Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So this announcement about June 28th has taken all the wind out of my sails. I was really hoping to make it to the Droid HD/Fighter. That being said i'm really torn between the Razr MAXX and the Galaxy Nexus. Even the iPhone 4s. My upgrade is available right now and i'm aware of most of the arguments on this forum. I guess i'm looking for a little nudge in one direction or another. Im very happy with my plan (300 anytime, 1000 text messages, unlimited data) I'm not really looking to mess with that. $200 is my price point for a phone. Help me help me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Burn your upgrade on an iPhone, keep the box sealed, sell it, use the cash to buy a Droid HD.

Or if you like the Galaxy Nexus, go ahead and get it. The 4.0.4 update is out now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So let me get this straight. With this new and 'improved' data plans it is possible to use up an entire month's allowance of data by streaming a single 2 hour movie from Netflix, requiring another $15 charge for more data almost by default. Am I correct in this assumption?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Wow, those shared data plans suck :(

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."
So am I right in thinking that the prices for nearly new phones that people sell on ebay/craigslist/etc. is probably going to go up since there's going to be high demand from people that want to keep their unlimited data but not pay full unsubsidized pricing? My upgrade wasn't supposed to be until February of next year, looks like that's going out the window :negative:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dirk Diggler posted:

So am I right in thinking that the prices for nearly new phones that people sell on ebay/craigslist/etc. is probably going to go up since there's going to be high demand from people that want to keep their unlimited data but not pay full unsubsidized pricing? My upgrade wasn't supposed to be until February of next year, looks like that's going out the window :negative:

Looks to me like this will set a price floor for even not-nearly-new phones. A year from now if you want to sell a used Galaxy Nexus or an iPhone it seems like you'll be sitting pretty with a phone that will still get updates and will let a buyer keep their unlimited data plan.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Going over this with my mother, it's actually making our plan a lot cheaper. Right now we have 3 iPhones and a dumb phone with 700 talk/unlimited text/data, a wireless router with 5GB, and a wireless card with 10GB (we use it as our primary/only source of internet, because we live out in the boonies), and even after an employer discount, still pay $420 a month, but after this, combining everything together drops us down to $340 a month without the discount (which would knock another aprox. $25 off). We're also vaguely discussing adding my grandparents/aunt to the account, because it's cheaper that way.

This is really aiming hard at large families/groups of people, it seems. Individual users are getting hosed hard.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I hate AT&T but drat if I'm not on their website right now looking at plans.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Don't bother, they'll be doing something similar soon.

Sprint it is then!

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 13, 2012

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SpartanIV posted:

I hate AT&T but drat if I'm not on their website right now looking at plans.

Don't bother, they'll be doing something similar soon.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I want to make sure I've got this all figured out, I'm trying to help my parents plan their upgrades. They are both due next month and we are all on a family share plan (there are 4 of us on the plan). If they upgrade next month they can get one of the new data pool plans and share between themselves, or they can each get a $30 2GB plan? This won't screw the other two phones on the plan sitting pretty with unlimited data correct?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So let me get this straight. With this new and 'improved' data plans it is possible to use up an entire month's allowance of data by streaming a single 2 hour movie from Netflix, requiring another $15 charge for more data almost by default. Am I correct in this assumption?

Pretty much!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
But now you can stream that same movie to multiple devices and with the shared data, you can use it up many more times faster!

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Duopolies suck.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

psychosockmonkee posted:

Well, I've been sitting on an upgrade for a few months waiting for the RAZR HD. I was really hoping I would get lucky before the plan change, but I knew it was a long shot. I just pulled the trigger on a RAZR MAXX for myself and one for my wife, in order to keep unlimited data. At least it was cheaper than I thought. Just under $300 after taxes. We are both upgrading from the original Incredible.

Smart move on the Maxx. I did exactly the same thing to lock in my Unlim.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I want to use my upgrade for an iPhone 4 and sell it when the Incredible 4G comes out. The RAZR MAXX and Samsung S3 aren't that appealing to me. Their whole sneaky plan to get people undone from their Unlimited data is very dubious. Why do I stick with this company? :negative:
true LTE and good coverage, I guess???

