Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont get header wrap. All it does is hold in moisture and various petrochemicals and make your headers look like poo poo. Unless you plan to run header wrap forever, its not a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The P.O. probably wanted the bike to look beefier with its dual exhaust, like a 1000 instead of the little 650 it is.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I dont get header wrap. All it does is hold in moisture and various petrochemicals and make your headers look like poo poo. Unless you plan to run header wrap forever, its not a great idea.

It's an easy way to badassify your crash-mangled header.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I don't know that moisture turns into steam and makes my bike look badass as gently caress...
Or a bit gassy depending on how you look at it.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
My grasp of electricity is limited to don't stick a fork in the outlet.

I'm trying to clean up my rear fender wires (blinkers, tail light, etc.) and while I got every wire pretty much figured out, I'm not sure how to connect two of them together. They were held together by a plastic clip thing with a metal liner which seemed to do the job alright, but when after I removed these clips I realized I was very short on wire. Too short. I can't hook them back together while having my hand squeezed in there trying to fold this blasted clip on itself.

I was thinking maybe get a few extra inches of wire (what kind?) and some replacement clips or better yet simple plugs (in case I have to remove the fender again), but I have no idea what these are called.

EDIT: These.

internet inc fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 19, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we were talking race sag a page or so back, here is a good illustrated primer:

http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm
http://www.tootechracing.com/Static%20Sag%20Suspension%20Tip.htm

Also a complete setup guide for modern upside down showas (biased towards dirt): http://www.tootechracing.com/Twin%20Chamber%20Setup%2010-12-07.pdf

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Is there proof one way or the other that that's all it does?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I dunno but I plan to be buried in header wrap, then come back to haunt you all.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

internet inc posted:

My grasp of electricity is limited to don't stick a fork in the outlet.

I'm trying to clean up my rear fender wires (blinkers, tail light, etc.) and while I got every wire pretty much figured out, I'm not sure how to connect two of them together. They were held together by a plastic clip thing with a metal liner which seemed to do the job alright, but when after I removed these clips I realized I was very short on wire. Too short. I can't hook them back together while having my hand squeezed in there trying to fold this blasted clip on itself.

I was thinking maybe get a few extra inches of wire (what kind?) and some replacement clips or better yet simple plugs (in case I have to remove the fender again), but I have no idea what these are called.

EDIT: These.

Get ya one of these:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/sale/posi-locks-for-sale.htm

Watch the videos on Webbikeworld and figure out how to use the red things to make a butt splice.

Then get ya some of these: http://www.waytekwire.com/item/31512/MALE-DISCONNECT--250-X--032/

And some of these: http://www.waytekwire.com/item/31513/FEMALE-DISCONNECT--250-X--032/

If you're using 18ga wire or 12ga wire, get a different product. It's pretty easy to find. Get some more of that gauge wire, too, to splice in the connectors above.

Cut each wire, and splice in the connector. Like so:

code:
Parts:

Uncut wire
	--------------------------------

= Posi-lock butt splice

[ Female connector

: Male connector

Instructions:

Cut
	---------------x----------------

Splice in connector

--------=-------[  :----=--------
	 |      |       |  |    |
	wire    |   female |    |
	      posi         male |
	      lock              posi
	                        lock
On second thought, I've over-complicated things. What I've posted will both splice in a couple inches of wire and add the connector. All you need to do is just cut, then add the connector in the middle. Maybe use some zip ties to make things neater.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 19, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've got a friend here in Japan with a bike who is always helping me out with poo poo. Any suggestions on something not too much of a bitch to ship I could get him as a thank-you gift? Let's say no more than $100, can be more than one smaller thing.

He rides an XL250R now but I'm buying it off him next month, not entirely certain what he's getting to replace it (he thinks a CB400 but is looking at other stuff).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If he works on bikes a fair amount, buy him a high quality (Snap-On or other high end brand) 18 inch JIS screwdriver. I have one, it's the only snap on tool I own and it's worth it's weight in gold. Buddy who taught me how to work on bikes bought it for me as a birthday present and not only am I reminded of him every time I use the thing, but it's also drat handy, especially for stuff like carb boots clamps, intake clamps, etc.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

If he works on bikes a fair amount, buy him a high quality (Snap-On or other high end brand) 18 inch JIS screwdriver. I have one, it's the only snap on tool I own and it's worth it's weight in gold. Buddy who taught me how to work on bikes bought it for me as a birthday present and not only am I reminded of him every time I use the thing, but it's also drat handy, especially for stuff like carb boots clamps, intake clamps, etc.

