Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Blistex posted:

NO! These things are a waste of time, gas, wood, and money. They do not work as advertised and I've yet to meet one person who has had a good experience with these hunks of junk. The best thing to do is to find someone with a sawmill and give him the hangdog-look or some money so he'll cut the wood for you.
Obviously the answer is to build one yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyvGCibr7ms

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That guy strikes me as maybe 1 part mad scientist and like 9 parts just plain old crazy. I kinda want to meet him in person, pretty sure he'd be a hoot. My favorite part of that video is right at 4:20, I think it nicely sums up the guy in his entirety.

For what it's worth, I would totally consider building something myself, if I had any skill at all in the welding area. That's something I've always wanted to do, but just haven't had the wherewithal to get started on. Probably not like this guy has, as I'd want to be able to make slabs and there's just no way you're going to do that with consumer grade circular saw blades. A horizontal band saw would be absolutely tits, though.

e: Oh man, you changed the video. The first one was waaaaay better for the crazy factor. Here, I'll post it myself because it was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPu_TcUtyU

ee: Well, looks like you at least posted another video from the same guy. What a nut!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 10, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On a side note: I'm really having trouble finding any woodworking suppliers around my new area. As far as I can tell, there aren't any formal clubs around here, and poking around for businesses on google has been less fruitful than I would have hoped. I don't even need anyone specializing in woodworking, really, I'd be happy just having a local supplier for materials beyond what is carried by Home Depot and Lowe's. You know, for the more interesting stuff. I'd kill for a slab of walnut right now, I want to make a fancy headboard.

Erie, PA, you disappoint me. :(

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

$700ish worth of stuff with the extension drilchuck and rest for $125

Craigslisting from people who have no idea what they have is the best

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Mathias at woodgears.ca did a bandsaw sawmill that looked a little more realistic: http://woodgears.ca/bandmill/index.html

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Spookmaster posted:

Wow, that's a crazy-sweet deal. I mean, stupidly awesome.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Yea and I even talked him down from one $150 :hfive:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'll buy that extension bed from you for a hundred bucks :P

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

oh dear I'm jealous. and I thought my floor model buffalo #15 with a brand new chuck for $50 was a good deal! haven't actually got it yet, but they did say i could have it and would call when I can go get it... here's hoping they don't flake out on me...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

e: Oh man, you changed the video. The first one was waaaaay better for the crazy factor. Here, I'll post it myself because it was hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sPu_TcUtyU

ee: Well, looks like you at least posted another video from the same guy. What a nut!
Sorry to switch it up on you - I actually have always thought the bandsaw version seemed scarier, and that's what I thought I had linked to. His videos were super popular in GBS for awhile, and I have sunk a ridiculous amount of time into watching them. I think your assessment of his crazy ratios is fairly accurate.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

I've heard both ways on the alaskan mills. Some say they suck, some say they work ok. They are demanding on a saw. A dedicated rip chain and a beefy saw probably make a world of difference. At that point though, you could have hired someone to cut a several thousand board feet of lumber.

Haven't done a pen in a while. So here's a pen.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
I am pretty decent at woodworking but no expert. This would be my biggest project thus far, but I am considering trying to make a screened in porch for my backyard. I don't want anything too fancy, but I can't seem to find blueprints or any decent advice on how to get started, especially since I've never made a large structure or anything other than small boxes and decorations. Any advice or redirection would be appreciated.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

The Spookmaster posted:

Nice score, I wish my craigslist had deals like that gently caress you I am so jealous, must be nice

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I don't know anything about lathes so I've been hesitant to look on craigslist or similar sites and have been just looking for new ones. Unfortunately the price is a bit prohibitive to get a decent one for $700.

So lathe goons, is this a decent deal? I was thinking of offering $150 and working from there.
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/tls/3053779227.html
Assuming it works.

If it matters my main interest is turning bowl and anything smaller than that.

Edit: Found another
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-power-tools-Ryobi-Wood-Lathe-37-plus-chisels-W0QQAdIdZ384590811

I apologize if these kind of posts aren't ideal, I just don't know where else to turn as a beginner. Help is much appreciated.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 11, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I don't know much about lathes either but $200 + chisels + free delivery sounds good to me if he doesn't go for $150.

Dassiell posted:

I am pretty decent at woodworking but no expert. This would be my biggest project thus far, but I am considering trying to make a screened in porch for my backyard. I don't want anything too fancy, but I can't seem to find blueprints or any decent advice on how to get started, especially since I've never made a large structure or anything other than small boxes and decorations. Any advice or redirection would be appreciated.

