Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not nearly enough hatred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
There wasn't any hatred at all! The guy was just all "yeah so here's this really dumb and simple website that is old. But take a look at this guy's loving blog! What a character, am I right?"

If only he knew... dear god, if only he knew.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He may very well know. But you have to ease people into it before they can become fully WILDCARDS or GRRuMblers or whatever the gently caress any individual hater calls themself, lest they flee in terror too soon.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm looking into travel ideas for this summer and I think I found a great place for a Bad Thread goonmeet.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm looking into travel ideas for this summer and I think I found a great place for a Bad Thread goonmeet.
New Brunswick :neckbeard:

... Although New Brunswick is more White Harbor than King's Landing.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I guess that means that everyone should remain in constant contact with their family after the termination of guest rights in New Brunswick :ohdear:

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 18, 2012

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I can just see us all right now assaulting this 1800s farm community through Saint John river on hastily thrown-together rafts made entirely of beer cans. It would be our desparate attempt at trying to relive the Battle of Blackwater. Reminding us of when we liked this series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

We'll just whip up a few batches of napalm with some copper mixed in for that realistic green tinge.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As long I get to poo poo at it from outside the gates, I'll be there.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

We'll just whip up a few batches of napalm with some copper mixed in for that realistic green tinge.
Good for pissing on.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Rurik posted:

I've brought this up before, but nobody seemed to notice back then. Anyway, I find it a bit odd how ok it is to hate Joffrey, since he's a 14-year-old kid. Yeah, he is a complete rear end in a top hat and has power which makes it possible for him to do horrible things, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a 14-year-old kid. Children aren't responsible for their actions the way adults are and I think Joffrey's regents were much more responsible for all the poo poo they let him do than what he did. Cersei especially. What a horrible mother person.

You can certainly hate someone for acting like that, you just can't blame them for it. It's like dealing with someone who has borderline personality disorder.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Cersei must have concentrated exclusively on Joffrey because the other two kids are relatively nice and normal. Especially Tommen, he's loving adorable. It's the reverse of the Starks. Tommen and Myrcella are sweet and innocent and Joffrey is a bloodthirsty brat. The eldest Stark children are the most naive while the younger three are well on their way to being remorseless killers at the least.

Rickon might grow up to pull a Joffrey one day. And on that day, I shall rejoice.

The King in the North! The King in the North! :black101:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
No "in" bit. King of the North, at the least.

from the prophetic thread:

MacDougall posted:

Gendry will end up on the Iron Throne for sure.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

rejutka posted:

Blackwater is burning.

It's cool, I live by the river.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Contra Calculus posted:

There wasn't any hatred at all! The guy was just all "yeah so here's this really dumb and simple website that is old. But take a look at this guy's loving blog! What a character, am I right?"

If only he knew... dear god, if only he knew.

its worse than that...

ball licker posted:

but he also writes LiveJournal blogs about the New York Giants and TV shows he likes. Just like me! God help me, but this website makes me just love George R.R. Martin so much.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

God help me, but this website makes me just love George R.R. Martin so much.
If there's any way to pick out a truly broken person, it's that sentence.

That or reading the Books of Gurm in the first place.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Reminds me of this gem.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Urdnot Fire posted:

If there's any way to pick out a truly broken person, it's that sentence.

That or reading the Books of Gurm in the first place.

Or posting in this thread.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Well, I'd like to think everyone here has actually read the books. Though I'm sure we'd provide an interesting summary of the books for any uninitiated reading this thread.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Here is a trailer for some French movie called Farewell my Queen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQfyExCVQk
It's about famous lesbian Marie Antionette and the only reason I'm bringing it up is because it's the historical basis for the Myrish swamp scene. Probably. Or maybe I've caught shitdick of the brain and associate everything I see with these terrible books for gross nerds. I don't know, watch the first few seconds and tell me I'm crazy.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Ah yes, Marie Antoinette. Famous adulteress, lesbian, orgiast, traitor and incestuous pedophile, as documented in those unimpeachable scholarly pamphlets and her rigorous trial.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Martin Van Buren posted:

It's about famous lesbian Marie Antionette and the only reason I'm bringing it up is because it's the historical basis for the Myrish swamp scene. Probably. Or maybe I've caught shitdick of the brain and associate everything I see with these terrible books for gross nerds. I don't know, watch the first few seconds and tell me I'm crazy.

