Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Sex Vicar posted:

I'd love if they took the model of giving the tracks away so everyone can use them while the development is paid for like Motorstorm did but I don't see anything happening.

I wonder if they could do something by selling the billboards and "ad space" around the tracks in the game. I would think that they enough people play the game that they could make the money for the tracks back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is the best bang for the buck gaming chair/cockpit ? I was looking at the obutto at $399. Is there better it cheaper products ? I would like something that I can mount triple monitors to.

Also I purchased a Driving force GT wheel for iRacing. Is it possible to make this work with Forza somehow? Its a nice product.

Strangely, I'm usually about 8 to 10 seconds off the #1 slot for lap time records with Forza using a controller. With iRacing I'm 6 seconds off on my first day using a wheel I'm not used to balancing it on my lap. This game is loving hard and unforgiving. I don't think I will be playing this one with dad.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

jonathan posted:

Also I purchased a Driving force GT wheel for iRacing. Is it possible to make this work with Forza somehow? Its a nice product.

Nope, but it's not really a Forza issue, it won't work with your Xbox period. Logitech did make an Xbox 360 compatible wheel at one time, the Driving Force FX, but good luck finding one, and I don't even know if they're any good.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The only way you're going to play Gran Turismo/Forza/iRacing is to get a Fanatec. They're more expensive, but compatible across all platforms, and pretty good.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Going full retard for GTCC F-Class this week:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish there was a way to try iRacing for free, it looks interesting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

First sign ups can get in for $12 for 3 months. But otherwise yeah, I wish the monthly fee were dropped. I think that would bring in a lot more people. The dev is also pretty gun-ho about making this an ultra hardcore racing sim. Ultra realism is great, but this sim can be very punishing, to the point of locking you out of content you paid for, due to a simple accident that bumped you down a safety rating.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does the new Viper really light up the dash with a glowing viper when you redline it like in the autovista? It's really cheesy looking for an expensive sports car but I guess they've never been super classy. I still think the best Viper in the game is the ACR (which I think is just a stripped track version), mostly due to the race car level downforce.

Cojawfee posted:

I tried it for the 3 months $12 demo and felt like I got my $12 worth out of it, but having to buy tracks combined with having to buy cars combined with the subscription fee is too much to actually play it beyond that.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The pricing is pretty high. Its completely different though. Forza is a celebration of cool cars and tracks. iRacing seems to be a celebration of the track day. I've put in a solid 50 laps at limerock now and just barely feel confident enough to drive at 85% of my ability. Its all I can do to get around the track safely without a spin.

iRacing seems to be built to encourage people to get good at one car and one track for the first few months before they go off and start driving different cars.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 26, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's not really a celebration of anything. It just tries to simulate the feel of real world professional racing, with accurate racing rules, with some exceptions here and there to substitute things that can't be done in a video game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does the new Viper really light up the dash with a glowing viper when you redline it like in the autovista? It's really cheesy looking for an expensive sports car but I guess they've never been super classy. I still think the best Viper in the game is the ACR (which I think is just a stripped track version), mostly due to the race car level downforce.

I don't know about a viper but the ring around the tach lights up. It's not that great of a car. It doesn't have enough grip for how much power it has.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know about a viper but the ring around the tach lights up. It's not that great of a car. It doesn't have enough grip for how much power it has.

The Viper has been tail happy since its creation. Stop mashing the throttle and it wont do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd suggest that the Viper was designed to be tail happy.

Way back in the 1990 they had a meeting to decide what the most fun thing to do in a car was, and pretty much everyone agreed it was "spinning donuts".

So they put an enormous engine in a front heavy car, slapped some red paint on it, and started selling it. Seems to have worked out okay.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The ACR isn't too bad, once you get to 60-70 the back end is pretty much glued to the ground if you crank up the aero. And it steers decently at low speeds with trail braking and light taps on the throttle to get it around slow turns.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The Viper has been tail happy since its creation. Stop mashing the throttle and it wont do that.

I'm talking about the front wheels. You can't drive this car fast it just slides into a wall. Plus it took at least two laps around Bernie's Alps to even get the tires to warm up.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cojawfee posted:

Cojawfee posted:

I'm talking about the front wheels. You can't drive this car fast it just slides into a wall. Plus it took at least two laps around Bernie's Alps to even get the tires to warm up.

Now that you mention it, it does seem to act like it's heavier than it should be. Though personally I think it's biggest issues are brakes. I think that'd be the #1 mod for me. It just doesn't seem like it wants to stop with the same gusto it wants to go. Even with my early braking tendancies I seemed to be overshooting corners.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

July Pack:
2011 McLaren 59 GT MP4-12C GT3
1973 AMC Gremlin X
2012 Ascari KZ1R
1998 Aston Martin V8 Vantage V600
1952 Hudson Hornet
1954 Jaguar XK120
1956 Lotus Eleven
2012 Mercedes-Benz SLK55 AMG
1995 RUF CTR2
2012 Spyker C8 Aileron

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I said come in! posted:

July Pack:
1973 AMC Gremlin X
2012 Ascari KZ1R
1952 Hudson Hornet
1954 Jaguar XK120
1956 Lotus Eleven
1995 RUF CTR2
2012 Spyker C8 Aileron

Outside of the Benz, I think I want every car in this pack. Even if it does include the "ugly" Vantage. Also, I'm starting to think Turn10 has a thing for 50's roadsters.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Pics of the cars

Well, I'm eagerly awaiting this one! The Lotus eleven just looks absolutely to die for, doesn't it?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

Outside of the Benz, I think I want every car in this pack. Even if it does include the "ugly" Vantage. Also, I'm starting to think Turn10 has a thing for 50's roadsters.

