Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lol you should write brainfuck :iamafag: :fuckingkillme:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ZShakespeare posted:

They're "weird" in the sense that once you actually get a job you'll be writing Java for SAP in a cubicle for the rest of your life.

true :smith:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
based on casual inspection, forth is rad as hell

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
these are loafers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

haw, like on that simpson show!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

except that the only way to use it for any interesting application is to reinvent smalltalk around it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

v:geno:v

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

rotor posted:

whoah, drat furries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUF_%28programming_language%29

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

haskell

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

ZShakespeare posted:

For one of my final projects before I get my degree I have to learn a "weird" language and do a big report that compares and blah blah blah with examples. The suggested languages are Clojure, Erlang, Go, Groovy, and Scala. I can ask for approval to do any language though as long as it's an actually language so no HLA or forth or some poo poo like that.

what is the most YOSPOS language?

http://pragprog.com/book/btlang/seven-languages-in-seven-weeks

skimming through this book might be useful for you

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
use Whitespace for your project

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ZShakespeare posted:

For one of my final projects before I get my degree I have to learn a "weird" language and do a big report that compares and blah blah blah with examples. The suggested languages are Clojure, Erlang, Go, Groovy, and Scala. I can ask for approval to do any language though as long as it's an actually language so no HLA or forth or some poo poo like that.

PROLOG :q:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

ZShakespeare posted:

For one of my final projects before I get my degree I have to learn a "weird" language and do a big report that compares and blah blah blah with examples. The suggested languages are Clojure, Erlang, Go, Groovy, and Scala.

Clojure, Erlang, Go have interesting concurrency primitives - stm, message passing, channels. Scala and Groovy mostly. differ from java in the type systems - Scala has more, Groovy has less.

Clojure is probably the most different in syntax, erlang is probably the most different in semantics. Groovy is just java without type signatures.

Clojure, Erlang are good choices for weirdness.

You could also put F#, Ocaml, Haskell on there too.

quote:

I can ask for approval to do any language though as long as it's an actually language so no HLA or forth or some poo poo like that.

I joked with prolog, but honestly it's the most removed from all the weird languages you suggest. The closest thing to writing prolog is SQL. Thing is, it's so weird as to make the comparisons less than useful.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

tef posted:

I joked with prolog, but honestly it's the most removed from all the weird languages you suggest. The closest thing to writing prolog is SQL. Thing is, it's so weird as to make the comparisons less than useful.

i like how some people think sql is weird when it actually makes pretty good sense for working with pure data structures

it definitely is written in teh wrong order though joins should go first like with linq

also gently caress wheres me natural joins already

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

do groovy but just write normal java

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Janin posted:

none of those languages are "weird" unless your professor only knows java and c#

why aren't you allowed to use forth? it's got a language spec, several mostly-compatible implementations, and lots of libraries.

Another unusual language is J http://www.jsoftware.com/

yes. they are weird because no one would use them over java/c# irl

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
what about dart

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ZShakespeare posted:

if you want to coast through the assignment, choose Groovy

if you want to learn some poo poo, choose Clojure

if you want to learn some poo poo and maybe get a job in the Bay Area afterwards, choose Scala

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I'd argue that erlang would be a good choice because there is lots to compare and contrast, unlike groovy

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ZShakespeare posted:

They're "weird" in the sense that once you actually get a job you'll be writing Java for SAP in a cubicle for the rest of your life.

I got a job writing scala.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

I got a C# question. If I'm doing a Composite Pattern using interfaces, is there a fast way to implement an interface with a masterclass and then automatically delegate the behavior to a component?

Here's an example, I'd really like to not have to write out how BaseballPlayer does the SwingBat, CallShot, and RunToBase methods, and just have all that responsibility offloaded to BatBehavior.
code:
    interface IBattingBehavior
    {
        void SwingBat();
        void CallShot();
        void RunToBase(int baseNumber);
    }

class BaseballPlayer : IBattingBehavior
    {
        IBattingBehavior BatBehavior;

public void SwingBat() { BatBehavior.SwingBat();}
        public void CallShot() { BatBehavior.CallShot();}
        public void RunToBase(int baseNumber) { BatBehavior.RunToBase(baseNumber);}
    }

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
why is the bat running to the base

did you mean Cricket?

