Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

CRANKWHORE posted:

This is an old one, and based off a very bleary grade school memory.

An ibm/pc game featuring cats. You played as a cat and wandered around a neighborhood, on rooftops and into buildings. Similar to Adventure for Atari 2600 (with no vertical scrolling between screens). It was loaded on my school's computers circa 1988, no idea how old it was then (Though considering it was the Florida public school system I'll bet it was not cutting edge technology)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-booter/alley-cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

CRANKWHORE posted:

This is an old one, and based off a very bleary grade school memory.

An ibm/pc game featuring cats. You played as a cat and wandered around a neighborhood, on rooftops and into buildings. Similar to Adventure for Atari 2600 (with no vertical scrolling between screens). It was loaded on my school's computers circa 1988, no idea how old it was then (Though considering it was the Florida public school system I'll bet it was not cutting edge technology)
Alleycat, the game is awesome. They apparently made another one, and I know there's an modern iOS clone of the game.

e;fb :argh:
e2: how did my browser not load that last post

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Bingo. I have no idea how I never found it in the Mobygames search.

It actually looks better than I remember.
Uh, yeah, wow, and here I thought Limbo had been the first game to be a side-scrolling title to brilliantly use silhouettes. Now it makes me wonder if even Blade Warrior was the first game to do something so simple and beautiful. Certainly nothing of that caliber would have been possible before the Amiga, I do not think.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

DiscoJ posted:

If the controllers looked like guns, it's 'Gunmen Wars'
Much appreciated. A friend and I used to play it at a local arcade, but arcades don't seem to be a thing these days.
:saddowns:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

There was some old PC game starring an astronaut, I think his spacesuit was yellow.

The first level consisted of him flying through a tunnel in a space..chair (the kind real astonauts use).
The second level had him walking on foot with a gun, shooting some humanoind things (I think they were grey/green). There were a bunch of platforms that were too high to jump to, and the astronaut had some sort of upward firing grappling hook that refused to attach to any of them, except one on the far side of the level. On the platform above that one there was a alien egg which hatched the moment I got close, spawning som pterodactyl-like monster that instantly killed me.

I think there was a close-up cutscene of the spacesuit tearing bloodily when you died.

King Zog
Apr 9, 2009
There's one game and one fairly popular addon for Half Life 1 I can't remember the name of.

I can't remember much of the game, but I believe it was released before 2000. I remember it featuring graphics not unlike Fallout 1, although a bit more cartoony and a UI similiar to the modern Dragon Age Origins, especially with the top left portraits of a character(maybe characters?) with a golden circle around it. I can't even remember the gameplay, but something tells me that it was a fantasy RPG-ish game where you controlled some kind of giant who beat up people.

I remember the mod for Half Life better. It was a zombie mod,multiplayer, and you had several characters you could play as such as a mime with a beret. The maps were overrun with zombies, but you had objectives on some of the maps such as an escape or plant a bomb. It featured a levelling-up system with the weapons(or some kind of money gain), in which you were able to make your weapons do more damage and eventually being able to dual wield shotguns and such. One map I remember clearly was a small sized mall formed as a triangle. There was no way of moving around properly and the whole place was packed with zombies, except for the small safe zone you spawned in and could resupply in.

I also remember that, upon death, you would come back as a zombie and a teammate would have to kill you so that you could be human again.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Right, I don't hold out much hope, but... back in the mid-90s there was an anti-virus package called ThunderByte SWAT. The AV software we had at the time was fine and we never needed Thunderbyte, but it came with a really cool DOS game that played a bit like Qix.

You controlled an anti-virus defender and had to clear sections of a computer by tracing squares around them with your character. Certain sections had special abilities - entering the spinning hard drive would fling you to a random part of the maze, and you had to dodge viruses during the game. Also, there were bonus levels where you had to answer questions about computer viruses for bonus lives/points. Does anyone remember this game, or know where I can find it?

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 15, 2012

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

King Zog posted:

I remember the mod for Half Life better

Brainbread.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I remember a shareware game where you were a kid who had to pick up (I think letters) while playing a platformer. One level was a haunted house. It was educational and I played it at school circa 1994, but the graphics looked dated even for then. I remember I had Gizmos and Gadgets around the same time, which had much better graphics.

There was also a different game, a top-down RPG with graphics kind of like the old Gold Box games, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of those. It had character generation and your starting characters died really easily, but you could hire mercenaries. I think one mercenary looked like either a chick or a dude with long hair and had a spell called Dragon's Breath that absolutely wrecked everything. Also, I remember if you got poisoned then rested in an Inn, you died.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I remember a shareware game where you were a kid who had to pick up (I think letters) while playing a platformer. One level was a haunted house. It was educational and I played it at school circa 1994, but the graphics looked dated even for then. I remember I had Gizmos and Gadgets around the same time, which had much better graphics.

