Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

bouncyman posted:

Do you mind if I ask you your stats? I scored a 740 on the GMAT and didn't get in. I'm wondering if it was my essays that weren't good enough, or my lovely (2.5 in Computer Science) GPA.
removed

Spook fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

I was accepted this year, but I'd rather not post all my stats in public. Can you enable private messaging?

Don't worry about it Small White Dragon. I appreciate the effort, but was more to satisfy my curiosity. Email address is username at gmail though if you want to chat. Thanks for the info spook. I think my recommendations were pretty good. Ah I guess it doesn't matter. I'm starting at your rival school in the fall.
If anyone has any questions, I'd more than happy to answer them. Feel free to email me as well.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Buck up. When I looked at placement and estimated salary last year, the delta between Marshall and Anderson was like 3k.

Are you doing any courses at the Orange County campus?

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Buck up. When I looked at placement and estimated salary last year, the delta between Marshall and Anderson was like 3k.

Are you doing any courses at the Orange County campus?

Yeah I'm not depressed about it or anything, just curious as to how big of a differential my stats were compared to someone who got in. I'm not planning to take any OC campus classes right now, but I might be down there for some happy hours with that group.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Well it looks like I'm in the final stages of applying to UNR's EMBA program. I've got all my letters of recommendation, my personal statement, and all of my transcripts ordered and/or delivered to UNR. The only thing now is to take the GMAT which is scheduled for July 6th. I've got study materials and I plan on digging in starting on Saturday!

I'm not too concerned about the reading comprehension portion; I should do rather well on that. For now I'm trying to get a feel for how the questions are formatted so I'm not taken by surprise when I sit down to the computer.

I'm kind of surprised that it's an adaptive test where you can't go back and change previous answers. I usually tend to skip the questions I'm unsure about and go to the questions I can answer, then work my way back through knowing how much time I have left.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Maybe this has been asked but are schools usually understanding about not getting a letter of recommendation from a current employer? I'd just rather not inform my boss that I'm wanting to go back to school. The bad part is that my current job will be the longest job that I've had... we are just a two-person company so I can't ask anyone else to do it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Are you quitting your job? If so you'll eventually have to tell him/her anyway.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

zmcnulty posted:

Are you quitting your job? If so you'll eventually have to tell him/her anyway.

My situation is a little complicated. I'm an American and I currently work in Paris. My work visa is tied to this company so if I lost this job I would't have the right to work in France anymore (my wife also work here so I'd rather not have to go back to the US). I'm the only employee and my boss lives in the south of France. I'm the one who does the day-to-day stuff in the city so if I left she would have to find someone to replace me ASAP. Additionally, I have to renew my visa at the start of the year (which is a paperwork nightmare in France) so she probably would not want to go through the hassle (and cost) of doing all that if she through I would be leaving the company.

I'm looking at MBA programs in/near Paris so if I don't get accepted then I'd probably keep working and continue looking for a new job.

Omits-Bagels fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 20, 2012

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Omits-Bagels posted:

My situation is a little complicated.

Your explanation sounds reasonable to me, so it should probably sound reasonable to an admissions officer. I would be as upfront as possible during the application process to ensure your application doesn’t hit the trash for a stupid reason.

Another thing to keep in mind is that countries have different expectations regarding letters of recommendation. In Germany, for example, I would go so far to say it is suspicious if you don’t have a letter of recommendation from a former employer. Although a competent HR/admissions office will compensate for the cultural differences when considering, for example, an American candidate, I would recommend trying to conform to the cultural expectations of the country of the program to which you are applying if at all possible. You don’t want to leave your future up to the cross-cultural understanding of whoever happens to review your application.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I have the same problem, only in China. I can get decent letters from my US employers, which I hope will help. My current job has thus far refused to sponsor a work visa after seven months, I'm not sure whether to include this or not. It could make the job seem like a fly by night operation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

menino posted:

I have the same problem, only in China. I can get decent letters from my US employers, which I hope will help. My current job has thus far refused to sponsor a work visa after seven months, I'm not sure whether to include this or not. It could make the job seem like a fly by night operation.

What if anything do you know about grad schools in China, and whether it's a bad idea? Anyhow, I'll be interested to hear how your process goes.

Also, I am in your situation. ESL?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

VideoTapir posted:

What if anything do you know about grad schools in China, and whether it's a bad idea? Anyhow, I'll be interested to hear how your process goes.

Also, I am in your situation. ESL?

Sorry, I should have specified, I'm applying to schools in the US only, which is why I'm probably not going to miss that Chinese LOR too much. I currently work for a state owned shipping company as the English monkey, and wouldn't get a good letter anyway (pettiness seems to be a major commodity at this company).

CEIBS gets good reviews as do a few schools in Hong Kong. Other than that I'm not sure about programs, but I know a lot of them do partnerships with American schools.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A state owned company won't get you a legal visa? WTF?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

VideoTapir posted:

A state owned company won't get you a legal visa? WTF?

