Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Someone should pull a class action lawsuit against the ARMA devs, there's no way that the TOS covers blanket bans because of some stupid mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mordaedil posted:

|| means OR in scripting. It basically says if function 'BIS_GITA_fnc_createMarkers' is nil, zero or false, then execute the following code.

The false thing is... Almost not necessary because it isn't given a function and will never be true.

What I mean is: foo() || false evaluates to the same thing as foo(), unless foo doesn't return a boolean, in which case it might be casted to one, depending on the language. So, it seems like the || false is to force the language to cast the result of isnil 'BIS_GITA_fnc_createMarkers' to a boolean. The only problem is that it doesn't make any sense for a function called isnil to return anything other than a boolean.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This is loving insane. I love it. And that thread is so ridiculous.

"ITS YOUR TURN UP AGAINST THE WALL GOONS"

Uh, thanks buddy. But no thanks? I almost never grief cause I'm too busy playing a game. But apparently I and everyone else are THE ENEMY AND SHOULD BE GIVEN NO QUARTER.

This kid may be proto-Blackwatch or something.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So uh, why does some lovely mod developer have the ability to issue global bans? I don't get some of the terms being thrown around. Is Battleeye the lovely ARMA version of Punkbuster or VAC?

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Yes, and apparently this guy has some form of authority over who it can ban since he works at Bohemia Interactive, or so I'm lead to believe.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

quote:

Well, Pepe Le Pew, sure I was cheating like a dickhead non stop and my actions resulted in the loss of thousands of hours of people's hard earned beans and fun, but now that it's been patched out, we're cool right? loving wrong! You will be lined up against the wall.

If my time in ROTC has taught me anything at all, it's respect for the rules. That, and the FACT that my enemies deserve NO QUARTER. Just like a loving no good bum. I will always remember, but I will never forget.

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.
How common is it to use scripts in the game outside of cheating? If all the players banned had been cheating anyway, won't this be good for the community in the long run.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Piddlepuss is banned, wuat survives. Holy poo poo, what the gently caress is going on :psyduck:

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Raneman posted:

Piddlepuss is banned, wuat survives. Holy poo poo, what the gently caress is going on :psyduck:

I reported him for real life threats. Sorry if it was goon being funny.

\/\/\/ Well poo poo, I'm surprised they actually listened to me. I worded it as a real life thread against our subway subs.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 17, 2012

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Raneman posted:

Well, poo poo.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Well, poo poo.

That ROTC post was loving stellar

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Remf posted:

How common is it to use scripts in the game outside of cheating? If all the players banned had been cheating anyway, won't this be good for the community in the long run.

Ordinarily, yes, but when the cheaters comprise almost the entire community... :downsgun:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I like how they don't give reasons for bans either. I really hope that poo poo is hitting the fan in their IT department or however the heck they run things. Although it probably isn't, since they are still laughing their way to the bank over the previous sales.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Someone should pull a class action lawsuit against the ARMA devs, there's no way that the TOS covers blanket bans because of some stupid mod.

Where is this a c/p from?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Whats funny about the whole DayZ forums is I got banned on page 4 and they are up to page 9 now and continuing on.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

why does it say || false ? Is it some quirk of the scripting language?

In a lot of scripting languages, objects evaluate to true unless they are false or nil. In Ruby for instance, there is ||= which will evaluate the right hand side if the object is currently nil or false.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I will always remember, but I will never forget.

Don't those mean the same thing?

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Raneman posted:

RIP :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

That's more of a reason than most people got!

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
Terraria had a lovely bug with its multiplayer code which allowed liquids to be duped with buckets.

Naturally this meant my lan crew had to fill enormous vats full of lava high above the spawn area of populated servers.

Most of the time it's not apparent that there's any griefing until an unstoppably huge amount of hellrain is obliterating everything.

The nature of this grief also protects the identity of the griefers. Perfect conditions for further griefing:

Better watch your rear end HOMIE!

