Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To the goon who asked about Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, do Mothership Zeta. You can easily tackle it at level 10 or so, and while it's pretty short and linear, there's a warehouse brimming with lootables that makes it all worthwhile along with some amazing energy weapons. Totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lizard Wizard posted:

To the goon who asked about Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, do Mothership Zeta. You can easily tackle it at level 10 or so, and while it's pretty short and linear, there's a warehouse brimming with lootables that makes it all worthwhile along with some amazing energy weapons. Totally worth it.

Alternatively, don't do Mothership Zeta, because it's the worst of the add-ons and doesn't really fit with the rest of the game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Alternatively, don't do Mothership Zeta, because it's the worst of the add-ons and doesn't really fit with the rest of the game.

All depends on your priorities, really.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lizard Wizard posted:

Definitely, and that level of choice is one of the best things about the game.

I just felt the contrasting view needed to be mentioned.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you do Mothership Zeta, keep a save prior to entering the ship around in case it breaks.

Maybe also increase the usual three at a time save rotation to six or so.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Mothership Zeta is a long, linear, boring corridor shooter that goes on for too long, is slighty buggy, and has a button-mash ending. Also, it's too long. Never since Space Invaders has killing aliens been this boring and repetitive.

You get a fuckton of energy weapons at the end, plus Alien Epoxy, which repairs any weapon; however, if you're on PC there's a mod which gives you the rewards without slogging through it.

Oh yeah, it also shits on Fallout continuity: Aliens have been watching us for centuries, and it was them who pushed us into nuclear war.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gynovore posted:

Oh yeah, it also shits on Fallout continuity: Aliens have been watching us for centuries, and it was them who pushed us into nuclear war.

I seem to recall that it's left somewhat deliberately vague wether they actually caused it, or they were just going to when they invaded, which was forestalled by us nuking the balls of ourselves on a much larger scale.

But yeah, it's a particularly egregious and stupid piece of writing if true.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What should I know before playing the earthbound/mother series? Which one should I try to jump into first?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You should start with Earthbound. Mother 1 is an NES rpg which means lots of grinding in order to progress, and that can kill interest very quickly. Mother 3 has far more impact if you've gone through Earthbound first.

Some Earthbound tips:
Don't be stingy with your Psi powers (basically spells). There are a lot of ways to restore mp, including butterflies that spawn randomly in dungeons.

When you get your third party member, you can find shops that sell broken machines and other junk. If you put them in his inventory and go to an inn, he may be able to repair them and give you items only he can use. They're super handy, but not necessary by any means.

Never give anything to Orange Kid.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 13, 2012

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Don't bother with Mother 1 (Earthbound 0). There are waaay too many enemy encounters in the game, and even with their novel approach to avoiding encounters it's just not worth it.

Mother 2 (Earthbound) is fairly straightforward for the most part, don't get discouraged by the first Major Boss. Get to level 8 (10?) if you're getting stomped for your first offensive PSI power.

There is a secret baseball cap in the first town if you poke around in the woods to get to a hidden cabin. Its nothing too special, but it might make the early game a little easier.

Slingshots and Yo-Yo's aren't worth it, their accuracy is balls terrible.

Don't bother with the Casey bat for the same reason, its accuracy is much worse and it's power is only a minor step up from the last bat

Extra Bonus Edit:
Bottle Rockets are pretty amazing, grab them when you can, they make boss fights a lot easier. Grinding on Cavemen with Jeff is fun and a great way to catch up in levels.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Lizard Wizard posted:

Re: Fallout 3: GOTYE: Some Mothership Zeta I Used TO Know

I like whacky poo poo and laser guns, and I don't really care about 'continuity'. However, I've been leveling up Small Guns and I keep running over my weight limit, so I don't think doing a mission that gives me more loot I can barely use is a good idea. I haven't tackled any of the add ons yet.

Any tips for Afro Samurai or playing Children of Eden without Kinect?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mothership Zeta seems to be quite divisional among Fallout 3 fans. Personally, it was the DLC I was most looking forward to trying, and the first one I loaded up. Did about half of it and was so put off that I didn't touch F3 for a month or two afterwards.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

theshim posted:

This is the better way to build a Zodiac. The most important skill for them, though, is Singularity, which makes hits that strike weaknesses do a ton more damage. Since virtually everything in the game has at least one weakness, figuring them out makes your Zodiac do a hell of a lot more damage and can be exploited in a number of cases.

