Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Emalde posted:

Speaking of this, what happened to the Atelier thread? The Black Stones, where did you go? :(

I think he might be waiting on my lazy rear end. :goleft: TBS if I don't get something to you tonight just push that thing live mang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

I think he might be waiting on my lazy rear end. :goleft: TBS if I don't get something to you tonight just push that thing live mang.

If you're not going to finish your quests, you shouldn't accept them in the first place. <:mad:>

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I made a thing.

Atelier series thread

Sorry for the wait. I got busy and was waiting for some things for the thread but those will wait till later. Atelier chat can move on over!

Lasher posted:

Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice with the Game of Thrones RPG.

I'm on chapter 4 and I decided to go against my usual builds and I'm playing as a water walker, things have been interesting as he's mostly defensive, parrying attacks and riposting and whatever.

Trouble is now I'm going up against gangs of soldiers who are backed up by archers who just rip me apart because naturally I cant counter arrows like I can swords. Should I just quit the game and restart with a more tank like build?

I can give advice on this, as I have beaten the game! Your problem is this, you don't need to counter poo poo on a stick, you just need to prioritize. If there's an archer, go for them right away, because chances are that your armour is weak to them especially if you went with a light build. Secondly, go as fast as you can down the skill tree to get the skill that knocks a person down, because it's a huge help in those fights. You can knock down the closest person, then switch targets over to the archer and take him out while the guy needs to get back up. Also, keep in mind your weapons, you get 2 loadouts remember, and what's best for you is to keep in mind what weapon weakness they have and switch on the fly to what's best. There's gonna be one weapon weakness you can't compensate for, but that's when you just switch to your strongest and go with that.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 19, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Streaming some Pier Solar now!

http://www.justin.tv/iastsa

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

iastudent posted:

That's really neat, really tickles my nostalgia bone. I'd like to read about your impressions of it so far, the battle system, story, etc. Also I just saw you had a character learn a skill called AvocadoBlast. That is amazing. AMAZING.

I recently beat Radiant Historia which was recommended a lot here. I enjoyed the atypical story setup and time travel mechanic that really made it unique. The battle system was interesting, fun, and challenging to maximize combos, but goddamn the battles were a slog with normal trash monsters midway through the game. Those trash battles just took too drat long, but the battle system was great with bosses.

I rarely beat any JRPG I try these days as I usually just lose patience with too many random battles and I just want to progress the story. It was nice to finally beat one and the slow parts were worth it in the end.

I've dipped my toes into Xenoblade Chronicles for a half hour and I'm already feeling overwhelmed with all the added elements to it like the affinity system and a bazillion sidequests. Looking at its thread and I see all this min/maxing talk my brain just shuts down and I go shoot some people in Red Dead Redemption.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

iastudent posted:

So whats the deal with that game over screen? I'm kind of watching off and on but I saw that you were getting close to death fighting that crab boss and next I check you're like walking around the game over text.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Hondo82 posted:

I've dipped my toes into Xenoblade Chronicles for a half hour and I'm already feeling overwhelmed with all the added elements to it like the affinity system and a bazillion sidequests. Looking at its thread and I see all this min/maxing talk my brain just shuts down and I go shoot some people in Red Dead Redemption.

The people who talk about min/maxing stuff are usually late game and looking to get the very best out of specific characters at that point. Most of the game can be done at your own speed.

There is a lot you can do in Xenoblade, but just take it in slow, do things at your own leisure and it will all get less complicated the more you play.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just beat the first boss of Pier Solar. So far it's not too bad... it stays to its 16-bit roots, for better or for worse. The battle system has a sorta neat idea of letting you spend turns charging up so your attacks do more damage, and it also lets one character transfer their charge levels into another right before their turn, in case you need someone to hit hard for a turn.

That said, there's some issues with it that still nag me. The instruction manual in the game isn't the clearest on how some of your stats work. Also on the inventory/status screens for each character, you can see some kind of meters corresponding to each of their stats and some "Atk/Spell progress" percentiles, but the manual doesn't mention them at all or how they're influenced.

voltron lion force posted:

So whats the deal with that game over screen? I'm kind of watching off and on but I saw that you were getting close to death fighting that crab boss and next I check you're like walking around the game over text.