:sigh:

I know. there are days i just think about not coming into work anymore.

frieze
Dec 28, 2004

art that goes squeak in the night

Thanks for your answer! Much appreciated.

Here's another question. My mom and step-dad have a law firm, and my grandma just wrote a new book - they're both paying me to help them with their marketing. I've been working on website design, SEO, social media, fixing some branding issues, etc. I was thinking about trying to find some additional, non-family freelance work but, seeing as I also work full-time, it might be slow in coming.

Do you think this is substantial enough to add to my application?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
How long do people usually study for the GMAT? 2-3 months of 10-15 hours a week?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That depends on a lot. Is english your native language? Are you good at math/logic? What kind of score do you consider acceptable? All that matters.

As a native english speaker with an engineering background, I probably studied for around 20 hours total. Took the first practice test from the GMAT website, brushed up on the weak points, and took the second practice test. But I was just shooting for a part time program at a state university. So there wasn't exactly a lot of pressure involved.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
What would a person with a ChemE degree and an MBA do? One of my friends is starry eyed and thinks it would be awesome but I keep telling him he's just upset he isn't making $85,000/year out of undergrad like UVa promised he would.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

GreenCard78 posted:

What would a person with a ChemE degree and an MBA do? One of my friends is starry eyed and thinks it would be awesome but I keep telling him he's just upset he isn't making $85,000/year out of undergrad like UVa promised he would.

It would potentially place you into a fast track career path in industries like Chemicals and Pharma. Additionally, it would be very applicable in any science/engineering focused industry, including everything from Energy to Automobiles.

Besides that, it shows dedication and a capacity for handling stress and sacrifice.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How about a couple of degrees in Asian languages and a Master of Library Science?

Maybe they'll let me sweep the floors.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 4, 2012

MisL
Apr 20, 2008
There was a question a while back about not having a letter from a current employer. That is ok - companies understand that you might not want your current employer to know that youre applying. If at all possible however, try to get one not from your direct manager but someone else in the company who you have worked for (and is senior to you). This is what I did and it worked out just fine.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
I have a question for MBA goons... I am startingq work for a major defense contractor in a couple months. I think an MBA might help my career progression.

My dilemma is that I can get an MBA from a state school for 100% free ( although I already have a BA and an MS (non-business) from this school). Or I can get an MBA from an expensive top 50 school that is in my new town.

Is a pseudo name brand MBA worth the money (50k) over a FREE state school MBA?

MisL
Apr 20, 2008

Velochis posted:

I have a question for MBA goons... I am startingq work for a major defense contractor in a couple months. I think an MBA might help my career progression.

My dilemma is that I can get an MBA from a state school for 100% free ( although I already have a BA and an MS (non-business) from this school). Or I can get an MBA from an expensive top 50 school that is in my new town.

How pseudo brand name are we talking? Both part-time programs I assume?

The free state school degree is from scholarship or are you being sponsored by your employer?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

Will work pay for the expensive school if you wait a year or two?

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
I will just say it is between 45 and 65 on the usnews top MBA list. I can actually get enough assistance to cut the cost down to about 20k from 52k full price. Still, is a mid tier school worth 20k over a free state school?

State school is online only, and the local one I am looking at is a 16 one five hour class per week kind of deal. Either way I would be working full time.

I have employer assistance and some gi bill left for either school. The state school is free because I am a combat vet and they give free tuition to combat vets who live(d) in state.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Sounds like a government type job where MBA is just a checkbox for higher salary. If so don't pay for it. I don't think a top 50 would be worth it either

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I would wait a year to see which one your employer values more. 45-65 probably isn't going to offer you much, if any, more name recognition than state school.

Also, are you sure that your employer won't pay the full price of the better school? I work in the defense industry and most employers in the industry have a set amount they will pay per year. So you might have to stretch it out over an extra year or two, but you probably could still get it totally covered. I've never seen anything along the lines of "We will pay a lifetime max of $XXXX". It's always just "$XXXX per year"

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 6, 2012

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope

Thoguh posted:

I would wait a year to see which one your employer values more. 45-65 probably isn't going to offer you much, if any, more name recognition than state school.

Also, are you sure that your employer won't pay the full price of the better school? I work in the defense industry and most employers in the industry have a set amount they will pay per year. So you might have to stretch it out over an extra year or two, but you probably could still get it totally covered. I've never seen anything along the lines of "We will pay a lifetime max of $XXXX". It's always just "$XXXX per year"

Yeah it is a fixed amount per year. The issue is that the expensive evening school I am looking at is a structured kind of thing. There are no semesters per se, but it starts on one day and 15 months later you finish. So it is not like I could stretch it out as far as I know.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

Yeah it is a fixed amount per year. The issue is that the expensive evening school I am looking at is a structured kind of thing. There are no semesters per se, but it starts on one day and 15 months later you finish. So it is not like I could stretch it out as far as I know.

That sounds like an Executive MBA program. Do they not offer an evening MBA as well?

