Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's what I'm worried about, but it was only for the tiniest fraction of a second and I don't have any sign of it after that - at idle or at speed. Plus, I'm now nearly 40k past their extended warranty, so if I do end up with a chain / VVT issue, I'm paying for it out of pocket.

The warranty coverage for the specific repair is extended to 7 years (84 months) from the original warranty start date or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

The warranty coverage for the specific repair is extended to 7 years (84 months) from the original warranty start date or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I'm at 109k.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

It sounds like a horrible dentist drill. I hope they don't just give me 5w40 and send me on my way. It's a time bomb now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm at 109k.

Ah sorry, read that as you being nearly past 40k.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Oil change first, then ventilation kit then turbo. Unless the turbo is very bad. And speed6s don't get ventilation kits.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

SiB posted:

Oil change first, then ventilation kit then turbo. Unless the turbo is very bad. And speed6s don't get ventilation kits.

How do they determine how "bad" the turbo is? I can hear it at an abnormally high volume and it sounds bad. It still spools, but almost sounds like its struggling. Is it safe to assume it running improperly lubricated right now has taken a lot off of its life? What if they stop it from smoking, but it still sounds terrible?

What's involved in the ventilation kit?

E: Thanks for all the info, by the way. I appreciate it.

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 22, 2012

SiB
May 6, 2005

SynMoo posted:

How do they determine how "bad" the turbo is? I can hear it at an abnormally high volume and it sounds bad. It still spools, but almost sounds like its struggling. Is it safe to assume it running improperly lubricated right now has taken a lot off of its life? What if they stop it from smoking, but it still sounds terrible?

What's involved in the ventilation kit?

E: Thanks for all the info, by the way. I appreciate it.

Well if the oil change and ventilation kit did not work then it gets a turbo. Or if it sounds bad, its kind of up to the tech really. There is a visual inspection of the shaft play in the turbo while the ventilation kit is being installed. Here is a few photos of the kit.... http://imgur.com/a/qgq2i

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Yeah, I remember seeing this now, new valve cover and all. I personally think the turbo sounds terrible now. It sounds like a friends B5 S4 did at around 110k miles before he replaced the turbos. I could barely hear it in the cabin before and now it's quite prominent with a gritty dentist drill sort of sound. Wish me luck. Going to smoke out the service advisors in their shiney new reception area in an hour.

Thanks again for all your insight.

Edit:
SA: Could you pull the car through the here please?
Me: Trust me. You don't want me to do that.

When the SA realized what was up, she says: "I'm just going to give you a loaner now. I'm not going to pretend that this isn't going to be a few days."

Edit2: Dealer called. They're just flat our replacing the turbo. They didn't suspect the PCV system was the cause. I asked if they had a different root cause and he said they just suspected the turbo was bad. He said it had significant shaft play and obviously a seal failure. Hope to have it back early next week.

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 22, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

I'd check the outlet itself. The contact in the bottom might be worn down far enough that the plugs aren't making contact. Hit it with a meter or test light and see if you've got juice.

First, glad your dealer is taking care of you on the turbo.

Second, it also turns out that my aux in port isn't working, either... I'm betting there must be some common wiring that's disconnected for some reason.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Sounds plausible. There isn't that much wiring between the aux and the radio, so I'd just start pulling trim panels and follow that bundle up. You can also check for continuity with a meter at the aux in on the back of the radio and at the jack.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You aren't kidding, that center console is ridiculously easy to pull out. I'm on a trip right now (main time I actually use both the aux in and the extra power port) so I don't have a voltmeter handy. Doesn't seem to be an issue of loose connections at the business end, so I'll have to trace it forward. I'm betting this is somehow related to the fact that I had the shifter cables replaced.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Just had my first problem with my 2011 Speed3. Had a check engine light come on so I pulled the code myself and had a P0128 which means the coolant temperature sensor is reading too low, so I figured it was probably just a bad thermostat stuck open.

Took it to Mazda and didn't mention what I found, they put in a new thermostat, and I got the car back later that day. No big deal, they didn't charge me anything since I was under warranty. I just hope there aren't any more issues that pop up soon after my warranty is up. I can't believe my thermostat failed with only 15k miles, really makes me wonder about parts quality in the rest of the car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For the record, I've been listening intently at the last few cold starts and no clatter.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Brain Issues posted:

Just had my first problem with my 2011 Speed3

Little stuff happens sometimes. They took care of you like they should. Look at me. I had a turbo go bad at 33k and they're taking care of me, no questions asked. Don't sweat it.

SiB
May 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You aren't kidding, that center console is ridiculously easy to pull out. I'm on a trip right now (main time I actually use both the aux in and the extra power port) so I don't have a voltmeter handy. Doesn't seem to be an issue of loose connections at the business end, so I'll have to trace it forward. I'm betting this is somehow related to the fact that I had the shifter cables replaced.