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wow. The data buckets are about as I expected, but those "line access" charges are :psyduck:. Our three-line plan would be about $35/mo more expensive.

Be interesting to see what additional info pops up in the next week (while preparing to get new iPhones on the 27th).

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Just got off the phone with Verizon. Pulled the trigger on the Galaxy Nexus. Plan is in tact along with my unlimited data. Figured if I hate the GNex ill swap it to the Maxx. Did 4.0.4 effect download speeds at all. What type of speed can I expect to see? Also considering snagging the unlimited hotspot while its still on the table. Got a little bit to decide on that one as well..

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

cuedotnet posted:

Also considering snagging the unlimited hotspot while its still on the table. Got a little bit to decide on that one as well..

I wonder if this feature will be DOA too (once the new plans hit). Since it's an add on feature, there's a slight chance that it'll remain live.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Catalyst posted:

I wonder if this feature will be DOA too (once the new plans hit). Since it's an add on feature, there's a slight chance that it'll remain live.

That's actually included in the new plans in a no longer unlimited way. They won't be charging for mobile hotspots. So if you have a phone that supports it, then you're covered.

Verizon Wireless Share Everything Plan posted:

Mobile Hotspot is included at no additional cost for capable smartphones and tablets. Turn your device into a personal mobile hotspot and share your connection and your plan's allowance with multiple WiFi-enabled devices.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's actually included in the new plans in a no longer unlimited way. They won't be charging for mobile hotspots. So if you have a phone that supports it, then you're covered.

Yeah, but if you're on an unlimited 4G plan right now, you can pay $30/month for unlimited tethering, which is far better if you use it even infrequently.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

The Catalyst posted:

The guy I talked to on the phone said after the 28th it's going to get iced.

Im aware that it's included in the new plans for free. But unlimited data + unlimited hotspot will be a unicorn in 17 days.

I dropped insurance on my phone with this new contract. If I snagged the hotspot, id pay ~ $92/mo. Better to have it now and drop it later, than to not have the option at all, shortly. Im aware the hotspot feature will still exist, but not the unlimited.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

TenaciousTomato posted:

I want to use my upgrade for an iPhone 4 and sell it when the Incredible 4G comes out. The RAZR MAXX and Samsung S3 aren't that appealing to me. Their whole sneaky plan to get people undone from their Unlimited data is very dubious. Why do I stick with this company? :negative:
true LTE and good coverage, I guess???
If the Incredible 4G actually comes out on the rumored 21st (who knows at this point) I'll probably use my upgrade on it, but if not I'm seriously-considering letting my contract run out and heading to a pre-paid plan. Worst-case, I take my Incredible1 to pageplus, or grab an unlocked GSM phone instead. I don't have an unlimited data plan on the line, but I'm kinda tired of dealing with verizon in general at this point.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

cuedotnet posted:

Well, hell.

I right now have a hotspot on the 5GB/$50 plan. I should just cancel it, eat the ETF as I have a year left on the contract, and take the $30/month unlimited hotspot feature while I still have a chance.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but plenty of people have survived the switch to tiered data. Except for those select few on unlimited plans, blowing your data allowance with one netflix video has been an accepted fact for quite awhile. As much as I hate the new plans, the data tiers are nothing new.

I'm grandfathered on a 5gb plan with my regional provider (US Cellular), and have never had unlimited internet. I hate seeing what Verizon has done with these plans knowing full well that no other carrier will step up to the plate with something reasonable, but I don't exactly have sympathy for anyone losing their unlimited and acting like it's the end of the world.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Initially, I thought the new plan was a terrible idea. However, the more I think about it, the more it may seem feasible. I'm currently on a family plan with four phones (two of them being smartphones). Our current bill is almost $300. Moving to the new plan with 5GBs of shared data is going to be about $250 with taxes and bullshit fees included. So maybe the idea of this plan might be beneficial to those that have a bunch of devices.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

cuedotnet posted:

Im aware that it's included in the new plans for free. But unlimited data + unlimited hotspot will be a unicorn in 17 days.