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
I am referring to the evening MBA. Am I incorrect in thinking it is a structured thing that cannot be spread out for company tuition purposes? Obviously best thing I could do would be get my job to pay for expensive school.

MisL
Apr 20, 2008
I'd go for the more expensive school if you can get it paid for, lesser if not. As previous posters have said the name recognition difference isn't going to be that huge. Definitely not 50k huge. Why not just call the more expensive school and explain the situation? I can't imagine you're the first to have this issue and they might have a suggestion.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

I am referring to the evening MBA. Am I incorrect in thinking it is a structured thing that cannot be spread out for company tuition purposes? Obviously best thing I could do would be get my job to pay for expensive school.

Different schools do it differently so it is very possible that you are understanding them perfectly correctly. But when I hear 15 month program I think a cohort, taking at least a few Fridays off a month, and maybe even an international trip involved. All marks of an Executive MBA program.

When I hear part time or evening MBA I think giving up one or two weeknights (or Saturdays) a week for 2-5 years while working full time.

Somebody can correct me if I'm off on this, but that was my experience when I was searching for schools and getting my part time MBA.

Your average MBA is around 15 classes or so. And a 3 credit class requires 40 hours of contact time. So to get it done in 15 months you'd need to average 40 hours every single month of class time, and that doesn't even touch on homework and projects.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2012

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Thoguh posted:

Different schools do it differently so it is very possible that you are understanding them perfectly correctly. But when I hear 15 month program I think a cohort, taking at least a few Fridays off a month, and maybe even an international trip involved. All marks of an Executive MBA program.

When I hear part time or evening MBA I think giving up one or two weeknights (or Saturdays) a week for 2-5 years while working full time.

Somebody can correct me if I'm off on this, but that was my experience when I was searching for schools and getting my part time MBA.

Your average MBA is around 15 classes or so. And a 3 credit class requires 40 hours of contact time. So to get it done in 15 months you'd need to average 40 hours every single month of class time, and that does even touch on homework and projects.

A few of the places around me that have part-time MBA programs are similar - cohort-like structures and international trips (although those are sometimes restricted to the full-time programs).

One even has an evening program with FOUR residencies. That one's a pretty high-ranking b-school, though. Top 25, I believe.

MisL
Apr 20, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Your average MBA is around 15 classes or so. And a 3 credit class requires 40 hours of contact time. So to get it done in 15 months you'd need to average 40 hours every single month of class time, and that does even touch on homework and projects.

I think it depends on the school, but the shortest length I have seen for a part-time program is right around two years. I would agree with you.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Just finished my GMAT... I scored in the 87th percentile for verbal but I tanked hard on the math and ended up with an extremely average 560. Will having scored poorly on the math portion be a consideration to business schools or do they only care about the final score?

MisL
Apr 20, 2008

Drewski posted:

Just finished my GMAT... I scored in the 87th percentile for verbal but I tanked hard on the math and ended up with an extremely average 560. Will having scored poorly on the math portion be a consideration to business schools or do they only care about the final score?

Unfortunately no, the quant section is weighted more heavily than the verbal portion. To be competitive you should really have both scores be equivalent but if you skew one way quant definitely needs to be higher so you don't call your analytical ability into question.

If it makes you feel any better, I had the same problem first time around.  

MisL fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 7, 2012

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I skewed heavily verbal, I think different schools are looking for different things. The overall score might be more important than the breakdown depending on the program.

MisL
Apr 20, 2008

Tyro posted:

I skewed heavily verbal, I think different schools are looking for different things. The overall score might be more important than the breakdown depending on the program.

But were there other balancing factors in your app like quantitative work experience, math undergrad etc? I don't think there is a program where a low quant score isn't going to raise a flag, its just a question of whether or not you have other qualities that can mitigate it.

If you have a combined score of 700 and the schools average is 600 then no, you're right it probably doesn't matter as much. But if you score a 600 and the quant is weak, that is a problem.

BLaH247
Aug 22, 2008

MisL posted:

I don't think there is a program where a low quant score isn't going to raise a flag, its just a question of whether or not you have other qualities that can mitigate it.

I know some top tier schools that have waived the GMAT requirements based on the students current job. My Senior Vice President didn't need to sit for the GMAT to get into Georgetown's Full-time MBA program. I think they factored in that he runs a P&L of $300M and has around 600 staff in his org. The knowledge and experience that someone like this will bring into the classrooms is a huge benefit.

I received my MBA from a different private university and they weren't too concerned with my GMAT scores. I think it just had to be higher than maybe 540. They were more interested in what I had been doing since undergrad. Now that I think of it I don't think there was a single person in my program that came straight from undergrad. Most everyone was late 20's to early 30's.

Anyone looking for an MBA in the interest of changing careers or getting a new job I would advise to stay clear of Online programs. During an interview I literally had to explain what a cash flow statement and balance sheet was to someone who claimed to have received his MBA from University of Phoenix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Drewski posted:

I did much better on the verbal than quant (although my final score was higher) and I was accepted to UCLA.

Oddly, when I took the GRE, it was the other way around. Oh well.