Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Alright, URL. Same thing goes for this weekend as last. I've got my lessons after you for a couple of hours and then curry is at 7. It doesn't make sense for me to go all the way back to your place and then turn around for curry, so if you want to meet up for beers before dinner, I suggest you stick around.

After that, there's word of a drunk park, but we can hit the bars as well.

7/14 is the boat. If we want to do a boat, it's 7/14. If we want to aim for 7/21, I'm not sure I can make that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

url posted:

Hahaha American wine, that's like American "cheese" ... (I kid I kid)

I'm down for some debauchery this weekend. The grapevine suggested a curry, which I am seriously jonesing for.

If we fo Haraksha's buddy's bar, I can not recommend the Mojito highly enough.

Quite simply a spectacular experience.

e: Li Laoshi fuckn loves you Haraksha. Where I was holding favoured new student status, I am now being told how god drat awesome your vocab is, and how hard you work. gently caress you!

I know a great curry place in ximending.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well Max Power is supposed to be organizing it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Anyone new to Hess this week? 2nd training group I've had come to my branch and watch my class in a month. It's weird, how out of all the schools and teachers in Taipei, they've sent both training groups recently to watch my (and one other teacher's) class.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Alright, URL...

My issue is that I usually drop the Mrs off at her folks on a Sat. That's wan hua - else I'd pop you on the back of the scoot and its a cheaper lull before the storm thing.

I haven't decided whether Mrs should come this week yet. But, I gonna get her an account soon, so I figure she probs should turn up.

After lessons on sat there is a gap, but I not worked that slot out yet.

I'd honestly prefer a gap between lessson and session. If only to get my bearings. Atm classes leave me reeling for a good hour after.

Lemme work out the Mrs' plans, and we'll nail something down.

This PM was brought to you by the letters u r and l
:P

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Also, yeah max, get busy doing arrangingery stuff. Tia.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

OrangeGuy posted:

Has anyone tried setting up a business venture as a foreigner in Taiwan? I hope to get connected to Taiwanese business professionals through English tutoring on the side and eventually want to try my hand in entrepreneurship in Taiwan. Is this doable?

I figured the economic climate would be better in a booming economy than an anemic one (i.e. the US) for a start-up business at any rate. v:shobon:v

This has a lot to do with the kind of business you are looking to start. However, I can already see a problem for you in that Taiwan is not really a booming economy right now. Its actually much closer to anemic really. Things were looking pretty grim a few years ago when I first got here, but have since leveled off thankfully.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HappyHelmet posted:

This has a lot to do with the kind of business you are looking to start. However, I can already see a problem for you in that Taiwan is not really a booming economy right now. Its actually much closer to anemic really. Things were looking pretty grim a few years ago when I first got here, but have since leveled off thankfully.
Well, if you can hit a niche or grab some fashion fad, Taiwan eats that poo poo up, giving you at least a year about.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

Haraksha posted:

url posted:

Also, yeah max, get busy doing arrangingery stuff. Tia.

What's up motherfuckers, check Facebook. In URL's case, check Line. I always forget this drat thread exists!

The plan right now is figuring out what the hell curry place can host ten to eleven (possibly more) people. Apparently there's word of some place called Calcutta, I should have the details hashed out by this time tomorrow.

Facebookless savages.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

Well, if you can hit a niche or grab some fashion fad, Taiwan eats that poo poo up, giving you at least a year about.

Well like I said it has a lot to do with the kind of business your trying to start. If you can get in on the ground floor of one of those crazy fads, and have the capitol to back it up (ie. meet production demands before someone muscles in on you) you can make a mint.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Hey Taiwan thread.

I'm living on the mainland right now, studying in Tianjin, but I have a weeklong vacation coming up in July and I've booked a ticket that takes me to Taiwan for part of the trip. I still haven't booked any place to stay, so does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be around for 4 nights, and leave for Hong Kong earlier in the day (~9:00am) on the 18th.

I'm guessing four nights in Taipei are too much, and some fresh skies would be nice, so if anyone has recommendations on places to go, I'd appreciate it. I speak enough Chinese to not starve to death and make my way home, but I can't read traditional all that well.

Thanks for the advice, goons. Beers or booze on me if we meet up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I have yet to turn down a goon who has offered me free booze. If you get here early enough on the 14th(?) then we can get hammered on a boat.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fury posted:

Hey Taiwan thread.

I'm living on the mainland right now, studying in Tianjin, but I have a weeklong vacation coming up in July and I've booked a ticket that takes me to Taiwan for part of the trip. I still haven't booked any place to stay, so does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be around for 4 nights, and leave for Hong Kong earlier in the day (~9:00am) on the 18th.

I'm guessing four nights in Taipei are too much, and some fresh skies would be nice, so if anyone has recommendations on places to go, I'd appreciate it. I speak enough Chinese to not starve to death and make my way home, but I can't read traditional all that well.

Thanks for the advice, goons. Beers or booze on me if we meet up.

You can honestly do a good deal in Taipei. I went there last December and did a fair deal of stuff over the span of a week but I like going to museums. I'm also into city wandering and taking my time as well doing stuff.

Eight Elephants hostel in Taipei is nice. http://www.eehostel.com/

They have a good location, right by a subway entrance and not too far from a laundromat with dryers if you need to clean clothes. You can also walk to the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial/National Theater if you're into sightseeing. It's kind of surreal coming from Mainland China and seeing that place all covered in Nationalist/Taiwan flags.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons there will be a typhoon hitting hk and the mid, southern Taiwan. You guys checking your calendar

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Hey goons there will be a typhoon hitting hk and the mid, southern Taiwan. You guys checking your calendar
Looks weak and it's way off the southern part of Taiwan, nothing to see here(yet).

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Haraksha posted:

It's basically a Taiwanese hole in the wall with a couple of dart boards, some chairs, and a small couch lounge area. I think there was more drama within the group of foreigners I brought there a few weeks ago than with the Taiwanese regulars.

Seriously, who the gently caress is 30 years old and living in Taiwan and not know that Eastern people tend to list their family names first. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: In fact, if we wanted all you can drink beer instead of cocktails, that might be possible if I give the guy enough notice.

url posted:

Hahaha American wine, that's like American "cheese" ... (I kid I kid)

I'm down for some debauchery this weekend. The grapevine suggested a curry, which I am seriously jonesing for.

If we fo Haraksha's buddy's bar, I can not recommend the Mojito highly enough.

Quite simply a spectacular experience.

e: Li Laoshi fuckn loves you Haraksha. Where I was holding favoured new student status, I am now being told how god drat awesome your vocab is, and how hard you work. gently caress you!

WHERE IS THIS BAR!?!?!?

And i love Mojitos :D

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
brb gonna go buy me some dead, dehydrated babies so I can host 'pet ghosts'.

It's okay though, I have no plans to export them, that'd be illegal :psyduck:

(this was just on the news)

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

dlink posted:

WHERE IS THIS BAR!?!?!?

And i love Mojitos :D

Dude, these Mojito's are extraordinary! And I love me a mojito.

url fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 28, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

Dude, these Mojito's are extraordinary! And I love me a mojito.

These British posts are extra sarcastic these days.

dlink posted:

BARS

Somewhere near Renai Circle. Are you coming out this Saturday? I'm sure I can take you.

仁愛路4段300巷19弄4號

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Haraksha posted:

These British posts are extra sarcastic these days.

Somewhere near Renai Circle. Are you coming out this Saturday? I'm sure I can take you.

仁愛路4段300巷19弄4號

Nope, i'm going to be in Taiwan from the 9th til 19th of July, i'll be in Taipei from the 14th onwards :D

Edit: wow thats pretty far from where i'm going to be in Taipei, i'm going to be staying in Rainbow hotel, around Ximending.

dlink fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 28, 2012

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
What bar are we going to? There's a bunch of good ones over thataway. Including all-you-can-drink at MiCasa.

Huh. This is apparently happening at MiCasa this saturday:

http://www.facebook.com/events/383909298332566/

MiCasa posted:

30. June AFRO-CARIBBEAN Foam Party
Foam! Foam! Foam!

We Africans and Caribbeans in Taiwan are bringing it to you live and direct, the biGGEST, FUNNEST and A MUST GO FOAM party at MICASA with the BEST OF BEST AFRICAN and Caribbean music .

Dj Garvin

invite ur friends come !!!
dress on ur bikini , lets get wet !!!
beach style foam party + caribbean DJ & hip hop music + All u can drink !!!
Dont miss this party after exam !!! LETS PARTY ALL NIGHT LONG ><
RSVP & PER-SALE : 0988973200 Reagina

dlink posted:

Nope, i'm going to be in Taiwan from the 9th til 19th of July, i'll be in Taipei from the 14th onwards :D

Edit: wow thats pretty far from where i'm going to be in Taipei, i'm going to be staying in Rainbow hotel, around Ximending.

Not really. The MRTs are pretty fantastic in Taipei. Ximending isn't really that far from anywhere.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Gonna have to veto the soapy goon expedition.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

How could it go wrong? Buncha soapy, drunk, half naked goons? Nothing here would be weird or awkward.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

phew

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Well I was more interested in the soapy half naked girls. But it is telling that they don't seem to factor into your mental image. :crossarms:

What bar then? The other ones I know in that area are like... pasoul, maybe Sappho? Not a ton of AYCD choices and I do love me some AYCD.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, I just assume the people in nearest proximity to me, shuffling awkwardly, are going to be the goons that we bring with. Try as I might, the beautiful women in their wet bikinis will always remain indistinct features popping in and out of view from between the hairy rolls of man breast trundling in front of me. Are they slick with soap, sweat, or tears?

I don't know why we have to stick in Ximen. We're just getting dinner there. I know Max wanted to do beers in the park to relax after dinner, don't know if that's still a go. Otherwise, there are cabs and MRTs that can get us to wherever it is your little heart desires.

In other words, let's not worry about it too hard unless we have to get a reservation beforehand?

EDIT: Also, you being familiar with these places, what kind of dress code is typical at an AYCD? I haven't worn a suit in awhile. We could go all Resevoir Dogs.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 29, 2012

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

You can dress however you want pretty much anywhere. The only place I could get a suit that fits me in Taipei would be if we found a freshly killed luchadore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Muscle shirt and hot pants it is.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Haraksha posted:

EDIT: Also, you being familiar with these places, what kind of dress code is typical at an AYCD? I haven't worn a suit in awhile. We could go all Resevoir Dogs.
I would need several weeks notice to be able to get my fat rear end a suit. :colbert:

And speaking of reservations, we're booked at Calcutta for 12 at 8pm tomorrow night.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I posted this on FB, but in case anyone doesn't check that: I finish my class at 5PM tomorrow and need to kill 3 hours. If someone wants to grab beers with me, that'd rule.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

I posted this on FB, but in case anyone doesn't check that: I finish my class at 5PM tomorrow and need to kill 3 hours. If someone wants to grab beers with me, that'd rule.

I didn't check fb...I didn't nail plans down for tomo yet. If you wanna chill for a couple at mine, that's likely no issue.

I gotta do haircut, and scooter oil swap on top if class tomo, and Mrs is seeing fam.

There's likely a timetable that fits all 3, but like I say, I didn't nail it yet.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Get a haircut while I'm at the lesson and if we don't have to be to the restaurant until 8 now instead of 7, going to your place isn't a big deal for me.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Are GFs/SOs coming to this shindig or is it just going to be sweaty neckbeards?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am not bringing my girlfriend and I don't think URL is. It's possible mad carl might bring his. No idea! There's no reason you can't and I think mad carl even invited lady friends to come along as well. It's a personal choice. How does your girl tolerate horrible neckbeards?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Get a haircut while I'm at the lesson and if we don't have to be to the restaurant until 8 now instead of 7, going to your place isn't a big deal for me.

i was thinking along those lines

Haraksha posted:

I don't think URL is.
she probs will unless something comes up tomo - you guys didn't goon hard enough last time :/

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Haraksha posted:

I am not bringing my girlfriend and I don't think URL is. It's possible mad carl might bring his. No idea! There's no reason you can't and I think mad carl even invited lady friends to come along as well. It's a personal choice. How does your girl tolerate horrible neckbeards?

Heh that's exactly it. I'm really just worried she'll be beyond bored as gently caress. I'll probably come and she probably won't.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

girl

I misinterpreted your comment about the girl seeing the family then. I thought that was an all weekend or night thing. My bad.

USDA posted:

bored

This is the big thing for me. My girl will want to go to bed at like 10 or 11 and I'll want to drink more and it will just lead to a fight.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The odds of us hitting 12 are pretty small, so even if they want to just come for dinner, they're more than welcome. It's some pretty loving good curry.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

Haraksha posted:

Muscle shirt and hot pants it is.

Someday I really want to have an outing where we do this. At least me and Haraksha. I don't care. Let's go.

TetsuoTW posted:

The odds of us hitting 12 are pretty small, so even if they want to just come for dinner, they're more than welcome. It's some pretty loving good curry.

If the res is at 8, what the hell time should people meet at Ximen? I set the time to 7 originally but I don't care seriously as long as eating is taking place around 8 o'clock. I'll be ready to chew through a bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, is anyone going to attend who isn't posting on the FB event page? 7 seems a bit excessive for an 8'o'clock reservation in walking distance from the station.

My recommendation would be 7:30 start arriving, leave by 7:45. Do people need phone numbers or what?

I'd like to get this all sorted by noon because after that, I'll be unavailable online for the rest of the day.