Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Scrotos posted:

So we have 2 openings in the Mordecai world I, gyro and CJL are members of. Some of you owners should join, it is a great world.
I'll do it as my test run for HBD if I get a comped season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Groucho Marxist posted:

I can ask the commish, but he tends not to like HBD newbies.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

Spots were filled this afternoon, sorry.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So I downloaded the finished all time great 25 man rosters that they created on operations sports for MLB: The Show, and I decided to do a fantasy draft season. I'm winning the first game of the season when a man rises from the bench and pinch hits against me...I throw 1 pitch and he hits a triple to drive in the winning run.

That man was

BIP ROBERTS

I must have this man on my team.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Is there an SAS league for What If Basketball? We did a season a few years ago and it was a lot of fun, but then everyone's interest kinda fizzled out towards the end. I'd be interested in trying that again if anyone else wants in.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Inside Outside posted:

Is there an SAS league for What If Basketball? We did a season a few years ago and it was a lot of fun, but then everyone's interest kinda fizzled out towards the end. I'd be interested in trying that again if anyone else wants in.

Create a thread and see if fills.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
I'd be more interested in WIS Basketball if the game weren't even more broken than Baseball is. At least with basic open league rules.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Made my first world series!

Bronx Snickerdoodles vs. Mr. Boombastic

After losing the first game of the playoffs my team has knocked out seven straight wins. All games will be played at Yankee Stadium (III), where my team has a record of 60-27 (64-27 counting playoffs). Do we both get three days of rest since we swept, or zero since we won in the same amount of games? Just wondering what the status of my Milacki is going to be.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
So Babe Ruth has those 3 seasons as a pitcher before he starts appearing as a hitter, are there other players who work similarly and/or is there an easy way to find such players in the draft center? I signed up for the championship thing and such players might be useful in the clones theme...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

foolish_fool posted:

So Babe Ruth has those 3 seasons as a pitcher before he starts appearing as a hitter, are there other players who work similarly and/or is there an easy way to find such players in the draft center? I signed up for the championship thing and such players might be useful in the clones theme...

Bob Caruthers is the other one of note. Joe Wood has some hitter seasons too but nothing very usable.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Bob Caruthers is the other one of note. Joe Wood has some hitter seasons too but nothing very usable.
Cheers. That certainly constrains options for that team somewhat.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
someone please use rick ankiel (this is the worst idea)

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Hey whatever man 1999 Rick Ankiel is like a staff ace

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Pick Six got cut down to 61-85 and is close to filling in case anyone is interested

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Pick Six got cut down to 61-85 and is close to filling in case anyone is interested

I signed up for this right after Cecil Fielder hit a walkoff homer to get me into the NLCS in the current Pick Six league. Best team ever.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

foolish_fool posted:

FWIW after building my team for this league I don't think heavy use of Pitcher Ruth is a particularly viable strategy.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

FWIW after building my team for this league I don't think heavy use of Pitcher Ruth is a particularly viable strategy.
I made a Ruth/King Kelly/Mike Morgan team for fun. The pitching and defense are way too bad for that league but the offense is absurd.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Yeah I expect there will be a few of the Ruth-heavy teams appear in the league, but I'm not heading in that direction myself. I went with 5 players (the star being Harold Baines and his 5 seasons of super cheap terrible performance) and am pretty happy with the result.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I went with three players and I probably could have stretched it down to two.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

My first rough build was three players and I need to tweak it but I'm not going with any more than that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Have any of you people ever done a successful Silver King team? I have no idea how many innings I need for a loving Silver King team.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Well, Silver King used to be a kickass strategy way back when I started. Back then, what you did was get a bunch of low IP guys to start, and then have Silver King come in for long relief, every single game. Im not sure with the updates to fatigue how well that will work anymore.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Have any of you people ever done a successful Silver King team?

I've only ever used El Dandy and La Parka.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

toadee posted:

Well, Silver King used to be a kickass strategy way back when I started. Back then, what you did was get a bunch of low IP guys to start, and then have Silver King come in for long relief, every single game. Im not sure with the updates to fatigue how well that will work anymore.

It won't, you basically have to start him for 80-90 games with a 120 pitch count and pull 1 to come anywhere close to his innings. I just have no idea how many more innings I need after him...

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Will it even let you start the same pitcher two consecutive games? I have no idea how that works. My plan was going to be pairing him with a few low-IP starters and having him as the tandem-B guy, rotating him into place each game. So Cliff Lee would throw 30 pitches and give way to Silver King, repeat the next day with a different starter, etc.

E: either that or grab a couple ~225 IP guys. Set King to Starter 1 and the other two at Starter 2A and 2B. That's pretty inefficient though. I honestly have no clue and I'm glad someone else asked.

