Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Znyp posted:

Going to look at a 2010 Suzuki GSX 600 F next week for my first bike.
It has about 7000 miles on the clock. One previous owner and the bike is stock. Comes with three "suitcases" or what you call them..

New tires and been serviced at dealers..

Any advice in what to look for in a bike like this?

Clean title, evidence of crash, chain condition, tire condition, can it go, can it stop, does it shift through all the gears. Most important: do you like it?

That age with those miles, shouldn't be much wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its essentially a Bandit 600, and is unkillable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Would a Kawasaki ER-5 around '02 to '05 be a good beginner bike? Anything in particular to watch out for that likes to break and/or be expensive to replace?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes, and specific to the ER-5, no, nothing in particular.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Znyp posted:

Going to look at a 2010 Suzuki GSX 600 F next week for my first bike.
It has about 7000 miles on the clock. One previous owner and the bike is stock. Comes with three "suitcases" or what you call them..

New tires and been serviced at dealers..

Any advice in what to look for in a bike like this?

I always like to check the condition under the seat, gives you an idea of how well kept the rest of the bike is. Ask the owner to not use the bike the day you're coming over, and if that's not possible then ask him not to turn it on for a few hours before you arrive (check the downpipes for warmth).

Take somebody that knows their stuff with you if possible.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

_Dav posted:

Ask the owner to not use the bike the day you're coming over, and if that's not possible then ask him not to turn it on for a few hours before you arrive

so that you can...

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

epswing posted:

so that you can...

Warming up the bike is a common tactic to hide dirty carbs or a hard start.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

epswing posted:

so that you can...

Make sure it starts up without issue when cold. Especially on carbureted motors, cold starts can be finicky if maintenance/adjustment has been neglected.

It's much less of an issue with EFI, but it's still good practice to test the cold start.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I believe GSX650Fs are EFI.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Ziploc posted:

I believe GSX650Fs are EFI.

I believe they are as well. But there are still other issues that can be hidden by warming the bike up. I don't think it's unreasonable to request a cold start. I've done it for every used bike, fourwheeler and car that I've purchased. 99% of the time the seller has no problems with it. I didn't get the idea to do it until someone requested that I don't warm something up that I was selling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There can also be knocks, ticks, pings, etc that go away when the engine is warmed up. Carbed or EFI, you wanna know about those

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Newbie question here:

My battery is a "VARTA LF" and it says "Equivalent: YTX9-BS" on it.

My charger has different settings for "Wet", "Gel" and "AGM", but googling YTX9-BS says "AGM/Gel", which one is it? Does it even matter?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Just put in a fender delete with new turn signals, and now the turn signals don't work front or back and the clock and trip meter reset every time I turn on the bike. What does that mean oh god I'm not good at this stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You hosed up your wiring. How, exactly, I have no idea. Maybe a grounding problem?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Just put in a fender delete with new turn signals, and now the turn signals don't work front or back and the clock and trip meter reset every time I turn on the bike. What does that mean oh god I'm not good at this stuff

Sounds like you have a grounding issue. Are the new signals led and the fronts still stock?

Edit: beaten

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

You hosed up your wiring. How, exactly, I have no idea. Maybe a grounding problem?

I think the grounding wires were attached to the fender, now that thats gone I dunno what I should attach it to.

And yeah, front's still stock.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Seriously, what is this thing that came with my K&N air filter?

http://i.imgur.com/80mPO.jpg

It pops in and out easily. I guess it just limit airflow into the unit? Why?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I think the grounding wires were attached to the fender, now that thats gone I dunno what I should attach it to.

And yeah, front's still stock.

So you mean the ground wires aren't connected to anything at all now? Yep, that'd do it alright.

I don't know what bike you have or what the tail end looks like, but generally the frame is one big ground, so you should be able to attach them to that. Poke around with a multimeter set to continuity mode (attach one probe to the battery's negative terminal) until you find a connection -- you might have to scrape off some paint.

e: or better, find where the fender connected to the frame before you took it off, because that's the original circuit. Use one of the original mounting bolts and a couple of ring terminals:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Hey 2-stroke people

I got some questions about plugs and temps and CHTs and seizing.

Now the details will be different from my scooter to basically everything else but the principles are the same and I've got a longish day of riding coming up Saturday.

1. Does plug temperature (ex. NGK B6ES v. B7ES v. B8ES) have an effect on engine/cylinder head temp, or is it mostly a resistance-to-fouling measure? Common wisdom on the Vespa/Stella boards is to use a B7ES for more stop-and-go riding, and a B8ES for longer/faster rides.

I think I have a B7ES in right now, and the temps I see from my CHT are normally around 170-250F in city riding, with occasional runs bringing me to around 300F. A while ago I was WOT into a strong headwind and got to ~330F and climbing. I backed off. Which brings me to...

2. Is there a rule of thumb for Seizing Danger Zone temperature on an air-cooled 2-stroke? Again, common wisdom with Vespa/Stella people is ~350F on a cast top end and higher (400F?) for aluminum kits.

I feel like I have a decent understanding of this poo poo but I want to sanity check this with non-scooter people.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

zapateria posted:

Newbie question here:

My battery is a "VARTA LF" and it says "Equivalent: YTX9-BS" on it.