You might take a look at some of those home improvement books the big box stores carry. I swear I've seen projects like that in them. One piece advice before you get started is to be sure that it complies with your local zoning, ordinances, building codes, homeowners associations, etc.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Don't get a bar lathe unless you want to turn predominantly spindles. They just aren't built for anything not weighted really evenly like a bowl blank may be.

I would honestly look to get something like

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-wood-lathes/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

if you cant find something locally if you are just starting out. Jet/Grizzly makes a model that is basically the same thing with their logo stamped on it. I have the jet and for beginner to intermediate I personally think its great. With a few bags of playground sand on a plywood board you have the stability to rough out fairly out of balance blanks without much trouble.

For tools I cant recommend

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html

or one of their similar sets. The price is very reasonable and they hold a really strong edge. I took some turning classes a while ago and the teacher who's been turning for 30+ years and is fairly well known couldn't say enough good things about them and I agree.

You also have to keep in mind you'll need a grinder if you dont have one. You can sharpen on a regular grinder just fine but slow speed are more forgiving and lighter on your tools if you are new so keep that in mind when you are pricing things out as well. With either grinder type you are going to need turning specific wheels which can run from $30-$80.

I have

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080939/29437/8in-Slow-Speed-Grinder.aspx

Which has worked great combined with a few jigs.

Turning can start to become pretty expensive so buy used as much as you can and really shop around since woodcraft/rockler/penn state/craft supplies usa all have deals every week or so.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Man, there are a lot of great logs around here. I'm genuinely considering getting one of these Granberg small log saw mills. Anyone used these, or any of their products? $130 on Amazon, doesn't seem too bad to me if it works as advertised...

I bought one awhile back. It works ok but you have to have a REALLY nice chainsaw and sharpen the chain between passes to make it work reasonably. Still, if you are 100 yards from an accessible road and need to move a 600lb+ log, it might be your best option. It should be noted that I only use it to half a log, it's not going to mill it to anywhere close to a useable state.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ChaoticSeven posted:

I've heard both ways on the alaskan mills. Some say they suck, some say they work ok. They are demanding on a saw. A dedicated rip chain and a beefy saw probably make a world of difference. At that point though, you could have hired someone to cut a several thousand board feet of lumber.

Alaskan mills are great, but you need a very, very big saw. 90% of the problems come from not enough power. A Stihl MS660 (or the equivalent Husky) is truly the minimum.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dassiell posted:

Houses vary so much it's hard to find anything other than the most generic plans. What you'll want to do is study up on carpentry and if possible, get someone with experience to help. I've remodeled two houses and started with nothing but a background in drafting and intellectual knowledge of carpentry but my uncle (life-long carpenter and construction worker) would stop by and accomplish more in 15 minutes than I could in a half a day.

For any specific advice, you would need to post pictures of the house and how big you want to build it. Also, check on building codes. Here you can build almost anything you want as long as it isn't attached to the house or anchored in the ground but once attached it must have a permit and be inspected or they can make you tear it down. But codes vary.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009

wormil posted:

Houses vary so much it's hard to find anything other than the most generic plans. What you'll want to do is study up on carpentry and if possible, get someone with experience to help. I've remodeled two houses and started with nothing but a background in drafting and intellectual knowledge of carpentry but my uncle (life-long carpenter and construction worker) would stop by and accomplish more in 15 minutes than I could in a half a day.

For any specific advice, you would need to post pictures of the house and how big you want to build it. Also, check on building codes. Here you can build almost anything you want as long as it isn't attached to the house or anchored in the ground but once attached it must have a permit and be inspected or they can make you tear it down. But codes vary.

Well, I want to make the screen not in contact with the house anyway, and I haven't really decided exactly on the sizes yet but I am only just looking into doing it now. I'll definitely look into codes and stuff though, but I think I should be okay with that too.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks so much for the advice. It helps a lot!

Rocket Man
May 2, 2007

One of these days, Alice ... BANG! ZOOM! Straight to the moon!
I'm building a quick-and-dirty pedestal bed frame; no drawers or fancy finishing, it's just going to be 1x12s on edge to form the "pedestal" with 1x12s laid flat on top for the mattress surface. A bit of molding on the exposed edges of the top boards is about all I'm planning as far as finishing.

