Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

an_mutt posted:

I don't really know how to have them fly out without making the lines entirely passable for monsters, and I assume turning the fence itself into a sector will stop the sides being see-through. Saying that though, I can't think of anything else that can pass through them if remove the block monster parameter, so if I make another update I'll look into that more closely. The idea behind that area is that it's a side-area that can be found through finding a secret (did you find it? I assume not). During one playthrough I think one did fly out, but at the other side of the area which I cannot explain at all.

Yeah, the blur sphere is intended for the Spider Mastermind yet I wanted the player to have to leave their cover to grab that (and the ammo that's scattered around the key). Having it closer would make it too obvious and that's a fight where I want to force the player out of their safety zone if they want any further advantages than what they already have.

Yeah, gotcha on the Cacodemon thing. I've done a little mapping myself so I know it can be tricky to set things up like that. If your concern is keeping the player out of there, I suppose you could always just put a raised sector there or try extending a particularly deep lava chasm there and make the edges impassable to the player only (is that possible? Can't recall now). I didn't find the secret to get in there, unfortunately - I suck at finding secrets generally.

Good point on the blur artifact. I just snagged it right after I found it, thinking I was going to need it for the trap I had just triggered since the whole room is full of crates that pop open - not knowing that the Spider Demon trap would trigger shortly afterwards.

I should say that like Tiger Schwert I also liked the part where you fight through the lava flow - I didn't find the radiation suits at first so the cramped conditions and the lava running down the middle forcing you to hug the walls as much as possible makes things interesting.

There is one other minor thing I noticed upon my second playthrough:

You can see the crate on the left is too tall for the texture and then there's what appears to be a stray pair of vertices in the middle of the metal wall linedef there, causing a bit of that pipe-looking metal texture to appear in the middle of the wall. If you can't get rid of it without messing up the wall, maybe replacing it with a support beam or strip light texture would look better. *shrug*

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The new version did in fact fix my issues with the map. Like a lot of folks, the lava flow bits were my favorites. They managed to be mazey without being too hard to navigate. And the radiation suit storage boxes were one of my favorite bits of decoration, and having multiple suits per box gives you plenty of time to freely explore the lava.

I did, however, manage to get myself stuck behind these two boxes by the yellow door, even with jumping enabled:

...I'm not doing this on purpose.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 24, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I may be the last person ever to discover this, but the Nazis mod and the Epic2 megawad is the best combination ever.

Seriously, if it had been a commercially released game in the mid-90s, I would have bought the poo poo out of it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I may be the last person ever to discover this, but the Nazis mod and the Epic2 megawad is the best combination ever.

It's the developers own recommendation - He had Epic 2 in mind when making Nazis, as Egypt + Super-science/Occult Weirdless + Nazis is always a winning combo.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

The Kins posted:

Quickly Launchering GZDoom - A good launcher program by our very own SavageMessiah!
Hey, good idea! I've been having trouble trying to get the other utilities to work. Thank God a goon came along to make things simpl-- oh, guess not. :smith:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ask.com? Really?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

Hey, good idea! I've been having trouble trying to get the other utilities to work. Thank God a goon came along to make things simpl-- oh, guess not. :smith:

:what: Seriously?

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

Cream_Filling posted:

Ask.com? Really?

Mak0rz posted:

:what: Seriously?
These replies are exceedingly helpful in helping me troubleshoot this utility so I can play modded Doom2 wad files. I'll try these suggestions, thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

These replies are exceedingly helpful in helping me troubleshoot this utility so I can play modded Doom2 wad files. I'll try these suggestions, thanks!

Help you with what, exactly? Expanding the QLZD window? You didn't even ask anything, you just quoted a section of the OP and started complaining about it.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Help you with what, exactly? Expanding the QLZD window? :psyduck:
If you've looked at the image that I linked, you'll see that I marked that I was unable to expand the window. It's stuck at that size.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's supposed to be a fixed size. Some of the buttons look wonky for you because your text size is set to "loving massive".

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

If you've looked at the image that I linked, you'll see that I marked that I was unable to expand the window. It's stuck at that size.

Redownload and try again, I just uploaded a new build that should autosize the form.
The text will still be weird on the buttons, but everything should be visible now.

