Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kalibar posted:

Do you guys seriously pay the imaginary number retail prices that Verizon makes up for their phones? If it were illegal to subsidize smartphones, none of VZdub's equipment would move on the open market for anything close to what they ask for it.

Those prices are not much more than they sell for new on the wholesale market. Even from vendors other than Verizon. I pay $579 for a new nexus and I pay $559 for a new iPhone 4 8GB, which is actualy $10 MORE than they sell them outright to consumers. The unlocked Nexus is cheap because it simply wasn't selling and Samsung is trying to unload them.

Yes the market would correct itself some if there were no subsidized hardware, but you can't base the value of a piece of hardware on what the used market values it at. Verizon phones generally are stuck on Verizon. iPhones can be unlocked and used anywhere and the prices reflect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yes it's as if "the wholesale market" is also not an accurate reflection of reality.

The point I'm illustrating is that the open market absolutely would not tolerate the sky-high "MSRP" figures Verizon (and other postpaid carriers) attach to devices if they were forbidden from leveraging contracts to sell units. This painfully obvious phenomenon is clearly reflected in secondhand pricing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One problem with buying used is often warranty support can be dodgy.

Oh kalibar, did you see in the main android thread where it looks likely that the S4 version of the SGSIII will not have the Wolfson DAC?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So if the unlimited LTE tethering feature is going away forever as of June 28, what about the 3G version that gets you 2GB? My wife is on an unlimited plan with an iPhone and currently has this option available to choose, but it would save a few bucks if we could add it only for the months where we would use it. Will this be no longer available after the 28th? My worry is the answer is yes and they'd use the "free hotspot" as a hook to get you into a new data plan.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 13, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why does the share everything plan website ask how many minutes and texts you use a month when the plan is unlimited anyway.

Cojawfee posted:

The OEM samsung charger is 1 amp. I bought a car charger at radio shack that has the micro usb charger as well as a normal USB port on it, works just great.

you may have to short the data lines.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Why does the share everything plan website ask how many minutes and texts you use a month when the plan is unlimited anyway.
Marketing psychology. Focus groups probably discovered that people were more likely to see a plan with unlimited voice/messaging as a "value" if you primed them with the thought of how many minutes/texts they use.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Henchman 21 posted:

I want to make sure I've got this all figured out, I'm trying to help my parents plan their upgrades. They are both due next month and we are all on a family share plan (there are 4 of us on the plan). If they upgrade next month they can get one of the new data pool plans and share between themselves, or they can each get a $30 2GB plan? This won't screw the other two phones on the plan sitting pretty with unlimited data correct?

Anyone?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Pretty sure if any of the phones change, they all change. That's kind of the point (and outrage) of the deal. Might want to talk to a Verizon rep, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Henchman 21 posted:

If they upgrade next month they can get one of the new data pool plans and share between themselves, or they can each get a $30 2GB plan? This won't screw the other two phones on the plan sitting pretty with unlimited data correct?
I'm not certain, of course, but if you look at the training doc three things are explicitly stated:

1) For existing customers, the new shared plan is an option.
2) After June 28, existing customers with unlimited data can still get a subsidized phone upgrade without switching to the shared plan, but they have to lose unlimited data and choose an existing tier (2,5,10 Gb) of data.
3) Only one family plan is allowed per account -- you can't have two phones on current plans and two phones on a shared plan on the same account.

So, in your case, it seems reasonable to guess that they can do one of two things when they upgrade next month:

a) Upgrade two lines and have each choose its own data bucket, without affecting the other two unlimited lines.
b) Upgrade two lines and switch to the shared bucket, which will affect all phones on the account.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 13, 2012

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
If option B were to occur, would that be considered Verizon breaching the contact that I already signed, thus allowing me to terminate with no etf?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Henchman 21 posted:

If option B were to occur, would that be considered Verizon breaching the contact that I already signed, thus allowing me to terminate with no etf?
No. They're not forcing you to make the change.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Is Verizon allowing the iPad as a tablet on the share plans?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No. They're not forcing you to make the change.

