Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm hoping to get a full-time Rails job in either SF or NYC. Remote would also be okay.

Languages: Ruby, C#, Javascript, Coffeescript, SASS, HAML
Frameworks: .NET, jQuery, Rails, Sinatra
Things you like to do: Web applications
Availability: Full-time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I'm a web/java/lovely RPG/whatever-you-will-pay-me-to-do developer looking for a full time job in the Boston area.

Languages: Javascript, PHP, Java, HTML/CSS, RPG/CL/DDS, SQL, bash
Frameworks/Technologies: Node, jQuery, Spring, Zend, Hibernate, Doctrine, MongoDB, a tiny bit of Android
Work Experience: ~3 years as a dev.
Things you like to do: I am enthusiastic about programming and will be pumped to program literally anything including AS400 green screen stuff.
Things I am actually good at: Web Apps.

MSPain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 5, 2012

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

I am looking for someone who can make some custom changes to my Wordpress thesis blogs. One is a new site that needs some basic changes.

The other is an older site that I transitioned to a new website design and has some issues I need to iron out.

Email me at Buysomethingawesome@gmail.com if interested.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

My employer, SiteGoals, is looking for an experienced Front-end Developer in Austin, TX. Must be familiar with HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, and ideally know enough PHP to be able to create custom themes in Wordpress or views in CodeIgniter, Zend, etc. Email/pm me directly: jordan [at] sitegoals [dot] com.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Looking for someone to upload Opencart online store software, a theme and get my online site all working for me so I can go ahead and just add in the items I am selling and prices.

I don't have a huge budget, but I don't want to be stingy either. It shouldn't be too big of a job, and ongoing work can be expected as I need other changes and functions added.

Let me know if you have the experience with such things. Available via PM or fenriswulf at iinet dot net dot au.

Cheers!

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 12, 2012

tridens
Feb 3, 2007

Hooya hey
I've dreamed up a project, but I don't even know what type of architecture/coding/hardware I need in order to accomplish some of the major functions. Below is an interaction between user and system that would require a lot of different pieces ... Any information as to what those pieces are (or a better place to post this, suggestions, etc) are greatly appreciated ... best to email me at spamail@maine.rr.com

Example
Every user defines two values, X and Y (hours) via graphic interface on iPhone or Android. The centralized server/system maintains a timer for each user set to a random value between X and Y (hours).

At expiration of the timer, the system:
Checks if the user is logged in
If the user is logged in, then:
- The timer is reset (to a value between X and Y) and variables associated with the user are manipulated

If the user is not logged in, then:
- System texts the user’s cell phone and starts another (10-minute) timer

If the user logs in before this 10-minute timer expires, then:
- Variables associated with the user are manipulated

If the 10-minute timer expires (the user doesn’t log in), then:
- Variables associated with the user are manipulated

------
So there is a mobile app, a server (of some sort??), sub-routines running for each user (in this case, the timer), the system needs to be able to tell if someone is logged in, the system needs to be able to interface with the real work (e.g. call a cell phone), and there'd be a database to store user info and other data.

Ideas?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

tridens posted:

I've dreamed up a project.
Ideas?

Very doable, but what's the use case? Hit me up at Solidus at gmail if you want to thrash-out your idea a bit more.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I'm looking for a PHP web developer, with some experience integrating payment systems for a project. I don't want to get too much more in-detail in this post, but it would be a reasonably long-term project. PM me or leave contact information.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
I'm a freelance software engineer, looking for contract/consulting work.

