Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
The technical support thread seems more geared towards videos and troubleshooting, so I'm hoping this is the correct place to ask about this; if not, I'll just delete this post and you can run me out of the subforum.

I'm thinking of finally adventuring into the LP world with the old Elder Scrolls DOS games, and I'm wondering if there's a preferred way to filter games with lots of blocky text. The D&D Gold Box thread doesn't use anything special, but it seems kind of hard on the eyes. Is there some general consensus about this?

Cygna fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Ratspeaker posted:

The technical support thread seems more geared towards videos and troubleshooting, so I'm hoping this is the correct place to ask about this; if not, I'll just delete this post and you can run me out of the subforum.

I'm thinking of finally adventuring into the LP world with the old Elder Scrolls DOS games, and I'm wondering if there's a preferred way to filter games with lots of blocky text. The D&D Gold Box thread doesn't use anything special, but it seems kind of hard on the eyes. These two methods seem to work pretty well:

[images]

Is there some general consensus about this?
Yes. You should avoid the use of filters.

This is from the first post in the Tech Support Fort:

MEAT! posted:

• Don't use filters when playing 2D games. They look like poo poo. This is fact.

Though to be honest the text in the older Elder Scrolls game was always kind of hard to read.
Perhaps someone else will have some ideas to share.

Captain Flame Guy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 20, 2012

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Thank you. I swear I read that post, I must have missed that, I'm sorry.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mezurya posted:

I will say to make those screenshots at least twice as big, though. It's hard to read that small.

Brainamp posted:

Second thing those screenshots are tiny. Can you make them at all bigger?

I like them at this size, but I think I can make them bigger.

Dragonatrix posted:

How about showing some actual gameplay, and how you expect to make a good SSLP out of a sidescrolling action game? That'd be a nice start. The mini paragraph on how you expect to do it is, uh, something but it doesn't give any indication of how good an idea it is in practice.

Right. As soon as I fix the screenshot size problem I'll do a mock update of a later section.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

Yesssssssss.

The advice you've already gotten is good, but I just want to put in a vote of excitement and support. This is an awesome game and you at least seem to know your Tezuka pretty well. I really hope you get this off the ground!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Double post, sorry. Something about a database error.

Edit:

Occultatio posted:

Yesssssssss.

The advice you've already gotten is good, but I just want to put in a vote of excitement and support. This is an awesome game and you at least seem to know your Tezuka pretty well. I really hope you get this off the ground!

Thanks for the support!

VVVV Edit 2:

Brainamp posted:

It's nice that you like them at that size, but you aren't making an lp for yourself.

Of course. Let me elaborate, as I might have come off as snide: I was going to enlarge the size of the images, but it would've required a little bit of extra time to parse through the images I'd already taken and enlarge them one by one. I was (over)eager to produce something, and plus, I've commonly found the images of some LP's to be too big, and I assumed there might be other people who have this problem but aren't vocal about it.

So I decided to keep them as-is and see what the reaction would be. Thanks to your feedback and that of others, I'll be sure to record larger images for SSLPs in the future.

kalel fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 20, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I like them at this size, but I think I can make them bigger.

It's nice that you like them at that size, but you aren't making an lp for yourself.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

SSLP of Astro Boy

You seem to have your Tezuka trivia right, which is good. Though I have to wonder why you would do a SSLP of a Treasure Game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Lance Streetman posted:

You seem to have your Tezuka trivia right, which is good. Though I have to wonder why you would do a SSLP of a Treasure Game.
From videos I was able to find of the game it doesn't seem like the most exciting platformer ever. It actually seemed pretty repetitive and dull.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Omega Factor sounds like it'd be pretty alright for an SSLP, actually. Most of the action is divided up into discrete rooms full of dudes to punch/laserblast.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Niggurath posted:

From videos I was able to find of the game it doesn't seem like the most exciting platformer ever. It actually seemed pretty repetitive and dull.

Discount Viscount posted:

Omega Factor sounds like it'd be pretty alright for an SSLP, actually. Most of the action is divided up into discrete rooms full of dudes to punch/laserblast.

In my head, I always saw an LP of Astro Boy as an SSLP. I wanted to present the plot and the background info about Tezuka, the Star System, etc. in a coherent manner. I know that I could always do post-commentary, editing, and scripting cues for a video, but honestly, the "gameplay" of AB:OF was never really the big draw of the game for me. I mean, sure, punching and lasering things is fun, but it gets repetitive (and I'm sure in a video of the game, the combat looks absolutely boring). The real meat of the game comes with the story and Tezuka's characters.

The way I view the game is not as a "Treasure game featuring Tezuka characters," but as a presentation of Tezuka's work as a video game. I don't want to have to sit through Astro punching (more or less) the same enemies while I talk about some interesting minor character we met 2 minutes ago, and I don't want to put viewers through that either. It detracts from the experience. I want viewers to develop an appreciation for Tezuka's work; the way I see this happening is if I disseminate information into paragraphs of facts with accompanying pictures.