Once you get into subclassing everything changes, but that's quite a ways off.

This is the most useful resource for EO3 by far. In addition to being very useful for planning out builds, the skill simulator also tells you the numbers behind each skill, which is priceless for figuring out when points are useful or wasted.

I'll be sure to use that site, thanks. Exact values are something I hope they decide to provide in game in EO4.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Mr. Maltose posted:

You should start with Earthbound. Mother 1 is an NES rpg which means lots of grinding in order to progress, and that can kill interest very quickly. Mother 3 has far more impact if you've gone through Earthbound first.

Some Earthbound tips:
Don't be stingy with your Psi powers (basically spells). There are a lot of ways to restore mp, including butterflies that spawn randomly in dungeons.

When you get your third party member, you can find shops that sell broken machines and other junk. If you put them in his inventory and go to an inn, he may be able to repair them and give you items only he can use. They're super handy, but not necessary by any means.

Never give anything to Orange Kid.

Alternatively, support the hell out of Orange Kid because Orange Kid has great ideas about spreading peace and goodwill.

PSI Flash is a good debuff that works on most enemies (that is, it almost always does something). PSI Brainshock, Paralysis and Hypnosis are quite likely to fail, but against vulnerable foes they are extremely debilitating. As I recall, a couple of boss fights can be made trivial with the right status effect.

The Monkey Caves are a bit of a pain in the rear end, but you can save yourself a minute's worth of backtracking if you remember to bring a Picnic Lunch and a Skip Sandwich. Everything else you need is inside the cave.

When you finally get a chance to visit the department store, go on a shopping spree and kit yourself out. You've earned it!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Any more tips for Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters that's not on the wiki? Been playing that game for three years now and Slylandro probes are still kicking my rear end any time I venture too far from Earth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Any tips for Afro Samurai or playing Children of Eden without Kinect?

Afro Samurai is a pretty simple game and uses the same slicing mechanic that will be showing up in the upcoming MGS:Revengance. This means you can waste most mooks by going into slow mo and slashing the hell out of them. The only real difficulty spike is the boss battles against the flamethrower guy and if you're playing on an original no vibration PS3 the bullet return mechanic is a lot, lot harder to time.

Children of Eden

-Better without a kinect in terms of actual control

-Is Rez 2. No, like literally, its a continuation of the plot and the stage bosses are organic remakes of the Rez bosses. You don't need to play Rez to understand the plot or something, its a trippy shooter game.

-If you're having a tough time, set the difficulty to experience eden. You can no longer die.

-The game is set up so that things attack you in patterns divisible by 2, 4, or 8. Always keep this in mind.

-Enjoy the ride.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Terminally Bored posted:

Any more tips for Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters that's not on the wiki? Been playing that game for three years now and Slylandro probes are still kicking my rear end any time I venture too far from Earth.
1. Talk to the Spathi as soon as possible, and follow their leads about the weird hole in space. Moving around in quasi-space is quicker, and you don't get Slylandro probes.

2. On that note, Spathi Eluders are really good for dealing with any ship you'll meet in the first part of the game.

3. Your main ship shouldn't be seeing battle until approximately halfway through the game, when it's really upgraded.

4. Personal preference - quick small ships will always work better than big and lumbering ones. You want to keep a few Pkunk ships around when the endgame comes along.

5. When a suicidal friendly engages you, the best course of action is repeated retreat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

What of Ground Control?