Ok got it figured out, due to not being able to have a new share plan and an old family plan. I'll make sure they choose a data tier plan. Thanks for the help. It's nice to know all Verizon reps aren't douche bags, when I called the Verizon store earlier the rep flat out said they had no idea what I was talking about

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Duckman2008 posted:

Is Verizon allowing the iPad as a tablet on the share plans?

I would assume so. Why wouldn't they?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Thank you to people in this thread for giving me the heads up. Looks like I'll be upgrading to an iPhone 4S and flipping it to lock in unlimited data then buying an iPhone 5 when it's released. Any idea what it would retail for based on previous iPhones? Would it be $650 or would it be more than that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Two Kings posted:

Thank you to people in this thread for giving me the heads up. Looks like I'll be upgrading to an iPhone 4S and flipping it to lock in unlimited data then buying an iPhone 5 when it's released. Any idea what it would retail for based on previous iPhones? Would it be $650 or would it be more than that?

One thing.

We don't know the status of 3G to 4G bump post this change. It's possible they will not let you switch to a 4G phone after the 28th without a plan change.

The only way to be sure is to buy an actual 4G phone.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
A Galaxy S III it is. I could probably flip that for a similar price and it's 4G. I just don't want to keep it. I hate my Fascinate and I don't want another Samsung product.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So, if I were to bite down and buy a phone out of carrier and if I wanted to change certain aspects of my plan after the Share Everything plans are put into effect, like reduce my text plan, could I still do so or would I be stuck with it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AppleCobbler posted:

Pretty sure if any of the phones change, they all change. That's kind of the point (and outrage) of the deal. Might want to talk to a Verizon rep, though.

I don't know about this new plan, but you can have different data plans for phones on the same family plan. My mom's, sister's and my phone all have unlimited data. My sister's boyfriend has an iphone and is forced onto the 2GB thing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Henchman 21 posted:

It's nice to know all Verizon reps aren't douche bags, when I called the Verizon store earlier the rep flat out said they had no idea what I was talking about
Just to be clear, I don't work for Verizon. Note my posts had words like "seems" and "guess".

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just to be clear, I don't work for Verizon. Note my posts had words like "seems" and "guess".

Noted, sorry for the confusion

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

bull3964 posted:

One thing.

We don't know the status of 3G to 4G bump post this change. It's possible they will not let you switch to a 4G phone after the 28th without a plan change.

The only way to be sure is to buy an actual 4G phone.

This.

I was in the same boat. Been using an iPhone4 for the last year+ while I waited for the LTE iPhone. My guess is that we won't see that hit till Sept/Oct of this year, so I went ahead and locked into a 2-year contract with Verizon (and upgraded to the Razr Maxx so I was locked in on their 4G LTE network). With all the poo poo Vz is pulling these days I wouldn't put it past them to roadblock people from upgrading their 3G unlimited plans to 4G sometime down the road. Unless they put it in writing, I would rather err on the side of caution.

The Catalyst fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 14, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Oh kalibar, did you see in the main android thread where it looks likely that the S4 version of the SGSIII will not have the Wolfson DAC?
Yeah I've been following the poo poo on Head-Fi about it. Pretty lame. If that ends up being true, anyone who buys a Verizon SGS3 over the next RAZR revision is either loving retarded or trolling.

On the plus side, at least the international SGS3 with the Wolfson should be good to go with heavy AOSP support right around the time that Verizon comes up with a way to actually force us off unlimited. So, that's a nice silver lining for my post-Verizon T-Mobile/StraightTalk future life.

I want to get mad at Samsung about the Wolfsom issue, but none of the other OEMs are even loving pretending like they're trying in this department. :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

Yeah I've been following the poo poo on Head-Fi about it. Pretty lame. If that ends up being true, anyone who buys a Verizon SGS3 over the next RAZR revision is either loving retarded or trolling.

