Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Does anyone know anything about Triumphs in general and the Sprint ST in particular? I would like something with more low end then my FZ6 and I liked the BMW F800ST I test rode, but there aren't any around here for less than $8,000. Meanwhile there is a nice blue 2006 Sprint ST ABS with a relatively high 32,000 miles on it for less than $5 grand that I think looks beautiful. So are there still problems with British reliability, or is that overblown nowadays like with Harley?

I have no personal experience with them but I was shopping last summer and I am told they tend to be pretty solid mechanically but parts take forever to arrive, so expect downtime. They take a big depreciation hit immediately but that wouldn't be a problem buying used, just don't buy one for near-new prices.

Being 6 years old, <$5k seems about right but I'd look for goofy poo poo like branded title or crash evidence.

Unsolicited: In my experience a bike doesn't need a lot of miles to have poo poo go bad, my vstar hit me with a $1800 repair bill with less than 20,000mi. I ride a 40,000mi Buell now that does just fine so I try to limit the weight I put on miles when I consider a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Anyone have recommendations on where to get a bike in the bay area?

I'm just starting out riding (getting my permit Tuesday) so I just want something old and reliable since I'm sure I'll drop it and I need to buy safety gear as well. I was going to go check out the San Francisco bike yard in Potrero with an experienced friend of mine to see if they have anything that would work for me size/hp wise. Essentially I'm looking to drop a max of $1000 just for a bike(unless I can find a place that does financing which would give me only a little bit of wiggle room, I'm scared of debt). My neighbor is also a motorcycle mechanic, so I'll be sure to ask him if he knows anyone looking to unload a starter bike.

I also need to find something for my girlfriend to ride because she's going to be getting her license along with me. Her budget is a bit more flexible than mine because she's more fiscally responsible. It might be challenging because she's a pretty small girl.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

BARF usually has some pretty good deals on starter bikes. Z3n knows better than I do though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Didn't really see anything great currently on BARF, but I'll keep checking there for new posts.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
My uncle has a VF500 that he's willing to give me, it doesn't run and he doesn't have a working engine for it. We're pretty mechanically-minded in my family but I really just want to have a motorcycle. It would need a total overhaul/restoration including paint from what I've heard.

My question is divided into three parts:

Is 'free' worth it for the headaches the V4 causes?
Am I asking too much to find a running engine?
What kind of pricerange would I be looking at to restore it? Should I even bother?

I admit I'm quite tempted to take him up on it but I want something to ride this summer/fall, not a project.

E: I just finished the MSF course and looking for a bike is way, way harder than any of the tests that have been thrown my way.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Dzus posted:

I admit I'm quite tempted to take him up on it but I want something to ride this summer/fall, not a project.

Sounds like you've already answered your own question there, chief.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dzus posted:

My uncle has a VF500 that he's willing to give me, it doesn't run and he doesn't have a working engine for it. We're pretty mechanically-minded in my family but I really just want to have a motorcycle. It would need a total overhaul/restoration including paint from what I've heard.

My question is divided into three parts:

Is 'free' worth it for the headaches the V4 causes?
Am I asking too much to find a running engine?
What kind of pricerange would I be looking at to restore it? Should I even bother?

E: I just finished the MSF course and looking for a bike is way, way harder than any of the tests that have been thrown my way.

The VF500s are relatively uncommon, it might not be easy to find a good engine to swap on. Kind of a pain to work on, too. If you don't want a project, you don't want a VF500 sans-engine.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Yeah, that's where I was leaning but I didn't know if "FREE BIKE!" was an amazing deal or a kiss of death. Maybe once I'm more settled into riding.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Anyone have recommendations on where to get a bike in the bay area?

Strike a money deal with Z3n, get him to find you a bike.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I think this is the third time in two different threads someone's told me to seek out this Z3n person. Sounds like I should either do that or everyone's pullin my leg somehow.

So Z3n: hit me up if you want to help a noob find 1-3 bikes to buy in the bay area. I need one for me, my girlfriend, and my roommate.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 12, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I sent you a PM.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

I think this is the third time in two different threads someone's told me to seek out this Z3n person. Sounds like I should either do that or everyone's pullin my leg somehow.

Much like ZoSo, Z3n is an Icelandic rune that loosely translated means "he of the west who finds the finest steeds for threepence." Even when you work out the ancient Icelandic currency equivalents and adjust for inflation, you come out way ahead.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Z3n is indeed the man.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd say his wife is the man and he's like, first mate of men. Which is still pretty high up there and manlier than all of us.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
First mate of the good ship Allotabikes.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Let's hope it won't be a Biketanic

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

I also need to find something for my girlfriend to ride because she's going to be getting her license along with me. Her budget is a bit more flexible than mine because she's more fiscally responsible. It might be challenging because she's a pretty small girl.