This confuses the hell out of me too. If you die, you end up on the game over screen but you can wander around and see some trees and barrels. Eventually the characters break the fourth wall and suggest that you reset, which as far as I can tell is the only way to get back to the title screen... it won't auto-reset for you. :psyduck:

Anyways, I'll show some more off maybe later tonight, or if not that then later this week. For now I leave you with these highlights.

:haw:

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa/b/321997620

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I finished up DQV and, drat, what a good game. I don't even remember the last time I was this invested in the story of a game (it was probably when I was around ten years old). Anyway, I'm kind of in a Dragon Quest mood and was thinking of proceeding to the other DS games. Which one would you recommend to play next? I actually got like ten hours into IX before stopping for some reason or another, but I haven't touched the others at all.

iastudent posted:

That said, there's some issues with it that still nag me. The instruction manual in the game isn't the clearest on how some of your stats work. Also on the inventory/status screens for each character, you can see some kind of meters corresponding to each of their stats and some "Atk/Spell progress" percentiles, but the manual doesn't mention them at all or how they're influenced.

It really is just like reliving the 16-bit era, when gamefaqs didn't exist and you had no idea what all those numbers on your stat screen meant. This is kind of an exciting prospect to me, to have a game in this day and age that you can't actually check guides for.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

There is a lot you can do in Xenoblade, but just take it in slow, do things at your own leisure and it will all get less complicated the more you play.

How many quests actively time out completely? That's the bit that's got my OCD side mildly terrified.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Hondo82 posted:

Xenoblade is incredibly easy if you over-level the area you're in by just a few levels. And it's incredibly easy to over-level all the content up to the final boss, even without side quests. Actual difficulty only enters the equation when you want to do the endgame side quests, optional bosses, and gathering.

All you really need to know is keep a heal skill or two up-to-date, know how to topple someone and how to apply status effects.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

iastudent posted:

Still have yet to hear back from team watermelon. I'm getting kinda pissed off at how badly they handled this so far.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Stelas posted:

How many quests actively time out completely? That's the bit that's got my OCD side mildly terrified.

Only the ones that have a clock next to them. Anything else will be there till the end of time.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Stelas posted:

There's a pretty good number of them. There are entire quest hubs that become permanently unavailable at certain jumping-off points. It can be a tough game to play OCD-style because while all the missable stuff is clearly marked as such, there's just so much poo poo to do that you might end up getting burnt out before you finish the main plot. That's why the #1 advice you can give for the game is to just try to take it nice and easy.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 19, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Amppelix posted:

I finished up DQV and, drat, what a good game. I don't even remember the last time I was this invested in the story of a game (it was probably when I was around ten years old). Anyway, I'm kind of in a Dragon Quest mood and was thinking of proceeding to the other DS games. Which one would you recommend to play next? I actually got like ten hours into IX before stopping for some reason or another, but I haven't touched the others at all.

I prefer V over the rest but IV is a fun one. It's a little shorter I think (despite the chapter splits) but it's good. VI is one I want to like but it feels so tedious towards the end I can't finish it. The encounter rate feels way higher than V's and the class system really promotes grinding hundreds of battles. IX is actually really good too, just a little less personal than the rest.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I have to say, I have been touring the national parks throughout the states for the past month and a half, seeing some truly breath-taking sites, doing things I will never, EVER forget. Everytime I get out of the woods and back to having internet access, I check back into this thread, and all I want to do is sit in front of a TV and play whatever RPG I'm doing at the moment. Ah well, thank goodness for emulators!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, Infinite Space: I'm in Chapter 2 and I'm getting waylaid by this group of 3 black ships that pretty much 1-2 shot me. Should I just be escaping because I'm weak or is there something going on there? I don't have any new blueprints so my opportunity upgrade isn't there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Where exactly are you?