Location: Brisbane, Australia (although happy/looking to work remotely)
Languages: JavaScript, PHP, MySQL, python, Action Script 2. A little bit of Java, C, C++, and Haskell are all in my history, too
Frameworks/Technologies: jQuery, ExtJS, Pyramid, Django, Zope/Plone, Wordpress, able to pick up pretty much anything thrown at me.
Work Experience: ~6 years as a web dev, server admin, software architect, etc.
Things I like to do: I like to design and build systems from scratch; mess around with web frameworks; amuse myself with code
Things I am actually good at: Web Apps; refactoring old code; building things from scratch; waxing philosophical about 'correct' vs. 'right'; making things work
Availability: Contract/consultant/whatever you have going.
Proof of what I can do: I've got an open source project called MICO that I designed and built myself in my spare time over about a month.
Contact me: through PM, or at sam [AT] samuellevy [DOT] com.
Resume (if you feel the need): My latest resume (Aug 2011)
Web/portfolio: http://www.samuellevy.com

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Looking for a Java developer for a project. We need some code that can find a person within photograph, and then crop the image down to a certain number of pixels around the person(just a nice big box, not actually cut their shape out or anything). You'll have an 'empty' image to compare to that won't change(besides time of day lighting type changes). The person could be sitting or facing different ways, so image or shape recognition wouldn't work I don't believe, but I really don't know.

Basically, we've got piles of huge images that need to be cropped down.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

bobua posted:

Looking for a Java developer for a project. We need some code that can find a person within photograph, and then crop the image down to a certain number of pixels around the person(just a nice big box, not actually cut their shape out or anything). You'll have an 'empty' image to compare to that won't change(besides time of day lighting type changes). The person could be sitting or facing different ways, so image or shape recognition wouldn't work I don't believe, but I really don't know.

Basically, we've got piles of huge images that need to be cropped down.

I've done this in C# as part of my degree's FYP (a human-tracking sentry gun) - but it wasnt perfect, and did require the Person's shape to be fairly well-defined. It didn't use any face-shape recognition techniques (like you get in modern cameras) but body outline recognition .

If you're interested, I can modify my C# program for your needs. Would that interest you?

EDIT: I just re-read your post and saw you said you can provide "empty" shots that would serve for a diff comparison, so I could build that in too.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Hoborg posted:

I've done this in C# as part of my degree's FYP (a human-tracking sentry gun) - but it wasnt perfect, and did require the Person's shape to be fairly well-defined. It didn't use any face-shape recognition techniques (like you get in modern cameras) but body outline recognition .

If you're interested, I can modify my C# program for your needs. Would that interest you?

EDIT: I just re-read your post and saw you said you can provide "empty" shots that would serve for a diff comparison, so I could build that in too.

Sure. We're flexible on the Java thing, it's really just a request so that our in-house developer can take over a lot easier down the line.

I shouldn't have even mentioned it's a person I guess, as it could be just an 'object'. I should be able to hand your code 1 'blank' or background image, and 3 images with a foreign object somewhere in it, and your code tells gives me to coordinates of the approximate center of the object so we can crop the image down. No need to actually find the outline or anything fancy like that.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
This is impossible.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bobua posted:

Sure. We're flexible on the Java thing, it's really just a request so that our in-house developer can take over a lot easier down the line.

I shouldn't have even mentioned it's a person I guess, as it could be just an 'object'. I should be able to hand your code 1 'blank' or background image, and 3 images with a foreign object somewhere in it, and your code tells gives me to coordinates of the approximate center of the object so we can crop the image down. No need to actually find the outline or anything fancy like that.

So there's a background plate and a photo and the only thing that changes between the two images is that there's an additional object? Not even minor changes, like maybe the two photos weren't taken in exactly the same spot? That would be easy - look for an area of concentration with the highest difference in luminosity between the two pixels.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
Actually you're right, I didn't read the second post too closely. If the "blank" photo is truly fixed then the problem is easier, though with lighting and time of day changes it'll still be less than trivial. If the blank photo is less than perfectly fixed AND you have lighting changes then your problem remains pretty difficult, but not impossible. Do you need it as a run-time system, or do you just want to run it on a big batch of data, one time? How big are your images?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

bobua posted:

Why would you want the center of the object? Don't you just want the bounding box? (you can get the center from a bounding box but not vice-versa)