Well poo poo, guess I have about 2 weeks to decide if I really need hotspot. :tinfoil:

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

**Just to clarify** the $30/mo unlimited hotspot feature is only available to those who have grandfathered unlimited data.

Edit: If you snag the unlimited hotspot before the 28th, you're essentially grandfathered into that also. They can't cancel it or drop it unless you request to have it removed. At least by Verizons' own wording.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 13, 2012

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
After being with Sprint for 11+ years, I very recently accepted a new job where a company-paid phone was part of the deal, which happened to be on Verizon. I chose to go with the GNex, which I completely love. That said, I have a question relating to the GNex and car chargers.

I've got an HTC dual USB car charger that outputs 2 amps - 1 amp per USB port. Every device I plug into it charges like a champ... except my GNex, which doesn't even register that its plugged in. Is 1 amp not enough? If not, what the hell does this phone need to charge in the car? Thinking it was the USB cable, I've tried 3 of them - the Samsing OEM cable that came with the phone, an HTC OEM cable, and a generic Micro USB cable from monoprice. I'm pretty annoyed that I cant use this charger with this new phone, as I only bought the charger like a month or so ago.

Anybody have a similar experience with their GNex? Or, anybody have any suggestions on a dual USB charger that will work with the GNex? I really would prefer a dual port charger as I use the other port for my Zune (yes, I still have and actively use a Zune).

For reference, this is the charger in question.

Thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The OEM samsung charger is 1 amp. I bought a car charger at radio shack that has the micro usb charger as well as a normal USB port on it, works just great.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This CSR training slide deck got loose.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102191003291214603343/posts/AFuarEfXNLm

Of note, it looks like corporate discounts do not apply to the per-line access charge (i.e. the $40/month for having a smartphone). They do apply to the fee you pay for the pooled data, though.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Cojawfee posted:

The OEM samsung charger is 1 amp. I bought a car charger at radio shack that has the micro usb charger as well as a normal USB port on it, works just great.

See, thats what I don't get. If the OEM Samsung charger is 1 amp, why wont the 1 amp per USB port charger I have work with this phone?

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

cuedotnet posted:

**Just to clarify** the $30/mo unlimited hotspot feature is only available to those who have grandfathered unlimited data.

Edit: If you snag the unlimited hotspot before the 28th, you're essentially grandfathered into that also. They can't cancel it or drop it unless you request to have it removed. At least by Verizons' own wording.

Correct -- While doing a bit more digging I also found a recent story on how you can just toss your unlimited data 4G SIM card into another 4G device w/o any additional charges: http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-affirms-unlimited-smartphone-sim-card-usage-in-hotspots-tablets-lte-ipad-20053/

side note: I skimmed this thread to back around the date this story broke but didn't see any discussions re: SIM swaps.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Catalyst posted:

Correct -- While doing a bit more digging I also found a recent story on how you can just toss your unlimited data 4G SIM card into another 4G device w/o any additional charges: http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-affirms-unlimited-smartphone-sim-card-usage-in-hotspots-tablets-lte-ipad-20053/

side note: I skimmed this thread to back around the date this story broke but didn't see any discussions re: SIM swaps.

SIM swaps are straight forward with LTE devices. We've talked about it recently, within the last few pages. The activation and programming for the CDMA side of things is all piggy backed on the LTE SIM card. Between 4G phones you can switch all you like without calling Verizon to perform the ESN swap for you. If you switch from a 4G phone to a 3G phone, you'll have to call and give them the new ESN and then *228(99). When you return to a 4G phone you'll need to get a new SIM card from Verizon and and have them activate it.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Dancing Peasant posted:

Initially, I thought the new plan was a terrible idea. However, the more I think about it, the more it may seem feasible. I'm currently on a family plan with four phones (two of them being smartphones). Our current bill is almost $300. Moving to the new plan with 5GBs of shared data is going to be about $250 with taxes and bullshit fees included. So maybe the idea of this plan might be beneficial to those that have a bunch of devices.

