Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

theNewBlack21 posted:

I read that as well but BB was not able to give me any confirmation on when they would receive my phone even though I ordered the 16 GB white model on June 8th. I would have pre ordered from Sprint if they had in store pick up or if I wasn't changing addresses around release date. In any case ill never order from Best Buy again.

In store the S3 is delayed at sprint till late in the month. And either way, not buying from best buy again is ok with me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3108576/google-wallet-confirms-software-issue-htc-evo-4g-lte

Google says Wallet will be back "soon" for the Evo LTE. This is a huge screw up, in my opinion. Wallet was shut down just after the return period was up for most people who pre-ordered. All of these software issues, especially the lame rear end Apple patent thing, make me disappointed in this phone. I just want to click a phone number on a web page and have it call that number. I can't flash a rom that will let me do that because I can't clear Google Wallet (without editing the build.prop file, you have to be rooted in the first place to do that anyway) and it will brick the secure element.

So gently caress Apple for being Apple. gently caress HTC and Sprint and Google for using release products as beta software.

Pretty sure you can just clear google wallet in the apps settings and you will be good to go.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

St. Blaize posted:

Pretty sure you can just clear google wallet in the apps settings and you will be good to go.

I've read very dire warnings to the contrary.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WoG posted:

I've read very dire warnings to the contrary.

Yes, I have read that it must be cleared from the front end, or else.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Is the EPRP plan online only, or can you go in-store to shop for a phone?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Is the EPRP plan online only, or can you go in-store to shop for a phone?

A corporate store should be able to help you out. They will likely have to call sales support to swap the phone though. Not sure about a 3rd party store.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Giblet posted:

A corporate store should be able to help you out. They will likely have to call sales support to swap the phone though. Not sure about a 3rd party store.

Thanks. If I do the EPRP all online, at what point would the porting process start? Would I buy all the phones and then port right then, or would I have to wait until the phone arrives in the mail to activate/port the number from our old carrier? I am taking over our family plan and I need to reassure my parents (who are terrified of switching carriers) that when we switch and port over there will be no/little interruption of service.

Also, I want to port my number to google voice, while I'd have everyone else in my family port directly to Sprint. I'm sure it wouldn't be tough to get a new number for my line (and point GV to it), and then port old numbers for the other lines?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Thanks. If I do the EPRP all online, at what point would the porting process start? Would I buy all the phones and then port right then, or would I have to wait until the phone arrives in the mail to activate/port the number from our old carrier? I am taking over our family plan and I need to reassure my parents (who are terrified of switching carriers) that when we switch and port over there will be no/little interruption of service.

Also, I want to port my number to google voice, while I'd have everyone else in my family port directly to Sprint. I'm sure it wouldn't be tough to get a new number for my line (and point GV to it), and then port old numbers for the other lines?

Ordering online you buy the phones, call in and process the port when you get the phones. For your phone you will automatically get a new number so you just port to Google voice and you are good. There will be no interruption of service.

I'd order online. Corporate stores can work with EPRP, but I am not sure if they can setup new lines. Don't go to 3rd party, best buy, etc, they cannot activate the plan.

If you get an Evo LTE you should be able to get a $100 port credit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Has ICS hit the Evo yet? Judging by that HTC schedule, I shouldn't even hope for ICS on my E3D until the original Evo gets it, so I'm curious.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Has ICS hit the Evo yet? Judging by that HTC schedule, I shouldn't even hope for ICS on my E3D until the original Evo gets it, so I'm curious.

Original Evo dev cycle was shut down last year I believe. Roughly 1.5 years life cycle as far as HTC cares.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

No ICS for the original Evo. Everyone got made at the charger port failing and switched to iphones anyway.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Whatever happened to that unofficial LTE coverage map site?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Matlock posted:

https://www.s4gru.com ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

Every time Sprint releases an official map, Verizon sends a snapshot of it to our customers along with a snapshot of their coverage with a big thing on why you need to switch.

The map of what Nextel towers were being taken down is a great example, they sent letters to all Nextels bigger business custo,ers swing "see they are discontinuing your service!!!"

You can say a lot of things about Verizon, but they are pretty drat smart.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Every time Sprint releases an official map, Verizon sends a snapshot of it to our customers along with a snapshot of their coverage with a big thing on why you need to switch.

