Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

RetardedRobots posted:

The neck is also smaller and thinner than other Gibson necks I've experienced, but it still has the standard Gibson nut width and is actually quite a bit more comfortable to play. Unfortunately, the thin nitro and poor finishing on the mahogany make the neck very slow. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but you can actually see and feel the wood grain through the finish. It's just so grainy. The frets are standard jumbo Gibson frets. I guess it was run through the Plek machine or whatever, but the fret ends extend very slightly from the fretboard and need to be filed (which is pretty much expected with a cheap guitar).

The craftmanship of this guitar is extremely poor however. The neck is horribly finished and the frets end are not finished at all. The nut is poo poo.

I'll spend an hour or so cleaning up the frets as that is expected with a cheap guitar, but I'll leave the rest of the neck problems for now. Frankly, if Gibson used maple for the neck they could have achieved a much better result. It's a shame really, I feel that this guitar was designed extremely well to keep the cost low, yet the craftmanship is horrid.

That's really disappointing. Melody Makers traditionally had great value for economy line instruments.

As far as the neck goes, have you considered, the tung oil treatment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil

Don't know if you want to mar your finish with a fine grit or steel wool sanding, but a lot of guitar players go this route to get a more playable neck.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Electronaut posted:

I have a fairly large pipe tobacco urn that is filled to the brim with picks from my dad. Most are thin to medium traditional shape.

I'm looking to the jump into the boutique plectrum world. I was talking with a friend to give the Dunlop Ultex Sharp a try, the reasoning is that the Jazz III shape (I have some Eric Johnson and Ultex Jazz) cramps my hand up for some reason and I'm finding the traditional Fender pick shape is working for me. So I'll try that out but what to look at as a step beyond that? V-pick switchblade?

Switchblade is really sharp. Might consider a Tradition Lite, or if you want to step up into the thicker picks, a Tradition 4.0. I'm loving with that one a lot lately, really nice playing and sounding pick. The Tradition Lite can be had in 1.5mm, I have one in that and blue colored that I really like. It's just a very "conventional" feeling pick but with a great grip (non porous surfaces rule) and excellent glide over the strings. Snappy pick.

How boutique do you wanna get? Patrick Hufschmid just released a pick design that he calls the arrowhead, it's not quite as sharp as the Switchblade and I think it'll probably play well based on experience with the material. Think it's 3mm thick (I'll know for sure in a week or so when it comes in the mail :v:). His stuff is not cheap, there's no way around that, but it's really nice, too. I think he even has one in his PHD material that's even closer to the shape you're looking at, and the material and thickness give a pick a lot of the qualities it possesses... Other than that, it's down to grip characteristics and bevel, both of which you influence to some degree by how you play.

Blue Chip and Red Bear both have their own special materials in a variety of shapes; Red Bear the most, frankly, they make pretty much every shape known to man. I dig the hell out of their 1.65mm thick Tuff Tone material, whatever it is. It's completely rigid and yet doesn't have a lot of attack noise, and unlike their conventional "simulated TS material" (which I do have coming in the mail, as mentioned earlier) it is pretty much invulnerable to the elements. No idea what it's made from, but the combination of characteristics is highly positive. Thing is, the wait on them is kinda long, and waiting to get a pick made only seems like a good idea to a certain crazy clientele (Hi, I'm Agreed, and I... love... picks.)

You want a QUICK FIX for CHEAP? Oh man have I got the pick for you. Right here. This pick is awesome, and you get a dozen of 'em, shipped as fast as you're willing to pay for, from Musician's Friend or wherever. This is my favorite mass-produced pick company, and if you check out their history, they actually had some pretty amazing innovations in making plectrums a thing. Like, that Fender standard shape? Yeah, that's this pick that I'm about to recommend, except they came up with it first. Good old #351. The ProPlec material is, I believe, cellulose nitrate (sometimes referred to as other makers as simply "acetate"). Hey, if it's good it's good. Check out old D'Andrea catalogs if you want to see pretty much the majority of "innovative shapes" in conventional thicknesses made today, no poo poo.

That's about it for my personal favorites when it comes to "Fender-style" (more like D'Andrea #351 style :colbert:) picks with something special to 'em, in my experience, in the boutique world. There are certainly other options, but those are ones I know and love.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hey Keyframe, (+ other Vancouver-ish goons,) did you get the email about the retarded Tom Lee sale this weekend?

