Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlameHead
Jun 13, 2001
Just throwing in my 2 cents.

I own an OCZ Vertex 2 and and OCZ Vertex 3 and both drives have been great. I would definitely buy OCZ again and would not purchase yum cha for a few extra bucks it would save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

FlameHead posted:

I own an OCZ Vertex 2 and and OCZ Vertex 3 and both drives have been great. I would definitely buy OCZ again and would not purchase yum cha for a few extra bucks it would save.

This right here is what enables OCZ and other shady companies to stay in business.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

DrDork posted:

Well, this both confirms that Intel is the only SandForce-based provider that I'd give my money to, and that not buying SandForce was the way to go.

Talking with SandForce yesterday, it sounded like they (LSI/Sandforce) found the bug themselves, albeit a year and a half late. Intel was just one of many OEM's that released the news of the "spec sheet change" yesterday.

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

FlameHead posted:

I have a vertex 2 that has crashed and had to be replaced three times in two years, the second time within a day of being plugged in for the first time.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My employer was going to get me the OWC 6G 480 GB SSD from here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro_6G/

This will be for a 2010 MacBook Pro, currently loaded with a 512 GB 7200RPM drive. I'm only using ~250 Gigs, but hit all kinds of I/O issues from running tons of programs and virtual machines at the same time. I figured an SSD would be a decent upgrade.

Now, are there any reasons I should not get that drive?

Do I need to enable trim, or does the drive have some sort of built-in trim?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

My employer was going to get me the OWC 6G 480 GB SSD from here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro_6G/

This will be for a 2010 MacBook Pro, currently loaded with a 512 GB 7200RPM drive. I'm only using ~250 Gigs, but hit all kinds of I/O issues from running tons of programs and virtual machines at the same time. I figured an SSD would be a decent upgrade.

Now, are there any reasons I should not get that drive?

Do I need to enable trim, or does the drive have some sort of built-in trim?

The OWC SSDs are rock solid and for Apple hardware noone comes close to the level of support they offer. OWC doesn't recommend enabling TRIM on their SSDs for OSX, although you can still do it if you want. Their argument is the SandForce garbage collection works better on its own without TRIM enabled.

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
I bought a Samsung 830 to replace my desktops Corsair F120. I replaced my MBP's conventional spinner with the F120 and the laptop is again usable! Earlier it took me around 40 seconds to start Word when now it takes around 5 seconds.

I'm never going Back to conventional drives!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

The OWC SSDs are rock solid and for Apple hardware noone comes close to the level of support they offer. OWC doesn't recommend enabling TRIM on their SSDs for OSX, although you can still do it if you want. Their argument is the SandForce garbage collection works better on its own without TRIM enabled.

Do they conflict with each other / cause problems?

What about when I've booted to Windows 7? Will Windows try to enable TRIM itself, even if a drive has built-in garbage collection?

The last hard drive we purchased was $80. I don't want to buy an $800 drive and find out I'm going to have all kinds of issues with it.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Now that I've got both of my shiny new 256GB M4's installed, I've got a spare 120GB X25-M G2 that I pulled from one of my systems. I don't have any other computers that would benefit from it, so I'm going to stick it in a USB enclosure and use it as a super fast portable HD. I'm assuming TRIM won't work with it connected via USB, so is there any other maintenance I should do to keep it running at peak performance? I'll mostly be using it for transferring data between systems and the like, so I doubt write amplification will be a huge issue since it won't see anywhere near the amount of writes it would being used as a system drive. I'm more just curious if I need to bother with doing a secure erase from the Intel SSD toolbox every X months or whatever.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

What about when I've booted to Windows 7? Will Windows try to enable TRIM itself, even if a drive has built-in garbage collection?

The last hard drive we purchased was $80. I don't want to buy an $800 drive and find out I'm going to have all kinds of issues with it.

http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer

This is the post/article around not worrying about TRIM with the OWC SSDs (all Sandforce-based) on OSX.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chizad posted:

Now that I've got both of my shiny new 256GB M4's installed, I've got a spare 120GB X25-M G2 that I pulled from one of my systems. I don't have any other computers that would benefit from it, so I'm going to stick it in a USB enclosure and use it as a super fast portable HD. I'm assuming TRIM won't work with it connected via USB, so is there any other maintenance I should do to keep it running at peak performance? I'll mostly be using it for transferring data between systems and the like, so I doubt write amplification will be a huge issue since it won't see anywhere near the amount of writes it would being used as a system drive. I'm more just curious if I need to bother with doing a secure erase from the Intel SSD toolbox every X months or whatever.

If it's USB 2.0 I wouldn't give it any thought at all.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Xenomorph posted:

TRIM should always be enabled on drives that support it, which is what Windows will do. While Sandforce controllers have industry leading garbage collection that will reduce the performance and lifespan impact of TRIM being disabled, it still won't work as well as with TRIM turned on. The reason why it isn't recommended to enable TRIM on OSX is that it's only validated to work well with the SSDs Apple ships in their systems, and may cause stability issues with other SSDs. The "best of both worlds" solution is to leave TRIM disabled, but periodically enable it and then TRIM the drive. This will restore the drive to like-new performance, but without the risk of stability issues.

