Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom has hinted a few times that there is Something Up with Annie wearing makeup like that, and it's not just a normal thing. (Notice how much makeup her classmates have on when they show up, too.) I think he was going a whole different way with it than that.

I don't know that we're going to get total clarity on the chapter in the next couple of pages. I kind of prefer it that way, actually; explaining Zimmyness too precisely would tend to kill it.

I always assumed Annie's mom showed her how to do her make up, and this is just her connecting with her mother. I doubt we will ever get a proper explanation over something so small though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Micgael posted:

I always assumed Annie's mom showed her how to do her make up, and this is just her connecting with her mother. I doubt we will ever get a proper explanation over something so small though.
Gauntlet status: thrown

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Gauntlet status: thrown

Not... really? I think this is the kind of thing where we're meant to infer rather than have it spelled out.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
The kind of interesting minor detail that everyone has their own theory on. The minor detail in and of itself is irrelevant, but your speculation and theorizing adds to your enjoyment of the comic. Kind of like the ending of Inception, somewhat.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dyllyn posted:

The kind of interesting minor detail that everyone has their own theory on. The minor detail in and of itself is irrelevant, but your speculation and theorizing adds to your enjoyment of the comic. Kind of like the ending of Inception, somewhat.
It was just about to fall

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Is it me or Annie a bit robotic? That smile looks a little fake to me.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
What is Zimmy's accent exactly? When I read she sounds like this in my head, which is pretty entertaining but I don't know if it's actually correct.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

She has a Birmingham accent doesn't she?

Also, she's looking over her shoulder in the first page, because she's looking back at her beginnings in the court?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

Supeerme posted:

Is it me or Annie a bit robotic? That smile looks a little fake to me.

It me it seems shes happy to see Kat but is also confused and worried about being in a hospital bed she doesn't remember getting into.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
That raised more questions than it answered! Great work Tom, straight up on form.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Oh Annie... She just can't accept that maybe her father is indeed a jerk that needs a Zimmy face-punch on occasion. I think Rasamune's theory is at least pretty close to being what happened based on what we see here. So what are we expecting, one more page for this chapter on Friday?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
The confusion, it never ends.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Talorat posted:

The awesomeness, it never ends.

Fixed

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Oh, it was just a dream. Okay then, everything's just hunky-dory I guess \/:)\/

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I think there's always an element of reality in a dream where Zimmy is involved. The missing headband points to this.

Or, put another way, when Zimmy is involved, the line between dreams and reality becomes blurred.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I think the missing headband shows that it's not a dream, and that's just how Kat explained it. For Annie it would be more dreamlike since she started out unconscious.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

pik_d posted:

I think the missing headband shows that it's not a dream, and that's just how Kat explained it. For Annie it would be more dreamlike since she started out unconscious.

Yeah, I was just making a lighthearted joke about it, as there's really no way the entire sequence could be explained away that easily.

Especially in Gunnerkrieg Court.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was just a dream? See me after class, Tom. :I

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

It was just a dream? See me after class, Tom. :I

This is Zimmy; just because something is just a dream doesn't mean it's not real.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
The lead in to Friday will probably just be her father saying "drat" or something.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Last panel suggests an ominous pan-up to Microsat-5.

Then it's revealed that we're actually still in that chapter and the "Divine" title card was just an illusion/part of Zimmy's reality

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 20, 2012

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, that last panel sure is a set up for a nefarious panel involving Anthony. I'm hoping it just cuts to him fixing cataracts in a 3rd world nation somewhere and Annie going "see I tolds ya"

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Migishu posted:

The lead in to Friday will probably just be her father saying "drat" or something.
"...I must go to the Court and speak to my daughter about the company she is keeping."

Oh well, Gamma may have stolen Kat's headband, but at least Zimmy gave Annie her mask back. Yay!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still really hoping Annie's father turns out to be a legit villain.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Madrox posted:

Oh Annie... She just can't accept that maybe her father is indeed a jerk that needs a Zimmy face-punch on occasion. I think Rasamune's theory is at least pretty close to being what happened based on what we see here. So what are we expecting, one more page for this chapter on Friday?
I think we'll have two more pages in this chapter, on Friday and Monday, the bonus page on Wednesday, and the new chapter page on Friday, leaving us waiting all weekend to see the first page of the new chapter.