:ohdear:

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Automatic Slim posted:

Don't know if you want to mar your finish with a fine grit or steel wool sanding, but a lot of guitar players go this route to get a more playable neck.

Protip: small amount of baby powder on the palm of your fretting hand.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Handen posted:

If the wiring is standard Jaguar, the rhythm circuit is neck pickup only in the up position, with volume/tone control at the top horn. With the rhythm switch in the down position, it enables the pickguard switches to control pickup selection, and volume/tone are controlled at the butt of the guitar. The three DPDT switches mounted to the hexagonal plate in the pickguard are control neck pickup on/off, bridge pickup on/off, and the third one is a bass cut/high pass filter. That filter is the Jaguar's hallmark; in combo with the bridge pickup, when distorted will give you ear-blistering lead tone.

That all seems about right, based on my fiddling with the guitar so far.

I'm going to plug into my stage amp / pedalboard later today (since they're at home after our show last night) and see how everything shakes out. Thanks for this, it's helpful to see it all laid out. I could probably find the Fender specs with about five seconds of Googling, I just haven't - been playing it too much.

quote:

I love Jaguars... I've owned four CIJ Jags in total, one standard and three HH's, but the Mexican ones bug me in that they repositioned the floating trem closer to the bridge. :gonk: I'd go with 11 gauge if you're finding 10's to be too loose, 12's can be a bit tight.

This is my first Jag, and it's funny to me that the style didn't used to appeal much. Then again, neither did Teles or Strats, and now I love all of those (and am lucky enough to have a version of each). I find myself preferring the necks on them, too - a little faster, a little narrower and the upper frets are easier to reach.

Mine - I presume - has the repositioned bridge, since it's MIM. Is that a bad thing? My understanding is that it was intended to address the occasional (but noticeable) problem of strings under too-low tension to stay on the bridge saddles. Has that problem been overstated?

quote:

Also, if you need help figuring out how to set up the floating tremolo, I think I've got instructions somewhere or can remember from memory. If not, check out the Shortscale.org forums. Those guys are usually pretty knowledgeable about Jags/Mustangs/Broncos etc.

Thanks! It's funny how different that 0.75 less inches on the scale feels compared to my Gibson-style guitars, or the 1.5" off the Fender-style guitars. It's not hard to get used to - I learned to play the violin long before the guitar, and I'm still more comfortable on a shorter fretboard (mandolin) - but it just *feels* different in a good way.

And yeah, I'll probably up the string gauge to .011s (assuming that these are .010s - I haven't checked yet, need to bring my calipers home). Stupid question, but as a Jag person... is that small of a change likely to require some setup to correct intonation, or is it not likely to be a big deal? Most of my other instruments can weather a 0.01 gauge increase without a setup, or at least they did in the past. But with the difference in scale, I wonder if it's potentially more problematic.

Warcabbit posted:

You don't have an altoids box? Altoids boxes: what can't they do!

I didn't know other folks did this, but it totally makes sense. My pick box is a 70 year old candy tin that was re-purposed back in the 1940s to hold archaeological artifacts. When we pulled it out of museum storage and re-packaged the material, the tin was tossed and I grabbed it. It has the site number and contents marked on it, still.

And it's tough as hell.

Walter fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 15, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You never know what you can do with an altoids box.

Guitar:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Tin-Guitar/

Amp:

http://mad-science.wonderhowto.com/how-to/build-your-own-mini-altoids-guitar-amp-for-about-5-0135412/

Stompbox:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=4c56312084ac010b9b49f1b22bfae4dc&t=653857

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 15, 2012

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
I actually kept that tin originally to use as a stompbox, but never got around to putting anything together. And then when I realized I needed a tough box for my picks, I just grabbed it.

Someday I'm going to build a treble booster, though, and mount it in an Altoids tin. The Altoid Booster - Curiously Strong.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Barn Door posted:

Protip: small amount of baby powder on the palm of your fretting hand.

That's a neat trick but inconvenient. An instrument should be ready to play and not a chore to do so.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

RetardedRobots posted:

Unfortunately, the thin nitro and poor finishing on the mahogany make the neck very slow. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but you can actually see and feel the wood grain through the finish. It's just so grainy.

I'm kind of confused here, what about the finish is it that you consider poor? Gibson's always used non-grain filled satin finishes on their cheaper guitars and that sounds like what you are describing.

