Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was more careful this time and rented a warrior pawn who is a challenger first. The difference is night and day. This one actually does things. Like, anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I completely missed out on the Haunted Manse the first time through the game because I got impatient and rushed to the end. Now I'm in NG+ and struggling to figure out when they'll actually let me in.

I want my 150 locations achievement, dammit!

Assuming you've completed the prior quests in the line meeting the Duchess in the garden while you're wearing the silly hat and later sneaking into her room, it will activate as soon as you receive the quest from the Duke to go to the Greatwall. Walk out the front door of the Duke's castle and the Duchess's handmaiden will be outside to the right on the ground with the quest bubble above her head. Pretty sure you have to do this before you finish the Greatwall.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Besides the earlier complaints I made, basically the worst thing about Dragons Dogma is how many of the pawns are 2 foot tall demure 8 year old looking girls with huge breasts. It was really pretty disturbing the first time I saw it.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I've never seen those kinds of pawns yet. I guess I should be happy.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I was feeling pretty disappointed with sorceror today, all the spells seem like they're a slow and difficult charge with a payoff that is about half the damage I could have done with my assassin in that time. Plus bandits and dire wolves poo poo all over me and there's nothing I can do about it.

But then I met the drake. I was just planning to go over to the shadow fort to do an idol quest when that fucker attacked me. And of course, it coincided with a friggin army of hobgoblins crawling out of the woodwork to gently caress with me. I sent the pawns in and fell back. I dodge behind a tree to keep out of the flamebreath and goblin throwing weapons and start charging up a bolide. Pretty soon all the goblins are either blown to hell and the stragglers get flung into the sky by an army of pissed off ghost heads and popped.

Which leaves the drake, who has systematically murdered me on every character I've tried so far. I start to run, but I think no, gently caress you drake. gently caress you and your latin.

So while he is grabbing on my pawn and whispering sweet nothings into his ear, I charge up gicel, which when I tried it out on the golem by blue moon tower seemed intensely lovely, and in the past it has failed to kill a skeleton mage, but here for whatever reason it really jacked the dragon up and he went rolling around on the floor throwing a huge fit. Then I busted out my electric whip and went to town on his heart.

From there I just rinsed and repeated, dodging around between the trees and knocking the drake over with my gicel when he was grabbing someone or trying to fly off then electric whipping him. What was really cool was when the pawns got possessed I could take them and the drake down with one gicel.

When I finally took the drake down I just felt super jazzed, which is a feeling I've basically only got from Monster Hunter before. My dude is only level 30-something and I don't have sorceror maxed yet and previously I've not even been able to get a bar off the drake with another class yet so it was pretty rad.

I'm hoping though that sorceror gets a little better soon cause right now it is just ridiculous having my charge ruined by one bandit arrow and having no abilities that give me any breather room vs those stupid cutting wind bandits or dire wolves.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

My warrior pawn got rented a whole lot more than my sorcerer currently is, they're both ladies, but who knows how much that really has to do with anything. In any case I'm still getting enough rift crystals to buy the occasional potion or rent the odd higher level pawn.

Last night I was trying to find a decent strider or ranger for my group and I kept running into Guardian/Aquisitor over and over. People must just love their ranged, dual-wielding DPS class hanging out by their side and maybe picking up a rock or two. :psyduck:

I'm not sure that I've ever laughed in a way that someone would describe as "cackling"; that is, up until I started playing sorcerer and landed my first high Bolide spell on some big rear end monster in this game. Giant fireballs from the sky laying waste to some wolves and knocking that cyclops on his rear end was completely amazing and I just started laughing like a drat idiot when it happened. :shobon:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 15, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

neetz posted:

I hear this a lot and always assumed it was a joke; it's not possibly true, surely?

I always just assumed most people weren't very selective about hiring pawns and settled on the first few they saw.

Well, according to anecdotal evidence supplied by this thread it is. All I know is that my pawn is under 5' and comes back with a buttload of items. Despite what I said before, I didn't intend her to be lollibait. I was scrolling through body types and went "Cool, she's like my little sister" (who's 4' 8"). After reading the first couple of pages of this thread, I just assumed that that was the reason she was coming back with so many gifts.

On an unrelated note, I was heading back to Cassardis to pick up all those quests I missed, and decided to try to find a shortcut. I came to an area that overlooked the sea which held a lot of goblins, grape vines, and several treasure chests. After using my double-jump to descend from some high cliffs, I encountered what appeared to be (slightly weird stuff)a cyclops resting at the base of a waterfall while his harem of harpies bathed in the stream. I greeted them with death, thanks in part to forum user ratattack's pawn. Thanks, bro.