Because that's always how it happens. :sigh:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
She always has an excuse for him. :smith:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Zenzirouj posted:

Well, that last panel sure is a set up for a nefarious panel involving Anthony. I'm hoping it just cuts to him fixing cataracts in a 3rd world nation somewhere

With the careful and judicious application of necromancy :unsmigghh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nate RFB posted:

Still really hoping Annie's father turns out to be a legit villain.

There are no villains in Gunnerkrigg; just some people who make really dumb, dumb things.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

There are no villains in Gunnerkrigg; just some people who make really dumb, dumb things.
Totally this.

Diego and the leaders of the Old Court are the closest things we have so far, I think, and even they're not quite proper villains, at least not with the little we know about them.

e: The Tic Toks are pretty sinister, too, I guess, but we know even less about them and they have yet to do anything particularly malicious.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Totally this.

Diego and the leaders of the Old Court are the closest things we have so far, I think, and even they're not quite proper villains, at least not with the little we know about them.

And the fact that they're all long dead, of course.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FronzelNeekburm posted:

She always has an excuse for him. :smith:

It's really, really believable in the worst way. It takes a lot of emotional work for a kid to move from excuses to anger at a negligent (or abusive, though that doesn't seem to be the case here thank god) parent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Saoshyant posted:

That's exactly why I'm hoping for Anthony to break the trend. Have it turn out that he really didn't deserve any of the excuses Annie made for him all this time.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
In the Zimmy world after Zimmy insults Annie's dad we see the mask break apart. I wonder if that was a one time burst of does that mean that we'll get an Annie that doesn't hide things and is a bit more open like her mom.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know. It's arguable that acting like her mum *is* the mask. After all, being like her mother founds a lot of the expectations the people she meets places on her, from Eglamore, to her father, to even Coyote. It's only Kat, who has never met her mother, that is free from that.

Annie being more lively, like her mother, does not mean she is any better at being confident in her true self. It might just mean she's faking it to please everyone.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Fangz posted:

I don't know. It's arguable that acting like her mum *is* the mask. After all, being like her mother founds a lot of the expectations the people she meets places on her, from Eglamore, to her father, to even Coyote. It's only Kat, who has never met her mother, that is free from that.

Annie being more lively, like her mother, does not mean she is any better at being confident in her true self. It might just mean she's faking it to please everyone.

Though if that's true then Kat would be the last person for Annie to put up a mask. Especially since it's just the two of them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Revolver Bunker posted:

Though if that's true then Kat would be the last person for Annie to put up a mask. Especially since it's just the two of them.

Well, it is the case that in Annie's dream sequence, she's only without the mask in the scene with Kat.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Revolver Bunker posted:

The only area she has the mask around Kat in the dream is her cheating on the homework.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I do hope there's more to this storyline eventually (or this week, even, since it's not over yet). Third-year Annie has been rather difficult to sympathize with, since we've seen how much she hides from everyone, even us readers.

In the first year, she was the unflappable prodigy. In the second year, she was the lone wolf coming into her own. But ever since the end of last year, we keep finding angles she's playing that we aren't aware of. She was still cheating off Kat, so carefully we never saw it. She lashed out at Jack in anger or confusion or who knows why? And she was still being extremely careful about showing any weakness when her father called.

I can understand why she feels she always has to be strong and brave, but I wonder when we're actually going to see the real Antimony.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
"But I feel fine now!" she said, looking at her third hand.

I'm hoping the final page will be similar to the Jones, "It appears I am wearing a party hat now," page and have Anthony very stoically realizing he has a black eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Revolver Bunker posted:

In the Zimmy world after Zimmy insults Annie's dad we see the mask break apart. I wonder if that was a one time burst of does that mean that we'll get an Annie that doesn't hide things and is a bit more open like her mom.

She always gets pissed when people insult her dad.