I'm just asking because I was going to pick up the SG version and I was wondering if there was something else to the neck than I thought.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Agreed posted:

Switchblade is really sharp. Might consider a Tradition Lite, or if you want to step up into the thicker picks, a Tradition 4.0. I'm loving with that one a lot lately, really nice playing and sounding pick. The Tradition Lite can be had in 1.5mm, I have one in that and blue colored that I really like. It's just a very "conventional" feeling pick but with a great grip (non porous surfaces rule) and excellent glide over the strings. Snappy pick.

How boutique do you wanna get? Patrick Hufschmid just released a pick design that he calls the arrowhead, it's not quite as sharp as the Switchblade and I think it'll probably play well based on experience with the material. Think it's 3mm thick (I'll know for sure in a week or so when it comes in the mail :v:). His stuff is not cheap, there's no way around that, but it's really nice, too. I think he even has one in his PHD material that's even closer to the shape you're looking at, and the material and thickness give a pick a lot of the qualities it possesses... Other than that, it's down to grip characteristics and bevel, both of which you influence to some degree by how you play.

Blue Chip and Red Bear both have their own special materials in a variety of shapes; Red Bear the most, frankly, they make pretty much every shape known to man. I dig the hell out of their 1.65mm thick Tuff Tone material, whatever it is. It's completely rigid and yet doesn't have a lot of attack noise, and unlike their conventional "simulated TS material" (which I do have coming in the mail, as mentioned earlier) it is pretty much invulnerable to the elements. No idea what it's made from, but the combination of characteristics is highly positive. Thing is, the wait on them is kinda long, and waiting to get a pick made only seems like a good idea to a certain crazy clientele (Hi, I'm Agreed, and I... love... picks.)

You want a QUICK FIX for CHEAP? Oh man have I got the pick for you. Right here. This pick is awesome, and you get a dozen of 'em, shipped as fast as you're willing to pay for, from Musician's Friend or wherever. This is my favorite mass-produced pick company, and if you check out their history, they actually had some pretty amazing innovations in making plectrums a thing. Like, that Fender standard shape? Yeah, that's this pick that I'm about to recommend, except they came up with it first. Good old #351. The ProPlec material is, I believe, cellulose nitrate (sometimes referred to as other makers as simply "acetate"). Hey, if it's good it's good. Check out old D'Andrea catalogs if you want to see pretty much the majority of "innovative shapes" in conventional thicknesses made today, no poo poo.

That's about it for my personal favorites when it comes to "Fender-style" (more like D'Andrea #351 style :colbert:) picks with something special to 'em, in my experience, in the boutique world. There are certainly other options, but those are ones I know and love.

OK, I gathered you were a plectrum collecting maniac, but... thanks!

I put in an order for a Traditional Lite in blue (and one of their slides) after reading your response, it's already shipped. I'll see if my local guitar shop has the Ultex Sharps and the D'Andrea 351s in ProPlec or if he can get them. (Small local business, so I don't mind giving him business on strings and such.) I'll see how I like the V-pick before dropping the change on say the Arrowhead. I am definitely interested in the Red Bear pieces as well.

Aside, I only relatively started playing recently (almost a year now) so I jumped into the deep end with the Jazz shape, but it just hasn't worked out for me and has left me frustrated. Plus the lessons I'm taking are (purposely) finger style oriented, so the pick based playing is on my own. The pick differences stood out when noodling around in Rocksmith on one of the Muse pieces: flailed about miserably on the Jazz picks, switched to the traditional (the 1.14(?)mm Dunlop Tortex, Fender Heavy) shape and started knocking it out. This was after switching about with the guitars I have with different neck scales, neck shapes, strings, bridges, etc. so I figured it was something else in the end.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Side Effects posted:

I'm kind of confused here, what about the finish is it that you consider poor? Gibson's always used non-grain filled satin finishes on their cheaper guitars and that sounds like what you are describing.
That could be it. I've never played a neck where I could feel grain of the wood, I am used to necks that are smooth regardless of finish.

It's still a pretty playable and fun guitar (I was a bit harsh in what I wrote... it was late and I didn't edit well, so I'm re-editing).

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I got my V-Picks today: a Large Pointed, a Freakishly Large Pointed and a Screamer. They threw in a Lite Large as well. Each one of them is far superior to any pick I've previously tried, and at the moment I'm leaning towards the Screamer for bass.

Agreed: Nancy says hi!

