Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Jay Leno takes a Gt500 for a spin, nothing special but its good footage of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZdKnDAMnE

In the engine compartment of the GT500, what are those containers filled with orange fluid for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

In the engine compartment of the GT500, what are those containers filled with orange fluid for?
Check the manual: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

GT500? Page 34: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/13mussg1e.pdf

Boss 302? http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/13musbs1e.pdf

Thanks, Ford.

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 23, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Complete fail, none of your links work. I just want to find out what those containers are for or what the liquid is inside without looking poo poo up. Someone here has to know.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Turbocharged window washer fluid

No wait, my second guess is coolant.

On another note... anyone have a Hurst shifter or similar?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hurst-plus2shifter-1112.html

Says it gets rid of the stock reverse lockout, so what is shifting into first like? You just don't lean the stick all the way to the left and find the gate?

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 23, 2012

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

Complete fail, none of your links work. I just want to find out what those containers are for or what the liquid is inside without looking poo poo up. Someone here has to know.

Well, the first one does :colbert:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

b0nes posted:

Someone here has to know.
Both of them are either coolant overflow tanks (one is for the supercharger and one is for the engine) or turbocharged windshield washer fluid, take your pick.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
Was finally time for new tires on my '11 GT (Brembo). Had some Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 275/35ZR19 installed. Wow, it's like a whole new car. I can actually accelerate again! The grip is incredible both in straight line and in corners.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

optikalus posted:

Was finally time for new tires on my '11 GT (Brembo). Had some Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 275/35ZR19 installed. Wow, it's like a whole new car. I can actually accelerate again! The grip is incredible both in straight line and in corners.

This is my next "mod." I've got 20k miles on my stock tires and they're starting to get some wear. Anything over 5k RPM and they start spinning in the first two gears.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Aberroyc posted:

This is my next "mod." I've got 20k miles on my stock tires and they're starting to get some wear. Anything over 5k RPM and they start spinning in the first two gears.

My original tires were doing that from about 7k miles on. I've lived with not being able to actually accelerate for over 13k miles. It is awesome being able to flog the poo poo out of this car again.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Ford puts crap tires on these cars and pretty much always has. New tires are a worthwhile mod for any Mustang.

Aberroyc
Jul 12, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Ford puts crap tires on these cars and pretty much always has. New tires are a worthwhile mod for any Mustang.

I agree. I think I'm going to go with the 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 on the back. I know it's cliche but it seems to be the best option from what I have read outside of slicks.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Found a black 2013 GT manual with 3.73 rear, bought it! Averaging 10 mpg so far. :getin:

edit added picture http://db.tt/LLlFaXAw

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 1, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

Found a black 2013 GT manual with 3.73 rear, bought it! Averaging 10 mpg so far. :getin:

edit added picture http://db.tt/LLlFaXAw

10mpg? Why are you babying it.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yuup.. 16 gallon tank, but like 3 of that is reserve. You gonna fill up a lot.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Bumming Your Scene posted:

but like 3 of that is reserve.

Sorry, what? What's this?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Every time I fill it up its only like 12.8 gallons

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I wonder if I can get some kind of commission from Ford because of this thread?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I wonder if I can get some kind of commission from Ford because of this thread?

Free MT82s when you need em!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Free MT82s when you need em!

Maybe they could give me a steam engine too!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I have a friend who is looking for a tune for his new 5.0 GT. Who do you suggest? Off the shelf? We're in the Orlando area.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Quality Ford Engineering...any of you 2011+ owners have noticed their passenger side door not sitting flush with the rear panel? Mine is about 1mm off...Apparently it's a "thing" with the S197s?

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

shodanjr_gr posted:

Quality Ford Engineering...any of you 2011+ owners have noticed their passenger side door not sitting flush with the rear panel? Mine is about 1mm off...Apparently it's a "thing" with the S197s?

I don't know about 2011+ but the panel gaps in my 2007 are hilariously bad.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Complaining about a Fords build quality is like complaining your Mcdonalds tastes funny. It is the workers feces getting wiped on the work product!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I know emoticon-only posts are frowned upon but

Elephanthead posted:

Complaining about a Fords build quality is like complaining your Mcdonalds tastes funny. It is the workers feces getting wiped on the work product!

:downs:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I'm surprised this wasn't posted here yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-db7bX9LI

In summary: the Shelby is faster than the ZL1 Camaro... for the first lap or two. From there, brake fade really hinders lap time. It seems the camaro was built to be a lot more track consistent than the Shelby.

Anyone know if the Boss suffers the same fate with brake fade?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

MrSaturn posted:

In summary: the Shelby is faster than the ZL1 Camaro... for the first lap or two.
On lap three the Camaro crashes because the driver can't see where he's going.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

MrSaturn posted:

In summary: the Shelby is faster than the ZL1 Camaro... for the first lap or two. From there, brake fade really hinders lap time. It seems the camaro was built to be a lot more track consistent than the Shelby.

Didn't the Boss ship with brake cooling ducts?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

It was...

I get testing them on the track and all, but people aren't buying a Shelby to take it on a road course. A better comparison is which shines up better with Zaino, resists scratches from fake Rolexes, holds the most golf clubs in the trunk, and looks better with the engine compartment covered in billet covers.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

frozenphil posted:

It was...

I get testing them on the track and all, but people aren't buying a Shelby to take it on a road course. A better comparison is which shines up better with Zaino, resists scratches from fake Rolexes, holds the most golf clubs in the trunk, and looks better with the engine compartment covered in billet covers.

