Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soonmot posted:

I've got 250 on Tarquin turning into an anti-hero once he finds out Xykon's plan is to destroy the world.

I'll take that (as in I don't think he will, he'll be in it as a separate evil villain rather than working with the OOTS - is that what you meant?)

And lay 250 on V getting possessed by one of the fiends within the next ten strips.

And another 250 on Belkar never leaving the temple (secret base, pyramid, whatever) alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sebmojo posted:

And lay 250 on V getting possessed by one of the fiends within the next ten strips.

And another 250 on Belkar never leaving the temple (secret base, pyramid, whatever) alive.
I will take both those bets. This isn't the final dungeon you think it is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnAndy posted:

I will take both those bets. This isn't the final dungeon you think it is.

Done.

Belkar has been on deathwatch for ages, so it would be very surprising if he makes it to the next book. And the logic of the fiends intervening now is, if not inarguable, at least convincing.

YOUR GOONYBUX SHALL BE MINE, SUH.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you're willing to double up I'd also like in on the ten strips bet. That smacks of a move to be made right at the climax of the current arc, and we're a lot more than ten pages out from that, Xykon hasn't even shown up yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

sebmojo posted:

Done.

Belkar has been on deathwatch for ages, so it would be very surprising if he makes it to the next book. And the logic of the fiends intervening now is, if not inarguable, at least convincing.

YOUR GOONYBUX SHALL BE MINE, SUH.
I would not have taken the bet on V if you'd said "before the end of this arc". Next ten strips, though? I think I've got your money.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
:siren: New Strip! :siren:
I guess you had to be there

I feel like something important is being set up here, but I'm not sure which thing it is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love Qarr's reaction. That's great.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Amateur Sketch posted:

I feel like something important is being set up here, but I'm not sure which thing it is.

Yeah, my heads pinging like crazy but damned if I know about what

Also Ha at the imp

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

I'll take that (as in I don't think he will, he'll be in it as a separate evil villain rather than working with the OOTS - is that what you meant?)

I'll take the Belkar Bet, but I agree with you on the possession.

For Tarquin, it's not that he becomes a good guy, but that he'll work with the Order to bring down Xykon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok you know what? I'm going to make a prediction here:
Tarquin will be put in a situation where he has to choose whether he continues with his original plan of doing evil stuff, dying, and becoming a legend, or having to sacrifice himself to save Elan's life and perish in obscurity.
It's dramatic, ironic, and would be totally in line with Tarquin's apparent love for Elan.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Soonmot posted:

I'll take the Belkar Bet, but I agree with you on the possession.
You can't have it, it's mine.

I'll take 250 of your moneys if you want to bet me too on the possession. 9 strips to go :getin:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnAndy posted:

I would not have taken the bet on V if you'd said "before the end of this arc". Next ten strips, though? I think I've got your money.

AUDACES FORTUNA JUVAT

V's gotta wake up at some point soon, and I'm guessing it'll be the fiends that do it.

I won't double up on it, though - 250 imaginary spondulicks seems right for a long bet.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 21, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amateur Sketch posted:

:siren: New Strip! :siren:
I guess you had to be there

Definitely. Thinking out loud, the succubus is working for the fiends. So whatever she's trying to get Nale to do is what they want - currently it's to ignore his suspicions and keep working with his dad. And his dad's aiming to ... what? Get control of the gate - why?

Hm, it suddenly occurs to me that if Malack were on their side, and with (x minutes, y seconds) of V's time, the fiends have both a high level arcane and divine caster available. And with Elan, they have something that Tarquin would possibly not want to lose. And Tarquin and Malack have a 'no questions asked' support agreement. And if Nale knows about the ritual, then so does Sabine. Who's on the side of the fiends.

HmmMMMmmmm.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 21, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Calaveron posted:

Ok you know what? I'm going to make a prediction here:
Tarquin will be put in a situation where he has to choose whether he continues with his original plan of doing evil stuff, dying, and becoming a legend, or having to sacrifice himself to save Elan's life and perish in obscurity.
It's dramatic, ironic, and would be totally in line with Tarquin's apparent love for Elan.

I'll take that bet, if you want to make it one.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Amateur Sketch posted:

It has already been spelled out for us. Tarquin and Malack are doing what they've been doing for decades - supporting an incompetent leader until he inevitably screws up and offs himself, profiting all the while. They've just substituted Nale for the fat red dragon temporarily on this side quest. They don't even have to discuss it or even say that's what they're going to do because it's second nature to them now. Malack is content with this situation because he knows what's going to happen to Nale. Tarquin is content because he gets to see both his sons in action until Nale bites it. There is no way things can go wrong for him, which is par for the course.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vorgen posted:

There is no way things can go wrong for him, which is par for the course.

Except this time, for the first time, the other side knows what his game is.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

ConfusedUs posted:

I love Qarr's reaction. That's great.

That was my favorite part too. He's exactly the person to find that hysterical, and why not? How often do you get to be witness to that level of epic gently caress up?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is he going to explain it, though? He's serving his master as a familiar and his master is trying to complete Nale's goal of taking control of the pyramid, knowing that the guardians of the pyramid have been killed by epic magic would be useful in knowing that the pyramid's going to be even easier to take.

Then again this scene might be enough that if later Nale's group talks about the illusionists they can assume they were killed without spelling out for us that they know that because the imp told them. Yeesh what a clumsy sentence. You know what I mean.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That was my favorite part too. He's exactly the person to find that hysterical, and why not? How often do you get to be witness to that level of epic gently caress up?

It depends on how regularly you play Dungeons and Dragons.

