Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Verman posted:

Not just that park but any, some sort of tripod even if its just a gorilla pod and a circular polarizer make things much better.

Definitely will have a tripod. I'm renting a car for 5 weeks so its just going in the back. Also have a CP but need to get a bigger one. I'm going to NYC before all this so I'm doing a fair bit of shopping at B&H

Not sure whether I'd take it out for a full day hike though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Fists Up posted:

Definitely will have a tripod. I'm renting a car for 5 weeks so its just going in the back. Also have a CP but need to get a bigger one. I'm going to NYC before all this so I'm doing a fair bit of shopping at B&H

Not sure whether I'd take it out for a full day hike though.

I'd recommend the gorilla pod then, small and light, always giving you a steadier hand. propping your camera on rocks and ledges gets old fast after a few photos.

also, don't forget spare batteries. sterlingtek.com is all you need to know

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Colour theory time.

When matching colours to be complementary, should i be using a RGB (light) or a RBY (ink) palette?

I'm thinking ink because it's more visual on a static surface, but red looks so sexy with cyan, I'm thinking RGB looks awesome.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Cyberbob posted:

Colour theory time.

When matching colours to be complementary, should i be using a RGB (light) or a RBY (ink) palette?

I'm thinking ink because it's more visual on a static surface, but red looks so sexy with cyan, I'm thinking RGB looks awesome.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/ - It's the best tool for deciding colors

As for RGB vs RBY, there's no hard rule and you should just wse whatever you feel is best. There's a lot more than just hue that makes up a color; your control over the lightness and saturation are just as important.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Musket posted:

The only solution is to rent a boomtruck with a bucket. Lower bucket to street level at about 40 feet, then push your art button.

I would advise you to not go over 30mph with a bucket truck and the boom lowered in that manner.

Or you could NOT be a prissy little princess. When they filmed Le Mans in 1970 the close up footage of the cars doing 200+ was filmed during the race with a camera car. The only way they could get a camera car onto the track was to enter it as a competitor.

It came 9th.

(although we're all prissy little princesses compared to Steve McQueen)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Has anyone tried a cheapy in-car suction mount?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Window-Suction-CUP-Mount-Holder-Tripod-Stand-For-Camera-DV-GPS-Webcam-Y080-/160811896917

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Window-Suction-Camera-Mount-Tripod-Holder-/130705372639

I thought about having a play with recording a journey with a P&S for fun and I don't mind spending a couple of quid to do it.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Cyberbob posted:

Colour theory time.

The decision between using RGB or CMYK is mainly for what medium the finished result will end up on (ie web or print). Pretty sure with photography you will always want to use RGB as a photo is recorded light.

As for the choices of colours you make it's up to you. You can get the same colours from each profile they just mix differently.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Fists Up posted:

Got any tips for shooting those parks? Im there in a month!

I can't think of too much. As mentioned, the really accessible locations are going to be well pretty crowded this time of year and photographed to death as well so getting off the beaten path a little bit can be really nice. My tripod is a big Monfrotto that is incredibly heavy and therefore rarely goes far from the car. I'm not sure a Gorillapod would do a lot for you given the terrain (no place to set it or mount it). Polarizing filter is a definite must have. ND filter would be nice for waterfalls in Yosemite (although they might be pretty dry by then) since you're going to have the tripod. There's a ton of dust and it can get windy so try to plan ahead what lens you want mounted so you're not standing in a dust storm switching lenses. Bring a lens pen so you can clean your glass and filters each night.

Buy one of the $80 National Parks annual passes. I believe all those parks are $25 entry fee parks and it will pay for itself and more.

Bryce Canyon has a long road that goes up to various stops along the way. These are worth seeing, but the best stuff is at the main part early on the everyone goes to. There are several easy hikes that take you down into the hoodoos and are well worth doing.

Zion is a bit mind blowing, honestly. #1 tip would be to hit up the less accessed portions of the park, Kolob Canyon and Kolob Terrace road. Both are awesome and easily missed since they're a bit out of the way. The main part of the park is beautiful as well, but crowded.

Grand Canyon is great, but there are only so many viewpoints so it got old relatively quick. We hiked a ways down into the canyon, but I didn't find the scenery that compelling compared to the rim.

Yosemite has a ton of hikes outside the main valley portion and they can get you to some cool scenery. We went over the pass and out of the park down to Mono Lake. I didn't get to shoot much, but it is definitely worth checking out.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Anyone know of a free app/webpage that'll tell you precisely what direction sun/moon rise/set will be located?

I know of TPE etc, but it's a little expensive for my tastes.

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/the-photographers-ephemeris/id366195670?mt=8

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cyberbob posted:

Anyone know of a free app/webpage that'll tell you precisely what direction sun/moon rise/set will be located?

You do know there's a free desktop version of TPE, right?

http://photoephemeris.com/tpe-desktop-release-notes

unless you're specifically looking for a mobile solution :o:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cyberbob posted:

There's also stellarium which is pretty awesome and free.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
TPE desktop is fricking perfect for what I was after.