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

The batter is running, not the bat. But that's not important!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
should be BatterBehavior, imo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or really just Batter

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

c# owns, i'm sorry i ever doubted you shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
:hfive:

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

c# does own and i wish people would pay me to use it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shameproof posted:

I got a C# question. If I'm doing a Composite Pattern using interfaces, is there a fast way to implement an interface with a masterclass and then automatically delegate the behavior to a component?

Here's an example, I'd really like to not have to write out how BaseballPlayer does the SwingBat, CallShot, and RunToBase methods, and just have all that responsibility offloaded to BatBehavior.
code:
    {
        void SwingBat();
        void CallShot();
    }

{

}

If you create the interface first then when your class extends the interface a little thing should pop up allowing you to automatically implement all the interfaces methods. This is assuming you're using visual studio

its easy to miss like a tiny red line will appear at the end of your class's name. hover your mouse over it and you should see that as an option.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shameproof posted:

code:
    {
        void SwingBat();
        void CallShot();
    }

{

}

e: i'm dumb

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
edit: ha i saw that edit

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm new at this c# thing :saddowns:

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
i get paid to undo lovely c# done by terrible offshore contractors, i rewrite their entire poo poo with like 8 lines of linq

the problem comes in when their "job security" database techniques gently caress me by doing cross database joins on different physical machines and wreck my elegance

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i would probably use c# more if the entity framework worked w/ our sql 2000 server

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
do they not have sql server 2008 r2 in maine yet (soon to be sql server 2012 awesome edition)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we're slowly working on a 2008 r2 migration. they dont want to go to 2012 b/c some dumb thing like not jumping on new tech or w/e.

right now they're still deciding if we should go with enterprise or just get standard and spend 2x as much on hacks to get the features in enterprise. also i have been informed that they were able to free up enough disk on the san so that the new sql VMs wont need to be on a lun shared with other vms!

i am assured that this will all work out.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also death to all orms. statement mapping ftw

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

I was hoping there was a library that lets me do it like this.

code:
    interface IBatterBehavior
    {
        void SwingBat();
        void CallShot();
    }

class BaseballPlayer : IBatterBehavior
    {
	//Automatically make Batter handle the IBatterBehavior implementation.
	[Implementer<IBatterBehavior>()]
        IBattingBehavior Batter;

//This code becomes unnecessary
        public void SwingBat() { Batter.SwingBat();}
        public void CallShot() { Batter.CallShot();}
        public void RunToBase(int baseNumber) { Batter.RunToBase(baseNumber);}
    }
or something similar.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

we're slowly working on a 2008 r2 migration. they dont want to go to 2012 b/c some dumb thing like not jumping on new tech or w/e.

right now they're still deciding if we should go with enterprise or just get standard and spend 2x as much on hacks to get the features in enterprise. also i have been informed that they were able to free up enough disk on the san so that the new sql VMs wont need to be on a lun shared with other vms!

i am assured that this will all work out.

lol if you are not separating each disk as a separate lun

each sql server instance should have 7-9 luns, fiber as fast as possible, and the logs should be raid 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shameproof posted:

I was hoping there was a library that lets me do it like this.

code:
    interface IBatterBehavior
    {
        void SwingBat();
        void CallShot();
    }

class BaseballPlayer : IBatterBehavior
    {
	//Automatically make Batter handle the IBatterBehavior implementation.
	[Implementer<IBatterBehavior>()]
        IBattingBehavior Batter;

//This code becomes unnecessary
        public void SwingBat() { Batter.SwingBat();}
        public void CallShot() { Batter.CallShot();}
        public void RunToBase(int baseNumber) { Batter.RunToBase(baseNumber);}
    }
or something similar.

Uhh, the whole point of an interface is having a base class with methods that can be implemented in multiple different ways with the same results. Needing to implement those methods yourself is the whole point of an interface. Otherwise you'd just use an abstract class.