Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Artix74 posted:

256x224 is 8:7, which as far as I know is the native aspect ratio of an SNES game. 320x224 is 10:7, and I have no idea what the hell uses that.

320x224 is possibly the Sega CD's aspect ratio? Seems very awkward to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I looked up Sega CD information and those were the resolutions given to me. I've never owned one to say which it is.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Let's see...

- Your title is bad.

- Your screenshots are incredibly artifacted and jagged, but that's okay because .jpgs are supposed to look that way*.

- Your test post is five screens and a comment.

- In those five screens, you have said nothing of interest.

- Your only joke or comment is "a naked woman exists," which is reused from the thread title.

- You provide no background or insight into the game beyond an out-of-focus picture of the CD.

0/10 see me after class.

Provide a full update (preferably from the first dungeon so there's some gameplay or something, rather than just the first update), work on making your screenshots less bad, and rebuild your commentary from the ground up so that it's either informative or funny.

*That is not actually okay. Don't use .jpgs for screenshots.

+ Scoped out hot anime babe.

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?
I'm pretty sure that Genesis and Sega CD games with 224 vertical lines are stretched to a 4:3 aspect ratio when played on an NTSC TV. I know Fusion 3.64 has an option called "Use NTSC Aspect" that stretches the image vertically. When you don't use that option, it renders solid-color borders on the top and bottom of the screen. Jenner might've cropped those borders off, which would've resulted in those strange dimensions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So, I'm starting to put together a Let's Play EarthBound. The narrative LP of EarthBound by Travis343 in the archive is one of the most beautiful things on the internet; I'm aiming to compliment it with a very thorough informative (and hopefully half entertaining, with the goons' help) playthrough.

All screenshots. Thought about doing videos of boss fights but decided screw it. EarthBound has a lot of strong points but "scintillating action in fights" isn't one of them, screenshots are probably better. Probably will do a few short videos later to demonstrate some tricks and such.

This is the test post. It contains the first tiny sliver of the game. Feedback would be appreciated if there's anything notably wrong with it or if I should be approaching this a different way.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is the test post. It contains the first tiny sliver of the game. Feedback would be appreciated if there's anything notably wrong with it or if I should be approaching this a different way.

Well, first off you need to disable the scanline filter in your emulator. If the screen's not big enough, just use a 2x filter (it has one) or just resize it later. You also don't really have any update in your test. There's some stuff better suited for an OP or introduction, but no actual gameplay.

edit: On the Genesis stuff, it does have a unusual pair of standard resolutions. I suggest using the DoubleRaw display plugin in Kega for screenshots and such, it will keep everything at the native resoultions.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 13, 2012

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Well, first off you need to disable the scanline filter in your emulator.

Good catch, thanks.

Elliotw2 posted:

If the screen's not big enough, just use a 2x filter (it has one) or just resize it later. You also don't really have any update in your test. There's some stuff better suited for an OP or introduction, but no actual gameplay.

Yeah, I'm working on some gameplay now and will probably polish it off tomorrow. Just tossed this first little bit up as a check for technical kinks, such as the one you pointed out.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I looked up Sega CD information and those were the resolutions given to me. I've never owned one to say which it is.

For this game it would be 256x224. I can tell, the anime circles tell me so.

Double it up for 2x the fun.

What the hell is up with her pinky...

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Is a 100% run necessary? I mean sure there's a lot to show off, but once you've seen one bounty mission or hunting challenge, you've seen them all. Seems like you'd end up with a lot of interchangable bonus videos.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be showing off poo poo like that, apart from maybe once as an example. As much as people enjoy things like Faceguy's recipe videos and stuff, I don't think that can be translated well to killing guys in Red Dead Redemption.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

loquacius posted:

If I might add one more post to the earlier discussion about buying games based on LPs, I was one of at least thirty people who bought Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts based on Rooreelooo's LP of it. I think that thread even sold a few Xboxes.

Also the ongoing legal-precedent analogy is kind of silly but the Risk LP was objectively awesome and I'm in favor of anything that gets us more content like that. As long as we don't get oversaturated like we were with Diplomacy LPs.

The RISK LP came before the rules clarification and thread moves, so even if precedent counts in other things it's irrelevant here. The glut of Diplomacy games it inspired were also responsible for that reorganization in the first place.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

SourceElement posted:

In fact, I've never seen anything run in 1042 x 502.