The movie seems gross just for the pro-Monarchy angle, bleh.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Eh, Marie Antoinette, whatever her faults, didn't deserve the poo poo she got or the trial leading up to her death. Her son was coached to accuse her of molesting him at the trial.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 19, 2012

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Eh, Marie Antoinette, whatever her faults, didn't deserve the poo poo she got or the trial leading up to her death. Her son was coached to accuse her of molesting him at the trial.

It's fairly sad when you consider the reality of the French royal family. Completely insulated and isolated in the fancy castle-city of Versailles that was built solely so the royals didn't have to look at the squalor of Paris. How is anyone born and raised in such an environment going to have the abilities or sense of perspective to rule? It's no loving wonder the French revolted.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Demiurge4 posted:

It's fairly sad when you consider the reality of the French royal family. Completely insulated and isolated in the fancy castle-city of Versailles that was built solely so the royals didn't have to look at the squalor of Paris. How is anyone born and raised in such an environment going to have the abilities or sense of perspective to rule? It's no loving wonder the French revolted.
I feel also sad for the Russian czar's family. Nicholas II was dense and could've avoided the disaster had he been less moron, but his children were innocent and couldn't even affect the events that led to that outcome. Who the gently caress executes a 13-year-old?

At least the Chinese communists had the decency to "re-educate" their last emperor and they even let him be part of some political committee. Not that his post-revolution life can even be described as decent, but it's still better than killing kids.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Rurik posted:

I feel also sad for the Russian czar's family. Nicholas II was dense and could've avoided the disaster had he been less moron, but his children were innocent and couldn't even affect the events that led to that outcome. Who the gently caress executes a 13-year-old?

Sometimes you just gotta make it rain on them Castameres, na mean?

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Martin Van Buren posted:

Usually I love Benoit Jacquot's movies, especially his first movies with Bresson-like aesthetics but this one was pretty bad. Then again lesbian scenes between Lea Seydoux & Diane Kruger. V:downs:V

I know that Absolute fucker probably took "inspiration" from many historical events but I always felt like he ripped off "The Accursed Kings" by Maurice Druon. Excellent novels based on the end of the Capetian Kings and the schemes of a nobleman trying to take back his county through murder, deceit, etc.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Rurik posted:

Who the gently caress executes a 13-year-old?

If they're alive, monarchists/loyalists/whatever can rally behind them and attempt to oust your government. That's a distraction no one wants, since they tend to show up at the worst times.

Gotta Kill 'em All!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If they're alive, monarchists/loyalists/whatever can rally behind them and attempt to oust your government. That's a distraction no one wants, since they tend to show up at the worst times.

Gotta Kill 'em All!
I'm aware of that reasoning, but that makes them no less lovely people.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Rurik posted:

I'm aware of that reasoning, but that makes them no less lovely people.

Eh, Russia was a very lovely place to live in the beginning of the 20th century, and alot of 13 year olds etc starved to death every day under the mismanagment of the Czar. I don't condone it, but it was a hard life back then. As much as it's useless to apply modern day morale to GURM, it's equally useless to apply modern, western morale, to pre-industrial Russia.

Were the children innocent? Yes.
Were they innocent by Russian standards in 1917, when serfs still were punished for their grandparents imaginary slights towards a nobles grandfather back in the middle of the 19th century? No.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I disagree. Injustice doesn't become justice simply because it's the norm and widely accepted. Guess I'll have to be Stannis here.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Rurik posted:

I disagree. Injustice doesn't become justice simply because it's the norm and widely accepted. Guess I'll have to be Stannis here.

Oh, it's still injustice. But you still need to see it in context of early 20th century Russia. Life were cheap back then, and everyone got jugded by their families. That doesn't mean the people were necessarily lovely, even if they did an isolated lovely thing, that just made them pragmatic.

Actually, killin the rest of the Czar familiy propably saved a few thousand lifes because it didn't leave the Whites in the ensuing civil war with a figure head.

edit: Speakin of injustice. Remember again that pre-revolution Russia was a serfdom, where basicly everyone who weren't a noble were slaves. I bet alot of those pre-teen serfs got executed regulary without being guilty in anything regulary.

Anders fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 19, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Plus, killing the Czar's family ensured Vladimir Baratheon didn't have to get in argument with Eddard Stalin over murdering the kids once they were old enough to rally troops overseas.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Anders posted:

Oh, it's still injustice. But you still need to see it in context of early 20th century Russia. Life were cheap back then, and everyone got jugded by their families. That doesn't mean the people were necessarily lovely, even if they did an isolated lovely thing, that just made them pragmatic.

