Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

stormrider posted:

But in general you have two weeks to return a phone, right?

Also worth noting is the $35 "restocking fee" Vz charges you if you do indeed return/exchange a phone within the 14 day window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have an iPad 2 I got a few months ago, and it's Verizon. I have a prepaid 2GB/month plan that works really well for me.

Am I correct in assuming that this new "Share Everything" plan system won't impact prepaid iPad data customers?

If I'm correct, that would essentially make 2GB a month go from $20 to $70.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 15, 2012

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
You can keep any plans you have now, outside of unlimited data.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
According to the leaked Verizon Share Everything training document:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?exnczuw156wkpg7

It says that for all new customers, Share Everything will be the ONLY plan available. Does anyone know if that means new individual accounts as well? If so, that puts the minimum monthly plan at $90 for 1gb of data - and I don't know how even Verizon can spin that.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Tethering is a big topic now, and now i am curious.

the Razr comes with both wired and hotspot tethering options in the default gingerbread OS. Hotspot stops me and prompts me to sign up with VZW to use it, but the tethered option seems to work by default and i haven't been prompted to sign up or pay anything additional.

Is this a perk, or am i in for a surprise? I used it for a hour or so one day to get my laptop online after the power went out briefly.

Jaxpunk
May 1, 2003
You'll never understand, don't try.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

It says that for all new customers, Share Everything will be the ONLY plan available. Does anyone know if that means new individual accounts as well? If so, that puts the minimum monthly plan at $90 for 1gb of data - and I don't know how even Verizon can spin that.

It's exactly as it reads, welcome to the new pricing plans where as a individual you are getting screwed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon is apparently sending out text messages to Razr owners letting them know that 4.0 is imminent.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/15/verizon-sends-texts-to-droid-razr-owners-says-that-android-4-0-is-coming-soon/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

Verizon is apparently sending out text messages to Razr owners letting them know that 4.0 is imminent.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/15/verizon-sends-texts-to-droid-razr-owners-says-that-android-4-0-is-coming-soon/

Pretty much guarantees there will be a 5 month delay.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jaxpunk posted:

It's exactly as it reads, welcome to the new pricing plans where as a individual you are getting screwed.

Also people with Unlimited data that want a subsidized phone will not be required to move to the new setup, but you will be required to drop unlimited data for a capped data plan.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Also this slide deck mentions something that would make things a pain for people like me who have a share plan where one of the lines' bill gets expensed back to an employer.

Right now all usage related to one line is itemized on your bill for that particular line. If you have a tethering plan on a line, a data plan, or any data overages, it's all neatly and tidily charged to that line.

On the new plans data is billed on a shared basis and there's nothing itemized to the line. You can see the kilobytes used on each line but no dollar amount.

I guess every month your company will make you look at the proportion of data you use on the business line, prorate the shared data fee and any overages, and put that on the expense report. And now while one of the "perks" of paying a ton more under this plan is being able to tether, you're no longer able to directly allocate that cost to your company.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
It seems like cost-wise if you want to get upgrades and not get totally screwed, those with unlimited should either get on a 2GB/4GB or whatever plan now so they can actually stay on it later.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cozmosis posted:

It seems like cost-wise if you want to get upgrades and not get totally screwed, those with unlimited should either get on a 2GB/4GB or whatever plan now so they can actually stay on it later.

Those with unlimited can move to a 2gb plan in the future, you do not have to switch to the everything plan.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
Right now I have an early upgrade offer to switch to a 4g phone, keep my unlimited data and get $100 off the phone...but it expires on 6/28. I've been banking on the S3 coming out by then but with the "ship date" getting pushed back to 7/10 I kind of doubt that's going to happen. So I'm stuck with getting either the Galaxy Nexus (tales of signal and battery woes) or Razr Max (which has a screen that I'm not entirely in love with) for $100; or paying $200 to get the S3 on preorder by transferring a family upgrade. Any tips on what would be the most sensible course of action?

joeshmoetogo
Mar 20, 2006

Fiki posted:

Right now I have an early upgrade offer to switch to a 4g phone, keep my unlimited data and get $100 off the phone...but it expires on 6/28. I've been banking on the S3 coming out by then but with the "ship date" getting pushed back to 7/10 I kind of doubt that's going to happen. So I'm stuck with getting either the Galaxy Nexus (tales of signal and battery woes) or Razr Max (which has a screen that I'm not entirely in love with) for $100; or paying $200 to get the S3 on preorder by transferring a family upgrade. Any tips on what would be the most sensible course of action?

You should be able to pre-order the S3 without worrying about losing unlimited. Many in this thread have.

I'm still crossing my fingers we'll see the Incredible 4g LTE on the 21st... otherwise I'll pick something random up at Costco and swap it out whenever the Incredible is released.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
This is bizarre:

that Verizon leaked document posted:

CLEU (Corporate Liable End User) and ELEU (Employee Liable End User) discounts apply to Share Everything Monthly Account Access of $34.99 and higher. These discounts do not apply to the Share Everything Monthly Line Access.

