Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Yaos posted:

The best thing was when somebody shares out their printer. Looks like they need 500 copies of fantastic deals.

How can you read the fantastic deals when the entire page is solid black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I want to play this game just for the griefing possibilities, but learning how to play ARMA sounds like a grief in itself.

What? No, it's really easy. It's a first person shooter where you click to shoot, zoom with right-mouse button like most other shooters. The only difference is that you have vitality zones and that means a single shot could kill you or disable a limb, preventing you from walking or running and in some cases aiming your gun straight. And you can bleed. It's just a very realistic FPS with a counter-intuitive inventory system.But if you just want to grief, you don't need to know poo poo about inventory.

Just go out there and shoot people.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Mordaedil posted:

What? No, it's really easy. It's a first person shooter where you click to shoot, zoom with right-mouse button like most other shooters. The only difference is that you have vitality zones and that means a single shot could kill you or disable a limb, preventing you from walking or running and in some cases aiming your gun straight. And you can bleed. It's just a very realistic FPS with a counter-intuitive inventory system.But if you just want to grief, you don't need to know poo poo about inventory.

Just go out there and shoot people.

Well the joke's on you, because you don't spawn with guns or ammo anymore in DayZ.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Mordaedil posted:

What? No, it's really easy. It's a first person shooter where you click to shoot, zoom with right-mouse button like most other shooters.

These are the only two controls the game has in common with other shooters btw.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheRagamuffin posted:

Well the joke's on you, because you don't spawn with guns or ammo anymore in DayZ.

gently caress that.

AXE COP posted:

These are the only two controls the game has in common with other shooters btw.

It's still not that difficult to get into, with the exception of aforementioned inventory. I hope Arma 3 is more approachable in that aspect. Also with the mouse wheel.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

VodeAndreas posted:

The gap in the ocean aside there used to be an exploit where you could use a low level priest that could indefinitely heal their own entire health, as fatigue damage from deep ocean was % based. This was used to get to some remote islands, wouldn't be able to cross a actual gap if there was one though.

On topic of WoW "exploration", you could also get to an early version of Hellfire Peninsula during vanilla WoW. You took the boat from Booty Bay, had a priest / warlock fear you onto the mast of the ship and just there you'd get scatter shot by a hunter and hopefully you'd start zapping around in the air. Then you'd fly at great speeds through the ocean to the west and hit a loading screen. This somehow took you to the outlands, where you'd continue flying for a few seconds and hit another loading screen, after which you'd be dead outside Booty Bay.

It's too bad you couldn't land down there, at least not in any "legit" way. I never bothered with private clients and such.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

On topic of WoW "exploration", you could also get to an early version of Hellfire Peninsula during vanilla WoW.

I've seen this work with a mage and blinking into the deadmines portal.

edit: Turn down your volume, kind of loud music.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
The depressing part about WoW is over the years they patched out a lot of that "exploration" stuff, and when Cata came out I think most of the unused maps and poo poo were nuked. You don't really see too much in the way of exploration videos anymore since there really isn't a lot in WoW that you can't get to :smith:

This is actually a really, really good write-up on the "Hidden zones" in WoW; one of the most interesting one is the Emerald Dream which they had actually been tweaking and modifying each content patch. Most people, though, consider the ED a test zone that they used to test doodads and level layouts.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Reading these WoW griefs jogged my own memory of one I remember reading about a few years ago (though I never got to do it myself).

Basically, there's this giant pit/hole in the ground in the middle of the Storm Peaks zone, where the only way to get out is to have a flying mount or to be on a certain quest.

Now, this group had found a pretty new player, and told them about this AWESUM KOOL PLACE they could bring him to... Which they could only bring him to if he didn't have a hearthstone in his inventory. (For those not in the know, hearthstones let you teleport to a 'home' location, though with a fairly lengthy CD to compensate for the convenience.) Naturally, being a newbie, the guy readily did so, and the group had a warlock summon him into the giant pit.