He does (cars too), although he may already have one already. He values good tools and I know he brought a pretty nice set of wrenches back from the States last time he was back (can get nice stuff here too, but like basically everything in Japan you pay a lot more for it than you would back home), so he might already have a good screwdriver already.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Turned the key, no lights. Perhaps I need a new battery. It's an extraordinarily beautiful day, and no bike. :smith:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2985117&pagenumber=308#post404781413

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

He does (cars too), although he may already have one already. He values good tools and I know he brought a pretty nice set of wrenches back from the States last time he was back (can get nice stuff here too, but like basically everything in Japan you pay a lot more for it than you would back home), so he might already have a good screwdriver already.

Well, the reason I say a JIS one in particular is because it's not the standard screwdriver type. I don't know how often JIS screws show up on cars, but it's one of those things that most people won't buy because you only run into JIS screws in a handful of situations, and many don't know why they're stripping out all of the carb screws. Ask him about JIS screws and you'll find out quick if he has one or not!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
But if the friend actually *lives* in Japan, I'd hope he's already got JIS bits and stuff? Japanese Industrial Standards and all that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I'm trying to find a windshield for a 85 Suzuki GS550ES and I.can't seem to locate one, Any.suggestions ?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've got a friend here in Japan with a bike who is always helping me out with poo poo. Any suggestions on something not too much of a bitch to ship I could get him as a thank-you gift? Let's say no more than $100, can be more than one smaller thing.

He rides an XL250R now but I'm buying it off him next month, not entirely certain what he's getting to replace it (he thinks a CB400 but is looking at other stuff).

Get him the best clicker torque wrench you can for the money. For $100 you should be able to find some decent non-digital ones.

A man can never have too many torque wrenches.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Some guy in AI actually did a test and found that the Harbor Freight torque wrenches are within 5% spec of the Craftsman ones. For a fifth the price, I'd gladly go with one. Of course, he didn't test it after several uses... :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa has anyone tried these? Are they garbage or good?

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-torue-adapter-68283.html

:eyepop:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What the everliving poo poo is that smilie? :stare: :eyepop:

For the same price you can just get a torque wrench and not have to worry about batteries or Harbor Freight electronic components rattling loose and setting your garage on fire or something

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A guy I know had one and said it was garbage to use. The torque wrenches are on sale for something insanely cheap like 10 dollars each, grab one of those and see how it works.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Xovaan posted:

What the everliving poo poo is that smilie? :stare: :eyepop:

For the same price you can just get a torque wrench and not have to worry about batteries or Harbor Freight electronic components rattling loose and setting your garage on fire or something

I have a harbor freight bathroom scale that I got for $9. I guarantee it uses the same level of sophistication and QA strain gauges. It's been going strong for two years, and is still within 1%. When I think it's off, I put my calibration weight on it, and if it is off, I replace the battery. Two AAA batteries in two years, and right on cal.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Since we were talking race sag a page or so back, here is a good illustrated primer:

http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm
http://www.tootechracing.com/Static%20Sag%20Suspension%20Tip.htm

Also a complete setup guide for modern upside down showas (biased towards dirt): http://www.tootechracing.com/Twin%20Chamber%20Setup%2010-12-07.pdf

Thanks gonna use these. The Halls Cycle guy is making it sound like I don't need a stiffer spring, which is weird cause most riders 200lbs and up are all complaining their bikes are too soft and upgrade theirs.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I am about to embark on the grand adventure of working on my *running* bike tomorrow! I'm just going to take the wheels of my '81 CX500C so I can bring them to the dealership to get new tires.

I have a centerstand so that should take care of the rear. I was thinking of unfolding a ladder and standing it over the front forks, and then using ratchet straps to secure the front up the ladder while I take off the front wheel. During this time the rear is on the centerstand. Decent idea of disaster waiting to happen?