...or any Cavia game.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

DrakePegasus posted:

...or any Cavia game.

I've played a fair amount of D&D and that's got to be one of the biggest gently caress ups I've ever seen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DrakePegasus posted:

...or any Cavia game.

Well, obliterating hundreds of people in a bit of misaimed revenge certainly is Cavia-brand murderlunacy, isn't it?

Not to mention, massive dragon genocide.

Hell, this IS from a Cavia game!

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Speedball posted:

Well, obliterating hundreds of people in a bit of misaimed revenge certainly is Cavia-brand murderlunacy, isn't it?

It wasn't misaimed revenge. It was a preemptive strike to prevent further attacks on V's family.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

sebmojo posted:

And if Nale knows about the ritual, then so does Sabine. Who's on the side of the fiends.

HmmMMMmmmm.
Knowing about the ritual and knowing the ritual are two different things. I think Redcloak is still the only one to know the divine half.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

NihilCredo posted:

Knowing about the ritual and knowing the ritual are two different things. I think Redcloak is still the only one to know the divine half.

Which was Nale's pitch to Tarquin and Malack....that only he (Nale) could convince Xykon and Redcloak to give them the ritual. Which is a bluff, of course, because it's likely that Xykon doesn't even remember Nale, and Redcloak has no reason to give the divine half of the ritual to anyone at all.

Hmm...now that I think of it, I figure there's at least a 50-50 chance that Tarquin and Malack not only betray Nale, but then offer to switch sides and work for Xykon so they can pull their usual scheme on him.

Indeed, I like that idea so much that I'll put up 250 GoonBux that Tarquin at least tries to join Team Evil before the end of the book. No bet on whether or not he succeeds, though given how easily Tsukiko got to join, I like his chances.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tinyn posted:

It wasn't misaimed revenge. It was a preemptive strike to prevent further attacks on V's family.

There's no reason it can't be both of those things. He doesn't need to know it was misaimed for it to be misaimed.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, does anyone else find the fact that the zombies are talking a little suspicious? I don't remember other mass-raised zombies in the comic talking before, and the second panel with them talking and repeating "by accident" and "find the gate" smells like Rich engaging in some foreshadowing :raise:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think they're mummies first of all.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I think they're mummies, too, not zombies. These guys still have their eyes X'd out, zombies have regular eyes.

Compare against the zombies in the crowd at the bottom of this one: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the main reason I said mummies is because Nale says they are mummies.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah they specifically said the corpses were mummified due to their unusual circumstances of preserving.

Pyrolocutus posted:

and the second panel with them talking and repeating "by accident" and "find the gate" smells like Rich engaging in some foreshadowing :raise:
They are repeating what Malack and Tarquin were saying, aren't they? And they were talking before Nale entered the room. Giving hints as to what they were discussing, I suppose.

Seems like really slick writing to me.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

And of course an abundance of mummies is a relatively rarer find than a pile of rotting corpses.

Do mummies get the fear aura or was that just NWN. Also, fear auras: incredibly unfun

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mummy.htm

Yup, will save to prevent paralyzation. With that many mummies in a pack, if they rush into the room with the heroes there's a decent chance everyone will fail at least one saving throw (even if that means rolling a 1) and even if absolutely everyone doesn't fail, those who do will simply be swarmed by mummies and coup'd to death.

Very credible threat. If it weren't for the fact most people save against everything in this.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ah right, forgotten they were mummies. Still seems a little unusual for them to be speaking, so maybe it still is some foreshadowing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mummy.htm

Yup, will save to prevent paralyzation. With that many mummies in a pack, if they rush into the room with the heroes there's a decent chance everyone will fail at least one saving throw (even if that means rolling a 1) and even if absolutely everyone doesn't fail, those who do will simply be swarmed by mummies and coup'd to death.

Very credible threat. If it weren't for the fact most people save against everything in this.

And no threat at all if you've got a mage with Fireball handy. Except, of course, their mage fell down and went BOOM. Again with the slick writing in using character beats to eliminate the one member of the party who could neutralize the mummies almost instantly so as to keep them a credible threat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jng2058 posted:

And no threat at all if you've got a mage with Fireball handy. Except, of course, their mage fell down and went BOOM. Again with the slick writing in using character beats to eliminate the one member of the party who could neutralize the mummies almost instantly so as to keep them a credible threat.

That's not slick writing, that's lazy writing. Everytime you want to challenge your party get rid of most powerful member. Slick writing would be to just use something actually a credible threat in the first place.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

greatn posted:

That's not slick writing, that's lazy writing. Everytime you want to challenge your party get rid of most powerful member. Slick writing would be to just use something actually a credible threat in the first place.

For a high-level 3.x Wizard, that's not really much. At the very least, it's not anything that would make the story interesting.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
It begins.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

greatn posted:

Nah, it's kinda slick. He's shackled by the fact that we the readers know A) What a mage can do in D&D 3.5, and B) that mummies are vulnerable to fire in D&D. Given those constraints, using V's personal character issues to take him out of the fight and wrong foot the party is a LOT more interesting than, say, having Malack cast Mass Resist Fire on all the mummies. Especially since the latter only solves the "mummies burn easy" problem while his actual solution not only puts the whole party at risk because their glass cannon is broken, but also opens up opportunities for V to come to the rescue, or for the first demon possession to happen...or both!

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

jng2058 posted:

Nah, it's kinda slick. He's shackled by the fact that we the readers know A) What a mage can do in D&D 3.5

Everything. A mage can do everything in 3.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's not like they have a cleric who can turn undead, has fire spells of his own, or tons of positive energy spells or anything.