If it's the fight with Dedon you just need to do enough damage to trigger an event. If it's just some random no name pirates, then you should be able to beat them. I believe you could have upgraded a little bit prior to leaving the very first system or just as you entered the second system (modules only though I think).

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 20, 2012

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Levantine posted:

I prefer V over the rest but IV is a fun one. It's a little shorter I think (despite the chapter splits) but it's good. VI is one I want to like but it feels so tedious towards the end I can't finish it. The encounter rate feels way higher than V's and the class system really promotes grinding hundreds of battles. IX is actually really good too, just a little less personal than the rest.

This is quite similar to my opinion, but there's one awful, glaring flaw with the US version: they cut out the talk option entirely. :( It ruins so much of the game's charm, because it added a lot of life to an experience that was a bit lifeless. (Also the Russian accents of Alena's people are pretty ridiculous and overdone.) I find it a little hard to recommend IV DS due to that, which is sad, because IV rules otherwise.

I also wish I could recommend III, but it's out of print and all extant editions of it are ancient. I wish we'd gotten that anniversary pack that Japan got. :sigh:

At this point, if you hunger for More DQ, Amppelix, what I'd recommend is a copy of VIII, if you can find it, which I don't think should be TOO hard at the moment. It's well-designed, has enough plot to be satisfying without dragging, and it's got a lot of the same bells the Zenithian remakes and IX had.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Where exactly are you?

If it's the fight with Dedon you just need to do enough damage to trigger an event. If it's just some random no name pirates, then you should be able to beat them. I believe you could have upgraded a little bit prior to leaving the very first system or just as you entered the second system (modules only though I think).

There is no story intro to the battle so they are just pirates. Last I tried it, one attack killed me. Maybe I'm just not sure what I'm doing. Do I have to go manually heal my ships after battles or is docking at a spaceport enough?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

There is no story intro to the battle so they are just pirates. Last I tried it, one attack killed me. Maybe I'm just not sure what I'm doing. Do I have to go manually heal my ships after battles or is docking at a spaceport enough?
Ships heal for free whenever you dock, even if they were destroyed.

You have some options. You can basically just escape for now until you unlock the second fleet slot which should be very soon (always talk to people in bars). Once you have the second fleet slot, you can use the Daisy again and just slap in front of your flagship to serve as a meatshield (repairs are free!). Stay up to date on modules/crew members at this point in the game too.

Either way you'll have to fight them eventually. When you say you are dying to a single hit, do you mean to a single barrage? Generally speaking you should never ever get hit by barrages and you should tank normal hits. The gameplay caters very strongly to a more reactive playstyle for most of the early game. Some tips when it comes to the tactical meter:

When you activate dodge, you're in dodge mode until you attack. You can effectively always hit dodge and then sit on your meter until you are ready to attack. You will always dodge barrages in this state unless you attack first.

You can see your enemies tactical state in the upper right hand corner, they operate using the same rules as you do. So if they're in yellow, and go to green, you know they just activated dodge. Now you can poke at them with a normal attack to get some damage in and still have ample time to re-engage dodge before they have meter to barrage (usually). If you are a little short on meter you can just ignore them and keep building up until they barrage.

If your enemy goes straight from yellow to red and then barrages, you will dodge, so you can react with your own barrage and have ample time to build back into dodge state.

The worst state to be in is when the enemy is in red and then does a normal attack. There's not much you can react to here without risking major damage or losing out a damage opportunity. You can poke back with a normal attack and then go straight to dodge, but you will be unable to respond with a barrage should they barrage. It's up to you.

Also another crutch is to put Kira in your first mate position or whatever as that unlocks a heal tactic for you to use. So if you screw up you can always just back out of attack range and heal up a bit. She's better in the cook position though because crew fatigue leads to some pretty rough penalties.

If you are missing a lot make sure you are always targeting the ships in front of the formation (designated by the formation icons, not the order of the ships in the menu) - this is usually what ruins people.

[e]Someone just told me the ongoing IS LP has a lot of good posts on mechanics:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398403235 (Tactics)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398477401 (Formations)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398567872 (Ships/Modules)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398944506 (Crew Members)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=401356848 (Money/Accounting)

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 20, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Ships heal for free whenever you dock, even if they were destroyed.