That's as good as it's going to get until I work up the motivation to rewrite the thing in something besides AHK. It's been sufficient for me and mine for years now so sadly I haven't got a lot of motivation to fix it. :shobon:

Edit: What the hell DPI are your fonts at? That's loving massive.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

My apologies. It turns out that my vision loss is accelerating and my DPI is indeed higher than everyone else's. It's time for a new prescription.

Thanks and I'll be sure to squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of this before my world goes dark. :unsmith:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I've been playing Reelism lately and holy hell Internet Machine is the worst map ever

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WickedIcon posted:

So I've been playing Reelism lately and holy hell Internet Machine is the worst map ever
I don't like it either, and I made the drat thing. It's too jumbled and haphazard and it doesn't really work out.

Maybe at some point I'll make a not-terrible map with those textures. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Truthfully if it wasn't made up almost entirely of instadeath pits it would be fairly nice. Platforming of any kind has no place in Doom.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been trying to play through Blake Stone again and while it's still fun, it's been hard going. I wish there was something for it in the vein of zdoom that gave it better mouse/keyboard support.

Also, does anyone have a link for the dedicated "Mods" thread that was kicking around games a few months ago. I can't seem to find it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

WickedIcon posted:

Truthfully if it wasn't made up almost entirely of instadeath pits it would be fairly nice. Platforming of any kind has no place in Doom.
This really can't be overstated. I'm pretty sure that half the grey hairs on my head have been caused solely by Jumpmaze. :negative:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

The Kins posted:

I don't like it either, and I made the drat thing. It's too jumbled and haphazard and it doesn't really work out.

Maybe at some point I'll make a not-terrible map with those textures. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

What is the solid-colored house in Internet Machine an allusion to? I could swear it reminds me of some Linux tank game from the 90s...

Oh hey so also. Is it possible to add/replace slots to Reelism? The Nintendo 64 fog doesn't work in my Wine-powered version of gzdoom, for example, and the Kooks and Spooks slot is really annoying :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fren posted:

What is the solid-colored house in Internet Machine an allusion to? I could swear it reminds me of some Linux tank game from the 90s...

Oh hey so also. Is it possible to add/replace slots to Reelism? The Nintendo 64 fog doesn't work in my Wine-powered version of gzdoom, for example, and the Kooks and Spooks slot is really annoying :(
It's a nod to bad '90s "virtual reality". And sadly it's not possible to remove slots on the user side. :( Kooks should be getting an addition or two soon, though, which should even out the endless swarms of goddamn bats.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also gently caress sectoids forever especially when they're on the first wave and you get Famine or Melee Masters.

Add the Grease slot for extra "hilarity." :negative:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I guess you want there to be a certain level of consistency with only being max two different kinds of monsters per round, but I was hoping for like, five or six different kinds of imps from the bestiary.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The final argument for games as art.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WickedIcon posted:

Also gently caress sectoids forever especially when they're on the first wave and you get Famine or Melee Masters.

Add the Grease slot for extra "hilarity." :negative:
I'm actually fixing this in the next big expansion/update that'll come at some vague point. There's now a "whitelist" of reels that can show up in the first round, so you have a vague chance of getting some traction going before everything goes to hell.

Fren posted:

I guess you want there to be a certain level of consistency with only being max two different kinds of monsters per round, but I was hoping for like, five or six different kinds of imps from the bestiary.
Oh, I totally want to add more monsters to existing reels, like how I added new weapons to old reels in the first expansion.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IYDmZRNyzE

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Hey, Kazvall, I think I know what mod to play on your server next. :laugh:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

intheend.midi is so sick

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

Hey, Kazvall, I think I know what mod to play on your server next. :laugh:

Dude, you should check out Do-it2.wad

It has more than one room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4S5jFHXaP8

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
This has probably been asked before, but how do I set up an Xbox 360 controller with Skulltag, so that the left and right triggers control firing?

One Man Show
Jun 26, 2012

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

This is a common oversight in programming and I'm not sure why resizing wouldn't be enabled. I couldn't find a newbie tutorial on Google so I couldn't give you a snarky "letmegooglethatforyou" response, which probably made whoever bought your title impotent with rage so they resorted to insults, so I am going to be the mature adult in this thread. Giving someone a custom title because they have accessibility options without realizing it'd have an adverse effect on third party utilities? That's loving stupid. I changed it back for you, by the way.

Get qZDL, latest version. This will let you resize the window to fit your text size.
Put everything in one root C:\ directory. I use doom2.
Run qZDL and click on Settings tab at the top.
In the left window under "source ports", add the base doom exe, like zdoom.exe.
In the right window under "IWADs", add the base wad, like doom2.wad.
Now click on the Main tab at the top.
Under "External Files", add your modded WAD.
Click "Launch".