The table on the first page labels the per-device charges as "monthly line access" and the data bucket as "monthly account access". Thus, it looks to me like they're basically reversing how discounts have historically worked: you get your employee discount on the data plan, but not on the per-device charges.

Edit: but to make things even more twisty, if you get a data-only plan for your seven iPads, then the per-device charge is labeled as "monthly line access" and data is "data". I now realize just how far they're willing to go, to make these plans incomprehensible (as well as obnoxious).

Weird Uncle Dave fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 15, 2012

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Is there a My Verizon widget for ICS?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

cuedotnet posted:

Is there a My Verizon widget for ICS?
Yes. When you install the My Verizon Mobile application, the widget comes with it. It displays data used/remaining.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

This is bizarre:

The table on the first page labels the per-device charges as "monthly line access" and the data bucket as "monthly account access". Thus, it looks to me like they're basically reversing how discounts have historically worked: you get your employee discount on the data plan, but not on the per-device charges.

Edit: but to make things even more twisty, if you get a data-only plan for your seven iPads, then the per-device charge is labeled as "monthly line access" and data is "data". I now realize just how far they're willing to go, to make these plans incomprehensible (as well as obnoxious).

So if I upgrade now will my employee discount remain the same until I switch over to the Share Everything Plan?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Ugh. So I guess I should just get the Razr Maxx now? I was going to wait for the Fighter/HD but between this poo poo and my Droid X being too old and too slow, I guess I might as well. Right now on our family share me, my brother, and my sister all have the $30 unlimited, and my parents don't have/don't want smartphones. So it would go from costing $90 for unlimited (although I think this is really 5 gigs, no?) to what, $100 for all 3 of us to share 10 gigs?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mighty Horse posted:

You can keep any plans you have now, outside of unlimited data.

That sounds right. People would be pissed off if they went to buy a new Verizon iPad to see that the cellular data costs more than doubled, and they were locked into a tow-year agreement, etceteras. Even with their awful network, AT&T would crush them through pricing. Or they would dump the prepaid iPad plans too and raise their costs accordingly!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I'm totally in love with my Galaxy Nexus. It's about as heavy as my Droid X and feels very good in my hand. I wanted a larger display on a phone, such as the note, I'm not unsatisfied in the least. The "cheap, plasticy" feel, in my opinion, is only in regards to the strip on the back that reveals the battery. Which for me isn't enough of an issue to really care. The screen is better than I thought + 4G + HD content; videos seem to come alive in a pleasantly unexpected way.

4G in my town is blazing. Seems to be between 14-20 down. My battery is about 30% after 4+ hours on a full charge, but I feel thats to be expected after 100% fuckery since unboxing. I tend to work 50-70 hours a week so 4G will really only see action when I'm at home or chilling out. Netflix will be reactivated very shortly ^_^.

Aside from the screen, the keyboard is my favorite feature. Its very responsive and auto correct seems to have received some love since gingerbread. If the iPhone keyboard is a 10, I'd give the galaxy nexus a 9-9.5

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

cuedotnet posted:

I'm totally in love with my Galaxy Nexus. It's about as heavy as my Droid X and feels very good in my hand. I wanted a larger display on a phone, such as the note, I'm not unsatisfied in the least. The "cheap, plasticy" feel, in my opinion, is only in regards to the strip on the back that reveals the battery. Which for me isn't enough of an issue to really care. The screen is better than I thought + 4G + HD content; videos seem to come alive in a pleasantly unexpected way.

4G in my town is blazing. Seems to be between 14-20 down. My battery is about 30% after 4+ hours on a full charge, but I feel thats to be expected after 100% fuckery since unboxing. I tend to work 50-70 hours a week so 4G will really only see action when I'm at home or chilling out. Netflix will be reactivated very shortly ^_^.

Aside from the screen, the keyboard is my favorite feature. Its very responsive and auto correct seems to have received some love since gingerbread. If the iPhone keyboard is a 10, I'd give the galaxy nexus a 9-9.5

Go sign up for Swiftkey 3 beta (Google it) and give that keyboard a whirl. Prepare for your mind to be blown. Or get Swype and prepare to be blown again, by a super model.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Swype makes me want to punch things.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

cuedotnet posted:

Swype makes me want to punch things.

Being with super models can be frustrating at times...

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

AppleCobbler posted:

Go sign up for Swiftkey 3 beta (Google it) and give that keyboard a whirl. Prepare for your mind to be blown. Or get Swype and prepare to be blown again, by a super model.