You have some options. You can basically just escape for now until you unlock the second fleet slot which should be very soon (always talk to people in bars). Once you have the second fleet slot, you can use the Daisy again and just slap in front of your flagship to serve as a meatshield (repairs are free!). Stay up to date on modules/crew members at this point in the game too.

Either way you'll have to fight them eventually. When you say you are dying to a single hit, do you mean to a single barrage? Generally speaking you should never ever get hit by barrages and you should tank normal hits. The gameplay caters very strongly to a more reactive playstyle for most of the early game. Some tips when it comes to the tactical meter:

When you activate dodge, you're in dodge mode until you attack. You can effectively always hit dodge and then sit on your meter until you are ready to attack. You will always dodge barrages in this state unless you attack first.

You can see your enemies tactical state in the upper right hand corner, they operate using the same rules as you do. So if they're in yellow, and go to green, you know they just activated dodge. Now you can poke at them with a normal attack to get some damage in and still have ample time to re-engage dodge before they have meter to barrage (usually). If you are a little short on meter you can just ignore them and keep building up until they barrage.

If your enemy goes straight from yellow to red and then barrages, you will dodge, so you can react with your own barrage and have ample time to build back into dodge state.

The worst state to be in is when the enemy is in red and then does a normal attack. There's not much you can react to here without risking major damage or losing out a damage opportunity. You can poke back with a normal attack and then go straight to dodge, but you will be unable to respond with a barrage should they barrage. It's up to you.

Also another crutch is to put Kira in your first mate position or whatever as that unlocks a heal tactic for you to use. So if you screw up you can always just back out of attack range and heal up a bit. She's better in the cook position though because crew fatigue leads to some pretty rough penalties.

If you are missing a lot make sure you are always targeting the ships in front of the formation (designated by the formation icons, not the order of the ships in the menu) - this is usually what ruins people.

Hm, ok. I haven't unlocked the second ship command slot yet. I'm not entirely sure what is happening. My attacks appear to be missing quite a bit on these guys and when I say I was one-shotted, it was by a Normal attack. I'm hesitant to use Dodge because I read that makes Normal attacks do more damage?

I think there is just a lot to take in early in the game and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at during a battle. Like, I just noticed that you could see the enemy's color at the top of the screen. I'm going to give it another try and try to play more reactively.

EDIT: Ok, I'm reading through those and learning quite a bit. Currently I have only four crewmembers. I have Nia in the 1st Officer spot. Is that better than Kira there?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 20, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Dodge just increases the hit rate of normal attacks, not the damage. This is pretty meaningless until you have more ships in formation and even then it's largely ignorable. Dodge is honestly your most powerful move. Try to make it the center piece of your strategies and the game will make more sense.

You really shouldn't be getting one shot to a normal attacks, that seems peculiar unless you got a bad string of crits. Maybe the triple-ship formation at that point in the game is worse than I remember. There's other formations that might be easier to handle. Well anyway if it gets to be too intolerable you can keep running away until you can keep exploring until you get the shield deflector module which should give you more HP to work with.

I prefer Nia in the first mate slot because her stats gives you more mobility and faster recharge. Lots of people really love the heal from Kira though. It's up to you and more of a playstyle choice.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 20, 2012

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Dodge just increases the hit rate of normal attacks, not the damage. This is pretty meaningless until you have more ships in formation and even then it's largely ignorable. Dodge is honestly your most powerful move. Try to make it the center piece of your strategies and the game will make more sense.

You really shouldn't be getting one shot to a normal attacks, that seems peculiar unless you got a bad string of crits. Maybe the triple-ship formation at that point in the game is worse than I remember. There's other formations that might be easier to handle. Well anyway if it gets to be too intolerable you can keep running away until you can keep exploring until you get the shield deflector module which should give you more HP to work with.

I prefer Nia in the first mate slot because her stats gives you more mobility and faster recharge. Lots of people really love the heal from Kira though. It's up to you and more of a playstyle choice.

