Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tastychicken posted:

I said I was looking forward to DayZ grief-stories, but poo poo son... I never thought the poo poo hitting the fan would be liquid awesome.
I'm lurching from all the hilarity.

I'm not really clear on what happened, but I enjoyed playing it and it quickly devolved into "shoot everyone who isn't on Skype with you" the game, it kinda lost part of it's appeal to me.

I certainly hope it doesn't ruin the chances of DayZ being one of the first mods for ArmA3, because I really like the concept as a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I think I see where you guys were talking about Jedi Knight, oh that was my favorite game back in the day. I did all sorts of stupid crap like turning my character model into a bacta tank, or a fruit cart, or one of the ships resulting in a crash of the game client.

My favorite though was playing as a bacta tank, they would spin at a particular speed and I would always try to match it when people came in the room to refill. Always odd hearing the lightsaber sound coming from a bacta tank.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would being in an undeveloped zone be grounds for a ban in WoW? It's like that planet in the Star Trek episode "The Cage" which the penalty for going to is DEATH.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

greatn posted:

Why would being in an undeveloped zone be grounds for a ban in WoW?

Because you're only allowed to do what they tell you to do. You're only allowed to have fun doing what they tell you is fun. Even if what you're doing is just wasting your own time at the expense of absolutely no one else you're not allowed to do it unless they tell you it's allowed. The default state of anything is, not allowed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

greatn posted:

Why would being in an undeveloped zone be grounds for a ban in WoW? It's like that planet in the Star Trek episode "The Cage" which the penalty for going to is DEATH.

Less sarcastically than above, by virtue of the place not being done and tested, you really have no good data to say what may or may not happen. You can say something like "well, in all likelihood, we've put nothing there so nothing should happen."

There is no more dangerous word in the english language than the word 'should' when you're talking about software programs. Just because something 'shouldn't' have a stable, reproducable glitch that allows people to teleport around the world or inexplicably double their speed or just make them randomly invincible doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So instead of run the risk, however slim, of some crazy poo poo causing a meltdown that costs someone or multiple someones their jobs, a lot of teams just tell people to gently caress off.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I can understand repercussions when glitching into otherwise inaccessible zone (although this happened in WoW with old ironforge and I don't think anyone got banned?) but banning people for being in a zone wrong for their level like TOR admins did, for example, is completely idiotic.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

cthulhoo posted:

I can understand repercussions when glitching into otherwise inaccessible zone (although this happened in WoW with old ironforge and I don't think anyone got banned?) but banning people for being in a zone wrong for their level like TOR admins did, for example, is completely idiotic.

I thought the whole story to the SWTOR thing was more to do with the player looting high-level chest/node spawns for items he shouldn't be getting access to, by somehow avoiding enemy spawns which would otherwise kill him very quickly.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Well, it all depends on the method of avoidance then, I think. I don't remember much of that story, but I don't think cheating/glitching was involved, mostly EA being fuckwits as usual.

My mate was mining in Cata zones while being hopelessly underleveled (and naked too, so that mobs he couldn't successfully avoid didn't add to his repair costs when they instakilled him). I really don't see why this might be considered ban worthy.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah that sounds lame, if they were legitimately figuring out how to get to these places without glitching/hacking anyway. I believe in rewarding peoples' cleverness, not punishing it. :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I don't know what it is about EA that makes their games so prone to haemorrhaging fun. I mean, they're a gigantic ur-corporation made up of a jillion subsidiaries. It's not like each and every game has the same team of people maintaining and updating it. I guess they must be prone to micromanagement at the executive level or something, because just about all of their multiplayer games end up getting patched to motherfuck and back to prevent player-reported griefing or hamfistedly change things that get whined about a lot, which of course results in in a huge influx of bugs and wacky balance problems, which cause more bitching, which results in more rushed-out patches, and so forth.

Battlefield 2142 is a great example of this. That game had its flaws, but by and large it was fun as gently caress in its early days, especially if you were a fan of BF1942 like I was. The best game mode was called Titan, and it was a novel take on control-point based gameplay: each team had a giant badass levitating megafortress called a Titan, which served as their primary spawn point, generated aircraft, and sported various artillery and point-defense weapons that players could use to hammer the poo poo out of enemy forces. The teams would battle to seize control of missile silos on the ground, and at set intervals, controlled silos would launch powerful missiles at the opposing Titan, damaging its shields (this was the only way to bring down a Titan's shields - they were Too Badass to be phased by infantry or vehicle weaponry). Once a Titan's shields were crippled, the opposing team could use aircraft and APC drop pods to launch daring assaults on its interior; by successfully destroying the enemy Titan's four master control consoles and critically damaging its reactor core, the attacking forces could cause the supercarrier to explode spectacularly, immediately winning the round.