The map of what Nextel towers were being taken down is a great example, they sent letters to all Nextels bigger business custo,ers swing "see they are discontinuing your service!!!"

You can say a lot of things about Verizon, but they are pretty drat smart.

They should send a snapshot of my data usage compared with how much it would cost on Verizon.

E: Between Rdio, Google Music, other streaming music, and downloading podcasts, I use nearly 10GB monthly. Some months its closer to 7-8 but still Verizon can't loving cope with it and would probably see fit to pop me with hundreds of dollars of overages monthly.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wish I could use that much data. The sprint network in phoenix is just too slow to consume that much.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

After June 28th when people see Verizons new plans, I have a hard time believing anyone would sign up for Verizon if they had any other choice at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wish I could use that much data. The sprint network in phoenix is just too slow to consume that much.

I live in a city with about a million fewer inhabitants than Phoenix, that's probably why. It seems the network has a hard time scaling well with high populations, because I'll consistently get usable speeds (maybe 2-300k/s) unless there's some kind of physical obstacle like being in a parking lot. Hopefully both that and your problems get fixed with NV.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

I live in a city with about a million fewer inhabitants than Phoenix, that's probably why. It seems the network has a hard time scaling well with high populations, because I'll consistently get usable speeds (maybe 2-300k/s) unless there's some kind of physical obstacle like being in a parking lot. Hopefully both that and your problems get fixed with NV.

Over 4G? Because my 3G speeds have been poo poo for a while now, I'd be lucky to use 300mb a month over it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Dont Like You posted:

Over 4G? Because my 3G speeds have been poo poo for a while now, I'd be lucky to use 300mb a month over it.

It varies wildly depending on basically how over saturated your market is (although more markets are over saturated). In PA most areas of Philly are fine and a larger town like West Chester does ok . Others areas though can be terrible. I just visited St Louis, and internet is just terrible there. Both some of Missouri outside of it was decently usable.

The overall theme is that your mileage will vary, but overall Network Vision is badly needed.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Duckman2008 posted:

No ICS for the original Evo. Everyone got made at the charger port failing and switched to iphones anyway.

I'm still using mine. :(

I'll probably be switching to an Evo LTE soon, though. Gotta have that kickstand.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's the cheapest android smartphone that doesn't suck? I have the original EVO4g, and never actually use the 4g. Cracked the screen pretty badly in a cycling accident, so looks like the phone gods have forced my hand.

Am I better off finding something used in SAmart?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Cheapest upfront cost not including plan?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

Russian Bear posted:

What's the cheapest android smartphone that doesn't suck? I have the original EVO4g, and never actually use the 4g. Cracked the screen pretty badly in a cycling accident, so looks like the phone gods have forced my hand.

Am I better off finding something used in SAmart?

Maybe it's because I have an evo 4g that is about to go on the mart, but if you don't use 4g then the cheapest would probably be getting a used 3d, $125 or so, or 4g, $75.

I was thinking about putting mine up for 60 plus shipping.

All that being said the 4g LTE and GNex look very nice. However to get their prices below 200 you have to sign a new contract.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

It varies wildly depending on basically how over saturated your market is (although more markets are over saturated). In PA most areas of Philly are fine and a larger town like West Chester does ok . Others areas though can be terrible. I just visited St Louis, and internet is just terrible there. Both some of Missouri outside of it was decently usable.

The overall theme is that your mileage will vary, but overall Network Vision is badly needed.

What Duckmein says about the Philly area is true. 3G speeds were great in Philly although nothing to call home about. At least you got decent internet speeds regardless of where you were in the city.

Sprint's service really is a hit or miss thing and Network Vision is very badly needed. Case in point I live about 20m from Ocean City, MD in a pretty small town. I see about 3 bars of service (yeah I know bars mean close to nothing) and right now I'm hitting at best 0.55mbit in speedtest. There was an odd moment in the spring where I was hitting close to 2mbit. I guess with all the people coming down in the beach town Sprint's network just can't handle it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

falz posted:

Cheapest upfront cost not including plan?

Sorry left out some info, I have a 150 dollars upgrade credit also. I am still on sero, so if they want to extended it another 2 years I don't care.