Ok, I'm getting a better sense of positioning myself with clever dodges and "playing chicken" with the enemy fleets. I beat that on random battle that was ruining me by dodging their barrages and countering with my own. The enemies still did an inordinate amount of damage and would wreck Daisy first hit but I think I missed my dodge window there.

It's a complex game but I can see something really attractive underneath. I think as upgrades and crew options open up to me I'll be all about it. Thanks for your help, you've pretty much helped me get untangled.

EDIT: it happened again. The problem is the Normal Attack on these random ships is like one of my Barrages. It hits 6 times for 30ish damage each time and completely destroys me. Hope I can get an upgraded ship design soon. Even with that S Frame I get annihilated.

EDIT 2: Ok, neat thing, was flying around practicing battles against those black ships when I docked at a port and recieved a message that my guys apparently researched an upgrade to my ship design and gave me a choice between I think Anti Ship, Anti Air and Weapon Range. What made that happen and how can I make it happen again?

EDIT 3: Is there any advantage to crewing a ship over the minimum crew required? I assume it would be a boost to readiness or whatever makes you gain AP faster.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 21, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

EDIT 2: Ok, neat thing, was flying around practicing battles against those black ships when I docked at a port and recieved a message that my guys apparently researched an upgrade to my ship design and gave me a choice between I think Anti Ship, Anti Air and Weapon Range. What made that happen and how can I make it happen again?

EDIT 3: Is there any advantage to crewing a ship over the minimum crew required? I assume it would be a boost to readiness or whatever makes you gain AP faster.
Basically your fleet always has an R&D team researching improvements to the model of ship that serves as your flagship. If you want to increase the rate at which research happens, you just add more R&D labs or whatever modules increase the SCI stat. Research values increment as you travel around, it's simply a function of distance. It's more like a perk than something you build around but it's there in case you like a particular model ship.

Crew quarters usually add to livability in addition to your crew amount. Livability helps slow the rate at which fatigue builds up when traveling around, which negates the fatigue penalty. You don't receive a direct bonus though if you are at zero fatigue or anything, I think. Also if you take crew damage in battle then the "reserve" crew will take their places so you don't take any penalties. Generally I never bothered crewing above the minimum - there are much better livability modules later on and a good cook and such helps out a ton (Kira is fabulous cook). I honestly don't remember ever having crew issues during battle.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Basically your fleet always has an R&D team researching improvements to the model of ship that serves as your flagship. If you want to increase the rate at which research happens, you just add more R&D labs or whatever modules increase the SCI stat. Research values increment as you travel around, it's simply a function of distance. It's more like a perk than something you build around but it's there in case you like a particular model ship.

Crew quarters usually add to livability in addition to your crew amount. Livability helps slow the rate at which fatigue builds up when traveling around, which negates the fatigue penalty. You don't receive a direct bonus though if you are at zero fatigue or anything, I think. Also if you take crew damage in battle then the "reserve" crew will take their places so you don't take any penalties. Generally I never bothered crewing above the minimum - there are much better livability modules later on and a good cook and such helps out a ton (Kira is fabulous cook). I honestly don't remember ever having crew issues during battle.

I built around ship efficacy and kept Nia as my 1st Officer. Kira is my cook and that has worked out well. I put Tatiana as her second and my fatigue increases at a waaaaay reduced rate so that's nice. I still dock everywhere I can so I can regen and save.

I did some experimentation in random battles and I think I get the battle system now. There are a lot of little things to look at but you get used to some of them with time and don't have to spend as much time looking at your weapon blocks to see if you're in range of all weapons or whatever. I keep losing the Daisy to Barrages but it's up front so who cares I guess.

I am still in Chapter 2 trying to save up for that expensive ship the Military gives you. I'm running around in randoms pretty much crushing them so about 3 more of the 3 ship battles and I'm done. When I do that, should I put my current destroyer up front and replace the Daisy? It can only take about one hit from the random battle cap ships anyway.

EDIT: Also on the subject of editing the fleet: I've been reading the Help topics and they mention populating your fleet with different ships to make up for the shortcomings of your ship. Do the extra ships just modify the stats of your main, controlled ship? Or are other ships literally just extra hit points to put in front of your own?