What was especially awesome about Titan mode was that the Titans actually were gigantic weapons platforms crewed entirely by players. They weren't just static HQ thingies that you had to put a flag on to win - the Commander of a team could set waypoints and make their Titan slowly navigate around, putting the respawn point right next to contested areas and bringing massive amounts of ordnance to bear on concentrations of enemy troops. There were some oddities related to this:

BumpercarsTitans: At one point, Titans were fully capable of colliding over the battlefield. This sounds incredibly badass, and it did sometimes look pretty cool, but what actually happened was Battlefield Physics. The two Titans would sort of slide up against each other and then flip the gently caress out, lagging the Christ out of everything, randomly killing everyone on board either vessel, occasionally phasing into one another, and in rare cases, somehow absorbing/abducting enemy troops from the other Titan so that they could attack the consoles and reactor without lowering the shields first. There were a couple of cases where one or both Titans just entirely blew the gently caress up without warning, too.

Titan ramming was honestly pretty hilarious while it lasted, but I could see the logic in patching it out; it was unbalanced, buggy, and unintended. Eventually Titans had a tiny buffer zone that prevented them from crashing into one another, although that sometimes caused them to get stuck on each other and just sit there immobile for the rest of forever. Whoops! :haw:

rear end in a top hat parking, Titan edition: Remember those anti-Titan missiles that launched from the missile silos at set intervals? Those things had collision physics and would detonate on impact, like a specially-coded player weapon with lots of weird rules and exceptions. They were programmed this way instead of as straightforward round mechanics with sleek graphical effects, because reasons. As soon as the playerbase figured this out (i.e. immediately), Commanders started griefing their teams by moving the Titans overtop of friendly missile silos. The friendly guided missile would slam right into its own team's Titan immediately after launching, dealing the full damage of an anti-Titan missile to said own-team's-Titan, and not dealing any damage to the enemy team's Titan.

Normally you could vote to kick your Commander and elect a new one, but that took a little while to accomplish. Meanwhile, your Titan was getting slammed by friendly and enemy missiles, and once its shields went down, it couldn't move anymore (to prevent Commanders from starting incredibly slow games of Tag in an effort to evade enemy troops). So now it was stuck there permanently, and still getting hit by its own team's missiles, which could and would eventually destroy it and end the round in a loss.

I believe EA actually banned some accounts for both of those griefs, which was stupid, but not as stupid as the eventual "solution" they patched in: they removed the ability to move Titans.

Yeah. They patched content out of the game entirely to satisfy the awful, whiny playerbase without actually having to invest any resources into silly things like "game balance" and "bugtesting." The most incredible part is that the aforementioned patch rendered the game unplayably buggy for a lot of people, to the point where trying to join a Titan game would straight-up crash the client something like 95% of the time, and even when you did manage to join, you'd have to contend with absolutely crippling lag for the entire round.

EA Games: the biggest griefers of all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

greatn posted:

Being in an undeveloped zone is de facto proof you've broken the terms of service because exploiting errors in their design (such as walls not quite steep enough that you can't repetitively jump up them, or being able to res your body behind a grating) is explicitly against the terms of service.

For instance, I once got a warning for standing on a building shooting people because at no point during game development did Blizzard realise people would do that so they didn't hand out guns to the town guards. (Now guards have guns to knock you off buildings and deal melee damage in the hundred thousand range)

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

To be fair, another reason to remove the ability for titans to move was because moving them would often lag the gently caress out of the server, or at very least out of a lot of the folks trying to play.

There had to be a better solution (IFF, anyone), but they just went with the stopgap fix and left it that way.

Skilgannon
Feb 25, 2005

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I thought the whole story to the SWTOR thing was more to do with the player looting high-level chest/node spawns for items he shouldn't be getting access to, by somehow avoiding enemy spawns which would otherwise kill him very quickly.

