Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
I think this has to be my favourite entry from Tom's Formspring:

quote:

quote:

What Religion are you?

I am not a religion.

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Man Whore posted:

EDIT-I remember seeing a portrait or painting like this before but hell if I can remember it or who painted it.

Reminds me of the Keeper of the Scrolls from Darkseed, which I think is itself a copy of another Geiger image.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mr.Radar posted:

Tom has started answering questions in his Formspring again, and he actually has a few answers for what the heck is going on with the current page (spoilered in case you don't want to know):

Man, that really makes me want to go through and look at all the pages with both Kat and Zimmy on them, just to imagine what it looked like to Zimmy.

EDIT: Wow, Zimmy really has had that problem with Kat from the beginning: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=189

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 14, 2012

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Electric Pope posted:

That was the current page when I started reading it. Caught up 1 page later, of course. The first friend I got into it ended up catching up during Fire Spike.

My mother started reading GC as this chapter was starting up. At this point she's on chapter 33 or so and is deliberately avoiding catching up any more quickly.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
So does that mean that during the Power Station chapter when Annie got caught in the ZIMMY ZONE she created the fake Kat? You'd think if Zimmy's wonked up subconcious created her she'd have looked more like the most recent page. Unless Zimmy seeing her this way is a new thing or she still looked like that to Zimmy but not Annie. Reality bending hallucinatiooooooooons :argh:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Robo Pope posted:

So does that mean that during the Power Station chapter when Annie got caught in the ZIMMY ZONE she created the fake Kat? You'd think if Zimmy's wonked up subconcious created her she'd have looked more like the most recent page. Unless Zimmy seeing her this way is a new thing or she still looked like that to Zimmy but not Annie. Reality bending hallucinatiooooooooons :argh:

The fake Kat during the power station 'alt world' section was created by Annie, not Zimmy. Zimmy instantly knew it was fake, even without Gamma's help, but didn't tell Annie. Annie only realized when Gamma dispelled Kat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Tom posted:

Formspring posted:

Please Please Please sell the latest page as a print

Yeah, I think I'd like to.

:neckbeard:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Looking pretty fierce there, Headpigeon.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Reminds me of the Keeper of the Scrolls from Darkseed, which I think is itself a copy of another Geiger image.

That was it! it was one of the pictures from darkseed! I'm not sure if it was that specific one though.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
In the past I was curious as to what Ketrak looked like, but kind of preferred that he was unseen since you never know when something will live up to what you've got in your imagination. Now that Tom has done this image of Kat, I really want to see Ketrak now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If Tom made a print of this latest page, it'd be awesome if it were a big fuckoff wallscroll of Kat's entire crazy Zimmy-brain body, including parts you can't see in this frame.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And update.

Quite makes me want to see a chapter about Gamma someday.

Can't help but notice that Zimmy didn't seem terribly shaken up by Kat the first time they met.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Given the update, maybe this aint so far off the mark:

Whitenoise Poster posted:

This page is amazing. But I feel it could use a little something.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Bongo Bill posted:

And update.

Quite makes me want to see a chapter about Gamma someday.

Can't help but notice that Zimmy didn't seem terribly shaken up by Kat the first time they met.

She doesn't have a headband, maybe that has something to do with it?

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Eh. Zimmy is kind of a dick to everyone, so she might have just been staying true to form.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm sure it's just the onions I've been cutting, but I can feel my eyes watering. Awww Gamma and Zimmy.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 15, 2012

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

ATP_Power posted:

She doesn't have a headband, maybe that has something to do with it?

I think it's because she's right next to Gamma in that panel, and that's negating Zimmyvision for a while (though Tom's formspring answer made it sound like while Gamma being there always *helps* Zimmy, it doesn't always turn Zimmyvision off).

Also, I reread Gunnerkrigg Court yesterday (a wonderful trap to fall into), and the structure of Dobranoc, Gamma really struck me for the first time. There's a lot more to it than I thought.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bongo Bill posted:

I have a feeling that Kat's Zimmyvision appearance has changed over time, perhaps gradually.

edit:

ATP_Power posted:

I wonder why Gamma took Kat's headband then. Did she just want it?