The Mac Performance Guide article is a pretty good example of the kind of really bad hardware advice you see out there from people who only know enough to be dangerous, especially a risk with people whose expertise is in software.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
Will installing Windows on an SSD affect anything other than boot times? I'm getting a smallish ssd soon and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the space.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

open container posted:

Will installing Windows on an SSD affect anything other than boot times? I'm getting a smallish ssd soon and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the space.
Anything running on the SSD will feel faster, so office applications, photoshop, the web browser, etc, will all open quickly. It won't really change performance all that much, but things like unzipping a large archive while copying something to the SSD won't drag the system down.

e: I forgot about system updates and virus scans. Sometimes I click to update windows and it's ready to go in seconds. That's pretty cool.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 13, 2012

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

grumperfish posted:

Anything running on the SSD will feel faster, so office applications, photoshop, the web browser, etc, will all open quickly. It won't really change performance all that much, but things like unzipping a large archive while copying something to the SSD won't drag the system down.

Yeah, that's the biggest benefit of an SSD. It's obviously not going to help with CPU/GPU performance, but anything running from an SSD is just so much more responsive than a mechanical drive that the computer feels like it's gotten faster. Here's a couple examples of the difference an SSD makes:

1) I know you asked specifically about Windows, but yesterday I put a Crucial M4 in my Early 2009 (2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM) Mac Mini. It seriously feels like a brand new computer.

2) I work in IT, and about half of the laptops we've got in use have SSDs and are otherwise identical hardware. They aren't anything special either, just the "enterprise" models that Toshiba/Samsung were providing to OEMs a couple years ago. (For reference, an X-25M G2 from the same era dominates these drives in pretty much any benchmark.) But there's still enough of a difference that I start getting impatient when I have to work on a laptop that has a mechanical HD in it.

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

fookolt posted:

Oh poo poo.

So, uh, any recommendations for a 2.5->3.5 internal bay adapter?

I know this is post is old but we bought these to use at work as we ran out of the ones Intel provides and they work great. You can also fit two SSDs in it :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Newegg has the 128 GB Samsung 830 with FREE SHIPPING on sale for $89.99!

Use promo code EMCYTZT1751 to get $40 off $129!

Still in stock as of this posting!

Edit: VVVV Thanks, forgot to link it.. PRICE IS ONLY VALID FOR TODAY, 6/13! One of the best brands, there's no excuse with this price to not get into the world of SSDs.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 13, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Just to link it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163

Yup, hell of a deal..

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
How do the 830s compare to the M4s? My 64GB M4 has been more or less full for several months now, and this seems like a good time to replace it.

Edit: For anyone in the UK - Samsung 830 256GB for £143.

OppyDoppyDopp fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 13, 2012

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Alereon posted:

TRIM should always be enabled on drives that support it, which is what Windows will do. While Sandforce controllers have industry leading garbage collection that will reduce the performance and lifespan impact of TRIM being disabled, it still won't work as well as with TRIM turned on. The reason why it isn't recommended to enable TRIM on OSX is that it's only validated to work well with the SSDs Apple ships in their systems, and may cause stability issues with other SSDs. The "best of both worlds" solution is to leave TRIM disabled, but periodically enable it and then TRIM the drive. This will restore the drive to like-new performance, but without the risk of stability issues.

The Mac Performance Guide article is a pretty good example of the kind of really bad hardware advice you see out there from people who only know enough to be dangerous, especially a risk with people whose expertise is in software.

The one caveat here is the actual manufacturer of the SSD is recommending the practice as well. This isn't exactly like the time BenchmarkReviews told its readers to run SSDs in IDE mode to get higher sequential transfer speeds :v:

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

HTJ posted:

How do the 830s compare to the M4s? My 64GB M4 has been more or less full for several months now, and this seems like a good time to replace it.

Edit: For anyone in the UK - Samsung 830 256GB for £143.

Except Northern Ireland.

Postage costs from EBuyer are still ridiculous for us most of the time :\

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

HTJ posted:

Both are considered something of "best in class" drives that hit the high notes for reliability, even if they're not always the fastest. Between the two, the 830 is faster, and probably a bit more reliable, but up to this point has also commanded a higher price point. At $90 it's the single best 128GB you can buy, so buy it! Just note that the package it comes with is bare-bones, so no mounting adapter, if you care about that sort of thing.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Binary Badger posted:

Edit: VVVV Thanks, forgot to link it.. PRICE IS ONLY VALID FOR TODAY, 6/13! One of the best brands, there's no excuse with this price to not get into the world of SSDs.

quote:

The promo code EMCYTZT1751 has been closed and is no longer active.