General stuff:
- the campaigns are sequential - play Crayven first, then Dawnie, then (if you have the expansion) Dark Conspiracy
- units are deployed in squads - a "light terradyne unit" gives you a squad of four LTs. Each squad is controlled as a single unit, but tracks health/ability charges/etc for each vehicle (or soldier) in the squad individually. Squads cannot be split up.
- some missions limit you to a single dropship at first, requiring you to secure another LZ before you can bring in the other two. Make sure your first dropship-load of troops can stand on its own.
- squads that have any surviving member at the end of the mission will be carried over to the next. Squads that are completely wiped out will be replaced with a new squad of the same type for the next mission (but without any of the medals, etc) - you don't need to worry about losing all of your troops and then being screwed for the next mission a la Homeworld.
- units can (and will) fire while moving, including artillery.
- units can be adjusted between fire at will/return fire/hold fire. The defaults (hold fire for artillery, fire at will for everything else) are generally fine.
- there is a "force fire" command that can be used to attack neutral structures, provide suppressing fire, or bombard areas that you think (or know) contain enemy troops you can't see.
- there are keyboard shortcuts for "use special weapon", "use special ability", and creating custom unit groups.
- most units have a special weapon that makes them effective against something they otherwise wouldn't be able to take on, such as antitank rockets for infantry. These are generally good choices.
- the usual RTS controls apply - right-click on something to issue an order, hold down shift to queue orders, right click and drag to issue a "move to <location> and turn to face <direction>" order.
- there is no mid-mission save. :( The missions are generally pretty short, though.

Unit-specific stuff:
- the command APC has no attack worth mentioning but can heal friendly units (automatically) and transport infantry much faster than they can walk. It can greatly extend the survivability of your troops but cannot heal itself, although it can be repaired by the deployable repair stations some units get as specials. If it dies that's game over, so be careful with it!
- aerodynes can be amazing but also die very, very quickly to an enemy with anti-air capability. If the enemy only has SAMs you can often fit your aerodynes with point defence lasers and hit all of the SAM installations before the lasers burn out. If they have AAMGs your aerodynes are hosed. Bombers rule.
- artillery in this game is amazing (both visually and in terms of gameplay). In particular just about any mission that involves taking out enemy defences or entrenched enemy positions can be handled easily with artillery. The drawback is that it takes a long time for the shells to land after firing, so they're no good against moving targets unless you have a lot of lead time.

Also, zoom in once in a while and watch your units in action. :) I never get tired of watching Crayven artillery fire, or seeing the huge shell casings that get kicked out of a heavy terradyne's turret.

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012

Vadun posted:

Don't bother with Mother 1 (Earthbound 0). There are waaay too many enemy encounters in the game, and even with their novel approach to avoiding encounters it's just not worth it.

I disagree completely with almost all of this. Considering its age -- and also considering than an excellent retranslation was released by Tomato -- Mother 1 is an amazing little RPG, and is just as worthy of your love as Earthbound and Mother 3. It just needs a certain mindset and a little bit of preparation.

With that said, here's some tips for tackling the beast:

1: Go to starmen.net and use a guide. This game hasn't aged gracefully and can be slightly obtuse -- you shouldn't feel bad about resorting to a guide if you get stumped.

2: If you're playing the fan translation, use the Easy Ring. It helps a lot with the random encounter rate and your EXP gain rates, and makes the game feel a lot less archaic.

3: If you're playing Earth Bound (NES) and you're taking a pounding with random encounters, open and close the menu every few steps. It messes with the RNG and alleviates some of the pain.

4: The factories are annoying, leave a breadcrumb trail (USE bread) and make your life easier.

5: When you get to Magicant, grind. Grind like your little 8-year-old rear end depended on it, because it does. The enemies provide a pretty decent source of XP and aren't too hard to deal with, ignoring the rogue Sky Teddy pushing your poo poo in.

5a: On the subject of Magicant, don't attack Groucho. He's not a bad guy.

If you manage to actually make it through to the end, a warning: Mt. Itoi is a motherfucker, but it's doable. I don't remember the exact levels -- I beat the NES version, not the new translation -- but I wound up spending a good two hours prepping for Mt. Itoi and it still scared the living poo poo out of me.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Earthbound: Make sure you kill the 3rd Strongest Mole last.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lost Rivell posted:

I disagree completely with almost all of this. Considering its age -- and also considering than an excellent retranslation was released by Tomato -- Mother 1 is an amazing little RPG, and is just as worthy of your love as Earthbound and Mother 3. It just needs a certain mindset and a little bit of preparation.

With that said, here's some tips for tackling the beast:

1: Go to starmen.net and use a guide. This game hasn't aged gracefully and can be slightly obtuse -- you shouldn't feel bad about resorting to a guide if you get stumped.