Also I have a hunch that this problem is more complex than you realize (because to a layman it sounds pretty simple) and that your budget is too small for it, unless there's some pre-existing library out there that already does this sort of thing and a coder just needs to wrap it in a script/tool. As Moreleth said, with lighting/time of day changes, the base image isn't truly "fixed", which ups the complexity by quite a bit. What kind of budget do you have allocated for this?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
If you have a small set of images (ten-thousands or below) that you just want to crop, instead of building an automated solution, consider paying some people to crop the images individually using a specially built cropping tool, or forking out to the Amazon Mechanical Turk.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

No, this needs to be done on the fly. ~400k images. Speed isn't so much an issue, if it takes 10 minute to process 3 images, that doesn't really matter to us.

We don't have a budget, this is a feature we don't need, we just want, so we are trying to get a very general estimate to see if it's worth it to us. We don't have funding issues so it's more of a question of do we want to spend X amount of dollars to have this now, or tackle it in a few months when the bulk of the project already complete, etc.

On the bounding box: I don't believe that detail really matters to us, the point isnt really get cut an object out of a picture, its to get rid of all the extra border that comes from shooting way too wide. I just wanted to get the point across that we needed the general location of the object, not the outline or anything.

The object should always be at least 10% of the shot, we aren't trying to find a hockey puck in a rink or anything.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

bobua posted:

No, this needs to be done on the fly. ~400k images. Speed isn't so much an issue, if it takes 10 minute to process 3 images, that doesn't really matter to us.

We don't have a budget, this is a feature we don't need, we just want, so we are trying to get a very general estimate to see if it's worth it to us. We don't have funding issues so it's more of a question of do we want to spend X amount of dollars to have this now, or tackle it in a few months when the bulk of the project already complete, etc.

On the bounding box: I don't believe that detail really matters to us, the point isnt really get cut an object out of a picture, its to get rid of all the extra border that comes from shooting way too wide. I just wanted to get the point across that we needed the general location of the object, not the outline or anything.

The object should always be at least 10% of the shot, we aren't trying to find a hockey puck in a rink or anything.

But how will you know how much of the image is extraneous if you don't know the bounding box of the item in the image?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
edit: the job has been filled

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 8, 2012

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure about uploading media (you would still need a network drive), but have you looked at Ampache as an interface for playback?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm looking for developers in Stockholm, might as well post this here as well!

Who we are: Schibsted Classified Media
Where: Stockholm (Sweden)
Title: Web backend developer, UX/Web designer

My team is hiring a talented backend web developer and a UX/Web designer. Currently we've launched classified ad websites in growth markets based on an existing platform, right now we're live in 15 countries. We're also about to start work on some new fun projects in these markets.

We're a small autonomous team in a bigger media house with a great team feeling, nice perks, great office location in central Stockholm and some really talented people. We're fairly international and our working language is English. I'm the team lead and you can PM me with questions, or use the contact links in the postings.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just found the thread, and am looking for work. If you need someone in the UK I'm willing to relocate. I'm currently in the north (Newcastle) but my parents are near Chichester, West Sussex so the Sussex/Hampshire area is an option, and I also like London, but will consider anywhere.

Languages: C#, Python, ActionScript, XML, SQL (willing to learn others on the job, have dabbled in things like Javascript, HTML, Java)
Frameworks: Jenkins
Things you like to do: Build Engineering, Continuous Integration, version control
Availability: Full time

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey we're looking for a web developer! Apparently our web department is blooming fast enough where we're having to turn down work.

Here's the listing:

http://madg.com/about/employment/web-developer.php

quote:

Required Skills

Quick learner - your present skills aren’t as important as your proven ability to solve complex problems quickly and efficiently.