Lil 250 Ninja is probably your best bet. I sat one pretty easily and I'm not that big. I honestly don't know of any other bikes that are readily available with a smaller seat height.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SV650's, old Honda CB's, and any cruisers like the Rebel, Savage, and Shadow are pretty safe bets as well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Honda Rebel 250, Suzuki GZ250. The Ninja's not a very low seat.

The Yamaha Star 250 also has a really low seat but the pegs are too far forward for short people, and her leg would rest against the rear cylinder (a retarded design).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Does anyone know anything about Triumphs in general and the Sprint ST in particular? I would like something with more low end then my FZ6 and I liked the BMW F800ST I test rode, but there aren't any around here for less than $8,000. Meanwhile there is a nice blue 2006 Sprint ST ABS with a relatively high 32,000 miles on it for less than $5 grand that I think looks beautiful. So are there still problems with British reliability, or is that overblown nowadays like with Harley?

Literbike sport tourers are pretty unpopular these days, the Sprint's looks are kind of bland and it doesn't have BMW-grade fancy gadgets, hence shocking low used prices. Guys I know who have them love them as a great all-rounder with a bit more personality / style than, say, a Bandit 1200.

Go to triumphrat.net and the Sprint forum, you should be able to find common problems (probably rectifier / regulator and sprag clutch, standard Triumph weaknesses)

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

One other question. Is second hand gear a good or bad idea? I'm assuming gloves/jackets should be fine if they look like they haven't been beaten up, but what about helmets? I definitely don't want to skimp on any of the safety gear, but I do want to know what my (safe) options are.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

One other question. Is second hand gear a good or bad idea? I'm assuming gloves/jackets should be fine if they look like they haven't been beaten up, but what about helmets? I definitely don't want to skimp on any of the safety gear, but I do want to know what my (safe) options are.

Helmets are a no go because you have no way of knowing the history, if its been crashed before, dropped, etc. Even if you could have a 9/10 chance of being okay in a used helmet there's a 1/10 chance you're not coming out on top.

That said, you also don't need to spend $300-600 on a "Good" helmet, especially not when you're learning.

Somebody shut me up if I'm wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

As everyone said, don't get a secondhand helmet. My HJC CL-16 cost me $120, and while it's not a super fancy helmet, it does fit my head really nicely. It's light enough and nothing feels cheaply made, and it came with one of those anti-fog inserts, which works really well. The only problem is a whistling noise above maybe 40mph if I ride with the visor up, which is solved by putting the visor down.

As long as it's properly certified and full-face, fit is the most important thing to look for. I tried a couple of $300 range helmets, but they actually didn't fit my head shape as well as the HJC. Go to all the stores and just try helmets until you find one that fits well -- tight enough that it doesn't slide on your head when you grab the chin bar and shake it around, but not so tight that you get a headache after wearing it around for 10 minutes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Dzus posted:

Helmets are a no go because you have no way of knowing the history, if its been crashed before, dropped, etc. Even if you could have a 9/10 chance of being okay in a used helmet there's a 1/10 chance you're not coming out on top.

That said, you also don't need to spend $300-600 on a "Good" helmet, especially not when you're learning.

Somebody shut me up if I'm wrong.

I'd buy a used helmet - you can find Shoeis/Arais for decent prices if you shop around. It's pretty easy to tell if it's been dropped/crashed - it will be scuffed up. Just inspect the foam under the liner and make sure you see no cracks. People that say cheap helmets work just as well as a high end helmet have never worn a nice helmet for long periods of time.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Dzus posted:

Helmets are a no go because you have no way of knowing the history, if its been crashed before, dropped, etc

Also, do you really want someone's sweaty helmet? The padding inside is in constant contact with the back of the neck, cheeks, forehead, scalp... :cry: which of course hasn't been removed and washed.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

epswing posted:

Also, do you really want someone's sweaty helmet? The padding inside is in constant contact with the back of the neck, cheeks, forehead, scalp... :cry: which of course hasn't been removed and washed.

Are you that much of a pussy?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

HJC CL-16...nothing feels cheaply made

How many miles have you put on it? Mine lasted about 1 season / 10,000 miles before it started disintegrating. I was very disappointed. It seems to me like they're designed for new riders who are going to put about 1500 miles on it before they quit riding or upgrade their gear.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

I wouldn't buy a second hand helmet. You can't be 100% sure of its history (or its lice and ball sweat status) and you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a new one with excellent levels of protection. Specifically, look at this list of helmets for under 100 breetish pounds with a maximum five-star impact rating on the SHARP test:

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Can more expensive lids have fancier trim, a nicer finish and better options? Maybe, but not necessarily. The best finished lids I've owned are my current Shark RSXs, and they cost me about 160 quid (also 5-star SHARP helmets). I have owned an Arai RX7-XX, at the time pretty much the priciest thing on the market, and wouldn't hesitate to save $400 or whatever and buy one of the ones in the picture above.