Obviously, being a grief and all, they then just up and flew out, leaving the guy to be perma-stuck in that pit without GM intervention, especially since there was no possible way for them to kill themselves and take a spirit rez; Basically, Blizzard made it so that lowbies have extreme regeneration outside of combat, and the only possible way you could damage yourself in there was a ledge that took a fair bit of time to climb back up. Not only that, but the Storm Peaks is also a pretty high level zone where having a flying mount is practically required, so the guy would've still been screwed even if he had managed to figure out a way to kill himself to get out of the pit.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Fuzz1111 posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure I have a rip of his site somewhere, in the meantime archive.org have a somewhat complete copy:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071111225803/http://crazyjoe.us/ultimaonline/episodes.htm

Sweet! Anyone who wants to see some great UO griefs needs to check this out.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Regalingualius posted:

Reading these WoW griefs jogged my own memory of one I remember reading about a few years ago (though I never got to do it myself).

Basically, there's this giant pit/hole in the ground in the middle of the Storm Peaks zone, where the only way to get out is to have a flying mount or to be on a certain quest.

Now, this group had found a pretty new player, and told them about this AWESUM KOOL PLACE they could bring him to... Which they could only bring him to if he didn't have a hearthstone in his inventory. (For those not in the know, hearthstones let you teleport to a 'home' location, though with a fairly lengthy CD to compensate for the convenience.) Naturally, being a newbie, the guy readily did so, and the group had a warlock summon him into the giant pit.

Obviously, being a grief and all, they then just up and flew out, leaving the guy to be perma-stuck in that pit without GM intervention, especially since there was no possible way for them to kill themselves and take a spirit rez; Basically, Blizzard made it so that lowbies have extreme regeneration outside of combat, and the only possible way you could damage yourself in there was a ledge that took a fair bit of time to climb back up. Not only that, but the Storm Peaks is also a pretty high level zone where having a flying mount is practically required, so the guy would've still been screwed even if he had managed to figure out a way to kill himself to get out of the pit.

:ughh: The level of stupidity required to buy into "we can bring you here but only if you have no hearth stone" is pretty staggering.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TheSpiritFox posted:

:ughh: The level of stupidity required to buy into "we can bring you here but only if you have no hearth stone" is pretty staggering.

Well yeah. They're just thinking it's a hearthstone, not a surefire method to get out of a place.

Skilgannon
Feb 25, 2005
I've remembered one of the few griefs you could do in The Old Republic.

Every planet had a world boss hidden away somewhere. This was basically an out door raid monster which would have some sort of gimmick to the fight.

At launch the highest one of these was basically a massive Rancor that dropped plans for a unique gem that made your lightsaber/gun a unique little snowflake. The thing didn't hit that hard but it had a ridiculous amount of health and would take a BIS group a good 5 minutes to burn down.

The gimmick on this fight was that it spawned adds that could hit hard and had a normal amount of health that you couldn't kill. You'd need a separate tank and healer group to keep them busy.

A friend and I (both stealth classes) would wait till they got this thing down to 30% or so then pop out, kill one of the adds and then use our OH poo poo RUN! button to drop back into stealth. As soon as one of the adds got killed this thing enraged and started one shotting everyone and would (originally this later got changed) then despawn for an hour.

That was one of the few griefs you could do in that terrible game.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Somewhat related to the post above there exists a mob in WoW called a whale shark. This enemy was not aggressive but had a massive health pool and could kill anything in one hit due to hitting for around 700k damage when the highest health pools might be 200k. This enemy was linked to an achievement which gave some achievement points (useless points for showing off) to kill it so obviously many people decided to attempt this feat.

The whale shark could be beaten by "kiting" it (staying out of its attack range and dragging it round) as long as it didnt get closer than 6 yards or so it couldnt hurt you, so entire groups would have one person kiting it round and the rest of the group dealing damage. This was often attempted solo by some players who wanted to show off and this could take upwards of 30 minutes.

The grief comes from some classes being able to either stop a player moving or push them in a certain direction, so the trick was to make the kiting player get too close, the whale shark would instantly kill them then turn around to the rest of the group and then instantly kill them too. In a big group you might only waste 5 minutes of their time or if someone was soloing they would maybe lose half an hour of time. The magic of it was there was almost no way to prevent this happening, even assuming the group saw you, this obviously caused a lot of rage.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I just read pretty much every single page of this thread in a row, it's hilarious. On the topic of WoW, this isn't really a grief so much as it's a dwarf interrupting two roleplaying elves who are having sex in an underground tunnel. I'm pretty sure it might have been perpetuated by someone from SA.

http://inquisidores.wowstead.com/forums/inquisidores-public-forum/troleo/891288-night-elf-tram-sex-un-poco-nsfw

The knife only gun game guy makes a girl rage. Choice quotes include "Not only am I a hot girl, I am a hot rich girl and rich people get to afford things that dumbasses like you don't" :psyduck: Starts at 5:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn96kFe3DyE&hd=1

And obviously what would a griefing post be without trolling second life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imd-AF6lIO0&hd=1

This thread also makes me want to resubscribe to EVE. The stories from it are amazing.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 27, 2012

the pizza police
Oct 8, 2009

justice delivered in 20 minutes or less
San Andreas Roleplay Servers were loads of fun.

The most populated server, NG-RP had a taxi job that was used a lot by new players as a way to earn quick cash.

The biggest catch to this is that there was only one place in the map that taxis spawned, so if you couldn't afford to buy your own, you had to travel back there any time your taxi got damaged.

Our hobby was to hang out in areas near bodies of water and call for a cab, while a friend in a car would line up a sucker punch to ram the taxi into the water.

To make it even better, in some sort of attempt at realism, players swam REALLY slow, and some of the lengthier rivers in San Andreas only had a couple places where you could get out of the water. This meant that at some points players had a good 5-10 minute swim to even get out of the water, where they were forced to endure a 20 minute walk back to town or have to call a taxi and pretty much throw their hard-earned taxi money right back at another cabbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8lvUXR95uM

It was pretty much the best thing ever and it didn't stop until we all got thrown into non RP jail for 6 hour real-time sentences by a disgruntled admin.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Goofa posted:

San Andreas Roleplay Servers were loads of fun.

The most populated server, NG-RP had a taxi job that was used a lot by new players as a way to earn quick cash.

The biggest catch to this is that there was only one place in the map that taxis spawned, so if you couldn't afford to buy your own, you had to travel back there any time your taxi got damaged.

Our hobby was to hang out in areas near bodies of water and call for a cab, while a friend in a car would line up a sucker punch to ram the taxi into the water.

To make it even better, in some sort of attempt at realism, players swam REALLY slow, and some of the lengthier rivers in San Andreas only had a couple places where you could get out of the water. This meant that at some points players had a good 5-10 minute swim to even get out of the water, where they were forced to endure a 20 minute walk back to town or have to call a taxi and pretty much throw their hard-earned taxi money right back at another cabbie.

It was pretty much the best thing ever and it didn't stop until we all got thrown into non RP jail for 6 hour real-time sentences by a disgruntled admin.

Ok this is my new favorite.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

Video had me near tears and I'm not sure why. So simple, but just perfect.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yeah that is hilarious. The one where they are having to keep stalling, and then the car just shows up and the guy is like OUT OF THE WAY OUT OF THE WAY. Great stuff.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Goofa posted:

That is glorious. :golfclap:

God drat that makes me miss SA:MP. Granted it was all intentional griefing each other, but so much fun.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

MageMage posted:

Sweet! Anyone who wants to see some great UO griefs needs to check this out.