Is this Word Rescue?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Something that has been bothering me for a while. Genesis game set in prehistoric time. You're a caveman that has to collect other cavemen. It's a 2d sidescrolling puzzle game similar to Lost Vikings or something. You can use cavemen to act as human towers to reach tall heights.

I've gone through majority of the Genesis library on Mobygames but it has eluded me. I know I didn't make it up but maybe I'm misremembering the setting. The graphics were pretty crude.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

al-azad posted:

Something that has been bothering me for a while. Genesis game set in prehistoric time. You're a caveman that has to collect other cavemen. It's a 2d sidescrolling puzzle game similar to Lost Vikings or something. You can use cavemen to act as human towers to reach tall heights.

I've gone through majority of the Genesis library on Mobygames but it has eluded me. I know I didn't make it up but maybe I'm misremembering the setting. The graphics were pretty crude.

I think you're talking about The Humans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeUonNq_-KY

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

There was also a different game, a top-down RPG with graphics kind of like the old Gold Box games, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of those. It had character generation and your starting characters died really easily, but you could hire mercenaries. I think one mercenary looked like either a chick or a dude with long hair and had a spell called Dragon's Breath that absolutely wrecked everything. Also, I remember if you got poisoned then rested in an Inn, you died.
Dragon's Breath is a Quest for Glory I drink, though the rest doesn't really match your description.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Juc66 posted:

I think you're talking about The Humans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeUonNq_-KY

I don't know how I missed this with the generic name. This video brings up terrible memories.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Never played them but maybe The Magic Candle series? This could be a ton of different games; the more descriptive the better.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Mine is an an oldschool platformer on PC in the likes of jazz jackrabbit and bio menace. The character could pick up powerups. One of the powerups was a cup or a skull or a cup in the shape of a skull that would flip the level upside down. there were many bosses. It was on DOS I believe. No one i've asked remembers it. I think it was similar to Duke Nukem 2 the most now that I think of it actually.

One level was a cave I believe and another was some kind of haunted forest or cemetary I think.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Odddzy posted:

Mine is an an oldschool platformer on PC in the likes of jazz jackrabbit and bio menace. The character could pick up powerups. One of the powerups was a cup or a skull or a cup in the shape of a skull that would flip the level upside down. there were many bosses. It was on DOS I believe. No one i've asked remembers it. I think it was similar to Duke Nukem 2 the most now that I think of it actually.

One level was a cave I believe and another was some kind of haunted forest or cemetary I think.
This has to be Halloween Harry, though the game name was changed to something entirely different years later, I seem to recall hearing.

Edit: "Alien Carnage" apparently, for whatever reason. I remember LOVING Halloween Harry, but I would never have given a game called something as dumb as "Alien Carnage" a second look. And since this is still 1993 and we are still getting our games based off vague descriptions on a BBS, that is important.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Quarex posted:

This has to be Halloween Harry, though the game name was changed to something entirely different years later, I seem to recall hearing.

Edit: "Alien Carnage" apparently, for whatever reason. I remember LOVING Halloween Harry, but I would never have given a game called something as dumb as "Alien Carnage" a second look. And since this is still 1993 and we are still getting our games based off vague descriptions on a BBS, that is important.

it looks like alien carnage a little bit graphically but it's not that game. I still remember playing it a lot (Alien Carnage I mean).

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Odddzy posted:

it looks like alien carnage a little bit graphically but it's not that game. I still remember playing it a lot (Alien Carnage I mean).

Try looking at Monster Bash, Xargon, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, or maybe Jill of the Jungle.

I've got two games im trying to remember. Both on pc around, released sometime between 1994-2000.

One is a sidescrolling platformer, I think there were multiple characters you could choose from, one was a barbarian dude with a sword. The first level was a dark forest area. The most notable thing I can remember about this game was on a higher difficulty setting, the game would become auto scrolling.

The other is an adventure game, I don't really remember too much from this one. It was a point and click interface. I think whenever you left a location, you'd get put onto a map screen of the world to choose where you wanted to go. I remember one of the locations being a small cave that you'd enter from the left hand side of the screen, there was a skeleton inside, and a shiny object on the right, past the skeleton.