I want to be very clear that I'm not dissing VLPs nor advocating SSLPs in general. In this instance, I want to present this game to goons as a SSLP, images and words separate, instead of as a VLP, where in this instance the combination of the two detracts from both.

Edit:

Also, please do not quote me and start an SSLP/VLP flame war. I'm terrified of those things.

kalel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 21, 2012

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Of course. Let me elaborate, as I might have come off as snide: I was going to enlarge the size of the images, but it would've required a little bit of extra time to parse through the images I'd already taken and enlarge them one by one. I was (over)eager to produce something, and plus, I've commonly found the images of some LP's to be too big, and I assumed there might be other people who have this problem but aren't vocal about it.

So I decided to keep them as-is and see what the reaction would be. Thanks to your feedback and that of others, I'll be sure to record larger images for SSLPs in the future.

I have a deck of miniature playing cards that take up more of my screen area than your screenshots, so something isn't right here (and it's not the cards).

You want to get Irfanview and get acquainted with its ability to batch resize (so you resize all of them at once instead of individually). The general rule is that for pixely systems (8-bit, 16-bit, any handheld) you double the native resolution. No resampling filters because they ruin the wonderful blockyness of the graphics.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Okay, trying again, this time with a much shorter test post to avoid spending 8 hours on something only to realise it was total waste of time when someone points out it's already being done. I had a look through the forums, and the only let's play of this game I could find was done back in 2008, and doesn't seem to have been arhcived, so...

Let's play Etrian Odyssey!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

100percentjesusfree posted:

Okay, trying again, this time with a much shorter test post to avoid spending 8 hours on something only to realise it was total waste of time when someone points out it's already being done. I had a look through the forums, and the only let's play of this game I could find was done back in 2008, and doesn't seem to have been arhcived, so...

Let's play Etrian Odyssey!

There's not much to comment on here, but do feel free to lp whatever you want. It's possible for there to be two different LP's running at the same time about the same game.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's funny cause I just doublechecked the rules thread and there's absolutely no rule against LPing a game that's already been done/is being done so you could do the other game you wanted and noone would really care except people who need a better hobby.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Elliotw2 posted:

There's not much to comment on here, but do feel free to lp whatever you want. It's possible for there to be two different LP's running at the same time about the same game.

Namtab posted:

It's funny cause I just doublechecked the rules thread and there's absolutely no rule against LPing a game that's already been done/is being done so you could do the other game you wanted and noone would really care except people who need a better hobby.

Perhaps, but the other LPer's been going at it for a year or so, now, and I'd rather not step on anyone's toes. Plus it's a JRPG, so it'd be a touch repetitive until I caught up with him. Thanks, though!

Besides, I've wanted to do an Etrian Odyssey LP for a while, I mostly just started the other one because I didn't think anyone had touched the game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Perhaps, but the other LPer's been going at it for a year or so, now, and I'd rather not step on anyone's toes. Plus it's a JRPG, so it'd be a touch repetitive until I caught up with him. Thanks, though!

Besides, I've wanted to do an Etrian Odyssey LP for a while, I mostly just started the other one because I didn't think anyone had touched the game.

Ouch you're doing an Atlus game? I wish you the best of luck. Those are tough pieces of bread. Especially with options B and C, be careful not to bite off more than you can chew. What you're doing looks good though, keep it up!

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

SSNeoman posted:

Ouch you're doing an Atlus game? I wish you the best of luck. Those are tough pieces of bread. Especially with options B and C, be careful not to bite off more than you can chew. What you're doing looks good though, keep it up!

Thanks, that made my night! And yeah, I know Atlus games are generally pretty hard, I find them fun, though. Mostly.

Anyway, I'd just like to ask before I go do something stupid, does that look alright to post as an OP, or should I just do the class write-up as part of this post? (Sorry to ask a lot of questions, I'm quite new at this)

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Alright so WYA whiped up an example of what we would be doing for the shorter and more concise overview of the matchs. The sound isnt that great for this one because he was using my headset and put the mic too close to his mouth. Ideally they will be around 10 minutes long, for those that dont have the or want to set through a whole match

Overview:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emIxubvbxTY

Intermediate episode. Hero: Chen Raw match

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks, that made my night! And yeah, I know Atlus games are generally pretty hard, I find them fun, though. Mostly.

Anyway, I'd just like to ask before I go do something stupid, does that look alright to post as an OP, or should I just do the class write-up as part of this post? (Sorry to ask a lot of questions, I'm quite new at this)

Yeah, you should. It would help a whole bunch if people knew what they were picking.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, you should. It would help a whole bunch if people knew what they were picking.
It would also help to show off just a little bit of gameplay; there was actually a guy about 5 or 6 pages ago that posted just as empty a test post as yours. A few dialogue screens and some naming menus doesn't really do much to show off what the LP is going to be like. Also something is weird with the text in game cause it looks like the edges of the font are being cut off.

