Big steering wheel, Long clutch throw with an upright seating position. Thankfully it has telescoping steering, otherwise I honestly couldn't have driven the car (5'6).

The steering is very light, as is expected with a recirculating ball setup. But really, I bought this car to use as a commuter/city car for awhile and the light steering/soft suspension is nice for that. Torque from the M30 is nice as well, it doesn't need to be driven hard.

The only thing I didn't realize is mine doesn't have A/C - didn't even think to check before I bought it. If it gets really uncomfortable during my commute I may have to fix a few little niggles, unload it then use my e36 until I can find an e39...I did always want the V8.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

DropShadow posted:

Fffffffffuuuuuuck I wish I had known you were selling it. I've been trying to sell my TSX for a while and would have dropped my price on it pretty significantly to move it in order to allow me to buy your Avant.

Hope it went to a good home!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

blk96gt posted:

BTW, is there and HPDE/road course thread? I see the autocross one floating around but that's it.

No but someone should start a thread for HPDE/racing. Maybe I'll put some effort into making a decent OP.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Update on the monte Carlo posted previously

Should have it back next week!

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
She's nothing special, but I love her nonetheless. :) 2007 Mazda6.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Shinde posted:

She's nothing special, but I love her nonetheless. :) 2007 Mazda6.

Great car. My wife and I own one (her car mainly), but I love driving the drat thing. Ours is only the 4cyl but christ, if that thing isn't fun to drive. I never knew a front wheel drive car could handle so well.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dracon Wolf posted:

Great car. My wife and I own one (her car mainly), but I love driving the drat thing. Ours is only the 4cyl but christ, if that thing isn't fun to drive. I never knew a front wheel drive car could handle so well.
We're a Mazda family ourselves. I had an '05 6S GT, she had a 6i sport. Hers drove far better than the heavy V6 model, but mine had a lot more power. We traded in mine a year and a half ago for a '06 Speed6 sport, the thing drives awesome, is plenty fast for me, and drives great in the Utah climate. Ride is a bit stiff, but I don't mind it for the handling. :)

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

Update on the monte Carlo posted previously

Should have it back next week!

I am excited to see how it turns out!

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

GramCracker posted:

My friend ran into you today while you were getting gas for that thing, he complimented your car. He was driving a white B5 S4 with an RS4 bumper. Just thought I'd share what a small world it is!

Really? Was this at a rest stop in the middle of CT? Don't remember seeing any B5's today...

edit: just noticed the post is a few days old. Yeah, I think I remember your friend, he was on the Merrit/Hutch parkway. I usually have 2 or more conversations with strangers every time I take that car out. Some dude just ran up to my window today while I was sitting at a red light and started chatting my ear off about how his friend bought a GTO but it wasn't a real GTO because the PO put a fake badge on it and I should be careful because he thought it might not be a real RS... I tend to prefer the ubiquitous thumbs up.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 15, 2012

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MechanizedDeath
Aug 14, 2007

2006 srt8 & 2010 brat

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

But Subaru stopped importing them in 1987...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Dracon Wolf posted:

Agreed. I love my '04. Great MPG too.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

2010 BMW 135i
6 Speed manual
Sport Package
BMS DCI
Eibach springs
BMS JB4 (sitting in a drawer somewhere since I've been too much of a pussy to actually install it)

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

I love this thing and your thread. Thank you for keeping the rotary dream alive :patriot:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Posted the cel phone pic from the dealership a week ago but here are some slightly better pics from my driveway last week. Already went on a small road trip so now the front is covered in bugs and the rest is a bit polleny.

2012 Kia Optima SX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

omgitstheinternet posted:

2010 BMW 135i
6 Speed manual
Sport Package
BMS DCI
Eibach springs
BMS JB4 (sitting in a drawer somewhere since I've been too much of a pussy to actually install it)

This is a nice angle for the 1-series because it elongates the roofline compared to a direct profile.

I'm in the market to replace my BMW and am so torn between a used 135i and 335i.