Im not sure if this is even from the same game, but I remember a part where you're navigating through like a labyrinth, but it has a very regal design, and the overall color scheme was bright. During this, there's like a trial going on and the whole thing was timed.

I've played through King's Quest 1, most of 2, 3-7, and Quest for Glory 1 and 2. So im mostly positive its none of those.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Try looking at Monster Bash, Xargon, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, or maybe Jill of the Jungle.

None of those either. I passe Monster bash, Jill of the jungle and cosmo (the first episoed of 'em at least), I'm positive it isn't an apogee game but it does look like them a bit. I think you can have multiple weapons in the game (straight upgrades perhaps? One of them is a pickaxe that spins straight ahead when you shoot it I believe.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

The other is an adventure game, I don't really remember too much from this one. It was a point and click interface. I think whenever you left a location, you'd get put onto a map screen of the world to choose where you wanted to go. I remember one of the locations being a small cave that you'd enter from the left hand side of the screen, there was a skeleton inside, and a shiny object on the right, past the skeleton.

Im not sure if this is even from the same game, but I remember a part where you're navigating through like a labyrinth, but it has a very regal design, and the overall color scheme was bright. During this, there's like a trial going on and the whole thing was timed.

I've played through King's Quest 1, most of 2, 3-7, and Quest for Glory 1 and 2. So im mostly positive its none of those.

Maybe you're thinking of Legends of Kyrandia? It's point and click, and has a notoriously horrible cave level that made the babel fish puzzle look like child's play.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 16, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/wrath-of-the-gods

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

The map was fairly different from that. I dont think any of the locations were named, or had a picture of them like that, instead I think they were marked with a small icon. The color scheme was also brighter, lots of bright green for land and blue for water.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Point-and-click adventure game, began with a kid getting a message on his computer to come to a museum in the middle of the night. He meets a robot there who takes him around the museum where he has to correct museum exhibits after they came to life and didn't know what to do or somesuch nonsense. Like there was one exhibit of the Wright brothers' glider and you had to help them build the engine and show them how to shape the wings because they couldn't figure it out or something.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

This is correct. It looks way different than I remembered. I can't believe it's still actually for sale.

duckfarts posted:

Dragon's Breath is a Quest for Glory I drink, though the rest doesn't really match your description.

Yeah, it's not Quest for Glory I, I know that game well.

The Joe Man posted:

Never played them but maybe The Magic Candle series? This could be a ton of different games; the more descriptive the better.

I'm looking at screenshots and I'm pretty sure it's not this series. The graphics were a little better than the old Gold Box games and I remember the portraits of your party members showed up when walking around town, not just their names. It was sort of an open world game where you could go to different towns and get quests and possibly go to the wrong dungeon and get completely destroyed, not linear at all. I also played it around 1994-1995. I'm pretty sure I actually only had a shareware or demo version that I downloaded from Download.com.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Got two weird ones...again.

One was a game where you build floating ship-like islands that battle each other. You could put spikes on them and cannons, think there were other weapons too. I got a demo of this in a demo CD pack. You had catapults too.

This guy is looking for the same game: http://ask.metafilter.com/105126/Name-these-strange-older-PC-games

And another: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110326051932AAV4WfN

Edit: I missed the answer on the first link :downs: Stratosphere

Another was a game where you start out on a space station, and you were supposed to be a captain of a ship or something. There was a shop that sold weapons and I think you could recruit crew mates. I could never figure out how to actually start a mission. I think this came from the same, or another demo pack. I remember it looking kinda cartoony.

Edit: Command Adventures: Starship! Whelp...ignore this post.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 16, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Got two weird ones...again.

One was a game where you build floating ship-like islands that battle each other. You could put spikes on them and cannons, think there were other weapons too. I got a demo of this in a demo CD pack. You had catapults too.

This guy is looking for the same game: http://ask.metafilter.com/105126/Name-these-strange-older-PC-games

And another: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110326051932AAV4WfN

Edit: I missed the answer on the first link :downs: Stratosphere

Another was a game where you start out on a space station, and you were supposed to be a captain of a ship or something. There was a shop that sold weapons and I think you could recruit crew mates. I could never figure out how to actually start a mission. I think this came from the same, or another demo pack. I remember it looking kinda cartoony.

I may still have the disks for these, but each one has a ton of games on them.

The second could be a number of spiritually similar games. Starflight, Star Command, Star Control, or Star Control 2, perhaps?

E: nevermind, saw your E:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

One is a sidescrolling platformer, I think there were multiple characters you could choose from, one was a barbarian dude with a sword. The first level was a dark forest area. The most notable thing I can remember about this game was on a higher difficulty setting, the game would become auto scrolling.