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Overview:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emIxubvbxTY
I have no idea what this video is supposed to be; there's a lot of quick cuts to things going on, someone speaking too louder into their mic (which I'm glad you know was a problem...but you should have fixed it before posting the video), and rushed explanations of ummmm things? Was this meant to help people understand the game more or give a run down of what happened in a match? Also is it not finished encoding or why is the maximum resolution 360p?

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 21, 2012

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Niggurath posted:

It would also help to show off just a little bit of gameplay; there was actually a guy about 5 or 6 pages ago that posted just as empty a test post as yours. A few dialogue screens and some naming menus doesn't really do much to show off what the LP is going to be like. Also something is weird with the text in game cause it looks like the edges of the font are being cut off.

I have no idea what this video is supposed to be; there's a lot of quick cuts to things going on, someone speaking too louder into their mic (which I'm glad you know was a problem...but you should have fixed it before posting the video), and rushed explanations of ummmm things? Was this meant to help people understand the game more or give a run down of what happened in a match? Also is it not finished encoding or why is the maximum resolution 360p?

The purpose of the short overview videos is to provide a quick look at a match for people that already understand the game. The beginner videos are going to be a seprate thing for people not familiar with the game, to get them up to speed to the point where they will be able to follow whats happening in the regular videos. It would be really difficult to squeeze in all the basic mechanics that are needed in explaing things to people new to the game with the goal of making these overview videos a more action packed version of the raw matches.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Alright, thanks, I'll do that. And yeah, I'm not sure what's causing the issue with the text, especially text on buttons, I've been fiddling and trying to fix it but can't seem to. I wanted to do this in desmume, but the text looked even worse in that, so I had to move to No$GBA, where it's mostly readable, but still a bit of a mess.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

ThePriceIsRight posted:

The purpose of the short overview videos is to provide a quick look at a match for people that already understand the game. The beginner videos are going to be a seprate thing for people not familiar with the game, to get them up to speed to the point where they will be able to follow whats happening in the regular videos. It would be really difficult to squeeze in all the basic mechanics that are needed in explaing things to people new to the game with the goal of making these overview videos a more action packed version of the raw matches.
Well you might want to think about putting in some transitions or something to break up different bits since the sudden jumps were kind of jarring. Also ten minutes seems a bit long for a summary of a single match, but this is mostly coming from someone not utterly familiar with more drawn out DOTA matches. There's also the question of the video's resolution and why you, or WYA, didn't want to fix the audio before uploading the video. It isn't a race; you have time to listen to and watch your video before you post them.

Etrian Odyssey thing
Well I think someone posted something earlier that might be able to help:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post404428990

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 21, 2012

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Aha, brilliant, thanks, I'll see if I can get that to work.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Explosionface posted:

I have a deck of miniature playing cards that take up more of my screen area than your screenshots, so something isn't right here (and it's not the cards).

You want to get Irfanview and get acquainted with its ability to batch resize (so you resize all of them at once instead of individually). The general rule is that for pixely systems (8-bit, 16-bit, any handheld) you double the native resolution. No resampling filters because they ruin the wonderful blockyness of the graphics.

Thanks! I downloaded Irfanview and read up on it in the Tech Support FAQ, and I think I've got the hang of it.

Here's the raw capture:

Here's the Irfanview batch conversion:

Old resolution was 240:160, new resolution was 480:320. What do you guys think?

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 21, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
JPGs for Sprite-based games is a no-no. Take them as PNGs (note that this does not mean convert your JPGs into PNGs. You must capture them as PNGs) and run them through PNGout for lossless images with a tiny filesize.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Artix74 posted:

JPGs for Sprite-based games is a no-no. Take them as PNGs (note that this does not mean convert your JPGs into PNGs. You must capture them as PNGs) and run them through PNGout for lossless images with a tiny filesize.

D'oh. I remember reading about that in R1CH's thing in the Tech Support FAQ. Luckily, I did save the raw captures in PNG.

JPG on the left, PNG on the right. PNG is definitely sharper.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Why are we encouraging someone to make a screenshot LP of a Treasure game? It's really not a good idea. For reference, here is the game in motion.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Niggurath posted:

Well you might want to think about putting in some transitions or something to break up different bits since the sudden jumps were kind of jarring. Also ten minutes seems a bit long for a summary of a single match, but this is mostly coming from someone not utterly familiar with more drawn out DOTA matches.