Console has to come out to do that, and a certain connector has to be unplugged for the console to come out... See the red connector in this photo, you should have a look at yours. (Connector will not actually be red in the car.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, then I bet that's exactly what either didn't get connected or didn't get connected enough.

I can get the cupholders and the shifter surround out of the car in roughly 3.2 seconds. It looks like it's roughly behind the ashtray - does that just pull out like everything else does?

Also, after only now finding out how easily the console is dismantled, I almost feel bad for paying to have the shifter cables replaced. Almost, because I had to get it done before I had my surgery so that my wife could drive the drat thing, and it would've taken me a week to get the parts alone.

Thanks for that image, this kind of stuff is why I love SA and AI.

SiB
May 6, 2005
You know I can't honestly remember if there is two Phillips screws below the ash tray. But they could be on top, in that case the radio has to come out. It's been a long while since ive been in there.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
Hi all!

Love my 08.1 MS3. Awesome car, even without all the alcantara inserts that people always rave about.

There's a clicking noise coming from my front left axle whenever it's under lots of torque (like when accelerating from a stop). Any ideas what that might be?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Need more information about the clicking. Does it change in frequency as you go faster? Do you hear it when turning?

What makes you say that it's the axle? Have you taken a look at the axle? How does the CV boot look?

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

SynMoo posted:

Need more information about the clicking. Does it change in frequency as you go faster? Do you hear it when turning?

What makes you say that it's the axle? Have you taken a look at the axle? How does the CV boot look?

Doesn't change frequency. You can only hear 2 or 3 clicks over the course of about half a second, like it's creaking under pressure, at high torque/low speed. Then it goes away.

To be honest, I don't know exactly where in the wheel area it's coming from, but the mechanic who was doing the last service said it seemed to be coming from the axle, and quoted me a replacement for the whole axle assembly.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

That could be anything really. If it were the axle I'd expect it to be a continuous noise. What you're describing sounds more like some suspension components flexing. How loud are we talking? Do you hear it only from standing starts, or will it do it while you're rolling also? Say you're cruising at 20 mph in second gear (and got to 20 gently) and floor it, will it do it then? If you start slowly in first does it do it? How often does it happen?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SiB posted:

You know I can't honestly remember if there is two Phillips screws below the ash tray. But they could be on top, in that case the radio has to come out. It's been a long while since ive been in there.

It is two screws on the ashtray, but with that diagram I was able to feel around for it without pulling it out. Sure enough, it wasn't even plugged in at all.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Score for an easy fix!

Still waiting for my car to be finished. Adviser couldn't tell me if the turbo was ordered yesterday or Friday, but it was approved at the very least.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

SynMoo posted:

That could be anything really. If it were the axle I'd expect it to be a continuous noise. What you're describing sounds more like some suspension components flexing. How loud are we talking? Do you hear it only from standing starts, or will it do it while you're rolling also? Say you're cruising at 20 mph in second gear (and got to 20 gently) and floor it, will it do it then? If you start slowly in first does it do it? How often does it happen?

Not very loud, I can hear it any time serious torque is applied and there is little other noise. It does it while rolling and hard braking, too - it will do it in the scenario you describe. Happens almost all the time.

Could certainly be a suspension component... was just trying to see if it rings any bells with anyone.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Might be stupid or obvious, but I had similar noises coming from a front wheel when the lugs were loosening up on me.

SiB
May 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It is two screws on the ashtray, but with that diagram I was able to feel around for it without pulling it out. Sure enough, it wasn't even plugged in at all.

Awesome. Back in business.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indeed, I only wish I had known it was that easy before I took that road trip :)

Although holy poo poo I need to clean down there, amazing how much random crud slips through the panels and lands under the console.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Could a failing front drivers side control arm cause an MS6 to crab really hard when hitting potholes/sewer covers on the left side? Its crabbing from the rear to the point that sometimes traction control kicks in and cuts power. I'm pretty sure its the cause. Just feel like asking a stupid question.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Laranzu posted:

Could a failing front drivers side control arm cause an MS6 to crab really hard when hitting potholes/sewer covers on the left side? Its crabbing from the rear to the point that sometimes traction control kicks in and cuts power. I'm pretty sure its the cause. Just feel like asking a stupid question.
Failing in what way? I had a bent control arm on my WRX producing bad caster that resulted in crabbing on certain road surfaces.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Failing in what way? I had a bent control arm on my WRX producing bad caster that resulted in crabbing on certain road surfaces.

Not too sure. While I was getting the turbo done under the smoking warranty, I asked them about a rubbing type noise I was hearing turning the wheel while stopped or moving. Seems to be losing its alignment too.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

My dealer is kind of dropping the ball on my turbo replacement.