Ivan Drago fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2012

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

jeffersonlives posted:

It won't, you basically have to start him for 80-90 games with a 120 pitch count and pull 1 to come anywhere close to his innings. I just have no idea how many more innings I need after him...

I wouldn't assume you will get the full 700 out of him. I would say count on 600. So... 700 or so? Depending on cap and AAA of course.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

toadee posted:

I wouldn't assume you will get the full 700 out of him. I would say count on 600. So... 700 or so? Depending on cap and AAA of course.

It's $110m with no AAA and a DH. My staff was going to be:

King - 703
Rest of good staff - 840
Mopup - 27

The problem is to get particularly good pitching with ~1550 good innings I essentially have to spend ~$60m. Maybe that's just the way to go in this league since everyone is facing a 0.88 WHIP/0.09 HR/9 guy most of the time and thus really the only way to succeed is with OBP cookies.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

My plan was going to be pairing him with a few low-IP starters and having him as the tandem-B guy, rotating him into place each game. So Cliff Lee would throw 30 pitches and give way to Silver King, repeat the next day with a different starter, etc.

You can't do this in SLB like you can in HBD. The next day's starter(s) *must* be set before they start and are otherwise uneditable. You must have a Tandem A and B set together before their start, you can't set one guy to Tandem A and then rotate in a Tandem B on the day he's set to start.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

jeffersonlives posted:

Have any of you people ever done a successful Silver King team? I have no idea how many innings I need for a loving Silver King team.

I did a Silver King team in two man band and made the playoffs. It is possible to have the same pitcher start two consecutive games, as demonstrated in the 700 IP league we just did. I got 1886 Matt Kilroy to 719 IP in 104 GS (of 1446 team IP), where his real life stats were 68 GS and 721 IP. I drafted about 1500 IP.

I did an 1/2a/2b rotation while starting 1 on back-to-back days, so more like a 1/1/2a/1/1/2b. A decent amount of work, but was fun. (If I had set pitch counts more strictly earlier in the season I might have done better in the number of starts at 100 stamina contest.)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

How often were you starting King and Kilroy below the high-90s to get them that high?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

jeffersonlives posted:

How often were you starting King and Kilroy below the high-90s to get them that high?

King I almost never started less than 100 other than an occasional back to back, and I don't remember how many IP I got out of him. He did win the Cy Young in the league tho.

Kilroy was throwing CG when he started at 85 on the second game of back to backs. It was amazing.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

AlleyViper posted:

I've only ever used El Dandy and La Parka.

If he wins 12 more games he'll be upgraded to Golden King.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
King will throw 81 games at 100% easily. My goal is to have a second real starter at Starter 2A and then a platoon of those 100-150IP cookies (with 7+IP/G) rotating through Starter 2B and in relief. King + 800IP of other good pitching seems like heaps (and by heaps I mean the right amount).

I got 110 starts and 700IP out of a Bill Hutchinson in the abovementioned 700IP theme league but that is a terrible idea (something like 60 of those starts were below 90% fatigue) and I think I mainly won lots of games based on offence/bullpen (in particular I picked the cheapest 700IP guy I could get with this in mind... and then I got rolled in the first round of the playoffs :S).

You make a guy throw consecutive games by taking everyone else out of the rotation - basically before the am game every day I would remove the other starter, Hutch would throw the am game then be assigned as starter for pm, after the am game the other starter goes back in the rotation and thus throws pm2.

And if you want to make people throw consecutive games and not be super fatigued it needs to be at the end of the season when they are below their target IP.

As an aside, I got my clones team down to 3 players (after messing with the spreadsheet and finding a hitter that can be 14 position players on his own) and it seems pretty ok. In some sense I expect a lot of the teams to end up pretty similar. Now its just the regressive/progressive to go.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The thing with the clones theme is that there's pretty much no reason to use more than one pitcher. There's at least five or six viable choices on who that pitcher is (it's more or less the usual suspects so I don't think we need to talk around it too much), but I don't think you need to go searching for extra guys.

In terms of the hitting side, there are a few different ways to make that go, although there are three super-obvious guys that I expect will be on most of the top players' rosters in the same way that most of the top guys used either Eddie Collins or Tris Speaker for that one player twist theme last year. I wish King Kelly had some decent infield defense seasons because he'd be perfect, but alas.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
How does defence work for players that never played that position?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

foolish_fool posted:

That depends. A lot.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
Hmmm. Right. I guess noone is going to have perfect defensive coverage everywhere and if the offence/pitching it good enough a few holes won't be the end of the world.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Or you could just build a team like I did with nobody playing out of position :cool:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Or you could just build a team like I did with nobody playing out of position :cool:

What fun is that?

Now I'm insanely curious as to how you got eight positions covered with two guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

foolish_fool posted:

Art just awoke in a sweat and doesn't know why.

• Locked thread