Oh man, I just signed up for the beta and this thing is awfully nice. Here I passed on getting Swiftkey when it was on sale a few months ago, but this beta version is great. I wonder when it'll go on sale again.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ugh. So I guess I should just get the Razr Maxx now? I was going to wait for the Fighter/HD but between this poo poo and my Droid X being too old and too slow, I guess I might as well. Right now on our family share me, my brother, and my sister all have the $30 unlimited, and my parents don't have/don't want smartphones. So it would go from costing $90 for unlimited (although I think this is really 5 gigs, no?) to what, $100 for all 3 of us to share 10 gigs?

Same boat, Im thinking im going razr maxx. I want to believe the guys with S3s saying they get maxx battery life, but I dont know if I can buy it. Plus those same guys dont totally bitch about the gnex, But its the only gripe on the gnex I have because I live on my phone. Well and quality control, but whatever.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Is there any way to optimize/limit data transfer to-from the galaxy nexus? Maybe a settings prompt I've missed? I'm content with just using airplane mode while at work. We have a strict no phone policy where I work so its not like I'm really going to be missing out on anything. More so curious. Even if it involves rooting, I'd be open to the idea...

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
So to clarify, the only way to keep my 4G unlimited data is to use my upgrade now? Can I use it after the 28th, and what about those who don't have an upgrade to use ,they are automatically put on shared data (or whatever usage-based package if it is an individual line)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

That sounds right. People would be pissed off if they went to buy a new Verizon iPad to see that the cellular data costs more than doubled, and they were locked into a tow-year agreement, etceteras. Even with their awful network, AT&T would crush them through pricing. Or they would dump the prepaid iPad plans too and raise their costs accordingly!

AT&T in general will be raising prices to match Verizon. They always match each other. Which is quite sad in terms of competition.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TenaciousTomato posted:

So to clarify, the only way to keep my 4G unlimited data is to use my upgrade now?
Correct. Or do nothing, but you're giving up your upgrade if you plan to keep unlimited 4G.

quote:

Can I use it after the 28th,
Sure you can, and you'll have to pick a new plan at that time.

quote:

and what about those who don't have an upgrade to use ,they are automatically put on shared data (or whatever usage-based package if it is an individual line)?
Not automatically, when they use their upgrade.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The only thing I still wonder about is, how are they going to handle alternate upgrades?

E.g. Say line A is a smartphone with unlimited data, and line B is a dumb phone. Currently you can use line B's upgrade to buy a subsidized smartphone and activate it on line A without changing line A's terms.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You do not have to switch to share everything plan after the 28th. You can just change your data to a tiered data plan.

bub
Apr 9, 2001
ffffffffffff

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The only thing I still wonder about is, how are they going to handle alternate upgrades?

E.g. Say line A is a smartphone with unlimited data, and line B is a dumb phone. Currently you can use line B's upgrade to buy a subsidized smartphone and activate it on line A without changing line A's terms.

this should work if you do it the "buddy upgrade" style instead of an actual alternate upgrade in the system ie. activating on the dumb phone first then swapping

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bub posted:

this should work if you do it the "buddy upgrade" style instead of an actual alternate upgrade in the system ie. activating on the dumb phone first then swapping

Unless I was lied to when I did this, that transfer of the phone voids the 1 year warranty. Signing up for insurance supposedly gives you back the warranty.

... This was just bullshit the rep told me to get me to buy the insurance, huh?

Edit: \/ \/ \/ Good to know, that is in fact what I did. Thanks.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 16, 2012

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
My understanding was it only invalidates it if the phone leaves the account it was first activated on.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Do you guys know if one can buy a prepaid phone (like from Amazon) and activate it on a normal line? I can't imagine there's anything different about them, unless Verizon is filtering ESNs or something. My parents need new dumbphones and I'd obviously rather pay $30 than the $120 Verizon is charging. I figure it must be too good to be true, somehow.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

vote_no posted:

Do you guys know if one can buy a prepaid phone (like from Amazon) and activate it on a normal line? I can't imagine there's anything different about them, unless Verizon is filtering ESNs or something. My parents need new dumbphones and I'd obviously rather pay $30 than the $120 Verizon is charging. I figure it must be too good to be true, somehow.

You can't. I believe the phone has to be on a pre-paid line for something like six months and then the account can be converted. Just buy one on Ebay or Craigslist and check the ESN before you pay.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I have a Droid 3. I don't have an upgrade for another year. It's a 3G phone and I have 3G Unlimited right now. If I buy a 4GLTE phone in the future unsubsidized, am I stuck with just 3G or do I get 4G as well without contract?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Which phone is going to have the higher aftermarket value once the Razr HD comes out? Sealed iPhone 4s or sealed SGS3? Any predictions? I'd really like to dump this loving Thunderbolt for a Razr Maxx, but if I can wait an extra month or two for the HD, I'll do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Panthrax posted:

Which phone is going to have the higher aftermarket value once the Razr HD comes out? Sealed iPhone 4s or sealed SGS3? Any predictions? I'd really like to dump this loving Thunderbolt for a Razr Maxx, but if I can wait an extra month or two for the HD, I'll do that.

The 4s will probably have the higher re-sell value.

• Locked thread