EDIT 2: I think crew number might only really be an issue if you do melee battles (which I try to avoid) so maybe I'll play with that and see.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 21, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

When I do that, should I put my current destroyer up front and replace the Daisy? It can only take about one hit from the random battle cap ships anyway.

EDIT: Also on the subject of editing the fleet: I've been reading the Help topics and they mention populating your fleet with different ships to make up for the shortcomings of your ship. Do the extra ships just modify the stats of your main, controlled ship? Or are other ships literally just extra hit points to put in front of your own?

EDIT 2: I think crew number might only really be an issue if you do melee battles (which I try to avoid) so maybe I'll play with that and see.
You'll probably want to put your new destroyer in the front of your fleet so it has better accuracy and can tank hits. You can either make the Destroyer your flagship so you get R&D bonuses or keep your older slightly outdated flagship so you don't lose the fight immediately if your new Destroyer dies, assuming you keep your flagship behind the destroyer in formation.

Oh yeah. I forgot your crew count counts for your ground based melee battles too, which are actually non-trivial fights after a certain point in the game. I definitely remember overstocking crew count later on. Honestly the crew quarter modules eventually just explode in size and you end up just filling random spaces with them.

Yeah, which stats are ship-specific and fleet-wide is kind of non-intuitive. Generally non-direct combat stats like livability, accounting, experience+, etc are fleet-wide. The very basic combat stats like HP, AS, AA, etc are ship specific. The one that throws people for a loop is Attack Range. Attack Range is actually fleet wide, so you only need one ship to have a radar room (unless you want a backup in case the ship dies). Weapon Range is still ship specific though.

All ships are individuals though when it comes to combat. I think there are modules that may boost stats of your flagship indirectly, but I can't quite recall. My memory is kind of hazy but I do believe only flagships can use super weapons if they have them (like a giant yamato cannon or w/e). Generally though you build a fleet just like you build a party in an RPG. Modules are honestly the most important thing though so make sure to always look at the available module space when you are deciding on what ships to build.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

You'll probably want to put your new destroyer in the front of your fleet so it has better accuracy and can tank hits. You can either make the Destroyer your flagship so you get R&D bonuses or keep your older slightly outdated flagship so you don't lose the fight immediately if your new Destroyer dies, assuming you keep your flagship behind the destroyer in formation.

Oh yeah. I forgot your crew count counts for your ground based melee battles too, which are actually non-trivial fights after a certain point in the game. I definitely remember overstocking crew count later on. Honestly the crew quarter modules eventually just explode in size and you end up just filling random spaces with them.

Yeah, which stats are ship-specific and fleet-wide is kind of non-intuitive. Generally non-direct combat stats like livability, accounting, experience+, etc are fleet-wide. The very basic combat stats like HP, AS, AA, etc are ship specific. The one that throws people for a loop is Attack Range. Attack Range is actually fleet wide, so you only need one ship to have a radar room (unless you want a backup in case the ship dies). Weapon Range is still ship specific though.

All ships are individuals though when it comes to combat. I think there are modules that may boost stats of your flagship indirectly, but I can't quite recall. My memory is kind of hazy but I do believe only flagships can use super weapons if they have them (like a giant yamato cannon or w/e). Generally though you build a fleet just like you build a party in an RPG. Modules are honestly the most important thing though so make sure to always look at the available module space when you are deciding on what ships to build.

I'm going to have to get far enough to play with more ships before I keep asking questions, I think. You can only control your flagship, right? The rest are just there and provide passive bonuses and potential shielding from attacks. Once I build the new ship that can replace the Daisy pretty easily as a shield and I keep the S-Frame on my primary ship, right?

I really do like this game the more I play. I'm not any tougher now than I was against those random battles than I was when they were wiping the floor with me but I can pretty handily beat them every time now. A strong strategy and an understanding of the mechanics go a long way and the better you get, the simpler it all feels.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
You are controlling all of your ships, but they all get the same order.
For example, once you get carriers, you can issue an order to launch fighters
even when your flagship isn't a carrier (or other fighter-capable ship).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OddObserver posted:

You are controlling all of your ships, but they all get the same order.
For example, once you get carriers, you can issue an order to launch fighters
even when your flagship isn't a carrier (or other fighter-capable ship).