Some servers like this next one had a special mod which did its best to prevent griefers. An area (around spawn in this case) can be designated as unchangeable, meaning no blocks can be placed or removed by players.

Unphased, we construct the tank as usual.

Here you'll see some of the engineering involved with directing the lava flow towards spawn. This area isn't restricted, so we were able to construct a wall on the right:

Getting closer to the spawn, however, we entered the restricted area.

As it turns out the restricted area does not restrict a player from using water to turn lava into obsidian. Quite the contrary - the formed obsidian block becomes unbreakable as it is now in restricted area.

Armed with this key knowledge we engineered the last few obsidian blocks to guide the lava in to the spawn point:

Obviously the next objective was to create an obsidian wall in the spawn room to prevent anyone from ever exiting.

Here I am scooping up some water to make some new unbreakable obsidian blocks. FIRESTARTER, quite ironically named, makes his debut appearance in this screenshot:

BINGO! The spawn is walled off from the rest of the entire map with unbreakable blocks.

And to answer FIRESTARTER's query as to who picked up his platinum:

After about 20-30 people spawned in and died in the inescapable lava prison spawn, the admin rebooted the server and restored to an earlier worldstate.

You can from the restore that the last hole there isn't quite filled with obsidian, but our lava is close to its goal. Only a bit more lava and we will be fully operational once more.

FIRESTARTER also continues to share his woes with everyone.

This last shot here, shown after lava had already doused the area and killed FIRESTARTER is really my favorite:

Oh FIRESTARTER, when will you ever learn?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His cry of 'ADMIN IS TORTURING US' is the best. :allears:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's not even a multiplayer bug, you can do that in single player as well.

Have they changed it so character information is stored server side behind security, or is it all client side anyway? Because that's a giant gaping vulnerability. So like DayZ except even more vulnerable.

The idea was that you only ever play it with people you know in real life and trust, but considering the demographic they were marketing to I don't think that was ever viable.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
e: oops nevermind.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 17, 2012

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I love his rage about his fantasy dollars. It's adorable. It's even better because he is mostly the only one talking in those shots so it reads like it's just one poor dope who can't figure anything out. It's adorable :3:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, Terraria is a game best played on a private server. Even your starting pick is all you need to ruin someone's hard work (and I'm guessing that minecraft is similar in that respect).

Since they added pumps to the game, with a few buckets of lava you can make an automatic infinite lava generator. Just have an outlet drop the liquid back into the inlet. As long as the inlet is always submerged, it will slowly produce more. You can then build a huge reservoir with a bunch of pumps up at the edge of the sky, let them run for a while, then drop it on whatever needs burning. The pressure plates also have obvious potential for fun. I liked to hide them in dimly lit rooms made of red brick, then hook them up to explosives, which would be camouflaged by their surroundings.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Phobophilia posted:

Have they changed it so character information is stored server side behind security, or is it all client side anyway?

It's all clientside because it's Terraria.

As of november last year you could walk to the edge of the world, drop a treasure chest on the exact map border, and cause the entire map to never load again.

I guess the developers aren't good at handling handle edge cases. :rimshot:

The best real grief for Terraria was simple and wonderful. The game has an item named Suspicious Eye which when used summons the lowest-level boss in the game, who sticks around until daytime and then leaves if he hasn't been defeated.

When suspicious eyes were first added to the game there was no limit on how many bosses could exist at once so all you had to do was edit a huge stack of them into your inventory and then spam them as fast as possible as soon as it became night. The ensuing cloud of giant eyeballs converges on spawn and murders the hell out of everyone repeatedly until daybreak and then dissapears. This doesn't mess up the map or do any lasting damage to the players but the rage it creates is incredible.

(Skip to 0:44 to get a rough idea of what this looks like, although this guy's doing it with a mod)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90lwv_IrcM

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Except that it would be far more entertaining as your average pubbie would not be decked out with the greatest versions of arms and armor in the game.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bucketmouse posted:

It's all clientside because it's Terraria.