I was thinking about this and maybe we could do it in five minutes, but that was a really short match compared to most games. I think ten minutes is a reasonable amount to expect a viewer to be able to watch in a LP

Also thanks to you and everyone else for their input. We expect to get off the ground next week sometime after some more matches and recorded material

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

Why are we encouraging someone to make a screenshot LP of a Treasure game? It's really not a good idea. For reference, here is the game in motion.

The emphasis of my SSLP isn't to showcase the combat, it's more the story (as I stated above, on this same page). The speedrun completely skips the cutscenes, and while it's impressive, A) it doesn't show the story, B) it's on Normal, not Hard mode, and C) this TASer doesn't really beat the game.

Any creative or technical input is appreciated.

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 21, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Xerophyte posted:

TAS runs aren't necessarily accurate to actual gameplay. No idea how that applies in this case but I already see what they mean by the gameplay being repetitive.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

TAS runs aren't necessarily accurate to actual gameplay. No idea how that applies in this case but I already see what they mean by the gameplay being repetitive.

I have played this game, it is super repetitive. He could maybe make a video for parts of levels, or just gifs, to show it in motion a little. However, as a VLP, the videos would stop being watchable around the time you finish the first loop

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The point of my SSLP isn't to showcase the combat, it's the story (as I stated above, on this same page). The speedrun completely skips the cutscenes, and while it's impressive, A) it doesn't show the story, B) it's on Normal, not Hard mode, and C) this TASer doesn't really beat the game.

I'm not saying that the tas is representative of a good LP, it's not. I'm saying this is an action platformer and not showing that off is doing the game and your audience a pretty significant injustice. Present the story and cutscenes in screenshots, that'll work fine, but this is not a game that can be presented in screenshots only.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
I had a look at that diff file, and while I asked this in the tech support fort, too, I figure it can't hurt to ask - does anyone know how to actually apply that .diff file to desmume? I can't seem to figure it out, I'm probably just missing something obvious.

e. Ignore this, I seem to have fixed it by faffing about with no$Gba

How does this look?

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 21, 2012

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

I have played this game, it is super repetitive. He could maybe make a video for parts of levels, or just gifs, to show it in motion a little. However, as a VLP, the videos would stop being watchable around the time you finish the first loop

Perhaps a hybrid LP? Part SSLP and part VLP? I could do boss battle videos embedded in my posts, with textual commentary under the video.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Hey, just checking back in with the new Sandcastle thread with a revised test post for Fate/Extra to make sure things looked good/weren't too confusing before I made a thread for it.

The OP post again since the old Sandcastle was closed:

What is Fate/Extra?

Fate/Extra is an RPG for the PSP, originally release in July of 2010 in Japan and received a North American release in November of 2011 by Aksys Games. It’s actually more of a mash-up between the RPG and Dungeon Crawler styles similar to the Persona series, so gameplay mechanics between the two are somewhat alike.

It takes place in an alternate universe similar to the one in Fate/Stay Night (yes, that one) where the player starts out as a normal, everyday high school student and then gets dragged into a virtual representation of the Holy Grail War once everything they’ve ever known is suddenly turned upside-down.

Wait, what Holy Grail War? Do I need to know the backstory for all this?

You don’t need to know the backstory going in as it will be explained throughout the game, but there may be a few in-jokes and character references that you’ll be unfamiliar with. I’ll try to explain these references if wading through F/SN isn’t something you want to do. The references will, however, spoil some bits of F/SN.

That said, Seorin has previously LP’d Fate/Stay Night and you can find it here if it sparks your interest. Be forewarned, Fate/Stay Night does contain porn.

Is there porn in Fate/Extra?

No. This game would not be rated T if it had porn in it.

Other:

The vast majority of this will be screenshots because the scenario writer is infamous for tons and tons of words. The dungeon sections will be in video format and heavily edited because, honestly, who wants to watch someone grind? as well as some of the more exciting scenes, like boss battles.

Last but not least: :siren:NO SPOILERS FOR FATE/EXTRA:siren:. Guessing Servant identities is half the fun of the game! If you’re already familiar with game mechanics/identities/plot points, have stuff you want to talk about, and the LP isn’t past that point yet, there’s a general Fate/Extra discussion thread

The only exception will be for references to other games/characters, which I’ll be referencing in small character “blurbs” after their initial, or final, appearance.

Fate/Extra test post

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ignore this, I seem to have fixed it by faffing about with no$Gba

How does this look?

Pretty awful, honestly. It's a hyperinflated filesize (500kb is really weird), and it's incredibly blurry/strangely dark too;

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Dragonatrix posted:

Pretty awful, honestly. It's a hyperinflated filesize (500kb is really weird), and it's incredibly blurry/strangely dark too;

Well, balls, you're right. That does look a lot nicer - is that using that slightly hacked version of Desmume? I tried it with that now (Should've done so earlier) and it looks similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonatrix posted:

and it's incredibly blurry/strangely dark too;

Such is a flaw of No$GBA. Desmume or bust.

• Locked thread