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Has anyone tried metal picks before? They sound like good way to get a nice bright sound, yet nobody makes or sells them in the states. I have a pack of these on the way and reviewers seem to love them.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/0-3mm-metal-guitar-picks-24-piece-46549

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Legerdemain posted:

Has anyone tried metal picks before? They sound like good way to get a nice bright sound, yet nobody makes or sells them in the states. I have a pack of these on the way and reviewers seem to love them.

Try using a quarter while you wait for those to ship. It's good enough for EVH.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

Legerdemain posted:

Brian May used a silver sixpence. Greg Fryer (who took apart the Red Special) said there were little bits of silver all over the place from the coins May had used. I have a silver US quarter I found in pocket change, and have used it a couple times. Steel strings tear off bits quite noticeably. After just a couple songs worth of playing, it had a new bevel it hadn't had before.

But if you get really crazy, go buy some brass sheet from a hardware store and make some yourself. I did that not long ago... I've since misplaced the picks, but they were all right. A little bright, to be sure. But the brass grabbed the string really well, and I liked how the pick itself felt in my hand.

I am emphatically NOT a 5+ mm pick guy.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Walter posted:

Brian May used a silver sixpence. Greg Fryer (who took apart the Red Special) said there were little bits of silver all over the place from the coins May had used. I have a silver US quarter I found in pocket change, and have used it a couple times. Steel strings tear off bits quite noticeably. After just a couple songs worth of playing, it had a new bevel it hadn't had before.

But if you get really crazy, go buy some brass sheet from a hardware store and make some yourself. I did that not long ago... I've since misplaced the picks, but they were all right. A little bright, to be sure. But the brass grabbed the string really well, and I liked how the pick itself felt in my hand.

I am emphatically NOT a 5+ mm pick guy.

Some people snort coke I buy picks whatchagonnado?

Not super happy with the Blue Chip I got in. My own dumbass fault, I meant to order the larger Jazz style but actually ordered the smaller one. It's a fast pick, but there's hardly anything to grip. Still not sure if I feel like enough of a dork to have him swap it out for me or if I'm even more of a dork willing to hang onto a loving seventy five dollar piece of fancy plastic that is slightly smaller than the one I wanted to buy.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Cheap gear post!

I've actually had this for a little while but never shared a picture:

It's a beat-to-poo poo Schecter Omen 6 with a Duncan Screamin' Demon at the bridge. Bought it for $125. The previous owner tried to set it up for some really heavy strings and unrealistically low action. I had to take a shim out of the neck, replace the bridge due to some shoddy filing of the saddles, and it could still use a new nut, but it really does sound pretty good.

Continuing with the Schecter theme, I picked this up for my son a couple of weeks ago:

A "blemished" Omen 5 from zZounds. I'm pretty sure this was an unused customer return, because I couldn't find even a tiny mark on it anywhere. $269 delivered, down from the $399 retail.

Of course, with a shiny new 5-string, he needed something better than the lovely little SX practice amp he's been using. A quick stroll through Craigslist turned this up:

A nearly new Ampeg BA115, $150.

And finally, I had asked about this over in the amp thread a while ago and never got any input on it, so I just went and bought the drat thing anyway:

Bugera V5. I'm really glad I got it. It's exactly what I was looking for - decent, proper tube tone that I can use inside the house without breaking windows and bothering the wife/pets. This was "used, mint" from Musiciansfriend, saved about $25 on it.

I seem to have some impulse control issues when it comes to sale prices.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You can actually buy solid silver or gold picks (or possibly pick-shaped objects; this is not a personal endorsement.)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

MrLonghair posted:

"Heh, I'll drop this tiny bid on the auction anyway, no way it's going to go for that little money"

(later)

"Wait what"

Quite fancy drum-machine with a lot of basses from 1998, I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the samples and the capabilities, did not expect to be able to tune 808 kicks with a lengthy decay and bass boost to the values at which my monitors give up, and my HD25 headphones give me bassy eargams that turns the content of my intestines into easily-extracted slush..

More than decent menu and sequencer system for being a two-line non-backlit LCD machine, it is from 98 after all. So good I can actually disregard my plan of getting a fully analogue 808 clone from MFB.

Hey dude, I got one of these too, it's a really sweet little box. However, have you had any issues with the sequencer making GBS threads itself when you try to save a user pattern (both realtime or step) and resetting the unit? Even weirder, it still saves the pattern, so it isn't totally dead, just a workflow killer. Everything else works fine, so I'm guessing it's just a quirk cos it's so old.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Some novice pick talk. I really prefer the sound and feel of wood picks, and to satisfy my moral conscience, I looked to see if anyone was using American hardwoods.