It was a top level PVP planet that was just a cluster gently caress from the get go. It had level 50+ elites all over the entrance that should have been able to one shot any low level character that came near them. Shame they put a loving flight path right next to the planet spawn point that took you to the middle of the PVP zone. What ever script they used to make the chests spawn was also terrible and by working in teams you could make the chests constantly spawn and be farmed.

Bioware got pissed as no one was using their terribly crafted world PVP (Think of Wintergrasp set on a bad Hoth clone) so they removed the chests and banned anyone under 50 that had gone to the planet. Despite nothing saying you have to be 50 to go there just that the mobs are 49 - 50 level.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Slamscooty posted:

Well, I figured out how to spawn bombs on top of players in game using the scripting engine, while thousands of people had already been using the scripting engine to do inconsequential stuff like spawn weapons. I then proceeded to post the script all over 4chan, knowing they would make full use of it as my friend and I went from server to server and systematically blew each one of them up, mostly having targeted the reddit server. This went on for about 3 days before it became super rampant, and the reddit server got so upset by this that they decided to password their server, which is against the developer's rules and will lead to their server being blacklisted. (http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/v2n6o/due_to_the_severe_influx_of_hacking_we_will_be/)
All of this happening lead to the developer, rocket, to become extremely upset. He shut down ALL of the servers for about 30 minutes, and then banned any player who ever ran a script in the game, which totaled in the thousands. This perma-banned all of the users across all of the ARMA 2 servers which have battleye on.

I made a few videos of it, they're nothing spectaular, you can read the chat though at the bottom left if you set it to 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQj-8IzHOH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1X33DfaiQ

Wow. gently caress ever buying a Bohemia product again. And definitely gently caress that guy and his ridiculous control freak attitude over the mod.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

greatn posted:

Why would being in an undeveloped zone be grounds for a ban in WoW?

I've personally never seen anyone (or been) banned for being in the zone he was talking about when it was unfinished, even when GM attention was drawn to them/me; I've even been in many other zones you could jump creatively to/use skills creatively to get to, and I've never seen a GM actually care. There's a few places you can get banned (though this is still unlikely, usually it's a 3 day suspension) for just being in, but none of them are reachable without actually hacking/breaking the ToS anyway.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Regarding Battlefield 2142, I think it's pretty funny that they made a game with a giant, flying, player controlled battle fortress and didn't expect people to crash into things with it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crumpet posted:

I've personally never seen anyone (or been) banned for being in the zone he was talking about when it was unfinished, even when GM attention was drawn to them/me; I've even been in many other zones you could jump creatively to/use skills creatively to get to, and I've never seen a GM actually care. There's a few places you can get banned (though this is still unlikely, usually it's a 3 day suspension) for just being in, but none of them are reachable without actually hacking/breaking the ToS anyway.

They may have suspended you if you had kept trying probably, but eventually they added a No Man's Land debuff to the place so you would be teleported out if you went there.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Crumpet posted:

Yeah. They don't do a lot of real bans in WoW unless you are hacking, botting, selling gold, or scamming account info from people. Everything else you usually have to get warnings, suspensions and put in a lot of effort to work your way up to a ban.
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/account-penalties

The only restricted place you could maybe get a straight up ban for being there would be if you managed to get to GM Island. Which is a test island that really isn't used for anything, but sometimes GMs idle their character there while dealing with reports. I haven't checked for a long time but I know a while ago you could type '/who gm island' and occasionally get to see the name of a GM. You had to exploit to get there by modifying airship paths in your game files or some weird thing like that so it would fly you off the map, so you were pretty guilty if you managed to get there.

Edit:
The Horde capitol of Orgrimmar was redesigned in the most recent expansion. Before the redesign there was a wooden palisade you could jump over in a certain specific spot, that required a tricky jump to get to and it would land you into the generic world terrain that is underneath the city terrain. I would run around under the ground yelling at people and jumping out of solid walls at random passerbys.