Despite its self-declared "quick-and-dirty" nature, though, I'd like to do something other than ugly, boring butt joints for the pedestal pieces. I was thinking of cutting 1" fingers and doing a finger joint. In boxmaking I know it's fairly common to use a router table and jig, and run the box sides vertically through the router. With 6-plus foot boards, even if my garage were tall enough I don't think there's any way I'd be able to hold the boards steady enough to be safe, let alone get a good cut.

Any tips for building a "sideways" jig or cutting aid? I'm trying to figure out a way to lay the boards flat across a couple saw horses, but not having much luck figuring out a way to keep the router perpendicular. Is it probably more time and effort than it's worth?

Rocket Man fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 13, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocket Man posted:

Is it probably more time and effort than it's worth?

Probably. You could probably jig something up but I'd wear a full face mask while doing it as the chips and dust would be flying right back at you. It would probably just be easier to saw them.

Another thought would be using 2" square stock on the corners to cover the end grain, similar to crown moulding corner blocks. And use corner brackets or pocket screws to hold them together; or you could probably rig up something.

http://houseoffara.com/products/base-blocks/all/OCBE8MD

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21578&site=ROCKLER

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

The Spookmaster posted:

Missed this, disgusting thief that you are. Hope you don't enjoy having money.

Chestnut roughouts from a while back were dry enough to finish out. Turned out pretty nice, but brittle and chippy.

Rocket Man
May 2, 2007

One of these days, Alice ... BANG! ZOOM! Straight to the moon!

wormil posted:

Another thought would be using 2" square stock on the corners to cover the end grain, similar to crown moulding corner blocks. And use corner brackets or pocket screws to hold them together

That sounds like an excellent idea, as a matter of fact - I think it'll even look better than the original plan. Simple, elegant solution; thanks!

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Ok, could use some tool recommendations. I've pretty much decided that I'm buying a Jet JPS-10 tablesaw and will probably replace the existing fence with an aftermarket one, so I'll just get the 32" model with cast iron wings. I also have my eye on a Porter cable router and have found a couple plans for building my own router table.

I'm really liking the looks of this Powermatic Drill Press because it's powerful enough to use for some other projects I'm interested in, and push comes to shove I can pop some mortising bits in there and use it as a mortiser until I can get a dedicated one.

So, I could use recommendations for a good bandsaw and a decent planer. After taking a lathe class last weekend, I'm probably going to buy a lathe in the future, but I have too many basic tools I need to get prior.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

sky shark posted:

Ok, could use some tool recommendations. I've pretty much decided that I'm buying a Jet JPS-10 tablesaw and will probably replace the existing fence with an aftermarket one, so I'll just get the 32" model with cast iron wings. I also have my eye on a Porter cable router and have found a couple plans for building my own router table.

I'm really liking the looks of this Powermatic Drill Press because it's powerful enough to use for some other projects I'm interested in, and push comes to shove I can pop some mortising bits in there and use it as a mortiser until I can get a dedicated one.

So, I could use recommendations for a good bandsaw and a decent planer. After taking a lathe class last weekend, I'm probably going to buy a lathe in the future, but I have too many basic tools I need to get prior.

Did Powermatic work the kinks out of that drill press? I've seen lots of posts over at Sawmill Creek about really spotty quality on them.

As far as bandsaws go, I'm a big fan of my Grizzly saw. They have a bunch of different models and you can pretty much find something for every price range.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Good looking out. I've found a less expensive delta that has rave reviews instead

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Followup post: I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on the Jet JPS-10 saw, Delta 18-900L drill press and a crapload of incra gear (TS-LS Combo #4, router with lift kit, miter gauge, etc)

If there's interest I'll see what I can do about documenting putting this stuff together. Next up: replacement sawblades for the tablesaw. Woodgears.ca likes using 6" skillsaw blades for a lot of his work since they are thinner, but he uses the evil metric system. Has anyone had good results with anything similar, or have recommendations for decent saw blades & dado sets? Also, bandsaw needed!

There's a number of sawmills nearby (or not too far away) so I'm really looking forward to working with decent wood.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 15, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Freud or Forrest, I've seen some good reviews on Amana blades as well. Freud makes blades in a range of quality/prices from carpentry to fine woodworking. Forrest generally squeaks out on top in reviews.

sky shark posted:

Woodgears.ca likes using 6" skillsaw blades for a lot of his work since they are thinner, but he uses the evil metric system.