Direct and proven experience working with HTML5, CSS, PHP, MySQL, WordPress, and Facebook Apps

LAMP stack know-how

HTML5, CSS3, PHP, MySQL

Expertise with WordPress theme and custom function development

Facebook App development

Mobile Web / Responsive Design skills

Skills that will earn you brownie points

Experience working with SVN, Mercurial or GIT
Open Source contributions
Working code in the wild
Ruby on Rails experience
Mobile App development experience (iOS / Android)

Education Requirements

Bachelors degree

Work Experience

3+ years

Smallish company. 30-40 employees. Can be fun though!

Umm....you also have to be willing to move to Mississippi. Enjoy!

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BonoMan posted:

Required Skills

Quick learner - your present skills aren’t as important as your proven ability to solve complex problems quickly and efficiently.

Direct and proven experience working with HTML5, CSS, PHP, MySQL, WordPress, and Facebook Apps

:rolleyes:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hey now I didn't write it nor do I have anything to do with the web department! Just passing it along.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009
Posting here as well as the SH/SC thing because of "oh god out of school job need". :ohdear:

Languages: C/C++, Objective-C, C#, Python, PHP, Java,
Frameworks/Technologies: iOS, Visual C# and a bit of .NET.
Work Experience: ~4.5 years - Recent Grad with miniature side-projects
Things you like to do: I'd be glad to do just about anything. Working out programming problems and executing them is satisfying to me, and code-porting is something I've done plenty of. So, honestly, anything will do, provided I have ample time. Expecting something entry-level or intern-y, though.
Things I am actually good at: iOS development. Using up whiteboard markers.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The world of web dev is a hellish dystopia. wordpress and facebook horseshit isn't just ":rolleyes:" its half the loving industry now :suicide:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

duck monster posted:

The world of web dev is a hellish dystopia. wordpress and facebook horseshit isn't just ":rolleyes:" its half the loving industry now :suicide:

He was pointing out the dichotomy in saying "present skills less important than problemsolving" then listing a bunch of required skills.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Fal-Cone posted:

I was going to email you and give you a job and a pony but I'm too lazy to despamproof your email address, so I won't.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

He was pointing out the dichotomy in saying "present skills less important than problemsolving" then listing a bunch of required skills.

Its fairly common boiler plate for "If you don't have quite this skillset, send in a resume anyway", basically as a backup in case no-one has that skillset.

Which is a bit redundant here, since lamp stacks are the NATO standard of the web world.

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009

shrughes posted:

I was going to email you and give you a job and a pony but I'm too lazy to despamproof your email address, so I won't.

They say that when I e-mail them, too. :colbert:

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

duck monster posted:

Which is a bit redundant here, since lamp stacks are the NATO standard of the web world.

Developers targeting the LAMP stack only needs to concern themselves with the "MP" part - the L and the A are interchangable for {{B,W,M},{A,I,L}} respectively unless the web application has specific system requirements (which immediately makes it suspect - if a PHP application is calling system() then something really bad is going on).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hoborg posted:

Developers targeting the LAMP stack only needs to concern themselves with the "MP" part - the L and the A are interchangable for {{B,W,M},{A,I,L}} respectively unless the web application has specific system requirements (which immediately makes it suspect - if a PHP application is calling system() then something really bad is going on).

Your kind of missng my point here.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's the 5 in HTML5, the WordPress and Facebook that I was rolling my eyes at (in conjunction with the previous line), not the 'MP aspects of the description.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

shrughes posted:

It's the 5 in HTML5, the WordPress and Facebook that I was rolling my eyes at (in conjunction with the previous line), not the 'MP aspects of the description.

Do you mind explaining "why?" I'll pass it on to our team that posts our job descriptions to maybe they can fine tune their descriptions.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BonoMan posted:

Do you mind explaining "why?" I'll pass it on to our team that posts our job descriptions to maybe they can fine tune their descriptions.

"'Why?'"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hes sperging. Dont worry about it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

shrughes posted:

"'Why?'"?

Holy crap dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing