Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

mootmoot posted:

So I whinged enough about the contemptible Bandit for the loan bike company to agree to change the bike. They have offered me a Honda CBF 600 or a YZF600R.

Which one is the most wixkedsik? I'm pretty sure both of them are duller than political debate but which one has more beans?

YZF600Rs are at least here in America a bit of an unknown very nice bike with somewhat dated looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Looking at another CB900C - this one looks decent, and is cheap.

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/3069451401.html

Any opinions?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

YZF600Rs are at least here in America a bit of an unknown very nice bike with somewhat dated looks.

They used to be common as heck here but I guess they've aged out of the US market. They were (very briefly) a top end sportbike, strong engine (for the day), good suspension, good brakes, comfortable. If it's not knackered as gently caress it's capable of p much any hoonery a Daytona is. (mootmoot's rental will be knackered as gently caress)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Backov posted:

Looking at another CB900C - this one looks decent, and is cheap.

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/3069451401.html

Any opinions?

Can't speak for PQ, but out here in the west you can find nicer unmolested examples for not a ton more. That said, if you're OK with what he did and it is in good shape, you could probably do worse.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

C'mon, which would you rather have, a Bandit, a Hornet, or a Thundercat

Not a Hornet, a CBF600. It's the grey-suited distant relative, and I stress distant.

You want the chundercat mootmoot. Try not to kill yourself.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Snowdens Secret posted:

They used to be common as heck here but I guess they've aged out of the US market. They were (very briefly) a top end sportbike, strong engine (for the day), good suspension, good brakes, comfortable. If it's not knackered as gently caress it's capable of p much any hoonery a Daytona is. (mootmoot's rental will be knackered as gently caress)

They just don't seem to be nearly as common as the Honda F3/4. They are definitely around but I think Honda must have outsold the YZF at a 3:1 ratio at least.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
What's the general consensus on BMWs?

I had a Suzuki SV650 for about two years but sold it for various reasons, and now I'm looking at buying another bike because I kind of miss riding, however I want something with a bit more fairing and maybe a little more power than the SV.

The BMW F800ST really caught my eye and is what I'm looking at, used however, not new as they are like 13k :o:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
F800, ST especially, is a fairly nice middleweight bike, I hear. Haven't ridden one yet, but spent that last 12 weeks working on them off and on, and they seemed decent, weight and size wise. I think the engine will be less entertaining than the SV650 though. And they are a fully modern BMW, in the sense of the electronics design, which means they'll be fairly expensive to mess with if anything goes wrong on them.

One cool thing I recently learned about that generation of BMWs is that the RF chip in the ignition key works in such a way with the engine computer that it's effectively impossible to hotwire and steal the bike without your key. The engine computer comes preprogrammed at the factory with 10 separate codes and like 3 keys that match 3 of those codes. The only way to get keys with codes that match your individual engine computer is to have BMW make you one at the factory in Berlin. And if you throw another engine computer into the bike, it won't work either, because the engine computer has to communicate using another set of individualized codes with all the other computers on the bike.

Although I suppose that's standard on a lot of modern motor vehicles. It sounded like Star Trek to me cause my BMW can literally be started and driven off by shoving twigs into the ignition switch or cutting all the wires that come out of the engine in one bundle.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

F800, ST especially, is a fairly nice middleweight bike, I hear. Haven't ridden one yet, but spent that last 12 weeks working on them off and on, and they seemed decent, weight and size wise. I think the engine will be less entertaining than the SV650 though. And they are a fully modern BMW, in the sense of the electronics design, which means they'll be fairly expensive to mess with if anything goes wrong on them.

One cool thing I recently learned about that generation of BMWs is that the RF chip in the ignition key works in such a way with the engine computer that it's effectively impossible to hotwire and steal the bike without your key. The engine computer comes preprogrammed at the factory with 10 separate codes and like 3 keys that match 3 of those codes. The only way to get keys with codes that match your individual engine computer is to have BMW make you one at the factory in Berlin. And if you throw another engine computer into the bike, it won't work either, because the engine computer has to communicate using another set of individualized codes with all the other computers on the bike.

Although I suppose that's standard on a lot of modern motor vehicles. It sounded like Star Trek to me cause my BMW can literally be started and driven off by shoving twigs into the ignition switch or cutting all the wires that come out of the engine in one bundle.

If this is like the car system they put on the E9x s...it may not be quite as secure as you think. :staredog:

e: but yeah, use a lock and it's a great bike.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm seriously considering a 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS, one of the second-gen 'Stroms. Has anyone here purchased one recently and, if so, what's a good OTD price for one of them?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Thinking about buying a motorbike for the first time however I've never ridden before, can someone explain to me how the experience of the MSF course is? Do they charge you if you drop the bike they provide?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Thinking about buying a motorbike for the first time however I've never ridden before, can someone explain to me how the experience of the MSF course is? Do they charge you if you drop the bike they provide?
No. It goes all weekend including friday night, there are a couple hours of "class" time each day where they teach you various concepts, and saturday and sunday you ride around a parking lot in mapped-out maneuvers with cones. At the end of sunday, they run you through another cone course that tests all the poo poo they just taught you, and if you get under X points wrong in it, you pass. They will fail you if you drop the bike during the test, though. You need long sleeves and pants and gloves of some kind, and they usually provide helmets.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Z3n posted:

Can't go wrong with the vstrom 650/1000. General consensus is that the 650 is the more fun bike, but the 1k might be better for 2 up. I'd probably go with the 650 though.

More boring than the Buell, but will get the job done for sure.

this is from a couple pages back but does anyone have experience riding both the wee and vstroms? there seems to be the general opinion that the 650 is lighter and more agile off-road yet doesn't lack power on the freeway. my wife is tiny but we'll probably have 100 lbs of crap stuffed into panniers and top box so we would probably weigh as much as a couple of fat dudes riding two up..
650 is my preference still but I am seeing a few well kitted out 1000s too. I don't think someone is going to let me test drive in the dirt and mud so not sure I can do a comparison myself.
I would like to know if anyone has ridden them back to back and can comment?

I appreciate the input of a buell but both the guys I know who ride buells are both having problems with theirs right now - cr1125 constant ongoing electric niggles and cb9 or 12 I think with some engine problems that may or may not be pricey to fix.
you don't really seem to hear about vstroms having issues often. plus I get the feeling parts availability outside of the USA might be a challenge.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GanjamonII posted:

I don't think someone is going to let me test drive in the dirt and mud so not sure I can do a comparison myself.

Both bikes will be terrible in mud, but if you have a gravel road between where you are and where you want to be, that's where the strom will shine.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

oh em gee bee ess posted:

I just finished the local MSF BRC course here yesterday and I would 100% recommend the course.

The first day was all in a classroom reviewing the 50 page handbook going over the 150 review questions at the back of the book (6-10pm Fri). We then spent the entire weekend on a motorcycle (8a-5p Sat, 8a-1p Sun) doing progressive drills where a skill learned in a prior drill was used in the next. There were scored 4 driving tests, 1 early in the day Sunday and 3 at the end of the day, followed by the written test at 1pm. I was home by 2:30. you could have up to 21 'penalty' points and still pass the driving test. Points were added depending on the type of infraction, there were multiple criteria being scored/measured for each test.

We had two people drop out, but neither of them had ever used a clutch before, even in a car. Only 1 of them dropped the bike however she wasn't hurt at all, really shook up though, it had been raining for the prior 30 minutes and some of the students were pretty nervous (including her). The parking lot was sloped so there wasn't much if any standing water. After it happened she took a break and then decided to drop the class. It was understandable but it was 2:30pm on Saturday and she might have made it through to the end, everyone else that stuck around passed both the driving tests and the written test and another of the ladies in the class wasn't any better than her.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm being negative about the women in the class, all but 1 of the students in the class was new to motorcycles and we all struggled - the most experienced rider in the class put his foot down in the U-Turn test.

Overall it was a great class, I wasn't sure if I was going to take it or not and I'm glad I did.

taketheshot
Sep 18, 2002

Wicaeed posted:

What's the general consensus on BMWs?

I had a Suzuki SV650 for about two years but sold it for various reasons, and now I'm looking at buying another bike because I kind of miss riding, however I want something with a bit more fairing and maybe a little more power than the SV.

The BMW F800ST really caught my eye and is what I'm looking at, used however, not new as they are like 13k :o:

I was considering a F800ST, demo'ed one and thought it was a pretty great bike, other than the $14k new cost. There is an emphasis on sport more than touring but it seems comfortable enough for moderate trips, was lightweight and was very easy to turn in. The power won't blow you away (~85 hp/55 lb-ft torque) but it works for its intended purpose. My biggest minor gripes were the turn signal system takes some getting used to, and the stock footpeg position is pretty high, as high as some pure sportbikes I've ridden. I've heard the earlier years, 2007-2008, had some reliability issues, but I think by 2009 most of the kinks were ironed out.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Gallatin posted:

the most experienced rider in the class put his foot down in the U-Turn test.

That goddamn slow speed U-turn is the hardest part of the test. We had experienced riders getting points on that one, too. We had 2 out of our class of 28 with a perfect score. If you didn't score perfect, it was the u-turn.

I took it a couple weeks ago, with no prior motorcycle experience. You won't regret it. First day actually on the bikes, they start you out slipping the clutch to get a feel for it, start slowly power walking it, moving on to actually riding.