On his old saw or new saw? His new saw looks to be running a 10" but then I've never paid much attention. I think in at least one video he used smaller carpentry blades for cutting dadoes, something I've also done since I don't have a dado set. Smaller 7.25" blades are sometimes used on saws with universal motors but you can get thin kerf blades in 10" and I see no reason to go small on your saw (other than a dado set).

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

wormil posted:

Freud or Forrest

Indeed.

Someone gave me a pretty decent sized pecan. Two more, even larger and a giant oak as well. Trouble with those three are that they are still standing and 350 miles away back home.

Edit: Yes, that is a Cat6 cable strung across the yard, from the house and into the shop I work at down here in the summer.

ChaoticSeven fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 16, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One man's trash... :sweatdrop:

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Love a lot of the work in this thread. Question (hope this is an appropriate spot) -- I'm getting ready to move into a new house and want to get a new dining room table. Anyone in the SoCal area and for hire? Or any recommendations on people who could do that kind of work? Really like the look of the table here - http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20579751,00.html

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Cant really help you but man that table is awesome. I want one

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Any good handyman should be able to make that, no problem. The tricky part will be finding the right wood for the top, if you want to stick with recycled.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

One man's trash... :sweatdrop:

I know. They'd already started cutting the smaller limbs into firewood. Thankfully they didn't get to the big stuff.

After a 70 hour work week I wasn't sure I'd feel like loving with turning today, but turns out I did.

First I grabbed one of the smaller crotch pieces and cut it in half. Turned two rough outs from the halves, but only photographed one. Both are around 13"x4".

Then I cut into one of the larger round pieces that looked promising. Dark heartwood, light sapwood. Did you know pecan heartwood kinda smells like chewing tobacco? Not snuff or Skoal. Like Redman. Not really unpleasant. Anyway, I bought these giant dividers that can sketch out circles up to 36" in diameter. I scribed a 20" circle, the maximum swing of my lathe without moving the headstock to the end. I'm going to turn a truly absurd bowl later on, when I get a 6" faceplate and a bigger chuck to support the blank.

Anyway, I used the chainsaw to cut this mostly round. I also made the cuts slanted to cut even more waste away before mounting it. I didn't feel like wrestling something this big on the (relatively) small bandsaw table. When I did mount it, it was surprisingly close to true and I was able to start out at around 400-500, a big help.

Here it is, with the outside shape done. I've just pulled the tailstock back in preparation to true up the tenon for the chuck.

Now I've flipped it around and mounted it in the chuck. Since my chuck and chuck jaws are kind of undersized for something this large I've brought up the tailstock and left a central column for support. Once I got the outer walls done and started moving closer to center where the cutting forces and my pushing were more focused toward the chuck I turned off this column with a long series of light cuts.

Here it is roughed out. It's about 18.5" by 6.25".

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Dude. Yes. I have a halfie.

Saw this resaw video posted by someone and it reminds me of that wild inventor woodsman guy who I think Spookmaster posted earlier.. anyway apparently gently caress bandsaw jigs, just do this (no please don't): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJGmwyYK8k

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Here is a table that I have been working on for a while now. The tops are from a walnut crotch and the legs are made from ash.

There was a cut in the end of one of the slab from when it was milled. Originally I wanted to fill it with ebony, but I couldnt find a piece large enough. Instead I laminated some maple veneer together and crammed it in there. It was pretty difficult but I'm happy with the results.

A few months back I made a smaller table with a piece from the same walnut crotch as a prototype. Here is mama and baby.

My favorite thing about this table is the figuring in the top slab, I think it is beautiful.

Originally I had completely filled the large void in the top with epoxy, but I didnt like the way it turned out so I removed it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A local guy has a Delta #28-560, 16" throat depth, 1/2HP, 3 wheel bandsaw for sale, wants $150. The pic he sent is blurry but I'm going to see it tomorrow. Any thoughts on 3 wheel bandsaws? I've never use a 3wheel and am not very familiar with them.

Edit: after reading up I'm going to look at one of the many 12" Craftsman bandsaws selling locally. Looks like the 3wheels are prone to blade breakage and suck rear end at resawing.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I bought a One Way Talon Chuck from Rockler and they gave me a threaded insert for a stronghold chuck. I look online to see they are back ordered till July 6th for the right insert. Talk about blue balls dropping the money on the chuck only to have to wait almost a month :(