Along with the Galads', Belen the Looter, and all the other classic UO griefers.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

robodex posted:

The depressing part about WoW is over the years they patched out a lot of that "exploration" stuff, and when Cata came out I think most of the unused maps and poo poo were nuked. You don't really see too much in the way of exploration videos anymore since there really isn't a lot in WoW that you can't get to :smith:

Up until around mid-cataclysm you could still glitch into some interesting areas. If you found an area where you could wedge your character under an overhang, then used an item that granted a size increase and jumped, you could phase right through the geometry. Here's a video I made a while back when it was still working showing the technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFBGLkc147k

You could use the same trick to get into the weird experimental area inside the Deadmines instance (Shown in the article you linked) up until very recently. You could also get outside of the walls in Deepholm, which was very interesting. Lots of texture and color tests stashed away out there. If you used the trick in Naxxramas you could fall through the floor and run around a fairly large snow area, around half of the original Plaguelands, and an entirely empty Stratholme instance.

To stay on topic, obviously you could have a hell of a lot on fun loving with RPers if you could get under the terrain. There were still spots in Stormwind you could glitch under the geometry. A fun time-waster was running around down there until you got into range where you could hear and speak to people RPing, then harass them as a "Voice from the Ether" or something.

Even after they patched out the growth-through-walls trick there was still an un-fixed hole leading beneath the terrain up in Twilight Highlands. I'll describe it as best I can for anyone that wants to play with it, it gives you access to beneath the terrain for the entire eastern kingdoms. Start at the dwarf daily quest hub up there (Kirthaven? I forget.) and head south-west into the daily quest area with all the busted up dwarf houses. In one of these groups of houses there's a spot where you can fit into a gap beneath the roof eave of one of the houses. Once inside, hop on a flying mount and wiggle around a bit and you should easily spot the hole into the empty void beneath the world. I wish I had taken some screenshots of the area, since you can still use it to explore all kinds of weird hidden areas.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

So a new TF2 map hit yesterday. In the red spawnroom of this map is a pair of glass doubledoors that overlook a conference room. Said doors aren't perfectly seam-aligned with eachother and an engineer can line up and build a teleporter exit in the conference area, from which there is No Escape..
Well, other than changing class, team, or suiciding. But these people don't know that.

E: A more aggressive griefer than I figured out that if you're under the rocket platform in a specific spot when it falls you get crammed into the ground instead of dying. If you have the intel when this happens the round never ends because you can't die and the intel will never reset while you're holding it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhNXKvZAUMc

Thankfully Valve's actually on top of both of these and they're patched now.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 29, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

bucketmouse posted:

Thankfully Valve's actually on top of both of these and they're patched now.

"Thankfully". Just what thread do you think you're in right now? :colbert:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

bucketmouse posted:

So a new TF2 map hit yesterday. In the red spawnroom of this map is a pair of glass doubledoors that overlook a conference room. Said doors aren't perfectly seam-aligned with eachother and an engineer can line up and build a teleporter exit in the conference area, from which there is No Escape..

I love teleporter traps so much. Sure, it's lazy passive griefing, but it pisses people off so much.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

"Please stop the song"? A REAL Sonic fan would beg it to never stop! :arghfist::corsair:

MageMage fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 29, 2012

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

MageMage posted:

"Please stop the song"? A REAL Sonic fan would beg it to never stop! :arghfist::corsair:

Note how they don't object to being poo poo on.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

"Thankfully". Just what thread do you think you're in right now? :colbert:

Really good TF2 griefs are sort of like magic tricks. The harder the grief is to pull off the more amazing the resulting rage usually is. Those two I posted about were so obvious that they were discovered and exploited to death within the first 8 hours after the map was released and almost every match I played had at least one person building teleporter traps at all times.

You can still build sentries inside the rocket though :ssh:

I am, however, thankful that the best TF2 grief of all time remains unpatched.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 29, 2012

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

bucketmouse posted:

That is amazing.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

bucketmouse posted:

What? How?

I need to know. Right now.

Thanks, that's absolutely fantastic.
vvvvv

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 30, 2012

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

This is really hard to pull off correctly and it requires a sub-50 ping.