I ended up acquiring a 3mm pick made from Texas Ebony from childs guitars. Apparently Robert Keeley of Keeley Electronics is a fan of the maker, and I can see why. So far I'm really happy with it - great worksmanship, great tone, and American craftsmanship :911:

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 20, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Hey dude, I got one of these too, it's a really sweet little box. However, have you had any issues with the sequencer making GBS threads itself when you try to save a user pattern (both realtime or step) and resetting the unit? Even weirder, it still saves the pattern, so it isn't totally dead, just a workflow killer. Everything else works fine, so I'm guessing it's just a quirk cos it's so old.

Sounds like maybe a weak internal battery and peculiar programming priorities, tried replicating this and came out fine. It requires more effort than expected to get to the guts of the machine to change the battery I gotta warn you, I wanted to wash the chassis and clean the buttons but after getting the bottom off and seeing what awaited me I was all :effort:

I'm using mine as a sound-playing slave sequenced from my MPC, I dig the filter and the low boosting but in the end it's another drum machine I might as well sample and put on the MPC, got outboard equipment that can filter and bigbottom the signal so bring on the MFB-523!

(Kurzweil & MPC = terribly good combination on a limited budget/space)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I just ordered this based off the recommendation of a friend:

Its a Mayones Regius 8. I have been playing Ibanez's for along time and apparently this is body size close to an S series which i love, but with 8 strings which I have recently started playing a lot. Mine is going to be this awesome green color though

I also ordered this since my last mandolin was destroyed by a careless wedding DJ:

That magnetic pickup looks a bit odd but i DO love the sound of it when it is plugged in....

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 21, 2012

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

MrLonghair posted:

I'm using mine as a sound-playing slave sequenced from my MPC, I dig the filter and the low boosting but in the end it's another drum machine I might as well sample and put on the MPC, got outboard equipment that can filter and bigbottom the signal so bring on the MFB-523!

I managed to get ahold of one of the old blue and yellow 4x4 Midisports so I'm now using Ableton to sequence it- was shockingly easy to setup, I was expecting the usual chore of making Win 7 recognize it but M Audio are really on it with their drivers.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I guess this might be the best thread for it.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Spring-Cleaning-BLOWOUT-Sale-At-or-BELOW-COST_c_185.html?referer=mailid:36
GFS is having a summer blowout sale. Enjoy, if you want something.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I just bought my first bass.

It's a Fender American Special with a black pickguard. It's got a really cool 70s vibe going on both in looks and sound. Can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

I managed to get ahold of one of the old blue and yellow 4x4 Midisports so I'm now using Ableton to sequence it- was shockingly easy to setup, I was expecting the usual chore of making Win 7 recognize it but M Audio are really on it with their drivers.

These are class compliant devices. Windows already had the drivers in the OS. As bad as M-Audio's hardware has been historically their drivers have been even worse for non-class compliant devices.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

My second shipment of Hufschmid picks arrived today.

Clockwise from bottom left: Acrylic Pointer (fluorescent), PHD Pointer, Acrylic Attack Drop, Acrylic Standard (fluorescent; Mr. Hufschmid threw this on top when I ordered the other 3).

Holy poo poo I didn't realize the attack drop was so huge! Especially considering the pointers are smaller than the similarly shaped dunlops I've been using.

Ninja edit: drat you, Agreed!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I've got some amazing picks that I need to take a pic of... When my wife and I get back from vacation, I'm going to ask her to do it if she doesn't mind, she's got a photographic eye much moreso than me and not to mention she knows how to use the cameras :v:

I have, ah... 16 or 17 Hufschmids right now... With a totally one of a kind Hufglow Drop (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in the mail (seriously, I am amazingly excited to get that in, the material is not amenable to making picks in that thickness but he made one and did a give-away and I won, it's wrinkling my brain) coming. And about 5 more.

And I think three others.

Look, the shipping charges really add up, if you know you like 'em, it's a good idea to buy them at once, okay?... okay?