↓↓↓ :stonk: YOU'RE KILLING THEM! It's not their fault!

titties fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 15, 2012

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Besides the earlier complaints I made, basically the worst thing about Dragons Dogma is how many of the pawns are 2 foot tall demure 8 year old looking girls with huge breasts. It was really pretty disturbing the first time I saw it.

Whenever I see these I grab them and throw them off the nearest cliff.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm hoping though that sorceror gets a little better soon cause right now it is just ridiculous having my charge ruined by one bandit arrow and having no abilities that give me any breather room vs those stupid cutting wind bandits or dire wolves.

The cast times are always fairly long (though they can be mitigated with the Wyrmking's Ring if you hand in a forgery and Articulacy). Casting spells on non-boss agile creatures is a bit of a waste; nab the core skill Focused Bolt. Charging and releasing it lets rip six or so homing bolts that have considerable range. If your weapon has been enchanted the bolts will share that element too. It's very strong and tears a lot of mobs and bosses clean up, plus you can move around while charging it. You can also cast High Bolide if you see enemies in the distance and then run at them, watching them get annihilated by the meteors. Oh, you can enchant your own weapon too by clicking the left stick, which I didn't find out for a very long time.

The top end spells pack a hell of a punch, though. One shotting a Drake with High Gicel is a common occurrence.

titties posted:

Despite what I said before, I didn't intend her to be lollibait. I was scrolling through body types and went "Cool, she's like my little sister" (who's 4' 8").

It's cool, I didn't mean to imply it.

titties
May 10, 2012

neetz posted:

It's cool, I didn't mean to imply it.

Ha ha, I didn't think you were. But with goons being goons I figured I should say something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

neetz posted:

I hear this a lot and always assumed it was a joke; it's not possibly true, surely?

For what it's worth, my original point was that this thread is incredibly quick to blame someone's pawn not being popular on all the fetishes it apparently doesn't meet and use that as the only reason for why nobody is using it, when all three of my main pawns have been weight class LL males and only the latest has had any trouble getting hired.

Yes, if you have a practically naked female pawn she will get hired more than Freighter S. did because unfortunately a lot of people are that shallow, no, that does not mean the entire rest of the DD playerbase is all pedophiles or whatever goons want to assume they are because hey, Freighter S. was moderately popular in his own right and I think he's a pretty cool guy.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Best thing that happened in DD today: a griffin was galloping towards me and I just finished casting a wall of fire spell, caught the griffin right in the face and it screeched to a halt with its beak inches from my character's face. And I've only played for like half an hour today.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

For what it's worth, my original point was that this thread is incredibly quick to blame someone's pawn not being popular on all the fetishes it apparently doesn't meet and use that as the only reason for why nobody is using it, when all three of my main pawns have been weight class LL males and only the latest has had any trouble getting hired.

Yes, if you have a practically naked female pawn she will get hired more than Freighter S. did because unfortunately a lot of people are that shallow, no, that does not mean the entire rest of the DD playerbase is all pedophiles or whatever goons want to assume they are because hey, Freighter S. was moderately popular in his own right and I think he's a pretty cool guy.
All I'm saying is that every time I walk into the rift, the first random selection of pawns the game gives me is always tiny girl mages and sorcerers + maybe one other non-little girl non-mage or sorcerer to round out the selection. Always.

Obviously anyone who has played DD for a bit isn't taking one of those random first characters and instead using the search function, but they're still there, telling me that that's the kind of companion character most players are making.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 15, 2012

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I haven't had my pawn get hired in a long time. I had my first hiring today from another goon which resulted in nearly 100k rift crystals. I'll have to post up a screenshot once I dragon forge her new outfit. I'm beyond the point of practicality and am making my characters look good. :gay:

titties
May 10, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

All I'm saying is that every time I walk into the rift, the first random selection of pawns the game gives me is always tiny girl mages and sorcerers + maybe one other non-little girl non-mage or sorcerer to round out the selection. Always.

I usually only get one of these. Most are female characters, but they're usually not tiny. I wonder what determines what pawns will spawn in the rift by default.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The pawns I get by default in the rift are usually friends list pawns and maybe one or two other random pawns.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

titties posted:

I usually only get one of these. Most are female characters, but they're usually not tiny. I wonder what determines what pawns will spawn in the rift by default.