You should definitely put the game back in native mode (presumably 4:3, so 640x480) and capture either as high quality JPGs or as PNGs. And yes, you're sorely lacking in content for the test post.

Artix74 posted:

256x224 is 8:7, which as far as I know is the native aspect ratio of an SNES game. 320x224 is 10:7, and I have no idea what the hell uses that.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

320×224 or 256x224, not sure which Lunar 2 uses or even why it has two listed.

Netbook screens. Alright, let's fix that ratio and clean it up. I mentioned it's my first LP and I'm still new to the concept. Editing the original OP now with images that are not eyesores. Will also update the text and go up through the first Dungeon to establish. I needed starting feed back. Thank you all for the input!

Sir_Phobos posted:

I'm pretty sure that Genesis and Sega CD games with 224 vertical lines are stretched to a 4:3 aspect ratio when played on an NTSC TV. I know Fusion 3.64 has an option called "Use NTSC Aspect" that stretches the image vertically. When you don't use that option, it renders solid-color borders on the top and bottom of the screen. Jenner might've cropped those borders off, which would've resulted in those strange dimensions.

Edit: I've altered my original sandbox post how is it looking now?

Here is a link to a a video I took of the opening FMV, where you can hear where my audio issues are happening: It's a bit unpleasant but only in one spot the sound plays perfectly when I'm not recording...

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 14, 2012

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Eric the Mauve posted:

So, I'm starting to put together a Let's Play EarthBound. The narrative LP of EarthBound by Travis343 in the archive is one of the most beautiful things on the internet; I'm aiming to compliment it with a very thorough informative (and hopefully half entertaining, with the goons' help) playthrough.

All screenshots. Thought about doing videos of boss fights but decided screw it. EarthBound has a lot of strong points but "scintillating action in fights" isn't one of them, screenshots are probably better. Probably will do a few short videos later to demonstrate some tricks and such.

I'm giving this a failing grade for not even mentioning OK DESU KA.

But seriously the test post is pretty lacking in material to really judge, I don't see what's informative about this LP so far.

Test Post posted:

(Tomato swears that Onett is meant to be pronounced with one syllable, pretty much like "want". I continue to stubbornly insist on pronouncing it "One-et". "Oh-net" is also popular, for some reason.)

What.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Weird BIAS posted:

quote:

(Tomato swears that Onett is meant to be pronounced with one syllable, pretty much like "want". I continue to stubbornly insist on pronouncing it "One-et". "Oh-net" is also popular, for some reason.)
What.
Tomato's a guy who's pretty big in the Earthbound fandom, having co-founded Starmen.net and did the bulk of the translation for the Mother 3 fan translation.

But yeah, not sure why the LP needs a note on how to pronounce Onett. In fact, a lot of the commentary, like this:

quote:

No, EarthBound is not cleverly programmed to change {Protagonist}'s to {Protagonist}' if the Protagonist's name ends in S. Which is interesting since that's the case for the default protagonist name. Most grammarians favor Ness' but, if they're not grading your English paper, allow that Ness's is acceptable.
could be cut and the post wouldn't suffer for it. No-one cares about if the game flags what letter a character's name is and adjusts a string for it, no other game does that.

Also the post has a bit like this:

quote:

When all of a sudden loving ROCK FROM OUTER SPACE

Yeah. The impact is pretty hardcore for the SNES era. It really gives you a rocket-powered sense of WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT.
Show, don't tell. Grab a GIF of the screen shaking, it's better than this awkwardly worded description.

I could go on about what commentary could be cut, but I think I got my point across here.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why are your screenshots interlaced? This just makes your images harder to look at and it doesn't really add anything that regular pictures will do. Just take a quick glance between these two pictures; the first one is yours, the other comes from Travis343's Let's Play.

As you can see, the other picture look a little bit brighter and is easier to look at, considering there's no scanlines to look at. Unless you're going for a deliberate TV look (which I doubt you're attempting), turn scanlines off in your emulator.

Also, there are times where you're trying to sound smart in your writing but instead, you end up looking really awkward. What's with phrases like "No RPG player in the history of the world has failed to enter the first door the game presents to them"? If I happened to be doing a Let's Play of Super Mario Bros, would I go and say "No platformer player in the history of the world failed to push the jump button whenever they meet their first Goomba"? Phrases like these add nothing to your thread and it just seems like you're desperately reaching for things to say.