Nobody failed, even people who seemed SUPER awkward and uncoordinated on the bike. Had a few people drop bikes over the weekend as well, it's no big deal. DID have a couple drop outs. Basically, if you stick out the whole weekend and manage to not run yourself over with your bike during the test, you'll pass.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I'm looking to get into motorcycles, gonna take the MSF next month. I think I'll be getting a gen 2 SV650 as my first bike. Would this be an okay deal for a first bike?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/3045190999.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

yergacheffe posted:

I'm looking to get into motorcycles, gonna take the MSF next month. I think I'll be getting a gen 2 SV650 as my first bike. Would this be an okay deal for a first bike?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/3045190999.html

That's a reasonable deal, but I'd recommend taking the MSF first and then searching for a bike. Riding a motorcycle before you buy one is usually a good idea. If you can, show up and get waitlisted for an MSF class, it's quite likely you'll get in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

That's a reasonable deal, but I'd recommend taking the MSF first and then searching for a bike. Riding a motorcycle before you buy one is usually a good idea. If you can, show up and get waitlisted for an MSF class, it's quite likely you'll get in.

Agreed, some folks even do the MSF and then after the experience decide it's not worth it to pursue riding. Might as well MSF up and see if you really want to ride, then look for the ride.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Agreed, some folks even do the MSF and then after the experience decide it's not worth it to pursue riding. Might as well MSF up and see if you really want to ride, then look for the ride.

I agree -- you should do it this way, because it is way more likely that riding at the MSF will make you want MORE, and you'll be even more excited about getting your own bike.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
Having just finished the MSF, I'm pretty sure I want a dual sport or a sport bike.

I'm going to ride a 2010 XT250 tonight that a friend of mine is selling, it's in good shape and I want to see if I like it.

Based on the advice of getting a used Ninja 250 I found these two that seem reasonable, what do you guys think?
http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/3040136705.html
http://masoncity.craigslist.org/mcy/3042989005.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Good deal on a the second one, marginal deal on the first one.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Z3n posted:

Good deal on a the second one, marginal deal on the first one.

Ok thanks, I'll go look at the '11.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm already signed up for the MSF on Jul ~28, so I'll wait until afterwards to buy a bike. I'm pretty antsy/excited about it, and was just trying to get a feel for the used bike market in the bay area while I wait.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm already signed up for the MSF on Jul ~28, so I'll wait until afterwards to buy a bike. I'm pretty antsy/excited about it, and was just trying to get a feel for the used bike market in the bay area while I wait.

The Bay Area market is generally expensive, but the volume is really high so there are pretty regular deals to be had.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Alright, I might have to hit you up Z3n if I'm still interested in biking after the MSF. You seem to be the guy to talk to for getting bikes around here :)

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

yergacheffe posted:

Alright, I might have to hit you up Z3n if I'm still interested in biking after the MSF. You seem to be the guy to talk to for getting bikes around here :)

...and the Z3n army grows

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

To be fair, he is an awesome guy in real life.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

what i just like motorcycles

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Z3n posted:

what i just like motorcycles

Not hating... just narrating my observations. Sometimes I get bored of talking to myself.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's why I am buying Sena SMH-10's. :unsmith:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
This one looks legit:
http://rockford.craigslist.org/mcy/3102706973.html

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
The 2010 XT250 I looked at just seems too small and the 2011 Ninja 250 was no longer available; I still think I'd like either a Dual Sport or a Sport bike.

Here are a couple more ads from my area that I'd go take a look at depending on what you guys think:

2009 KLR 650 $3800, 2545 miles (look like best deal)
http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/3006294511.html

2008 KLR 650 $4200, 3200 miles
http://fortdodge.craigslist.org/mcy/3053105484.html

2006 KLR 650, $3300, 3000 miles
http://masoncity.craigslist.org/mcy/3103275022.html

2009 Ninja 250, $2800, 2300 miles
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/mcy/3104690613.html

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Xovaan posted:

To be fair, he is an awesome guy in real life.

Have you noticed how everything from bunnies to ducks just dies around him?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Have you noticed how everything from bunnies to ducks just dies around him?

Bunway is quite fine, thank you.

As are the bunnies.

I do have bad luck with Ducks though, but in fairness, that only happened when she went on to her next home.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

You guys, do you think my 250 Rebel will start struggling if I carry this guy as my passenger? He's fat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If it doesn't struggle with only you, consider gaining weight.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

You guys, do you think my 250 Rebel will start struggling if I carry this guy as my passenger? He's fat.

That a big oil filter. Does it fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/3107039336.html

Guy is interested in trading his GR650 (above) for my friend's Datsun 280zx (he's only looking for a grand for it). The guy is willing to throw $200 on top for the trade if he likes the Datsun. Think it's a decent deal? Not too many options for bikes under a grand in SoCal (or people willing to trade for his beater, for that matter)