I'm starting to see that. I didn't realize that when I fire, all my ships fire and such. I upgraded my flagship to that awesome military destroyer in Chapter 2 and put my old destroyer in front. Between the two, not much can take a Normal attack let alone a Barrage.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Do boss battles scale with your level in FFT: WotL? I think it's like TO where random battles scale but randoms are at a set level but I don't remember.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Do boss battles scale with your level in FFT: WotL? I think it's like TO where random battles scale but randoms are at a set level but I don't remember.

Story fights don't scale, except for maybe a few random monsters.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Dragon Quest X trailer from Nintendo Direct looked great.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Another Infinite Space question: I'm getting into Ch 3 and now I can have 3 ships. I also have multiple types of ships available, including a Battleship that is twice the cost of anything else (and way out of my price range). How should I start stocking my fleet? Stay with the same kind of ship or branch out and have one of everything? What type should be my flagship?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

Another Infinite Space question: I'm getting into Ch 3 and now I can have 3 ships. I also have multiple types of ships available, including a Battleship that is twice the cost of anything else (and way out of my price range). How should I start stocking my fleet? Stay with the same kind of ship or branch out and have one of everything? What type should be my flagship?
Flagship should always be either the most survivable ship you got because it's gameover if it dies or a ship that has a special weapon on it that you want to use. Don't think you have any of the latter types yet so plant yourself on the battleship. It should benefit from R&D anyway should you want to grind money for other stuff.

Keep in mind you can sell your ships for a lot of money (80% of your value or something) which really shaves a lot off costs. Having one Borodino or whatever is really useful if/when you can afford it.

Battleships can use L sized weapons (not that you will have any good coices yet), destroyers make your fleet faster, cruisers can equip AA guns, carriers are optimized for fighters, and then support ships are for specialized support functions (most of the time you won't even know what they are unless you look at a FAQ, the game is kind of lame like that and most people will ignore them except one specific plot one)

Generally your fleet composition will probably be as good as your pocket book/willingness to grind. Battleships are great, carriers are great, destroyers and cruisers can be all right. You usually end up using destroyers in place of battleships/carriers when you just need to upgrade but can't afford more battleships, carriers, or modules (unless you really want some speed/AA, up to your playstyle). Honestly you can't get very fancy with fleet composition until you have all your slots. At 3 slots and before carriers you are basically looking at just maximizing damage/defense with the money you got so just try to keep all your slots as modern as possible.

And always look at the blueprints for module space. There are a lot of ships that are priced more expensively but end up being stinkers due to bad blueprint design (it's really obvious in carriers). The main reason the Borodino is so good is because it's got a lot of space to go along with its battle stats. Get used to being poor too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Flagship should always be either the most survivable ship you got because it's gameover if it dies or a ship that has a special weapon on it that you want to use. Don't think you have any of the latter types yet so plant yourself on the battleship. It should benefit from R&D anyway should you want to grind money for other stuff.

Keep in mind you can sell your ships for a lot of money (80% of your value or something) which really shaves a lot off costs. Having one Borodino or whatever is really useful if/when you can afford it.

Battleships can use L sized weapons (not that you will have any good coices yet), destroyers make your fleet faster, cruisers can equip AA guns, carriers are optimized for fighters, and then support ships are for specialized support functions (most of the time you won't even know what they are unless you look at a FAQ, the game is kind of lame like that and most people will ignore them except one specific plot one)

Generally your fleet composition will probably be as good as your pocket book/willingness to grind. Battleships are great, carriers are great, destroyers and cruisers can be all right. You usually end up using destroyers in place of battleships/carriers when you just need to upgrade but can't afford more battleships, carriers, or modules (unless you really want some speed/AA, up to your playstyle). Honestly you can't get very fancy with fleet composition until you have all your slots. At 3 slots and before carriers you are basically looking at just maximizing damage/defense with the money you got so just try to keep all your slots as modern as possible.