As of november last year you could walk to the edge of the world, drop a treasure chest on the exact map border, and cause the entire map to never load again.

I guess the developers aren't good at handling handle edge cases. :rimshot:

To that end up until the last two officially released versions there was no cheat protection at all, so there was nothing stopping you from giving yourself whatever item you want, making it infinite, and making it fire every frame.

This worked really well with the fire flower because (for unknown reasons) it did damage every time it connected instead of only once every x frames or so.

It was really, really trivial to grief servers that way. Give yourself TNT and fling 100 of it in one throw, watch the server lag for an hour and eventually come back up with a huge crater in the middle of the world.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The Day Z griefing is glorious and I applaud you Slamscooty. And really it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Rocket really seems like such an arrogant prick, "no false positives" pffft please.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If you show any signs of weakness (such as admitting you or your systems are not infallible) then the playerbase/griefers will devour you! ALWAYS PUT FORTH STRENGH AND CONFIDENCE! ESTABLISH DOMINANCE! :black101:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
This has been a great morning to read what has transpired on the DayZ front goons, I thank you.

I can't wait until the next time someone finds out a bug in DayZ and exploits it, causing this to start all over again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

FamDav posted:

In a lot of scripting languages, objects evaluate to true unless they are false or nil. In Ruby for instance, there is ||= which will evaluate the right hand side if the object is currently nil or false.

Right, but the point is, (x or false) is boolean equivalent to (x), much as (x and true) is boolean equivalent to (x). There is no reason to write (isnil x || false) rather than (isnil x).

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

ToxicFrog posted:

Right, but the point is, (x or false) is boolean equivalent to (x), much as (x and true) is boolean equivalent to (x). There is no reason to write (isnil x || false) rather than (isnil x).

As someone who has noticed things like this in my own code in the past, it probably cropped up the statement previously being much longer or different, and then being a goddamn idiot and not eliminating all of the excess instead of just a portion.

"Okay let's take that out... what was this for? Eh. It still works right? :pseudo:"

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

if() statements only run if the evaluated statement is true. So:

thisStatement = true;
if(thisStatement) { code }

Would run because thisStatement is true. The code earlier basically said:

if(thisStatement == true OR false) { code }

If you want the code to run if the statement is true or false, then you don't need the if() statement.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
/\ But that's not how if-statement evaluation works, assuming the script language behaves like almost all other languages.

Functionally it's:
(statement == true) OR (false)
Not:
statement == (true OR false)

My guess is it's a leftover from debugging where the dev changed it to "OR true" if he needed the logic to always enter the code block. Similar to "AND false" to temporarily disable parts.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SirViver posted:

My guess is it's a leftover from debugging where the dev changed it to "OR true" if he needed the logic to always enter the code block. Similar to "AND false" to temporarily disable parts.

This would be my guess too, because I've done crap like that before. if(thing && false) {} etc to test or temporarily disable some block from executing.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

This is exactly what I said.

VVV

I can understand where you guys got confused -- it took me a minute or two to understand what I was trying to say this morning, but I was cribbing off that earlier example that (x or false) is the same as (x). So, it seemed to me that the coder wanted the block of code within the if() to run if the statement was true or false, not realizing that it doesn't work. Because, after all, I thought we were making GBS threads on the developer for being bad, or something.

Basically you guys made me explain a really, really cheap jab at this guy's coding, which we all knew was for debugging purposes. Should've removed it though

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 18, 2012

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

LaTex Fetish posted:

No it isn't

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

LaTex Fetish posted:

Oh, ok?

LaTex Fetish posted:

if(thisStatement == true OR false) { code }

If you want the code to run if the statement is true or false, then you don't need the if() statement.
Maybe your last statement was unrelated to the above code example - if so, then you indeed said the same thing - but to me the wording implies that (you think that)

if (statement == true OR false)

does the same thing as

if (statement == true OR statement == false)

which it does not.

E: We probably shouldn't be having this discussion in the griefing thread, though :downs:.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Stop griefing the thread with code talk please.

• Locked thread