Last Thursday, I was given an estimate of Friday or today for it to be finished. Friday would be one week in the shop, with the parts having only gotten to the dealer on Wednesday. Friday before I left work, I called for an update. I spoke to a different adviser from my usual one, and she said that it wouldn't be ready that day and to 'enjoy' the loaner over the weekend.

I didn't hear anything today, so I figured I'd give them a call about half an hour ago. My usual adviser answers and is genuinely surprised to hear from me. He explains that the tech who is working on my car (presumably the only Mazdaspeed certified tech they have) didn't come in today. He also tells me that he himself wasn't in on Friday, so he can't give me an ETA because he doesn't know how far the tech got on Friday. At this point, I'm not upset, and I tell him I'm thankful for the loaner, but I'd appreciate better communication. He thought the ticket had been closed out because he didn't see my car in the shop today. I guess they pushed it out. I drove around the dealer yesterday to see if it was outside and I couldn't find it, so I assume it was in the shop yesterday.

The only phone call I've received from the dealer since I dropped the car off was last Wednesday when the parts counter mistakenly called me instead of the shop when my parts came in. I've had to call in myself for every status update. The adviser promised to call me tomorrow and let me know what was up, so hoping for the best. I just hope they don't get some rookie tech that handles the oil changes to finish up. Sure I'd like to have it back for the holiday, but I'd rather have it done right and not have to worry about it.

I wonder if my tech is pulling the old long holiday weekend gag and will call out tomorrow, too.

Sorry for the e/n wall of text. Miss my car!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dealers suck like that sometimes.

Here's hoping that you don't get a bill two months later from the rental agency your loaner is through, because your dealer was slow about returning it to their inventory and refuses to just get on the phone and talk to the rental company! (gently caress my dealer, but gently caress Hertz more for that poo poo)

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Thankfully it's a loaner off their lot with a dealer tag on it. I won't have to worry about that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You didn't have to sign a rental agreement? Even though my loaner was a nearly-new Mazda5 (which really is a neat little car, though boo to Mazda for not offering it with the DISI and a six-speed) I had to sign a Hertz rental agreement.

Of course that could just be how that dealer does it; I can't say I have much experience here since the MS3 is the only vehicle I've ever owned that was still in manufacturer's warranty.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Mazdaspeed certified...... that's a new one to me. Speed3 right? That's not a long job at all.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I did sign a rental agreement, but just with the dealer. They're part of a large network of dealers in the area and use their own paperwork for loaners. They gave me a 2010 Mazda3 2.5 Touring w/Auto. Pretty beat up, rippled right-front fender, several scratches. I assume it's one they took in as a trade or at auction and just use it as a loaner. 22k miles on it, 500ish are from me. It's not a bad car and it's a total snore to drive, but it isn't mine.

I was under the impression that Mazda only had certain dealers that were 'Mazdaspeed dealers' that would sell/service them. I've heard this from a few different places.

How many hours for a turbo job? I do know that when they were waiting for my parts to come in, the tech started a job on another car and had to finish that before moving on to mine. I assume they kept the same tech on the job either because he was trained for the speed's or because they wanted the same tech that tore it down to put it back together. Come to think of it, I have no idea what that job was and there may have been no progress on my car at all on Thursday or Friday.

At any rate, I hope he shows up tomorrow. If not, my car will have been in the shop at least 13 days for a job that could have been done in 2. Bleh. Upside, I've been driving a car that gets better mileage and uses cheaper gas.

E: Yeah, 2010 Mazdaspeed3.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Well in Canada there is no such thing as a Mazdaspeed dealer. We have two Speed 3s sitting there now. Its the same engine as the CX-7 anyways. As far as time, should be around 4 hours warranty time.

Definitely have the same tech working on it, bad move to get someone else to take it over half way though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, in the US there are definitely some dealers that are not Mazdaspeed certified, or at least that was the case a few years ago; when I tried to buy a new/never-sold Mazdaspeed Miata (in summer of 2006, shows how well those cars moved) only a few of the local Mazda dealers had ever actually had the cars at all.

At the same time, definitely a valid point that the CX7 uses the exact same engine...so there's really not much reason to say one dealer can and one dealer can't work on the MS3, if both can work on the CX7. I think the only truly MS3-unique aspects at this point are the bodywork (which is still just bodywork) and the six-speed manual.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsstore/B2BDirect/Motorsports/aboutmazdaspeed.htm

If you are looking for MAZDASPEED vehicles or MAZDASPEED Performance Accessories to enhance the performance of your street car, you can only purchase these through a "MAZDASPEED Certified" Mazda dealer.

MAZDASPEED dealers are a select group of dealerships offering vehicles, parts and accessories from our high-performance series. These dealers offer:

MAZDASPEED repair parts
MAZDASPEED accessories
Staff with specialized MAZDASPEED training
Specialized MAZDASPEED tools to repair and maintain your MAZDASPEED vehicle

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiB
May 6, 2005
:shrug: I think it's just marketing fluff. (for Canada anyways)