I used to climb the rocky cliffs around the outside of the city and get on top of the main city gate. You weren't supposed to get up here, but I found out I could get onto these couple pixel wide ropes that were suspended over fatal drops. So obviously I helped get some friends up there, and I brought my warlock with. We started inviting random people and summoning them up to the narrow, hair-width rope were they would immediately run off and die. People would bitch us out, but some of them were in awe that we could get up there and thought it was really cool.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 23, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I seem to recall that it was also possible to get there with water walking and speed buffs.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
And in Orgrimmar there was a really tall tower and above it was a zeppelin that I remember some guy got up on top of it. (It was really, really up there). According to him it didn't have any collision in it so he fell to his doom through it.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

FuzzyPickles posted:

Yeah. They don't do a lot of real bans in WoW unless you are hacking, botting, selling gold, or scamming account info from people. Everything else you usually have to get warnings, suspensions and put in a lot of effort to work your way up to a ban.
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/account-penalties

The only restricted place you could maybe get a straight up ban for being there would be if you managed to get to GM Island. Which is a test island that really isn't used for anything, but sometimes GMs idle their character there while dealing with reports. I haven't checked for a long time but I know a while ago you could type '/who gm island' and occasionally get to see the name of a GM. You had to exploit to get there by modifying airship paths in your game files or some weird thing like that so it would fly you off the map, so you were pretty guilty if you managed to get there.

Edit:
The Horde capitol of Orgrimmar was redesigned in the most recent expansion. Before the redesign there was a wooden palisade you could jump over in a certain specific spot, that required a tricky jump to get to and it would land you into the generic world terrain that is underneath the city terrain. I would run around under the ground yelling at people and jumping out of solid walls at random passerbys.

I used to climb the rocky cliffs around the outside of the city and get on top of the main city gate. You weren't supposed to get up here, but I found out I could get onto these couple pixel wide ropes that were suspended over fatal drops. So obviously I helped get some friends up there, and I brought my warlock with. We started inviting random people and summoning them up to the narrow, hair-width rope were they would immediately run off and die. People would bitch us out, but some of them were in awe that we could get up there and thought it was really cool.

There was a similar exploit in one of the walls in the Trade District in Stormwind. Before Cataclysm, we used to drop down there for secret parties. People started trying to charge gold for instructions on how to get through, and that's when I got paranoid that we might draw the attention of a GM.

As for griefing, there were a lot of fun goofs to pull in Lineage: The Bloodpledge.

My favorite (which was eventually patched out for this reason) was an exploit in the game's trading system. For a good long time, maybe a solid year, there wasn't a "trade" system as we know them today. You'd just drag and drop an item from your inventory on to another player, and it would transfer to them.

Trouble was, unless they had their inventory open, they wouldn't know. So, there was this super common item in the game; Opaque Potion. It was utter garbage. Everything dropped them, they weighed a ton, and all they did was blind you for 10 minutes if you drank it. Plus, their icon was almost identical to the Health Potion icon (but that's another grief).

The trick goes something like, one person gets a player's attention (an offer to trade, duel, group, or just talk) and while they're distracted, a couple ranged characters stroll up behind them and start dumping Opaque Potions in to their inventory.

Now, clutter's a nuisance, but the heart of the trick was that all characters had an encumbrance limit based on their Strength. And the real delight of it was that exceeding that limit locked you in place, preventing you from doing anything, except empty your inventory on to the ground. So, if the two accomplices load a person up with enough potions, and they don't notice what's going on too quickly, they'll be pinned down until they open their inventory, and then they'll still be stuck until they unload enough garbage to lower their encumbrance.

As I said earlier, the two cohorts are ranged classes. While you're chatting up the weighed down mark, they stroll off in to the distance and start unloading magic and arrows in to him. Usually, they'd die long before figuring out why they couldn't move, let alone before they could empty their bags.

The cherries on top were that Lineage was one of those olde schoole type MMORPGs, where you'd lose experience (or even level down), and potentially drop something from your bags.

The best was when a couple friends and I pulled this on a guy, and while he was scrambling to drop all the potions, he accidentally drank one, so even when he was able to move again he couldn't see us.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I seem to recall that it was also possible to get there with water walking and speed buffs.

Not entirely, you had to actually edit the map files, and just walk your way there from the top of the continent. You can still get there pretty easily (and more legitimately [read: without hacking/editing map files]) but the whole place is instanced and doesn't actually look/work right anymore.

Arstan posted:

There was a similar exploit in one of the walls in the Trade District in Stormwind. Before Cataclysm, we used to drop down there for secret parties. People started trying to charge gold for instructions on how to get through, and that's when I got paranoid that we might draw the attention of a GM.

You can still drop below Stormwind if you know the right spot, and if you go the the right places you can get to spots where you can attack people without them being able to attack you back. You can also use it to simply get to other places you're not meant to be (it's amazing what you can do when you're able to fly under the world).