I have the Night Sky app for real time planet/star plotting, I was just after a "when can I have a Manhattanhenge in my own city" moment, and TPE gave me exactly that.

November 1, apparently.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Captain Postal posted:

Or you could NOT be a prissy little princess. When they filmed Le Mans in 1970 the close up footage of the cars doing 200+ was filmed during the race with a camera car. The only way they could get a camera car onto the track was to enter it as a competitor.

It came 9th.

(although we're all prissy little princesses compared to Steve McQueen)

Shut up i need this to be 8meters or longer. A bucket truck will give me at least 10meters of reach.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

spog posted:

Has anyone tried a cheapy in-car suction mount?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Window-Suction-CUP-Mount-Holder-Tripod-Stand-For-Camera-DV-GPS-Webcam-Y080-/160811896917

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Window-Suction-Camera-Mount-Tripod-Holder-/130705372639

I thought about having a play with recording a journey with a P&S for fun and I don't mind spending a couple of quid to do it.
I have a Panavise one and it's awesome (clean the surface first, trust me on this.) Not sure if I'd trust a super cheap one, although that second one looks like it might be a knockoff made on the same assembly line.

Steve McScene posted:

Me Dad's a metalworker. But I'm gonna need to work in Ali and he does steel so I need to work out some weight/strength issues.
Also can anyone who is good at maths work out the force acting on the sucker mounts if something with a weight of 2kg is 8m away from the mounting point? Or point me in the direction of a leverage calculator. Thank!
Here are your loads as calculated by ForceEffect (free for iPad, which is pretty crazy considering how powerful it is) with an 8m pole and the cups about 80cm apart and assuming 2" sch40 iron pipe.
Metric: Imperial:
Note that points A and B are the endpoints of your 8m pole, and they're that small because the loads on your mount points are loving huge.

For rigidity, you need tension on the pole. Put a 10cm eye bolt a bit in from each end and a 20cm one in the middle. Run two lengths of 1/4" aircraft wire (7000lb break each, which should give you a nice safety margin) from one end, through the middle eye bolt, to a turnbuckle with one eye bolt and one hook and a 20cm takeup length, leaving just enough slack to hook and unhook it to the other eyebolt. Tighten the turnbuckle down until the pole is almost straight.

Realistically, the only way this can work is if you counterweight it heavily and put the suction cups on weld points where the body connects to the frame on the roof. You're still running the risk of it popping and dropping a metal pole plus counterweight on the car, though.

Seriously, get a Tokina 11-16 and use an 8 foot pole tensioned (no middle support) with a racheting tie-down kit from your local auto parts store and a ball head or Magic Arm on the end. If you plan to go at any speed where you're not walking around with a hand on the camera, rig up a CO2-powered life vest with a safety line so that if it falls, it inflates and acts as an airbag for your camera.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wow that's a cool post. Cheers.
I would use ally pole though which should weigh nowhere near the iron stuff.
I already have an 8-16 so I'm alright for a wide angle, I just hate the effect. It looks cheap and has been done to death.
Thanks again!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

I have a Panavise one and it's awesome (clean the surface first, trust me on this.) Not sure if I'd trust a super cheap one, although that second one looks like it might be a knockoff made on the same assembly line.

Ta, much appreciated.

I'm giving the second one a try. Only my P&S's have video mode, so I'll use the expendable one first before trying anything clever.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Every p&s I've seen has a wrist strap anchor, just tie it off to the rear view mirror for extra safety. Also keep in mind that even though it's a good suction cup, it won't hold up to the heat of parking in the sun.

Oh no, I'm giving advice on the no advice thread :ohdear:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Can anyone ballpark what focal length this was shot at?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimgoldstein/6350041748/

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

Can anyone ballpark what focal length this was shot at?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimgoldstein/6350041748/

I would guess short tele, maybe 85mm on FF or thereabouts?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I was thinking short tele as well. Trying to decide if a longer focal length will lead to a higher or lower density of trails in the frame.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
lower.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there somewhere in particular I should be looking to find a thread about the computer end of photography? I've been chugging away for some time processing photos on my old T400 using LR3, but that's getting tedious as gently caress.

I really like the idea of an all in one because I'm lacking in real estate for a desktop, but I have no idea what I should be looking for anymore. The last time I built a desktop or was even interested in specs, AMD64 chips just came out and were all the rage.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Head over to SH/SC. For photos, you'll want minimum 8GB of RAM and perhaps an SSD system drive if you can swing it. Decent GPU helps too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've heard that all-in-ones are not ideal:

1) They don't have great ventilation, so over-heating may be a problem (admittedly, I was living in a hot country when this was mentioned).

2) They may have compromises on the specs (e.g. not very pokey video card) which is an issue because:

3) They are harder to upgrade due to case space

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there somewhere in particular I should be looking to find a thread about the computer end of photography? I've been chugging away for some time processing photos on my old T400 using LR3, but that's getting tedious as gently caress.

I really like the idea of an all in one because I'm lacking in real estate for a desktop, but I have no idea what I should be looking for anymore. The last time I built a desktop or was even interested in specs, AMD64 chips just came out and were all the rage.