To elaborate I'm going to be outside, as the only place I have to put my bike inside is a shed for winter storage. Beyond that I'm outside to work on the thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's the good word maintenance-wise on the '06-'08 Buell Ulysses? I know they have Sportster engines underneath, but are they KLR bulletproof or Triumph fussbuckets? I'm thinking about selling my KLR and getting one for touring / being generally more comfortable than the KLR.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
They are basically maintenance free. Keep oil and fuel in it and bring a spare belt. You can change one on the side of the road if you get unlucky.

The 08+ are preferable; the TPS adjustment is a snap for them. The <08 is a bit of a chore to do but you don't do them often.

The ZTL works well for the bike and it's nice to only have one set of front pads to change out, it pretty much halves the brake maintenance cost.

I love my Ugly, it has 40k mi, seeps a little oil from the bottom of the cylinders, but it's like a "makes the dust I let accumulate get oily" sort of seep. I've put about 1000 miles on it since its last oil change and the oil level hasn't moved. If that leak gets worse, its no big deal because I am waiting for an excuse to take it apart and go 1250.

Also, find one that's been tuned. The stock fuel map is horror.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

I was size-shopping an array of Japanese death machines the other day, and it seems to me they've all gained 1"+ in stock seat height over the last few years. I'm around 5'9" and 29-30" inseam, which makes these well beyond flat-footable.

I would really like to pursue one of these things, but I don't feel like throwing links, dogbones, cut seat, and a bunch of hacktastic workarounds at the problem, potentially winding up with a mess geometry-wise. Is there anyone left that puts out something in the 30" range, or am I stuck in cruiserville for the rest of my days?

Not Japanese, but the Monster of your choice or a 2012+ Duke 690 should be easily flat-footable for you.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Xovaan posted:

If accurate, it'd be a nice quick way to test torque wrenches. Looks awkward to use in place of one though.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Saga posted:

Not Japanese, but the Monster of your choice or a 2012+ Duke 690 should be easily flat-footable for you.

And if not Ducati offers a lower seat for the Monstaz.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Saga posted:

Just remember that the Duke 690 is the liter bike of supermoto's (SM standards). They are twitchy, explosively fast, razor sharp chassis that do not forgive pansy behavior but reward hooning and being ridden 100%. You will have just the biggest crash if you buy one of these. Duke 690's are probably one of the greatest and most under appreciated bikes of all time but don't let the HP number fool you, in this case 65 HP 'like an SV' is NOTHING like an SV.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

~*-The internet never forgets-*~

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wow, it's totally the same context and everything. Nailed it! lol!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Who was that? And why does he or she not understand the apostrophe?

Monster 696 or 796 will be fine for someone 5'9" without a lowered seat...they were too cramped in the leg around corners for me and I'm only 6'2".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Saga posted:

Monster 696 or 796 will be fine for someone 5'9" without a lowered seat...they were too cramped in the leg around corners for me and I'm only 6'2".

At 5'10", this is my experience with Monsters. Low seat height, cramped ergos.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Alright, Took my battery out and left it on a continuous 12v 2Amp trickle charger, can leave it on for a whole month right?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Does your charger have an auto shutoff?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Not that I know of.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Tenchrono posted:

Not that I know of.

Yeah no, you definitely don't want to do that then. It'll overcharge and with 2 amps could possibly overheat and cook your battery which is extra bad. You want something like a Battery Tender that'll automatically turn off/let the batter lose some charge and then re-charge it accordingly. The Jr. Model is the best for leaving it plugged up for a long time as i think it's not even a full amp of charging.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 21, 2012

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Viper_3000 posted:

Yeah no, you definitely don't want to do that then. It'll overcharge and with 2 amps could possibly overheat and cook your battery which is extra bad. You want something like a Battery Tender that'll automatically turn off/let the batter lose some charge and then re-charge it accordingly. The Jr. Model is the best for leaving it plugged up for a long time as i think it's not even a full amp of charging.

Alright, I just did a short ride and I'm just going to leave the battery unplugged and just connect it when I get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
No answer in the bike gear thread so I'll ask here:

I need a stand for my 2012 HD night rod special. I'd like for it to be under $100.

The problem is I have no idea what the different kind of bike stands are. I don't need it to lift the bike or anything, I just need it to stand up straight in the garage so I can fit my car in easier. So, I guess I need a front stand, but I don't know what kind or what to look for. Do they need to be a certain size or anything?