Ones you've added to your favorites list tend to have a higher probability of showing up randomly, since on my new character I'm getting a couple of the level 40-60 mages and sorcerers that I added on my first run. It also seems (conjecture here) to pick pawns of vocations you've used in the past, since I don't see many striders or rangers there but I know there are plenty around since I see quite a few standing around the pawn guild or roads, where the game truly does seem to pick them completely at random. Within a few levels of you, of course.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bakalakadaka posted:

The pawns I get by default in the rift are usually friends list pawns and maybe one or two other random pawns.
Well, I only have about two people on my friends list who play DD, one of them has a short but not maxed out short female sorcerer, I guess I see her every time.

edit: I do always hire a mage (my Arisen is a maxed out mage but I hate doing the support stuff myself), so there is that. So maybe it's not that 90% of pawns are little girls, but that 90% of mage pawns are?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 15, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Finally maxed Strider and decided to max Magic Archer next. Sweet Jesus, this is a fun loving class, my reticle is a circle of runes and also oh yeah apparently I can lock on to weak points and I start out with a skill that lets me rain down arrows but targeting enemies like I was using the boomerang in Wind Waker.

I also had to take back a castle from some goblins or something, but since I had been screwing around for a while I was around level 28 or so and only a level or two away from maxing Strider. I head in there and see two Cyclops and all my pawns start freaking the gently caress out, saying I need to take the ladder and that the fight was going to be too difficult to be worth it so I should just let the rest of the guys outside in for backup.

They were right, it was actually pretty difficult. Not the dozen or so goblins, or that were two cyclopses with helmets, or even that there were two ballistae in an unreachable location sniping periodically with exploding rounds. No, the hardest part was knocking the cyclops' helmets to kill them faster before I just killed them outright between me on their back hacking away and my main pawn stunlocking them with lightning (preventing them from reaching up and knocking it off). :black101:

Is there ever something that lets me travel around faster (even if its just increasing my running speed or something), or is using a ferrystone to go back to Gran Soren the only fast travel in the game? Also, even though I'm probably only just beginning and wouldn't have to worry about it for a while, in new game + do you keep your vocation levels or would I be starting fresh each time?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Is there ever something that lets me travel around faster (even if its just increasing my running speed or something), or is using a ferrystone to go back to Gran Soren the only fast travel in the game? Also, even though I'm probably only just beginning and wouldn't have to worry about it for a while, in new game + do you keep your vocation levels or would I be starting fresh each time?

In the course of the regular game: you'll find a portcrystal that you can carry and then drop wherever you feel like, giving you a second place of your choice to Ferrystone to. You can pick it up and move it around too, so your second location can change. In New Game+ the guy at the Black Cat sells those crystals so you can stick them as many places as you can afford

That's it though. Really, you should be able to hijack a gryphon to get around the countryside. :colbert:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

a kitten posted:

In the course of the regular game: you'll find a portcrystal that you can carry and then drop wherever you feel like, giving you a second place of your choice to Ferrystone to. You can pick it up and move it around too, so your second location can change. In New Game+ the guy at the Black Cat sells those crystals so you can stick them as many places as you can afford

That's it though. Really, you should be able to hijack a gryphon to get around the countryside. :colbert:

The last time I saw something flying that wasn't a harpy, it was when I was walking out of the now-degoblin'd stronghold I mentioned in that post.

I saw a pack of goblins.

I went to go kill the goblins.

The goblins were apparently chilling out with a dragon.

I did not survive.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

a kitten posted:

In New Game+ the guy at the Black Cat sells those crystals so you can stick them as many places as you can afford

Only up to ten though, found that out the hard way.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So... anything I need to know before I boot up my PS3 and play this biatch?!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I envy you people who are actually getting your pawns hired! The "fake" hiring you usually get is not giving me enough RC to afford the goofy hair dye I want from that dude who sells it. I want to be an assassin with bright pink hair someday, dammit! :argh:

Then again I also refuse to dress my pawn in anything skimpy, so maybe that's my problem. A pawn with the title "Idol" has to be a least a little classy.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
It doesn't really matter if you get your pawn rented. I have about 1.5 million rift crystals and its not like there is anything worthwhile to spend it on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Red Robin Hood posted:

So... anything I need to know before I boot up my PS3 and play this biatch?!
Grapple a Griffin, Slay a Cyclops, Climb a Cow, Pitch a Pig. In that order.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Multiple times.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Erm, I just started the Duke's quests, which opened up a lot more weapons at Caxton's... I then got the quest to give him the idol. I hand over my Golden Idol, rest at the inn, but his wares are the same. Did I screw up? Or do I have to wait longer?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Hatter106 posted:

Erm, I just started the Duke's quests, which opened up a lot more weapons at Caxton's... I then got the quest to give him the idol. I hand over my Golden Idol, rest at the inn, but his wares are the same. Did I screw up? Or do I have to wait longer?
Wait longer, just sleep two or three more times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hatter106 posted:

It takes several days, don't worry.

quote:

No, the hardest part was knocking the cyclops' helmets to kill them faster before I just killed them outright between me on their back hacking away and my main pawn stunlocking them with lightning (preventing them from reaching up and knocking it off).

This started to happen pretty regularly as the game went on for me. I'd scuttle around on their helmet and wait for them to take it off, and then wizards happened and that cyclops never got off its hands and knees weeping long enough to get the chance.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Well, I have to agree that most pawns seems to be small, demure girls with the biggest bosom available but I recently hired a pretty awesome looking mage named Peggy who got the weight slider increased and one hell of a set of thunder tighs. I've outleveled her by 4 or 5 levels but she's such a drat good support mage that I don't want to let her go.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Beat the game again with a Mystic Knight and it is pretty amazing how much easier everything was than it was with my Ranger.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Hatter106 posted:

I hope you made a forgery of it, because even the copy is good for a 30% discount and, if you really hate money/really like Fournival, you can gift it to him for a huge rep boost.

I ended up with Selene. :negative:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm using some crazy high level pawns from my friends list (thanks Steamshovel_Dan!) but I need to get some my own level because poo poo's been way too easy. Although I must say it is incredibly awesome when your level 100+ mage pawn completely annihilates whatever enemy you're fighting in one shot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm really starting to dig the music in this game. Especially the laid back stuff that adds to the ambience, like the chapel tune and the chill rear end sitar that plays in areas that become cleared of enemies. The epic fanfare stuff is okay too, but they did a great job with the stuff in the background, too.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I usually have an all-female team of pawns and my main together in order to make ogre fights easier and also for less hassle at the female bandits' fortress. Also, women can have a maxed out height slider and reach and still be low enough weight (if you don't mind looking like a skeleton) to be in a reasonable weight class while still having a pretty good reach advantage with melee weapons.

Does anyone else build their mains and pawns for optimized gameplay? I know that whenever I want to go ranged, I resize myself to be as small and quick as possible for better stamina and a smaller hitbox.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to reset the location of the love interest in post game? The Gran Soren Inn Keeper is all wuvvy dove on me and hanging out, charging me 500g a night to sleep at my own home. And generally making any inventory down time a ferry-stone spamming spectacular.

If I kill him, would he default back to the Inn at all?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lotish posted:

If you are going to do any one escort I suggest taking the trainer from the encampment (I never remember his name) to the Shadow Fort. You get a greatsword that consistently beats out every two handed weapon I've picked up since. Slap that on a warrior and make things dead.

This is what I just did this morning. The slog to the Shadow Fort was pretty frustrating since finding the route there was guesswork, but I did gain a bunch of levels on the way over. Then on the way home instead of running back around the world I went through the quarry which was a blast.

Now I'm at level 18, vocation level at 7 or 8 and contemplating if I should swap from Strider to Ranger before going back to clean up the rest of the quarry. And the sword sold for a nice 105 000 gold, paying for a full set of upgrades for myself and my pawn (a mage).

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I was in Tainted Mountain last night and there was a chest that I couldn't figure out how to reach. It's in the area by a cliff with a couple of pillars. I could get up on the pillar but couldn't figure out a way to get to the chest on the ledge. It was one of the good chests too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Arach posted:

Is there a way to reset the location of the love interest in post game? The Gran Soren Inn Keeper is all wuvvy dove on me and hanging out, charging me 500g a night to sleep at my own home. And generally making any inventory down time a ferry-stone spamming spectacular.

If I kill him, would he default back to the Inn at all?

I have no idea, but that's hilarious.

"Please, just go back to work.:( "
"Just a jape, my friend!:haw:"

Thanks for the tip on the soldier's escort to the Shadow Fort, I had seen a couple pawns with that sword, but I had no idea where it came from; now my Warrior is using that sucker and it's way better than anything else available to me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I just got done with Duchess in Distress.

I feel dirty. I'm sorry, Mercedes! :(

• Locked thread