I think that's Gamma's way of saying that Kat doesn't need to dress girly just to remind people that she's a girl.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 15, 2012

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

I have a feeling that Kat's Zimmyvision appearance has changed over time, perhaps gradually.

True, plus Zimmyvision, like the more serious distortions, only happens "sometimes."

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
I'm thinking that this update meant more that Kat was imagining the whole event, playing into some fear about Annie getting sick or dying, more likely I'm dead wrong and the fade-out at the end was just signalling the end of the chapter.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Quotetype posted:

I'm thinking that this update meant more that Kat was imagining the whole event, playing into some fear about Annie getting sick or dying, more likely I'm dead wrong and the fade-out at the end was just signalling the end of the chapter.

I think it's possible that this was all happening in Kat's head, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was only imagining it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I give up. No more speculating. I have no idea what Monday might possibly bring at this point.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

The Walker posted:

I think it's possible that this was all happening in Kat's head, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was only imagining it.

It's all in Kat's head because SHE'S the one in the coma :lost:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So if Zimmy saw Kat as a terrifying monster... what's with the pidgeon?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

So if Zimmy saw Kat as a terrifying monster... what's with the pidgeon?

Different degree of Zimmyvision, maybe.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bongo Bill posted:

Different degree of Zimmyvision, maybe.

On some other forum someone speculated that Zimmy's perception of Kat got increasingly distorted the longer she was away from Gamma. That makes sense to me.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

On some other forum someone speculated that Zimmy's perception of Kat got increasingly distorted the longer she was away from Gamma. That makes sense to me.

Which means that, since the headpidgeon spoke what Kat was actually thinking, Zimmyvision might get closer to the truth the more powerful it gets.

I wonder if other people look really weird when viewed through full on Zimmyvision?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think it's ok for the early Zimmy stuff to not line up perfectly with what's happening now; that was a long-rear end time ago and the comic has evolved a lot since then. No need to go crazy in-depth to make sure everything was foreshadowed 7 years ago. Still, I love the idea that Kat has always looked like a horrible mechanocherub to Zimmy, she just doesn't care most of the time (probably because Gamma is around). It'd be great to see those pages redrawn in Zimmyvision.

Speaking of Gamma, good for her. Somebody needed to get rid of that thing (she wants it for herself (or for Zimmy)).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zenzirouj posted:

I think it's ok for the early Zimmy stuff to not line up perfectly with what's happening now; that was a long-rear end time ago and the comic has evolved a lot since then. No need to go crazy in-depth to make sure everything was foreshadowed 7 years ago.
You say this but:

Bongo Bill posted:

True, plus Zimmyvision, like the more serious distortions, only happens "sometimes."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bongo Bill posted:

Apart from the stop-and-go nature of her visions, I kind of get the feeling that Zimmy also sees stuff like this all the time. "Oh, Eglamore, you mean the twenty-foot tall feral rabbit?"

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
"You can't always run from what scares ya."

And Zimmy suddenly jumps towards the top of my list of favorite characters in Gunnerkrigg Court.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ATP_Power posted:

She may not have intended it, but I suspect Zimmy's last statement was just as applicable to Kat.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ATP_Power posted:

Kat's only wearing it because she worries about what other people are thinking of her, so that's Gamma's way of telling her she doesn't need it.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Heliotrope posted:

Kat's only wearing it because she worries about what other people are thinking of her, so that's Gamma's way of telling her she doesn't need it.

That makes much more sense than my crazy speculations, thanks!

Tea-san you rule for making this.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gamma is super nice, basically

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Saw this in the PYF Gifs thread and immediately thought of GC

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
City Face is already slimming down for his summer appearance. He's just such a great actor, so dedicated. :3:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

OriginalPseudonym posted:

City Face is already slimming down for his summer appearance. He's just such a great actor, so dedicated. :3:

He's gotta keep up his health and figure with all those lead roles he's been getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

So Amazon have cancelled my Gunnerkrigg Volume 2 order (unable to fulfill the order...), is there anyway to order that book without paying ridiculous markups?