This is all assuming you're playing single player.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

One Man Show posted:

This is all assuming you're playing single player.
THANK YOU, this is exactly the idiot-proof guide that I needed! I redownloaded that Quickerly Launcher thing and I still couldn't get it to work because I ran into the same issues, so I had just given up. You didn't have to change my title back, though. I agree with the fortunately employed goon who was able to afford my title because s/he is able to earn a paycheck for a living. I do deserve to be called stupid because my eyes don't have the ability to read small text like normal people do, so therefore I don't deserve the same quality of life as everyone else. No one should have any understanding or empathy for people who requires special assistance to function. That being said, I've changed my text size back to Windows' factory settings and will have to break out the magnifier tool whenever squinting and leaning really close to the monitor is insufficient.

Would the launcher have an effect on what order the maps are loaded? I gave this a shot with the Wolfendoom conversion and at the end of E1M1, I took the secret elevator to take me to E1M10 and it took me straight to E1M2 instead.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zero Star posted:

This has probably been asked before, but how do I set up an Xbox 360 controller with Skulltag, so that the left and right triggers control firing?

Xpadder is probably the best thing to use. You'll need to set up a profile to bind keys on your keyboard to buttons/triggers on the gamepad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, I had a little bit of an epiphany earlier, regarding the Nazis! mod.

Nazis! replaces all enemies, guns, sounds and the HUD.
Epic 2 (the recommended campaign, as it fits the Afrika Korps enemies) replaces all levels, music and most textures.
Combined, this means that they're a perfect combo to be used with Freedoom, effectively making Nazis! a standalone game.

I uploaded this to Mediafire. All it needs is unpacking, then applying your personal settings. Mouselook is required, BTW.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

THANK YOU, this is exactly the idiot-proof guide that I needed! I redownloaded that Quickerly Launcher thing and I still couldn't get it to work because I ran into the same issues, so I had just given up. You didn't have to change my title back, though. I agree with the fortunately employed goon who was able to afford my title because s/he is able to earn a paycheck for a living. I do deserve to be called stupid because my eyes don't have the ability to read small text like normal people do, so therefore I don't deserve the same quality of life as everyone else. No one should have any understanding or empathy for people who requires special assistance to function. That being said, I've changed my text size back to Windows' factory settings and will have to break out the magnifier tool whenever squinting and leaning really close to the monitor is insufficient.

Would the launcher have an effect on what order the maps are loaded? I gave this a shot with the Wolfendoom conversion and at the end of E1M1, I took the secret elevator to take me to E1M10 and it took me straight to E1M2 instead.

Wow, I'm so sorry that I expressed moderate surprise at the size of your fonts and then attempted to help you. You could have said that the change didn't help you so that I could try again rather than feeling sorry for yourself. I won't make that mistake again.

The dialog is fixed size because it's a titanic pain in the rear end to make a GUI written in AHK to resize cleanly. Sorry it harms you. Try another launcher like ZDLSharp.

For what it's worth, I didn't buy the title.

Sorry for the derail.

EDIT: Actually ZDLSharp probably won't size right either so this is how to do it without a launcher:
1. Make a directory somewhere like C:\Doom or whatever
2. Extract GZdoom or whatever port you like there
3. Put doom2.wad (or dodom.wad) and whatever other wads you want there
4. Win+r, cmd
5. cd C:\Doom
6. gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad <your wad here>

EDIT2: I made that mistake again :unsmith:

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2012

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

So, I had a little bit of an epiphany earlier, regarding the Nazis! mod.

Nazis! replaces all enemies, guns, sounds and the HUD.
Epic 2 (the recommended campaign, as it fits the Afrika Korps enemies) replaces all levels, music and most textures.
Combined, this means that they're a perfect combo to be used with Freedoom, effectively making Nazis! a standalone game.

I uploaded this to Mediafire. All it needs is unpacking, then applying your personal settings. Mouselook is required, BTW.

I've been playing the first three levels and is really fun so far. I like the weapons and to me can perfectly be a Wolfenstein sequel (but better than the original!).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I've been playing the first three levels and is really fun so far. I like the weapons and to me can perfectly be a Wolfenstein sequel (but better than the original!).