You don't have to comment or talk about everything that happens in the game, let it speak for itself. Hopefully this will make your writing feel more natural and less forced.

Psychedelic Eyeball fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 13, 2012

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ragnar, thanks for the advice. I won't be able to resist tossing in obscure stuff. How to pronounce various stuff in the game was talked about in the fandom for years, though. Some of that will probably stay. "Stay on point" is always good advice. And making a gif for some of the flashier events is also a good idea. I'll have to spend some time in the tech support fort working that out, I don't think it's rocket surgery.

Psychedelic, yeah, Elliotw2 pointed out about the scanline filter too. I've already fixed it for future screenshots and will go back and get new screenshots for the intro before making it live.

As for forcing things, I'll take that under consideration. I am not witty and should not try to be. I'm super-over-qualified on knowledge to run an EarthBound LP, but that's only part of the equation. Entertaining, I'm not as good at. I've spent the past year hoping someone wittier and better at writing entertaining material would start one so I could contribute to it; hasn't happened yet. I am probably going to drop the awkward efforts at being entertaining, present the game in all its little-details glory and let the goons handle making the thread fun.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I went through kind of the same thing with my first (and uh, current) LP. The biggest thing that tripped me up was trying to be entertaining - that's a good way to come across as forced.

The good news for you is that Earthbound is a really quirky, bizarrely funny game on its own! Honestly just playing straight man to its quirks will be entertaining enough.

Also, if you're over-qualified on Earthbound knowledge, let some of that out. The most stuff you can illuminate about the game that other people might not know, the better. We all know we walk through doors, for instance.

A good example might be how you casually referenced tomato's opinion on how you pronounce Onett. Your average viewer probably won't know who tomato is, but we might be interested in the fact that there's a really strong Earthbound community, and it might be funny to talk about how they squabble over names.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's easier to try to be informative and let humor come up organically. Once you see what parts of your humor people best respond to, then it becomes easier to make jokes and humorous observations that most people will enjoy.

Zabrien
Jul 31, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Going back to the board game thread idea, I floated around a similar idea before, except focusing on less well-known games to introduce people to the awesome board games that exist beyond the likes of Monopoly and Risk. Also, the focus would be on showing off the rules and general strategies of the games and less on actual playing, since that kind of stuff probably belongs more on the Play By Post forum anyway. In particular, I'd show off a couple of my favorites and then invite others to show off their favorite board games in similar ways.

So perhaps instead of doing board games everyone already knows and are familiar with, instead you could show off games people are less familiar with, thus exposing people to new games while still keeping the "people goofing around on Skype" atmosphere. God knows there's a ton of awesome board games you could do this with. Of course, it still comes down to whether it'd be better suited in Play By Post than here, but I'd love to have a thread that exposes more people to less-known board games, and this forum would be great for doing that.

I would love to see a thread like that, going into the strategy of some board games via an LP.
I have been toying with a similar idea myself for Mahjong, though using screenshots and playing against the computer.

For games like Monopoly, though, it would take something very special to make it interesting, seeing as that game has very little strategy and takes a very long time to play.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Edit: since there seem to be no particular issues, the Suikoden IV thread is up.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 14, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It's a bit long for a single update. I'd say trim some stuff from the cold open.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Acknowledged. :awesomelon: Managed to get rid of ten images or so.

(I just wanted an excuse to use that emoticon.)

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Jenner posted:

Hey guys, look what I dug out of storage.

This will be a Screen Shot LP, I will include either links to or host the animated FMV sequences myself and I will be supplying music via tindeck links because the CD has all the music on it.

*an entire loving update*

There is a reason the off-site screenshot test poster exists. Use it. If everyone put the entire thing in their sandbox post like you just did, it would not be pretty. Hell, even one post like this is not pretty. Not trying to be mean, but how do you not know about this? Did you even read the OP. Serious minus points here.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Meis posted:

There is a reason the off-site screenshot test poster exists. Use it. If everyone put the entire thing in their sandbox post like you just did, it would not be pretty. Hell, even one post like this is not pretty. Not trying to be mean, but how do you not know about this? Did you even read the OP. Serious minus points here.

Believe it or not, back in the day, everyone did that.

The sandcastle was kind of hell to read.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

So heres a question for the sandcastle. If I was to make a Fallout New Vegas LP, what format should I use? Screenshot or video?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I actually think Fallout NV is better expressed by video with editing to cut out some of the more tedious/backtracking stuff.