My charger has different settings for "Wet", "Gel" and "AGM", but googling YTX9-BS says "AGM/Gel", which one is it? Does it even matter?

This http://www.varta-automotive.com/index.php?id=77 says that Varta LF are AGM, so I guess pick that. Probably no big difference.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
This is something called a 'choke':

Apparently this is old technology that long since died on cars yet exists on obviously the shittier motobikes like my Bandit.

Anyway sometimes I have a devil of a time trying to get my POS going. The engine will die after a few turns of the engine. I try it again and there's a slight improvement, but it dies. This happens about 10 times over two minutes - incremental improvements followed by inevitable death. It'll eventially start though.

My question is: "Is the choke setting on the correct level for the bike starting?" I hear the term 'engine flooding' to do with chokes but I dont see how they connect.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In summer temps, even British ones, it should start ok without choke / enrichment circuit / fast idle. Might need some encouragement to hold idle, but still. How does it do without choke?

Maybe it just doesn't want to go riding with you?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mootmoot posted:

Slide the little lever all the way forward to start. Once it is started and revs start to climb push it back to where it is in the photo for riding.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Ola posted:

In summer temps, even British ones, it should start ok without choke / enrichment circuit / fast idle. Might need some encouragement to hold idle, but still. How does it do without choke?

Maybe it just doesn't want to go riding with you?

Without choke? You mean slide the thing all the other way? Like towards the triangle? IDK I've never done it. Ill report tomorrow when I give it a go.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
How have you never ridden a bike with a choke? That just boggles my loving mind.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh sorry I didn't realize you were asking on such a basic level. The other reply is much better.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

How have you never ridden a bike with a choke? That just boggles my loving mind.

This Bandit is an '07 and is the oldest and shittiest bike I have ridden in my entire life. I'm including when I passed my bike test for my licence. The loving thing has ABS which is just 'Fun Police' if you ask me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iwentdoodie posted:

I've ridden for eight years and never touched a choke, EFI isn't that new. The 2007 Bandit in his pic doesn't have a choke either, it's a fuel enrichment lever for the EFI.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have never ridden a horse and cart before, but I know how a feedbag works.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mootmoot posted:

This Bandit is an '07 and is the oldest and shittiest bike I have ridden in my entire life. I'm including when I passed my bike test for my licence. The loving thing has ABS which is just 'Fun Police' if you ask me.

Yeah, with abs you cant.....................skid the rear tire I guess?

Also, how did you wind up with a bike you so obviously dont like? Also, please post videos of when you do highway roll on races with econoboxes and somehow cant beat them despite being on the roll-on king of bikes. Also post pics when you dump it going in a straight line.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 14, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

mootmoot posted:

Apparently this is old technology that long since died on cars yet exists on obviously the shittier motobikes like my Bandit.

Anyway sometimes I have a devil of a time trying to get my POS going. The engine will die after a few turns of the engine. I try it again and there's a slight improvement, but it dies. This happens about 10 times over two minutes - incremental improvements followed by inevitable death. It'll eventially start though.

My question is: "Is the choke setting on the correct level for the bike starting?" I hear the term 'engine flooding' to do with chokes but I dont see how they connect.

RTFM, you dense person.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

highway roll on races with econoboxes and somehow cant beat them despite being on the roll-on king of bikes.

I have no idea what this means.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

The only bike I've ridden with a choke was the bike I rode in my MSF course. EFI was a requirement for any bike I bought, and all my buddies and coworkers with bikes all have newish/fancier bikes that are all EFI as well.

For that matter, I've never owned a carbureted car, much less one with a choke, either.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
ABS probably would have saved you from crashing that time duder.

He was making fun of that video of the Civic beating you one the highway.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mootmoot posted:

I have no idea what this means.

It means you suck and should take the bus.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Ola posted:

I have never ridden a horse and cart before, but I know how a feedbag works.

Valid and to make up for inadvertently defending a mootmoot post (oops) I'll point out that if you've operated a chainsaw or lawnmower or go-kart or pretty much any small engine on anything it probably had a choke that had to be futzed with to start

I'm assuming council estates still require you to mow the lawn

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

mootmoot posted:

you should ask these stupid questions questions in irc moot, sure we'll also mock you but it wont be on permanent record.

I would say you got lovely petrol somewhere, put some redex in the tank next fill up and see if it makes any difference, or as its a loaner take it back and ask for another bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mootmoot posted:

Anyway sometimes I have a devil of a time trying to get my POS going. The engine will die after a few turns of the engine. I try it again and there's a slight improvement, but it dies. This happens about 10 times over two minutes - incremental improvements followed by inevitable death.

It's trying to save your life, dude.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Also, how did you wind up with a bike you so obviously dont like?

I think this is his loaner while he gets his Daytona repaired, or something.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

echomadman posted:

you should ask these stupid questions questions in irc moot, sure we'll also mock you but it wont be on permanent record.

I would say you got lovely petrol somewhere, put some redex in the tank next fill up and see if it makes any difference, or as its a loaner take it back and ask for another bike.

Hey there's a CA IRC!? Details please!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Hey there's a CA IRC!? Details please!?

irc.synirc.net #bieks