Our family plan with 2 smart phones and two dumb phones with 700 minutes and unlimited text is only $170 a month, how could your plan be so much more :confused:

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

SIM swaps are straight forward with LTE devices. We've talked about it recently, within the last few pages. . .

Yea, I knew Sim swaps were fairly easy with Verizon on the 4G side. The angle I'm looking at now is if it's worth springing the extra cash for the unlimited wifi hotspot option (or just buy a 4G iPad instead and toss my SIM into that while on my daily commute). Decisions, decisions.

The Catalyst fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 13, 2012

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

My upgrade date is 6/29/2012.

Son of a BITCH.

If you call up and ask really nice, maybe they'll let you sneak in an upgrade a week early? It's possible you'll get a rep who can finesse a deal for you.

SpartanIV posted:

Sprint it is then!

Have fun on the network with arguably the shittiest backhaul out of the big 4.

As for myself, I kind of lucked out. In March 2010 I jumped on a 2 year unlimited data plan with a Droid. At the end of last year I won a Droid Bionic in a contest. The Bionic is now a fantastic device with the updates that have sent down. I love it to death.

I was hoping to hang onto my upgrade essentially for another year or so until something awesome came along. Now it seems I'm going to have to do a Galaxy S3 preorder (then flip the thing later) in order to extend the guaranteed life of unlimited data on my line. I know this sounds crazy but I have no problem buying phones at retail price.

I figure I should burn my upgrade now while it's "worth" something rather than just let my upgrade be a thing that forces me into a tiered data plan. I'm riding this unlimited plan out until the wheels fall off.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

ProjektorBoy posted:

If you call up and ask really nice, maybe they'll let you sneak in an upgrade a week early? It's possible you'll get a rep who can finesse a deal for you.

I get my phones through Best Buy and I have the trade in plan / protection plan, and my phone is currently cracked. Between the two of them I should be able to swing around the same price as an upgrade, so I think I'll just wait until new phones roll out in a bit.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

Here's a link to the Share Everything promo page: http://solutions.vzwshop.com/shareeverything/

Great commercial -- the song's so catchy I almost don't mind paying more money for less services! :razz:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

AlexDeGruven posted:

Did you do statement billing or buy outright?

Our statement has already closed for the month, so I think if I do statement billing, we won't have to pay for our SGS3's until the end of July.

I paid for mine with a card when I put in the pre-order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

ProjektorBoy posted:

I know this sounds crazy but I have no problem buying phones at retail price.
Do you guys seriously pay the imaginary number retail prices that Verizon makes up for their phones? If it were illegal to subsidize smartphones, none of VZdub's equipment would move on the open market for anything close to what they ask for it.

Case in point: the directly supported, unlocked HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus is $400 straight from Google. Verizon claims their clusterfuck-radio version is worth $649.99. Yeah, okay.

My friend and I paid $300 and $285 for our secondhand Verizon GNexes off of eBay, and they had no physical damage and clean ESNs. It should tell you something when Amazon is moving phones for a penny on contract. Even if you paid the phone service for six months to dodge Amazon's ETF and paid the remainder of Verizon's ETF, the extraneous costs total nowhere near $650.

Verizon's "full" phone prices are complete fabrications. Carrier-subbed devices (iPhones somewhat excluded) depreciate like loving rocks.

Re: the new share plans, I don't see it as a huge issue. The day Verizon starts forcing share-tiers and an SMS plan is the day I go back to T-Mobile's HSPA+. Buying phones off-carrier is a bit more of a hassle, but I highly doubt this is going to have any kind of serious effect on the secondhand market. Just buy your new poo poo on a 3-5 month lag like a civilized human, diligently sell your old poo poo on our boy craigery's list, and continue enjoying recent smartphone hardware on unlimited LTE with minimal transaction costs.

kbar fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 13, 2012

• Locked thread