(But that's just one guy's opinion).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MeccaPrime posted:

I actually think Fallout NV is better expressed by video with editing to cut out some of the more tedious/backtracking stuff.

(But that's just one guy's opinion).

Yeah MeccaPrime has the right idea. Probably cut out the overworld crawl unless something noteworthy happens. Even through it heavily used mods, you can look at the old Oblivion LP as a guideline on how someone handled LPing another massive Bethesda RPG.

http://lparchive.org/Oblivion/

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yeah, I was worried about the trekking part of game mainly. Its. Got enough happening that screenshots would have felt wrong, but the periods without anything happening are pretty boring.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Alternatively, do video for cutscenes and the cooler gameplay moments and do the rest in screenshots, but then most of the interesting stuff to show off is rather actiony to begin with.

I'd target video first, and then consider screenshots if most of the interesting aspects turn out not to be that riveting in video. Based on what I remember, video would work better since I can't think of any moments that would benefit better from screenshots.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Luquos posted:

I was going to say it wasn't that long ago that I wrote it, but apparently it was last modified May 1, 2011 - so over a year ago. The sandcastle became borderline readable almost overnight, it was awesome.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

...wow, it's been over a year since you made that? It certainly doesn't feel that long ago.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Actually, looks like I wrote it earlier - Jan 4th, 2011. I must have bugfixed or something in May.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Luquos posted:

So I have been told. Fortunately for me, I never read the sandcastle as a lurker.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Jenner posted:

Lunar 2 Test Post
So why did you make the cinematic screen shots a different size than your actual game play screen shots? And it seems you are missing some of your screen shots as well. Also I'd say it might be good to learn how to make gifs to maybe not waste three or four images straight to show off one attack or a portion of a cinematic. Also you don't really need to say what's going on in the background of the credits; merely showing it might be enough or saying if it has any connection with the first game. Also some of your transitions with information are odd, like when it seems like you're about to talk about how to level magic but then you post a screenshot and start talking about the mascot and being to control it. Also I have no idea if this sentence is supposed to make sense:

Bulettes this early in the game? WTF DM, this'll be a TPK.

But it doesn't to me and it might be a good idea to assume that your audience will have no idea about what I assume to be are Dungeons and Dragon terms(?). Or the bizarre Avatar reference a couple lines down? And finally it seems like you end your update right in the middle of a battle; did you just run out of steam or was there a point in that.

Then there is using the whole off-site screen shot tester, but yea, I figured you should get some input on your actual test post.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

Bulettes this early in the game? WTF DM, this'll be a TPK.

But it doesn't to me and it might be a good idea to assume that your audience will have no idea about what I assume to be are Dungeons and Dragon terms(?). Or the bizarre Avatar reference a couple lines down? And finally it seems like you end your update right in the middle of a battle; did you just run out of steam or was there a point in that.

It is a DnD reference

Bulette = Land shark thing
DM = Dungeon Master
TPK = Total party kill

But its still annoying since you have to know the source to understand

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Meis posted:

So I have been told. Fortunately for me, I never read the sandcastle as a lurker.

"That SSLP test post looks spot on!

On that note, here's my SSLP test post. I've included both the OP and the first update to give you a general sense of how the actual LP will go."

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Your images are poo poo bad. Look at what I posted earlier on this page. You can see your fps counter in the last shot too.

While I'm at it, why aren't you playing the playstation version? I was under the impression it was the best, super special complete edition.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MEAT! posted:

Your images are poo poo bad. Look at what I posted earlier on this page. You can see your fps counter in the last shot too.

While I'm at it, why aren't you playing the playstation version? I was under the impression it was the best, super special complete edition.

If Silver Star Sega CD --> Silver Star Story Complete for the PS1 is any indication, there'll be a bunch of different scenes that were updated, changed, or completely removed between the two versions.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

The White Dragon posted:

If Silver Star Sega CD --> Silver Star Story Complete for the PS1 is any indication, there'll be a bunch of different scenes that were updated, changed, or completely removed between the two versions.
Yea, it seems as if there were quite a few revisions. But Jenner might get cleaner images, easier emulation, and all that, while sacrificing some content.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

That's sounds better in every way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Question: I have an intro video I would like critiqued for quality(i.e good encoding, frame rates,etc.), should I post it here, or maybe Tech Fort? The reason I only have the intro is I'm going to do the LP as blind as possible, so I haven't gone past the main menu.

• Locked thread