Proper bike leathers (not fashion-weight leather - do some research and learn who the major brands are) in good condition last forever and ever - you can get stuff off e-bay easily enough.

Boots for actual protection are mostly made of plastic (pleather) with plastic armour, so they too last forever unless someone drops a bike on them and slides down the road. If you don't mind getting someone else's foot germs, nothing wrong with buying used.

Gloves I would buy new, especially leather ones. They tend to be fairly fragile things in the sense that rubbing, sweat and rain take their toll on the leather and they're quite thin in places to start with.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

n8r posted:

I'd buy a used helmet - you can find Shoeis/Arais for decent prices if you shop around. It's pretty easy to tell if it's been dropped/crashed - it will be scuffed up. Just inspect the foam under the liner and make sure you see no cracks. People that say cheap helmets work just as well as a high end helmet have never worn a nice helmet for long periods of time.

Many would say you can't truly enjoy an expensive beer if you haven't had cheap lovely ones for awhile.

That said, I have a Shoei Qwest and I love it. I'm a hypocrite.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shoei-RF100...r#ht_500wt_1361

That's a good example of a used helmet I'd have no issues wearing. Just the last generation RF Shoei - clearly not used much and not scuffed up. Save to wear and probably $200 cheaper than a new RF1100.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Saga posted:

Boots for actual protection are mostly made of plastic (pleather) with plastic armour, so they too last forever unless someone drops a bike on them and slides down the road. If you don't mind getting someone else's foot germs, nothing wrong with buying used.

Would it be better to get actual boots made for riding? Or would any pair of sturdy leather boots be appropriate?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dzus posted:

Many would say you can't truly enjoy an expensive beer if you haven't had cheap lovely ones for awhile.

That said, I have a Shoei Qwest and I love it. I'm a hypocrite.

I went from the HJC CL-16 to a Shoei Qwest, and I can anecdotally confirm this. There was always something bothersome happening with the HJC, it was a wind sail, and it was LOUD. But I didn't realize any of this until I started wearing my Qwest; I pretty much forget about it when it's on.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Would it be better to get actual boots made for riding? Or would any pair of sturdy leather boots be appropriate?

Actual boots for riding. Anything else isn't going to protect your ankle from snapping, for one.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll probably be buying most of the gear new unless I can find a pristine used helmet somewhere local. Even then I'd still probably buy a new one.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Boots and gloves made for riding. Ankles, wrists and fingers are delicate and complex and don't like being crushed by flying metal. A lot of effort goes into actually protecting them while allowing them to move. Gucci paddock boots really won't do poo poo.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

n8r posted:

Are you that much of a pussy?

I am.

The thing's been collecting body mites, ear spooge, snot, winter garage detritus, exhaust fumes, insect remains, and assorted funk for who knows how long. It's been set down on bar footrails, booths in greasy spoon diners, and rest room sinks.

And chances are good it's been to Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado, Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity.

Hell, now I don't even want to put my own helmet on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Marv Hushman posted:

And chances are good it's been to Pittsburgh, Parkersburg, Gravelbourg, Colorado, Ellensburg, Rexburg, Vicksburg, Eldorado, Larimore, Admore, Haverstraw, Chatanika, Chaska, Nebraska, Alaska, Opelika, Baraboo, Waterloo, Kalamazoo, Kansas City, Sioux City, Cedar City, Dodge City, what a pity.

That's not even close to everywhere, man.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

That's not even close to everywhere, man.

It's approximately 25% of everywhere, man. Or so I thought. It seems New Zealanders have a version. I think there's a drinking game in here somewhere...

Kaparoa, Whangaroa, Akaroa, Motueka, Taramoa, Benmore, Pongaroa, Horoeka, Rimutaka, Te Karaka, Whangarei, Nuhaka, Waimahaka...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

clutchpuck posted:

I went from the HJC CL-16 to a Shoei Qwest, and I can anecdotally confirm this. There was always something bothersome happening with the HJC, it was a wind sail, and it was LOUD. But I didn't realize any of this until I started wearing my Qwest; I pretty much forget about it when it's on.

HJC something-or-other to Shoei RF-1100 to Shoei Qwest here. Just did 3,200km in 9 days with the Qwest in Spain; loving amazing lid. The solid colours are super affordable too. And extremely quiet.

My main complaint is that if you're not sweating, the top vent doesn't do much. Once it's hot enough that you're sweating, it's great - but until then it's all the chin vent, which isn't great for the top of your drat head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm wearing one of these:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/joe_rocket/joe_rocket_rkt201_gothic_motorcycle_helmet.html

It may not be a Shoei/Arai but it's a hell of a lot of helmet for 77$ liner is comfortable, fits me head well, easy to swap faceshield, has pretty good airflow as well, and it's very light compared to my scorpion exo1000.

That being said I really want a Vector 2, i'm debating whether to drop the 450 (solid color) + 50$ for a tinted shield