It's still funny to summon people to places that are really inaccessible and do something nasty or make them fall for a good minute in a coloured void to their death. There's a bunch of unfinished stuff that no-one's meant to see up north of the Eastern Kingdoms (eastern continent) that you can only get to by bypassing an invisible wall; there's a town there that has a bunch of holes that drop you into nothingness, and a lot of places that trap you or kill you. It's impossible to know where these places are so it's a good laugh summoning someone up there, or bringing an unsuspecting friend along and dropping them in while you fly away (and they can't fly out because of an invisible ceiling).

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Golden Bee posted:

TTT has been explained recently. Jail is "do as I say, or get shot." As fun as it sounds!

Jailbreak is cool in theory. You have just a few well armed guards trying to stop greater number of poorly or unarmed inmates. The idea is that the guards don't just massacre the inmates in their cells and the inmates don't run into a wall of gunfire waving a shiv. They're supposed to be crafty and wait till the have a chance to grab a gun or take out an inattentive guard or something.

The problem is that the guards are supposed to save lethal force for dangerous inmates, but since they know all of will be stabbed in the back at the first opportunity, they make up all these stupid rules about what is a shootable offence. So in the videos you can hear the guards giving very exact smug orders about where the inmates have to stand and whatever. The guy griefing is just shooting inmates in their cells before the round even really starts.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

FuzzyPickles posted:

In case someone is wondering, this is what your only way to get to the GM Island looks like.

So definitely hacking / breaking ToS.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Just got my first permaban in ages in Garry's Mod. :allears:

Was playing in a sandbox map, built a simple dune buggy that had a metal grate on the front covered in spinning sawblades. Drove that around for like 30 seconds, didn't even hit anyone, ended up driving it in front of the wrong person I guess and was perma'd.

It was a pretty awesome looking buggy, though.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
This is like the embodiment of every bad griefing video ever put on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvHIm-yx8U

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Segmentation Fault posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2yjntzAcoE

Guys from myg0t coerce a kid into RDMing (random deathmatching, i.e. killing someone for no reason) in a gmod custom gamemode called Trouble in Terrorist Town. Then it just snowballs from there.

Are myg0t still going? I remember they had a grief on potential members saying that they had to bake a cake saying something like 'myg0t owns me' then post a picture on the forums. All these pathetic losers baked really lovely cakes and posted them on the forums with awful pictures.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't myg0t specifically a hacking group? Why would you want to join them? "Yeah, I was in this super cool group and then got VAC banned for hacking, it's awesome."

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't myg0t specifically a hacking group? Why would you want to join them?
A rather cunning way to entice wanna be script kiddies. Plus it helps them learn some baking skills.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess he ate the whole thing himself.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Darval posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess he ate the whole thing himself.

Probably after he soaked it in his own tears because he didn't get to join their internet forum group thing

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Ah yes. Searching 'myg0t owns me' on Google Images with Safesearch off yielded some interesting results: "me sucking my own cock for myg0t"

:nws:http://www.whoisannie.com/ot/m4m4/sd3.jpg:nws:

:stare:

edit: also reading the forums is funny because it appears they've stolen the entire SA emoticon gallery

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 24, 2012

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Looking at the state of his place, I'm shocked he has the ability to bake a cake.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing he lives with his mom who collects books that she buys by the pound at goodwill.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Ah yes. Searching 'myg0t owns me' on Google Images with Safesearch off yielded some interesting results: "me sucking my own cock for myg0t"

:nws:http://www.whoisannie.com/ot/m4m4/sd3.jpg:nws:

:stare:

edit: also reading the forums is funny because it appears they've stolen the entire SA emoticon gallery

Sweet merciful jesus why would you do that why :gonk:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

If you have an instant messenger client or your own invision or phpBB board, you can too!
http://sae.tweek.us/

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

If you have an instant messenger client or your own invision or phpBB board, you can too!
http://sae.tweek.us/

Or webbrowser. use these stupid emotes on facebook and annoy/grief your friends

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Commissar posted:

Sweet merciful jesus why would you do that why :gonk:
FYAD got a goon to do that a while back too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437916

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

:gonk: What the hell does the Idiot King get to do and why would anyone let alone at least five people apply for it.

• Locked thread