2: If you're playing the fan translation, use the Easy Ring. It helps a lot with the random encounter rate and your EXP gain rates, and makes the game feel a lot less archaic.

3: If you're playing Earth Bound (NES) and you're taking a pounding with random encounters, open and close the menu every few steps. It messes with the RNG and alleviates some of the pain.

4: The factories are annoying, leave a breadcrumb trail (USE bread) and make your life easier.

5: When you get to Magicant, grind. Grind like your little 8-year-old rear end depended on it, because it does. The enemies provide a pretty decent source of XP and aren't too hard to deal with, ignoring the rogue Sky Teddy pushing your poo poo in.

5a: On the subject of Magicant, don't attack Groucho. He's not a bad guy.

If you manage to actually make it through to the end, a warning: Mt. Itoi is a motherfucker, but it's doable. I don't remember the exact levels -- I beat the NES version, not the new translation -- but I wound up spending a good two hours prepping for Mt. Itoi and it still scared the living poo poo out of me.
The Zoo has elephants that drop massive amounts of exp and disappear if you advance the plot.

Loid will never keep up on levels and really got the shaft. I used the level cheat for him.

Mt. Itoi is an absolute bastard and screws your party over when you get there.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Capsaicin posted:

This cannot be stressed enough.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Vadun posted:

Mother 2 (Earthbound) is fairly straightforward for the most part, don't get discouraged by the first Major Boss. Get to level 8 (10?) if you're getting stomped for your first offensive PSI power.

There is a secret baseball cap in the first town if you poke around in the woods to get to a hidden cabin. Its nothing too special, but it might make the early game a little easier.

Slingshots and Yo-Yo's aren't worth it, their accuracy is balls terrible.

Don't bother with the Casey bat for the same reason, its accuracy is much worse and it's power is only a minor step up from the last bat

Extra Bonus Edit:
Bottle Rockets are pretty amazing, grab them when you can, they make boss fights a lot easier. Grinding on Cavemen with Jeff is fun and a great way to catch up in levels.

Bottle Rockets are game breakers if you have the money, especially Big Bottle Rockets and Multi Bottle Rockets. The game is more challenging if you don't stock up on these and only use the ones you come across in gift boxes, but your mileage may vary.

Keep an eye out for the Shield Killer or a Neutralizer- each prove very useful in the late game, particularly for a few bosses. Maybe Jeff can help you find them somehow?

Food kinda diminishes in usefulness once you have ample PP in reserve for Ness, but its fun to experiment with the different condiments, and large pizzas are a great group heal.

There's some stuff you can do out of sequence, so don't feel terrible if you want to skip a Sanctuary Boss and come back later.

The rare drop items aren't really worth farming for, except maybe Poo's Sword of Kings

Make liberal use of Escargo Express & Tracy, especially for Quest items, plus consumables like Bags of Dragonite, Magic Puddings and Earth Pendants when you come across them.

Talk to everyone.

Don't bother with the Exit Mice.

When in doubt, Pray.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

What of Ground Control?
Press M+S+V on main menu, enter from massive with love
This may or may not improve your enjoyment of the game considerably.
Not a cheat per se

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 14, 2012

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
I got Just Cause 2 and Infamous 2 as this month's PSN+ subscriber bonus.

Are the first games in either of these series worth playing? Or can I skip right to the second?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Argon_Sloth posted:

Are the first games in either of these series worth playing? Or can I skip right to the second?

I'm kinda interested in this as well. When my first xbox broke I bought a new one with a bunch of games from a friend. Just Cause was in this bundle but I've never so much as glanced it. Anything of note to take into account before playing?

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

Argon_Sloth posted:

There is no reason at all to play the first Just Cause because JC2 is basically perfect.

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Also in Just Cause 2, don't feel bad about using a trainer or mods. It makes an already fun game more fun!

I love to fly on top of a mountain, spawn a bus, and roll down the mountainside with it. :)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Argon_Sloth posted:

Just Cause no, Infamous yes.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

PrinnySquadron posted:

Cheers!. I played Europa III a while ago, but was never much good at it. Whats a good country to start as?