---

Edit: A little bit ago I took delivery on an PHD Black Arrowhead, a PHD Black Drop II, and a melted/warped internal logo pick he made in 6mm orange fluorescent. I'm gonna take a break pretty soon and test out the Black Drop II and the Arrowhead, they're not like anything else I own and should be fun. :rock:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 21, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I haven't looked at Huf's site in a while. He's got a lot of new stuff on there. Cool that you can get the Attack Drop in acrylic now, that poo poo's hot. I got the PHD Attack Drop, and then a couple weeks later, a Gigantic Drop, which I love to death. My favorite thing about those picks is that as they wear, they get faster and smoother on the strings, and have this nice new bevel. So glad I got turned on to those, because I don't think I'll ever look back. Playing with a Jazz III now is like, "Where'd my pick go?"

I also made a pick out of a quarter the other day at work. It's poo poo.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

qball posted:

I just bought my first bass.

It's a Fender American Special with a black pickguard. It's got a really cool 70s vibe going on both in looks and sound. Can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

Nice bass! Sunburst with a black pickguard is my favorite look for Fender style basses, as you can see by my previous posts in this thread.

EDIT: Speaking of which:

Geisladisk posted:

I want to have sex with that bass.

Sorry bud, Mary Jane's a classy lady, and she's all mine. My black fiver likes to party, though.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 22, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm trying a new amp setup this week.

Guitar to POD HD, POD HD in dual tone mode, channel A is a marshall with cab sims, channel B is a mesa boogie preamp with no cab sims, both go through a couple of stereo pedals then A goes to the PA and B goes to my amp.

Its essentially a direct to board setup but I get to keep an amp on stage with me that I can dial in independantly of whats going into the PA. Also, stereo effects. I know most soundguys hate stereo becasue its dumb doing a live mix where the left side of the room is getting a different sound from the right, but in this case panning trems and stereo delays and such are cycling between the stage sound to the PA, rather than LR. No one at the back of the room will be able to notice it probably but gently caress em. Hopefully it sounds alright on the night.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 22, 2012

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

AcidRonin posted:

I just ordered this based off the recommendation of a friend:

Its a Mayones Regius 8. I have been playing Ibanez's for along time and apparently this is body size close to an S series which i love, but with 8 strings which I have recently started playing a lot. Mine is going to be this awesome green color though

Oooh, that Mayones is going to be awesome! I've heard great things about the Regius, they're definitely worth the money. One of those is on my "to-buy" list, along with a .strandberg* (in the 80's on the waiting list!) and Daemoness.

What specs are you going for?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I picked up this sweet little philly up from a music store closing up shop for $35. It sounds amazing, super smooth high end and really nice overall response. These sold for over $300 new, I think I got a good deal on it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Picked myself up a Sovtek 2x12 yesterday, looks just like this:

Now I need a head, since someone snagged the MIG60 it was attached to before I got around to checking it out.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

nrr posted:

Hey Keyframe, (+ other Vancouver-ish goons,) did you get the email about the retarded Tom Lee sale this weekend?

:ohdear:

Somehow I survived.

If you call picking up an Apogee Duet 2 surviving. gently caress.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

I'm getting one of these Jackson Warrior WRXMG's to start playing some heavier metal. I played one at the music shop and it felt awesome. Your palm just naturally falls right near the bridge when you have it slung down low, and with some EMG Blackout's I figure she'll have a wicked squeal. The hardware is pretty nice on it too, and it's hard to turn down a Floyd.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My first really good guitar, and probably the last with the way this thing sounds and plays. I just need a nice halfstack to run this thing through:

Yes I'm gay for Buckethead, why do you ask?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Super good deal!
There were a few places where the top was starting to lift off, but I glued and clamped them, no problem. It's in good condition otherwise. Set it up for B (or A) standard with Elixir .13s and it's great, the most comfortable geetar neck I've played...my hands are huge and skinny necks don't really work out. I'm going to add a pickup sometime. I looked the serial number up and this one was made in spring/summer 1966.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
One advantage of working at a music store is getting to jump on cool stuff as soon as it comes out. I'm in a band that gets noticed as much for our look as our sound, and I'm trying to step up my end of that. Witness, then, the BC Rich Acrylic EM1.

Oh, and that poo poo glows. I'm taking it home as soon as my DR Neon Green strings arrive.

Action shots once I get it on-stage, oh yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. I believe I recall something that shoots lasers down your guitar neck. Cause otherwise, it'll just look incomplete.
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Guitar_frets.htm
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=19909&hl=fiber
http://www.fretlord.com/fretoptix.htm
http://www.simscustom.com/html/00leds.htm

Or just glow in the dark fret markers.

So, how much that thing weigh?