So the bomb is just a regular physics prop constrained to a path which terminates above the drop point. When it hits the very end of the path it loses its constraints and becomes a normal physics prop as it promptly tumbles into the pit and explodes. However, there's about a quarter of a second where you can knock it around with explosives, so what you need to do is go soldier and shoot a rocket through the two halves of the bomb pit gate as it opens in an attempt to hit the wall directly below the bomb prop as high up as possible. It barely ever works but when it does the bomb will go flying out of the pit in a random direction like some sort of weird beachball that kills anyone it comes in contact with. Naturally your goal now is to get it into the spawnroom! Double bonus if it's the blue spawnroom.

The best part of this is that the round will end normally if someone manages to coerce it back into the pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtCBK6Deo0

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 30, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Why is this not already a game mode.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

bucketmouse posted:

This is really hard to pull off correctly and it requires a sub-50 ping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtCBK6Deo0

That is amazing. :stare:

Seconding the idea that this should be a game mode.

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
TO THE MOD COMMUNITY!

it doesn't happen, they are too busy making furry penisboobs

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
Speaking of TF2, anybody have the video where some professional soldier hops on a 2fort server and clowns on this one kid while getting accused of air shot hacks? I think it ended with sad music and the kid quietly disappearing from his favorite 2fort server. :allears:

Prince Abassi
Jun 30, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

I watched the first three minutes of that and I'm rather... confused. The only griefing that seems to be going on is people griefing themselves by playing that.
(the original comment is located here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&pagenumber=218&perpage=40#post401004782)

Sorry for replying to a comment on one of my videos from ages back but I notice a few views coming in from the SA forum continuously so I thought I'd clarify a few things about that video/series.

It's not really griefing or intended as griefing per se. It's just a matter of coincidence that I caught an admin out breaking the rules, then another admin, then the root admin (the list goes on).

They tried to remove me from their community but people still join their server(s) using the name of Nigeria and get banned immediately (which lends credibility to my racism argument against them since they're discriminating against the word Nigeria) (I kind of expanded on that fact in this separate video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBX-fY59rjk)

What was a bad situation turned into a worse situation because the owner and his friend... the root administrator (which is one notch down from the owner basically) tried to essentially cover things up and it backfired on them spectacularly when I produced video evidence of their root administrator doing the same thing that he banned me for.

The unfortunate thing is that these admins who PAY for admin status go about abusing and 9 times out of 10 no one calls them out on their poo poo because they're scared they'll get banned for it.

When I was a kid I used to chat on IRC and administrators were people I knew IRL who were patient, grown and mature beings (...9 times out of 10...) and these kids go around PAYING to be an admin.

The kind of bullshit these kids propagate is that disagreeing with them is equal to disrespect?!

So I basically made this video series to call them out on their poo poo and judging by the reaction it has been really successful. Other server owners (amongst the largest servers) have asked me to play on their servers and catch their admins out)

It may not be griefing per se, but in terms of events its probably the most hilarious thing I've ever done on a game.

I have made other videos too which are quite different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs_4kSBmznU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NnAFAxm23s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DolV-hETgZ8

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for watching those original videos to anyone who enjoyed them.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This looks like the least fun game ever. Even the griefing videos are boring.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Herobotic posted:

TO THE MOD COMMUNITY!

I actually ported a map from a very old FPS that had physics objects for shits and giggles only to find out that TF really, really doesn't like dealing with them. The reason the bomb behaves like a wobbly beachball is because the game puts zero priority on synchronizing physics objects between clients given that the only physics objects in stock TF2 are a few things like beer bottles that you can kick around that don't affect anything.

Also I found a video of someone doing the bomb derail trick as a demo, so theoretically putting a few stickies on the gate could make it even easier to time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hv2xujB4p4

Do custom maps created entirely to piss off players count as griefing? If so I've got some interesting stuff to post.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 30, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

bucketmouse posted:

If so I've got some interesting stuff to post.

Bolded the only important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

big sperma shot posted:

Speaking of TF2, anybody have the video where some professional soldier hops on a 2fort server and clowns on this one kid while getting accused of air shot hacks? I think it ended with sad music and the kid quietly disappearing from his favorite 2fort server. :allears:

Probably one of Boink's videos. His youtube channel is ForceBoink.

• Locked thread