If I don't find something suitable I might take you up on that atomicvocabulary.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

Sorry left out some info, I have a 150 dollars upgrade credit also. I am still on sero, so if they want to extended it another 2 years I don't care.

If I don't find something suitable I might take you up on that atomicvocabulary.

Yeah get the Galaxy Nexus, Evo LTE or iPhone 4S, they are all $199. You can also get the galaxy S3 but I don't recommend Samsung personally. Order online or go to a corporate store to get whichever phone.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Is SERO the same thing as SWAC, or did SERO become SWAC?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah get the Galaxy Nexus, Evo LTE or iPhone 4S, they are all $199. You can also get the galaxy S3 but I don't recommend Samsung personally. Order online or go to a corporate store to get whichever phone.

I would say he should at least take a look at the galaxy s3. I have yet to find any reason to not buy this phone so far.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Is SERO the same thing as SWAC, or did SERO become SWAC?

Swac is a plan for current employees families and friends. Sero is the "severing employee retention offer". Swac accounts have Sero as an option if the employee quits and they have to change.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 24, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I was told that if the person whose info I used to sign up for EPRP with quits, I'd be placed on SERO by a employee at a corporate Sprint store here, is that true?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ThermoPhysical posted:

I was told that if the person whose info I used to sign up for EPRP with quits, I'd be placed on SERO by a employee at a corporate Sprint store here, is that true?

No, if you were placed on swac this would be the case but not eprp. Sero can migrate to eprp but not the other way around.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Giblet posted:

No, if you were placed on swac this would be the case but not eprp. Sero can migrate to eprp but not the other way around.

Ahh, alright.

Thanks for clearing it up.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Giblet posted:

Swac is a plan for current employees families and friends. Sero is the "severing employee retention offer". Swac accounts have Sero as an option if the employee quits and they have to change.

So under SWAC for the 500min plan do you pay $30 (base plan) + $10 (premium data) + an additional $10 for the smartphone fee? Or it just the base $30+$10? This isn't clear in the advantage club website.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 25, 2012

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

Galaxy Nexus on sprint.com is $199 - $50 mail-in rebate - $10 Google Wallet credit = $139, which is absolutely the best deal on a new Android phone.

Instead of explaining why you should buy a Nexus, I'll let the thread handle it for me:

mastershakeman posted:

FogHelmut posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3108576/google-wallet-confirms-software-issue-htc-evo-4g-lte

Google says Wallet will be back "soon" for the Evo LTE. This is a huge screw up, in my opinion. Wallet was shut down just after the return period was up for most people who pre-ordered. All of these software issues, especially the lame rear end Apple patent thing, make me disappointed in this phone. I just want to click a phone number on a web page and have it call that number. I can't flash a rom that will let me do that because I can't clear Google Wallet (without editing the build.prop file, you have to be rooted in the first place to do that anyway) and it will brick the secure element.

So gently caress Apple for being Apple. gently caress HTC and Sprint and Google for using release products as beta software.

Giblet posted:

Playing with my gsm3 and I'm slightly upset that some apps I user all the time are not available on ICS. I can't even get the Samsung remote app for my tv. You would figure the leading android handset manufacturer would at least update their own apps.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
If Sprint boots you out of the network for roaming too much, does that foul your ESNs?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

If Sprint boots you out of the network for roaming too much, does that foul your ESNs?

Shouldn't unless you don't pay your final bill (they would probably waive the ETFs but have you pay final usage, normal bill, etc).

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Sprint is holding some Galaxy S3 event on Tuesday and I got an invite, has anyone been to one of these events before? Just wondering what to expect. It mentions complimentary cocktails and valet parking, so it should at least be tolerable.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lots of fat nerds, android shirts, and body odor is my guess.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Giblet posted:

I did manage to trick a rep into turning one of my EPRP lines into SERO, but I think that was a total fluke and will never happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

900ftjesus posted:

Instead of explaining why you should buy a Nexus, I'll let the thread handle it for me:

The post you quoted text of mine in no way suggests a nexus over a gs3. They both use ICS and would have the same apps available to them.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

So under SWAC for the 500min plan do you pay $30 (base plan) + $10 (premium data) + an additional $10 for the smartphone fee? Or it just the base $30+$10? This isn't clear in the advantage club website.

I don't know anymore to be honest. I quit almost two years ago when my school schedule changed.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 25, 2012