And always look at the blueprints for module space. There are a lot of ships that are priced more expensively but end up being stinkers due to bad blueprint design (it's really obvious in carriers). The main reason the Borodino is so good is because it's got a lot of space to go along with its battle stats. Get used to being poor too.

Great, ok. My flagship is currently the Orfey but I'll swap it to the Bordino which is now in my front row. I swapped out my early Destroyer for a Cruiser with Fighter capacity but I'm not sure how that works. Do I have to trigger an event to get access to fighters? There are no options for me to take under the Onboards menu.

I have been playing with the battle system and I'm pretty comfortable with most battles aside from Boss battles. The pirate base invasion in Ch 3 is super annoying. I ended up using Gen's special ability to isolate the flagship then barrage it quickly to end the battles. Otherwise my Bordino was done in one salvo every time.

I've been grinding a bit here and there but it seems as you progress there is so much travel associated with jobs that it's almost unnecessary, at least in the technology lulls where you're riding old ships and nothing new is coming down the pipe.

Are there any ships in particular to look out for in a given class? When do I get my next ship slot too?

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Dude, I was able to perform an appendectomy at age 14. I think I can handle a couple of shrooms.
I've been through a few pages of this thread, and I still haven't seen anyone mention Chrono Trigger. I think it is still one of the best games I've ever played.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

Do I have to trigger an event to get access to fighters? There are no options for me to take under the Onboards menu.

I ended up using Gen's special ability to isolate the flagship then barrage it quickly to end the battles.

Are there any ships in particular to look out for in a given class? When do I get my next ship slot too?
Fighters have blueprints associated with them. When you get blueprints, you can build the fighters. There are interceptor types, bomber types, and multi-role types. You'll see them later on (chapter 5 or 6'ish, can't remember exactly).

That's pretty much what you're supposed to do there and why he joins when he does.

You'll be riding Borodinos for a very long time, basically swapping one of your destroyers for a Borodino when you get enough money. The next ships you'll get are choices between some carriers if you want to play with them. Whether the first carriers you get are worth replacing Borodinos is debateable, but you might want to play with them. Way later in the game on keep an eye open for Junkyards (~7k fame) and Agrells.

What ships you end up with though later on really depends on the routes you take. There's quite a big diversity. You'll be stuck with three ships for a very long time now so get used to it. I think you get the final two slots at the same time after some really heavy plot stuff. Don't worry about missing the slots, they're given to you via plot.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
So I need more Monster Raising in my life, and when I look on I see that Digimon and Dragon Quest: Monsters are probably the only things left to visit in that genre for me (RIP Monster Rancher, RIP Spectrobes).

Where should I start with these games? Should I start on Digimon World PSX? Or the DS games? What about DQ:M, as someone who has never played a Dragon Quest game before? Should I go straight to 2? Wait for the 3DS game to be localized?

e: I do have FF13-2 (thanks $20 gamestop sale!), but I'm not sure if that counts.
e2: I don't have a 360, so Viva Pinata is out as I can't quite yet justify purchasing a system for the one game.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Digimon's an oddity. Pretty much every game is completely different. The first Digimon World has you raising one semi-autonomous guy at a time while dealing with obscure and unexplained mechanics. The second is vaguely roguelike-ish (random dungeons with something like a food mechanic) with teams of digimon to raise. The third digimon world is basically a pokemon game without the catching aspect. You get a team of 3 that only fight one at a time and go through a rather long story. Data Squad on PS2 is similar, but with this weird emotion mechanic that determines what skills you can actually use in battle. It's very heavily based on the fifth season of the anime but doesn't assume you've watched it. Dawn and Dusk on the DS have the whole pokemon catch em all thing going on and a battle system with a position gimmick.

I haven't played much of DMW DS or DMW4, from what I gather you train up teams of digimon with the whole pet raising style of the first game. Unfortunately, there hasn't been anything but a KMMO released in English since 08.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 24, 2012