I went Mac last year, and have to say I have not regretted it for a second. Bought a 27" quad core i5 version with the 6970M graphics card and 12 gigs ram. Great display for editing, excellent performance, and just a nice machine to work with. Best part: unless you add external devices, you have a big glorious screen, a bluetooth keyboard, and a bluetooth mouse/trackpad, and that's it.

And please, no Windows vs OS X wars here. Just mentioning what I like to work with, and appears to fit this one person's needs.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I went Mac last year, and have to say I have not regretted it for a second. Bought a 27" quad core i5 version with the 6970M graphics card and 12 gigs ram. Great display for editing, excellent performance, and just a nice machine to work with. Best part: unless you add external devices, you have a big glorious screen, a bluetooth keyboard, and a bluetooth mouse/trackpad, and that's it.

And please, no Windows vs OS X wars here. Just mentioning what I like to work with, and appears to fit this one person's needs.

I'm with you, I have the same set up except I think I've got an i7. Gets the job done.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

A friend of mine (and fellow DJ and photographer) made this: http://www.sunsurveyor.com/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:eyepop:

Screen from the next ID Software engine, the BFL.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
i'm just surprised he's handholding that, it looks like it must weigh like 75 pounds

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The amazon reviews for it are one of the best things on the internet, so if you've somehow missed them all these years, go read them now.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

The amazon reviews for it are one of the best things on the internet, so if you've somehow missed them all these years, go read them now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-200-500mm-Ultra-Telephoto-Nikon-Cameras/dp/B0013DAPNU/

Here you go, they are great; there are also several good ones for the Sigma 300-800. Whatever you want to say about Sigma, they're the only manufacturer left who seems to be willing to make ludicrous lenses. I guess the days of the Canon 5200mm and the Nikon 1200-1700mm are gone :(.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why doesn't Mannequin post in PAD?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Besides the 27", the smaller iMac will still get you a kick-rear end screen at a much cheaper price. However, the bigger iMac is much more capable in every way, though also takes up more space.

I bought the 13" stock MBP earlier in the year, and while having a portable laptop is nice on shoots, it's not really suited for serious photo editing.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Besides the 27", the smaller iMac will still get you a kick-rear end screen at a much cheaper price. However, the bigger iMac is much more capable in every way, though also takes up more space.

I bought the 13" stock MBP earlier in the year, and while having a portable laptop is nice on shoots, it's not really suited for serious photo editing.

Yeah, I picked up a 13" MBP about 4 months before I started really getting into photography. Definitely going 15" next time, and getting the retina display to boot.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Due to the death of a family friend, I have a mint Olympus OM10 on my desk and 3 lenses (3rd party). Realistically, it will probably go up on ebay and earn maybe a few quid - hardly worth the effort.

After a fresh battery I've been pointing it at things to test that it does indeed work.

The bright viewfinder just blew me away. Even the unremarkable lenses are a joy to compose through. It is so much brighter than my Canon crop DSLR.

Am I now doomed to sell all my crop stuff and go for FF?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spog posted:

Due to the death of a family friend, I have a mint Olympus OM10 on my desk and 3 lenses (3rd party). Realistically, it will probably go up on ebay and earn maybe a few quid - hardly worth the effort.

After a fresh battery I've been pointing it at things to test that it does indeed work.

The bright viewfinder just blew me away. Even the unremarkable lenses are a joy to compose through. It is so much brighter than my Canon crop DSLR.

Am I now doomed to sell all my crop stuff and go for FF?

You will be disappointed. One of the reasons the old FF cameras had such glorious viewfinders was that they had a fully reflective mirror, while modern AF FF bodies divert a fair amount of the light to the AF sensor.

My 1DsII is nothing compared to my old OM2.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The old film cameras also had bigger and brighter viewfinders to help with the manual focusing, something that isn't needed in modern-day cameras with AF.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

alkanphel posted:

The old film cameras also had bigger and brighter viewfinders to help with the manual focusing, something that isn't needed in modern-day cameras with AF.

For various reasons, I never had to opportunity to compare my old SLR with my DSLR. When I do now, the DSLR looks horrible: small and dark. The SLR looks really crisp and bright and it is a joy to look through. By comparison, the DSLR looks like a cheap film P&S.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You will be disappointed. One of the reasons the old FF cameras had such glorious viewfinders was that they had a fully reflective mirror, while modern AF FF bodies divert a fair amount of the light to the AF sensor.

My 1DsII is nothing compared to my old OM2.

I see. So what you are saying is that I should skip lusting after a 5DMKII and go straight for medium format?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

spog posted:

I see. So what you are saying is that I should skip lusting after a 5DMKII and go straight for medium format?

Yes, join the rest of use broke assholes hoarding film in our freezers. :getin:

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Krelas posted:

Yeah, I picked up a 13" MBP about 4 months before I started really getting into photography. Definitely going 15" next time, and getting the retina display to boot.

Is there a decent Windows alternative to the Macbook Pros? I was planning to buy a MBP for photo editing but if I can find something cheaper I'd be happy.