Who doesn't? Guess I'll have to start clearing out my garage to make room for these new beauties. I'm especially excited to drive the Ascari for the first time since PGR2 and the Hudson.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

Pics of the cars

Well, I'm eagerly awaiting this one! The Lotus eleven just looks absolutely to die for, doesn't it?

That's the one I want the most.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
For some reason I'm tenting a bit when I look at that Lotus.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Oh man that pack is so loving bought, mainly because I kept watching all those 'Victory by design' shows about lotus and jaguar.

Plus the one GT3 car I realy wanted in the game, I think I we pretty much have a full grid of gt3 cars apart from the 458 and nissan gt-r gt3

Edit: Is it just me who hopes T10 would model a few more older racecars, i'd love a Group A R32 GT-R, Sierra Cossie, E30 M3 etc instead of dollying the roadcar to kinda look like them.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 27, 2012

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I said come in! posted:

July Pack:
1973 AMC Gremlin X
2012 Ascari KZ1R
1952 Hudson Hornet
1954 Jaguar XK120
1956 Lotus Eleven
1995 RUF CTR2
2012 Spyker C8 Aileron

Unfffffffffffffffffffffffff.... take all my money Turn10!

Also, why has nobody posted the trailer yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ZU-7pnBQA

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That McLaren wasn't constantly spitting flames, you all lied to me.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Wow, at first I was a bit put off by the newer supercars in the pack, but they look downright mean.

Though the Eleven alone is worth the price of the pack.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Man, once again the rivals contest for a unicorn is beyond my grasp. I just can't get under 1.20 even on full manual controls.

Shame too, its a Mines Skyline if the polls are to be trusted :(

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Captain Hair posted:

Man, once again the rivals contest for a unicorn is beyond my grasp. I just can't get under 1.20 even on full manual controls.

It's all about slowing down enough to eliminate the crazy amount of understeer that Viper has. There were about five laps in a row where I tried to take the follow-through and just went straight into the field.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If you read and post in the thread there's a chance for a unicorn car of your choice as well as the one for beating the Bounty Hunter time.

Link

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hair posted:

Oh man I didnt know about that, his latest time is a 1:18.787 i'm hoping I should be safe with a 1:17

I voted random in the futile hope that they might give us the drat M3 GT-R or maybe the Impreza unicorn

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Jarf posted:

Unfffffffffffffffffffffffff.... take all my money Turn10!

Also, why has nobody posted the trailer yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ZU-7pnBQA

Holy crap, that little AMC Gremlin has a 5 litre V8 in it! That's going to be impossible to handle.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I suggest we do a little CARS 2 themed cat and mouse. 15 cats, all AMC Pacers and Gremlins, 1 Aston Martin DB5 as the mouse. :v:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Remember the Porsche/Forza 4 twitter contest? Well, I won the afternoon giveaway, which wasn't a game code but a "personal use Porsche item". I expected a stupid ball cap, maybe a t-shirt.

I ended up with this http://shop3.porsche.com/usa/modelcar/911/wap0210010a/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Q_res posted:

Remember the Porsche/Forza 4 twitter contest? Well, I won the afternoon giveaway, which wasn't a game code but a "personal use Porsche item". I expected a stupid ball cap, maybe a t-shirt.

Son of a bitch, you made out really nice! That is awesome. Those models look really great. I wish I hadn't ignored the afternoon contest now.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Oddly the website makes it look cheap, it looks better quality in person.

Funny thing is, only reason I bothered with the afternoon drawing was because I was too dumb and lazy to read the rules and realize you didn't get a game code for it.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
Figured this might be worth a post here since it's been mentioned in this thread.

The Mid-Ohio twitter just posted a pretty neat elevation graphic of their track courtesy of iRacing

https://twitter.com/FollowMidOhio/status/218417019039662080/photo/1/large

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Mac Tonight posted:

Figured this might be worth a post here since it's been mentioned in this thread.

The Mid-Ohio twitter just posted a pretty neat elevation graphic of their track courtesy of iRacing

https://twitter.com/FollowMidOhio/status/218417019039662080/photo/1/large

Instantly reminded me of Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga 1200.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Q_res posted:

The way the website looked i momentarily thought you had been gifted an actual 911 turbo from a stupid game contest. haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Jarf posted:

Instantly reminded me of Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga 1200.

Man, I had that game on the C64. Graphics weren't nearly as good, but it was hellacious fun.

• Locked thread