I just came here to see if the drive was any good after getting the promo email from newegg :v:

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
My sister is planning on buying one of the new 13" MacBook pro's, and I am looking into picking out a ssd and installing it for her aftermarket.

She is not very technologically astute so I'm not planning on using TRIM enabler as I will not be around to fix any problems that may arise. Of the affordable (<$1/gb) ssd's which one's have generally the best onboard garbage collection? From reading above, seems like I should look for one with a SF controller? Was looking at maybe a m4 but after reading the Anandtech review, seems like it may not be the best choice to run without TRIM.

Was aiming at a 256gb drive but that Samsung 830 128gb on sale is tempting. Can anyone give a rough estimate of the size of OSX install?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

I truly apologize. However, I show the funding for this promotion has been exhausted. The promotion is no longer available. However, we are currently aware of this and have contacted our related department to check if it is possible to get more promotional funds in order to activate this code again. Please try to check this after 1-2 hours. Thank you in advance for your understanding.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

gently caress I should have checked this thread earlier! :argh:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:frogsiren: The code works again :frogsiren:

e: aaaaand sold out

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 13, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gggiiimmmppp posted:

:frogsiren: The code works again :frogsiren:

:frogsiren: Purchased :frogsiren:

This one goes to parents' laptop I think! But then what do I do with my 120GB Vertex 3 MI when I finally replace it with a 256GB drive? :supaburn:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:froggonk: out of stock, order cancelled :froggonk:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

movax posted:

:froggonk: out of stock, order cancelled :froggonk:

That sucks.

Well, there's always the Intel 330 180 GB for $130 after rebate http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Series-2-5-inch/dp/B007P71JJM/ (or 120GB for $105 after rebate)

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

ToG posted:

Except Northern Ireland.

Postage costs from EBuyer are still ridiculous for us most of the time :\
It's now on Amazon for less: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OK6VLS/ Free shipping for everyone!

DrDork posted:

Just note that the package it comes with is bare-bones, so no mounting adapter, if you care about that sort of thing.
I don't - my current SSD is suspended in mid-air in my case by a tight SATA cable.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TomEmanski posted:

My sister is planning on buying one of the new 13" MacBook pro's, and I am looking into picking out a ssd and installing it for her aftermarket.

She is not very technologically astute so I'm not planning on using TRIM enabler as I will not be around to fix any problems that may arise. Of the affordable (<$1/gb) ssd's which one's have generally the best onboard garbage collection? From reading above, seems like I should look for one with a SF controller? Was looking at maybe a m4 but after reading the Anandtech review, seems like it may not be the best choice to run without TRIM.

Was aiming at a 256gb drive but that Samsung 830 128gb on sale is tempting. Can anyone give a rough estimate of the size of OSX install?

I am putting an 830 into my friend's new 17" MBP tomorrow when it arrives as that seems to be the best regarded drive aside from the OWC ones.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I managed to get my order in for three of them about six minutes after I posted :mmmsmug:

Ugh, it's back to $149? WTF? Now includes free download of Ghost Recon. Whoop de loving do. For awhile the 128 GB was cheaper than the 64 GB ($99).

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Binary Badger posted:

Ugh, it's back to $149? WTF? Now includes free download of Ghost Recon. Whoop de loving do. For awhile the 128 GB was cheaper than the 64 GB ($99).

That's one of the ones that comes with additional bits and bobs, the barebones one is just out of stock right now but probably still $130.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=samsung+830+128gb&x=0&y=0

I got my order in when the deal was refreshed just before noon, looking forward to it since it'll be my first SSD.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only thing that can console me about the Samsung 830 being $90 today when I bought a Kingston HyperX 3K for $90 AFTER REBATE a couple weeks ago and sending the rebate out Monday is that the Kingston still benchmarks faster in the majority of my usage scenarios. :smith:

I remember thinking that prices would stop falling once the Samsung 830 hits $90. Maybe now the question is when the 256GB version hits $150, though I don't have much need for another one. Ugh, now if 3TB HDD's would be $100 again.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

TomEmanski posted:

I'm probably missing something but I know on some of the new macbooks the SSD is basically soldered on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boten Anna posted:

I'm probably missing something but I know on some of the new macbooks the SSD is basically soldered on.

The RAM is soldered on to the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro Retina. It's a regular SATA SSD in the 13", 17" and 15" non-retina Macbook Pro.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ah, I saw a teardown earlier that I think was the Retina one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Boten Anna posted:

Ah, I saw a teardown earlier that I think was the Retina one.

Yeah there are a couple articles about htem going around today and how they basically have no user serviceable parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dogen posted:

Yeah there are a couple articles about htem going around today and how they basically have no user serviceable parts

You can remove the SSD (and wireless card). So in theory, you could buy a larger SSD from someone who broke theirs and is parting it out, or someone like OWC could create and aftermarket replacment. It's similar but not the same as the one in the Air.

• Locked thread