Which is why the next GT500 (with IRS) should have Shelby dropped from its name, and become the SVT Cobra. :v:

Brake fade could probably be helped with pads and cooling. I wonder what sort of pads the Camaro has in its Brembos.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Killbot posted:

Which is why the next GT500 (with IRS) should have Shelby dropped from its name, and become the SVT Cobra. :v:
Don't joke, there's a contingent of brain-damaged Mustang fans that unironically want this to happen.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Didn't the Boss ship with brake cooling ducts?

The Boss 302 had upgraded pads and the LS got cooling ducts. Brakes are something you can improve pretty massively with new pads and fluid though, I wouldn't really take OEM fade at anything more than face value unless you want to track the car and never think about better brake pads in which case you should just park it in the garage under a cover so you can tell your kids about SIX HUNNERT HOURSEPAWHA in a rough gravelly voice 40 years.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Don't joke, there's a contingent of brain-damaged Mustang fans that unironically want this to happen.

What's the argument for keeping his name on the car? I'm all for having his name disappear and bringing SVT back instead.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think that review was very fair to both cars, and fans of each will have no reason to switch, despite the conclusion.

When Randy Pobst says the brakes are scary, there's no way mere mortals could drive that safely at the track, though.

I wonder how much power the ZL1 could be juiced up to cheaply. What was the bump from tuning the GT500? 40hp?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

frozenphil posted:

What's the argument for keeping his name on the car? I'm all for having his name disappear and bringing SVT back instead.

Well, making money, considering no Cobra was ever a commercial success. The better question is, why bring back SVT? There's no good argument for that, and it's only advocated by the delusional New Edge fanboys that like to pretend the 94-04 generation are anything but horrible shitpiles better left forgotten (even the Terminator is a lovely car with a fantastic engine). Excepting the R models they made exactly one good Cobra, and the 2nd gen Lightning. That's the legacy of Colletti era SVT. Everything else was either underwhelming, or they half-assed it cause they didn't want to do it.

Nobody really gives a poo poo about SVT, except the couple hundred fanboys that cry about the Shelby name on Mustang forums. The simple fact is, the Shelby name has historically meant more and done more for Ford than SVT could ever hope to. More importantly, it will always make Ford more money, frankly killing SVT as some sort of weird sub-brand was one of the best decisions Ford has made.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'd be surprised if appreciably fewer people stopped buying these cars if they got rebranded back to Cobras.

If the licensing it costs Ford to use the Shelby name is more than that dip in sales, then it'd still be worth it.

e: a guy goes over his suspension mods for his new Stang:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2578/pageid/4795/improving-a-pony-cars-handling.aspx

One thing that stands out is a commenter using the same setup saying that he got rid of most of the brake dive, which is something that came up as a flaw in a comparo with the M3.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 3, 2012

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Koni Sports are pretty much a mandatory upgrade. The stock dampers are crap. Best change I made to my S197.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My 2011 says both Shelby and SVT on the rear badge. If I were in the market for a new one in the near future, I highly doubt the name change would mean anything.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I'd be surprised if appreciably fewer people stopped buying these cars if they got rebranded back to Cobras.

History seems to point in the other direction, as I said, not one Cobra was ever a commercial success for Ford not one. Regardless, here in the real world you would have to make a good argument for changing the name. Not vice versa, and in 5 years of petulant whining about the Shelby name, I have never once heard a good argument for going back to SVT Cobra.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My 2011 says both Shelby and SVT on the rear badge. If I were in the market for a new one in the near future, I highly doubt the name change would mean anything.

The name wouldn't make a difference to me either, actually. But it apparently does make a difference in terms of sales numbers. There's simply no good argument for changing it, and a pretty big one for leaving it as is, that's all I'm saying.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 3, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Q_res posted:

History seems to point in the other direction, as I said, not one Cobra was ever a commercial success for Ford not one. But it apparently does make a difference in terms of sales numbers.
All modern cars sold as SVTs or Shelbys have been made by SVE/SVT, right? Can it not be argued, then, that poor sales are correlated to specific bad models put out by SVT? Do you have a link to per year Cobra/Shelby sales?

quote:

There's simply no good argument for changing it, and a pretty big one for leaving it as is, that's all I'm saying.
The argument I put above was licensing cost for the Shelby name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

All modern cars sold as SVTs or Shelbys have been made by SVE/SVT, right? Can it not be argued, then, that poor sales are correlated to specific bad models put out by SVT? Do you have a link to per year Cobra/Shelby sales?

I'm at work on my phone, I'll try to get you something when I get home tonight.

Even if you're correct regarding the quality being a larger factor than the name, that's still problematic. Namely because you're gambling with a successful model that makes Ford gobs of money. You had drat well better be right, because if you're in a position to make that decision and you're wrong you won't be in that position long. That's my problem with it, at best it's an unsure gamble with an established cash cow. Why do it, where's the benefit? It's purely because some people have an axe to grind with Carroll, for some reason. Yeah, he was a bit of an rear end in a top hat, so was pretty much everyone like him. Including ol' Enzo, get over it.

That's where the problem lies, I don't really need to make an argument for the GT500, it makes the argument for itself in sales and profits. Meanwhile, all anyone can argue is that you can save the licensing fees. Never any mention of how much that is (I suspect they have no clue), or acknowledgement that Ford isn't paying those fees for shits and giggles. Frankly, you would need to be able to show that you can sell the same car with the Cobra name for the same price, or price difference no bigger than the licensing fee, and not lose sales. Otherwise, I'd say get used to it.

If the Shelby name does go away, it will almost certainly be because the family gets greedy and tries to jack the hell out of the licensing fee.