The star ratings when selecting a ruler/country are pretty accurate, and it tends to lean towards the ruler themselves and not the country as much. Honestly you can start with any country that you feel will be fun or challenging. The game will toss incentives at you, mostly religious, when it comes to expansion so you can take advantage of these if you're a smaller country.

If you're curious my first game was the with the Norwegian Empire as a Corsair and there was a surprising amount of combat. Eventually I was able to marry into royalty and took over all of Finland, Sweden, and Iceland for some reason. So far that has been the closest to world domination I have achieved.

Oh and as an aside, when you're at war be sure to quell any rebellions that take place. They always pop up at the worst times.

Edit: Oh, and regarding Europa III, Kersch did a crazy good LP of it which also acts as a fantastic guide. You can find it here: http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/

Capsaicin posted:

Ahh, mind spoiling this one? I've never took notice to the order when I killed them and now I'm curious.

:doh: VVVV

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 14, 2012

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Mayor McCheese posted:

Ahh, mind spoiling this one? I've never took notice to the order when I killed them and now I'm curious.

All of the moles consider themselves the 3rd strongest mole

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the Tropico series worth playing and if so what am I in for?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

If you like Simcity style city planning games, they're pretty fun. Depending on the version you're playing, you can easily face either an American or Russian invasion. Tropico 4 makes it a bit easier to keep both sides happy.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

NESguerilla posted:

They definitely are. They're resource-exploiting, community-building (250 people is considered a busy nation) island management simulators. The gameplay is easier and shallower than most Sim games, but kinda like Evil Genius, the premise carries the game pretty handily. They're some of the most relaxing "build poo poo" type god games I've ever played.
If (nicely detailed) sprites don't give you heart attacks, I suggest you start with the first, it should be available from Steam GoG for pennies. The second game was pretty different and according to the reviews I read, a swing and a miss. The third was a successful remake of the first, the fourth a minimal stack of improvements on the third + expansion.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 14, 2012

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Anything for Mass Effect: Infiltrator, the mobile game which impacts your Galaxy at War rating? Specifically I'd like to three-star all levels as quickly as possible, then import to ME3.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Not a cheat per se

I never knew about this, firing up Ground Control to check it out.

Along similar lines, hang out in the main menu doing nothing for a while for a series of sweet flybys by the CSS Astrid.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

scamtank posted:

They definitely are. They're resource-exploiting, community-building (250 people is considered a busy nation) island management simulators. The gameplay is easier and shallower than most Sim games, but kinda like Evil Genius, the premise carries the game pretty handily. They're some of the most relaxing "build poo poo" type god games I've ever played.
If (nicely detailed) sprites don't give you heart attacks, I suggest you start with the first, it should be available from Steam GoG for pennies. The second game was pretty different and according to the reviews I read, a swing and a miss. The third was a successful remake of the first, the fourth a minimal stack of improvements on the third + expansion.

I personally recommend the third one, it's basically the same as the fourth except cheaper. It is a lot of fun but then you figure out how to break the game, and then it's only challenging if you hold yourself back from doing that.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

I personally recommend the third one, it's basically the same as the fourth except cheaper. It is a lot of fun but then you figure out how to break the game, and then it's only challenging if you hold yourself back from doing that.

I'm gonna disagree and strongly recommend Tropico 4 if you haven't played any of them before. It does add a non-trivial amount of new stuff, and it's available for 10 bucks right now. If you get the Modern Times expansion, it adds some really cool stuff as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Not a cheat per se

Did this, doesn't seem to have done anything? E: oh hey ahaha what

Also, wow, I'd forgotten how bad the FMVs look compared to the actual game.

The game itself is just as good as ever, though. Dropship entering atmosphere. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Count Chocula posted:

Re: Fallout 3: GOTYE: Some Mothership Zeta I Used TO Know

I like whacky poo poo and laser guns, and I don't really care about 'continuity'. However, I've been leveling up Small Guns and I keep running over my weight limit, so I don't think doing a mission that gives me more loot I can barely use is a good idea. I haven't tackled any of the add ons yet.

Make no mistake, I'm only recommending that you blow through it at L10 or so because best energy weapons in the game, and free rare poo poo like recon armor and a gatling laser.