Actually, killin the rest of the Czar familiy propably saved a few thousand lifes because it didn't leave the Whites in the ensuing civil war with a figure head.
The Whites weren't all monarchist. They were never going to rally as they were basically everyone that wasn't a particular brand of communist.

Anders posted:

edit: Speakin of injustice. Remember again that pre-revolution Russia was a serfdom, where basicly everyone who weren't a noble were slaves. I bet alot of those pre-teen serfs got executed regulary without being guilty in anything regulary.
I don't think the "but the other kids did it too" is a good defense really.

Edit: I thought this was the military history thread, how the hell did we get here?

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 19, 2012

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Occupation posted:

So I just finished ACOK, and the Season 2 of GOT is so, so much better than the book as a whole it's not even a contest.

Really the only stuff that was better in the book was how they originally finished Robb's storyline and the House of the Undying being SUPER rad. Oh, and Arya's third name stuff, sorta?

But yeah, pretty much every change the TV show made from the book (and they made a lot) was for the better. Especially Dany's storyline. Holy poo poo ACOK Dany's storyline might be the most boring loving thing I've ever read.

Like, even the minor stuff- Shae becoming Sansa's handmaiden so we got to see both her and Shae's characters more often- was just brilliant. The original ACOK suffers from LOTR-style "a different, minor character is responsible for every single job and function", and TV necessitating a tighter, more focused cast meant we got to see the great characters onscreen longer.

Also the changes they made to certain characters were great. Joff being an actual unrepetant monster as opposed to a vaguely whiny prick was a great change. Not to mention all the stuff they did with Tywin/Theon to make them actually sympathetic characters with agency.

How can someone think this?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Edit: I thought this was the military history thread, how the hell did we get here?

French Movie < Dead French royalty < Dead Czar family < Dead 13 year old boy < Dead GRRM before Winds of Winter comes out

The Mutato posted:

Well, Dany's story is better than the book (still isn't good), Shae is more likeable than her book counterpart and Tywin and Theon are far more sympathetic in the show. So it's not an opinion out of nowhere.

I do think the show ended up rushing and leaving some things underdeveloped, so the book is better, but Game of Thrones does improve a lot of what the GRRM did.

Except Jaime killing the counsin. That was just him being unnecessarily dickish.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 19, 2012

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Haha, Joffrey as a vaguely whiny prick in the books? What.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think the "but the other kids did it too" is a good defense really.
This. I'm sure lots of innocent 13-year-old serfs were executed, but that doesn't make killing an innocent 13-year-old czarevich any more right. Alex couldn't choose where and in which family he was born no more than anyone else. And as a response to the "well he had it much better than lots of other people" argument that sometimes pops up in similar conversations, he got killed for in which family he was born, which in my book equals drawing the short stick. And besides, killing and sparing people based on pure luck (which being born somewhere is) is really horrible.

I tend to regard myself as somewhat of a pragmatist myself, but killing a child because thousands of other lives might be spared is a bit too pragmatic for me. To quote Davos on the issue of Azor Ahai, I'm not the stuff heroes are made of.

quote:

It is inevitable that the richness of George R.R. Martin's prose and the depth of historical knowledge he draws his inspiration from is reflected upon any kind of prolonged discussion about his literary production. It's very much like Godwin's law.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

The Unnamed One posted:

French Movie < Dead French royalty < Dead Czar family < Dead 13 year old boy < Dead GRRM before Winds of Winter comes out

Well, Dany's story is better than the book (still isn't good), Shae is more likeable than her book counterpart and Tywin and Theon are far more sympathetic in the show. So it's not an opinion out of nowhere.

I do think the show ended up rushing and leaving some things underdeveloped, so the book is better, but Game of Thrones does improve a lot of what the GRRM did.

Except Jaime killing the counsin. That was just him being unnecessarily dickish.

True about Dany, I didn't really care to clarify at the time. Shae maybe, depends how they run with her payoff. With Theon/Tywin, more sympathetic=/=better. Theon was plenty sympathetic in the the books though :colbert:

Anyways, probably just a psychological bias towards the first medium you saw it in, we are all guilty of that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Mutato posted:

A preference for sentimentality masquerading as character intimacy in lieu of the "realistic" scale that comes from a world painted with as many characters as the author desires.