This is almost certainly Realms of Chaos, one of the Apogee platformers.

- start in a dark forest, proceed through a dungeon to a palace
- two characters, barbarian and mage, which you switch between at will
- autoscrolls on the highest difficulty
- slaughter hundreds of cat-people

Quarex posted:

It was changed because people kept thinking that Halloween Harry was a short one-off holiday joke game like Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare, rather than a full-length platformer.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

thehumandignity posted:

Point-and-click adventure game, began with a kid getting a message on his computer to come to a museum in the middle of the night. He meets a robot there who takes him around the museum where he has to correct museum exhibits after they came to life and didn't know what to do or somesuch nonsense. Like there was one exhibit of the Wright brothers' glider and you had to help them build the engine and show them how to shape the wings because they couldn't figure it out or something.

Museum Madness.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Museum Madness.

Yussss thank you.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

This is almost certainly Realms of Chaos, one of the Apogee platformers.

- start in a dark forest, proceed through a dungeon to a palace
- two characters, barbarian and mage, which you switch between at will
- autoscrolls on the highest difficulty
- slaughter hundreds of cat-people

Doesnt seem like it, I remember the game having a much darker color scheme, and less cheesy sounds.

e:looks like it is after watching more of it on youtube. Thanks.

Kamer Kamer Cola fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 16, 2012

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I'm looking for a shareware game, late 90's perhaps. It was a gliding game set on the moon, you all lined up at the start line and saw how far you could go against AI. I think I got it on the cover of a PC Gamer CD (UK).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This came to me as I tried to sleep which means it's probably made up but here goes:

Arcade game I remember seeing (but not playing) in a restaurant circa 1999 or so. It was a 2D side-scrolling beat 'em up. The main character was something stereotypically 90s like a black-kid-on-a-skateboard but I definitely remember hoverboards or maybe flying bicycles playing a role. It had a really "punk" style with mohawk enemies in skinny jeans, punkish music, and I think the first boss threw CDs at you.

I know this was real in some form but the details are fuzzy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Best bet is Two Crude Dudes/Crude Buster. Probably not right, but maybe we can narrow it down.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Definitely not that. You could move vertically like in a typical brawler and the levels (in the demo at least) took place in a normal looking city. One of the levels was a scrolling area kind of like the sewer level in TMNT but it took place on a highway and I know this is where your flying vehicle came in to play. I recall the sprites having large, distorted heads like they were bobble figures. It was a very distinct art style and I could identify it immediately if I saw it.

Is there a database for arcade games that's as robust as mobygames? They're pretty much console and PC stuff.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

al-azad posted:

This came to me as I tried to sleep which means it's probably made up but here goes:

Arcade game I remember seeing (but not playing) in a restaurant circa 1999 or so. It was a 2D side-scrolling beat 'em up. The main character was something stereotypically 90s like a black-kid-on-a-skateboard but I definitely remember hoverboards or maybe flying bicycles playing a role. It had a really "punk" style with mohawk enemies in skinny jeans, punkish music, and I think the first boss threw CDs at you.

I know this was real in some form but the details are fuzzy.

It's not B Rap Boys, is it? That has big-headed characters, vehicle stages (no hoverboards, though), and the playable characters include a black kid wearing rollerblades and a Hispanic-looking kid who rides a skateboard. Doesn't really fit most of your other criteria though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 18, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

It's not B Rap Boys, is it? That has big-headed characters, vehicle stages (no hoverboards, though), and the playable characters include a black kid wearing rollerblades and a Hispanic-looking kid who rides a skateboard. Doesn't really fit most of your other criteria though.

Nice, it was actually DJ Boy. I recognize the punk-rock boss who spews fire and the psuedo-realistic sprites. I think I played B Rap Boys at some point so the two styles kind of merged together.

HKBGUTT
May 7, 2009

I remember a C64 game where you played a character on some sort of skateboard and the screen was scrolling to the right. The perspective was sort of like in games like double dragon and the style was somewhat futuristic.

Bit of a vague description but I have not seen it for atleast 20 years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HKBGUTT posted:

I remember a C64 game where you played a character on some sort of skateboard and the screen was scrolling to the right. The perspective was sort of like in games like double dragon and the style was somewhat futuristic.

Bit of a vague description but I have not seen it for atleast 20 years.

Could be the Back to the Future 2 game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6QL9DEolE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

al-azad posted:

Is there a database for arcade games that's as robust as mobygames? They're pretty much console and PC stuff.

Give http://www.arcade-museum.com/ a run.