On the plus side, at least the international SGS3 with the Wolfson should be good to go with heavy AOSP support right around the time that Verizon comes up with a way to actually force us off unlimited. So, that's a nice silver lining for my post-Verizon T-Mobile/StraightTalk future life.

I want to get mad at Samsung about the Wolfsom issue, but none of the other OEMs are even loving pretending like they're trying in this department. :(

Beats audio man....beats.....

I mean, why actually put high end hard ware in a phone, when you can just have Dr Dre say "hey, this will turn your bass up!"

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

The Catalyst posted:

With all the poo poo Vz is pulling these days I wouldn't put it past them to roadblock people from upgrading their 3G unlimited plans to 4G sometime down the road.

They will, they announced that over a year ago when they stopped allowing new unlimited plans. They didn't say when but I would guess it's soon, possibly when or shortly after the shares plans start.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Duckman2008 posted:

Beats audio man....beats.....

I mean, why actually put high end hard ware in a phone, when you can just have Dr Dre say "hey, this will turn your bass up!"

I love my Beats headphones, but I never use them with my phone, mostly my laptop.

Also, just wondering, I'm adding a line (a dumphone for a 16yo) any idea which is a better phone, a Samsung Brightside or Pantech Hotshot? Amazon has them both for 0.01 on a new line.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So, let's say I'm on a tiered plan right now. Post June 28, when my next upgrade comes around, will I be able to keep my current plan or will I have to switch to a Share Everything plan? The new plan will increase my bill by around 50% for half the data. I don't use many minutes and use Google Voice for text, so those being unlimited are worthless to me.

joeshmoetogo
Mar 20, 2006

You're fine. Tiered plans aren't going away as far as we know.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Cynode posted:

I love my Beats headphones, but I never use them with my phone, mostly my laptop.

Also, just wondering, I'm adding a line (a dumphone for a 16yo) any idea which is a better phone, a Samsung Brightside or Pantech Hotshot? Amazon has them both for 0.01 on a new line.

the Pantech hotshot is a Pantech.

That should be all you need to know. Avoid avoid avoid.

The Brightside isn't great either, its a little buggy, but a much better option.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Pantech's dumb phones have been good to me, while I have beat the poo poo out of them.

I know nothing of their smartphones, however.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
So if I pre-order the S3 right now to move my unlimited 3G plan to 4g and lock it in, and the RAZR HD is released within 2-weeks of when I receive my S3 I could switch phones, correct?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

stormrider posted:

So if I pre-order the S3 right now to move my unlimited 3G plan to 4g and lock it in, and the RAZR HD is released within 2-weeks of when I receive my S3 I could switch phones, correct?

Nobody really knows anything.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

Don Lapre posted:

Nobody really knows anything.

But in general you have two weeks to return a phone, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

stormrider posted:

But in general you have two weeks to return a phone, right?

Yes but they could still make you switch to a new plan.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

How does verizon process that return is the question.

If they process it as a full return and contract revert, then you'd be screwed when trying to get a new phone as they would have to process the upgrade again.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

stormrider posted:

You don't have to worry about that, RAZR HD won't be out for a couple months.

joeshmoetogo
Mar 20, 2006

dominator posted:

You don't have to worry about that, RAZR HD won't be out for a couple months.

He could try Coscto? 90-day return policy on all electronics.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

joeshmoetogo posted:

He could try Coscto? 90-day return policy on all electronics.

How does that work with verizon and contracts anyway?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

MrBond posted:

For Costco phones, it's only 14 days before the wireless company can/may charge you for changing to a different kind of device (ymmv). I remember some people were able to swap out their Bionic for a RAZR but others weren't able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MrBond posted:

When you do a phone exchange, verizon basically doesn't know about it. It's all handled on the costco end. They just use the subsidized prices as the retail price of the phone and do an exchange on that.

If anyone WASN'T able to exchange their Bionic for a Razr and were within 90 days, they were fleeced. It explicitly states as policy that you can exchange your phone if you simply "do not like it." It doesn't have to be defective or giving you specific problems.

• Locked thread