Just a fair warning - there's no enemy friendly fire (they don't infight, but they can hurt each other) above Skill 2, which is still pretty challenging. It's basically 'easy, normal, hard, very hard, insane' rather than making the UV-equivalent the default.

Edit: Also, replace the doom2.wad with a real Doom2.wad to kill the last of the Freedoom jankiness.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 27, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The thing now with Brutal Doom is that it's gotten so big that people are starting to produce add-on packs for it that let you tune some of the more controversial features (ugh, those new sounds). I'm on the fence in some ways, but I absolutely can't imagine playing without the assault rifle now, because the pistol sucked terribly. I also like the reloading, even though I grew up with classic doom.

Here's a few I've found. Maybe people can make/share their own.

classic weapon sprites pack:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33169

Old rifle, other graphics tweaks:

Mike12 posted:

Here's a little something I put together for you guys:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h63m9vi2ew2og0h

It's a set of three addon .pk3 files for those who want it.

The main one simply replaces the Mancubus Flamecannon and Revenant Launchers with the updated ones I did many pages back, since they haven't been implemented yet (assuming Sarge still wants to use them. If so, I guess this is a bit of a headstart), as well as that updated fistpump animation I played around with.

The one with '-sg' is the same deal, but has the shotgun graphics from v15/v15a as well

And finally the one with '-mike' contains both the contents from the main file and '-sg', as well as the rifle graphics from v13 (which I updated with the current muzzleflash and rigged to the current meatshields)

Just load up the one you want in front of the base Brutal Doom file and you're set.

(And needless to say, I'll remove this post/contents if Sarge has any objections.)
Also there's a fix for the torch sounds:
code:
Actor TallTorch_Blue : TallTorch_Red replaces BlueTorch
{
states
   {
   Spawn:
        TNT1 A 0 A_CheckSight("Spawn2")
        //TNT1 A 0 A_Playsound("props/redfire")

TNT1 A 0 bright A_CustomMissile ("RealFlameTrailsBlue", 58, 0, random (0, 360), 2, random (70, 110))
      TNT1 A 0 A_CustomMissile ("BallGettingReadyBlue", 59, 0, random (0, 140), 2, random (0, 160))
      TTRB AA 2 bright A_SpawnItem("BlueFlare22",0,59)
      Loop

Spawn2:
        //TNT1 A 0 A_Playsound("props/redfire")
      TTRB A 1
      Goto Spawn

}
}

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

gently caress. Sorry. Kins. I love Reelism. I criticize it because I love it.

I don't remember having this problem before 1.3, but floating monsters now seem to get in my way -- as in collide with me and prevent my movement -- and if I'm flying and I'm surrounded by, say, dogs, they intercept me so that I can't move laterally, even though I'm dozens of feet above them. I'm not sure that's intentional or not, but yeah.

Also, the new item, the pusher-away-er thing, shows up as a white exclamation point in a red diamond instead of a particular item image.

Also also, the alien hands weapon can be terribly abused as its velocity is dependent on the angle at which the user is looking. So if I look straight down and fire it, the flames stay precisely still, meaning I can sort of create these defensive walls with it. If I look just slightly less than straight down and fire them, the flames move, albeit very very slowly. So I can sort of have this moving wall of damage up and down Gutrot Island.

Crazy Legs
Nov 6, 2010
Playing Epic with Nazis is probably the most atmospheric way to play Doom, but it's really starting to get me with the whole some enemies always face you thing. It's starting to make a lot of the levels way too difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fren posted:

I don't remember having this problem before 1.3, but floating monsters now seem to get in my way -- as in collide with me and prevent my movement -- and if I'm flying and I'm surrounded by, say, dogs, they intercept me so that I can't move laterally, even though I'm dozens of feet above them. I'm not sure that's intentional or not, but yeah.
Check your Compatibility Settings. You might have Infinite Actor Height turned on.

Fren posted:

Also, the new item, the pusher-away-er thing, shows up as a white exclamation point in a red diamond instead of a particular item image.
That IS its image :haw:

Fren posted:

Also also, the alien hands weapon can be terribly abused as its velocity is dependent on the angle at which the user is looking. So if I look straight down and fire it, the flames stay precisely still, meaning I can sort of create these defensive walls with it. If I look just slightly less than straight down and fire them, the flames move, albeit very very slowly. So I can sort of have this moving wall of damage up and down Gutrot Island.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have a poke at it.