Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

front wing flexing posted:

My advice is to not stay up all night working on carbs. You'll lose something or put something on wrong in the wee hours of the night.

Thirding this. I've spent far too many frustrating hours puzzling over something that is easily solved with the light of a new day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I applied a quite liberal amount of that Bel-Ray chain grease to my SV, let it sit for a few hours, and then rode around town. It didn't really fling much at all, and it seems to have penetrated the chain throughout. I like it. More because it's not spray-on, meaning no lube poo poo splashing everywhere during the application progress. :)

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

Personally I use Dupont Teflon chain lube. You can find it in most Wal Marts for around 6-8 bucks in the automotive section, bright yellow can.

I used the blue can, but they changed it for 2012. I'll have to switch to the yellow can, which is a lot harder to find around here. :saddowns:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Anybody around here ever ridden (or currently own) a wee-strom? Thoughts?

My riding buddy has a DL1000 and absolutely carves on that thing. He even still has stock squishy suspension on it. All he's done is replaced the seat and disabled the dual throttle plate thinger for less restrained power. I sat on it and it was more comfortable than most chairs I have EVER sat on and I REALLY like the dual-sport riding style as my legs get quite cramped on the EX250. I am 5'10" but my legs have never liked being bound up. The DL1000 is a bit big for me, but I hear the weeeestrom is actually a smaller bike (not just the engine) and might fit me quite well.

Possible upgrade in the future I am thinking!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

What is the CA-recommended chain lubricating fluid? I usually use something or another that I find in Ace Hardware; it's supposed to be a chainsaw chain lube.

SAE 50 motor oil, I paid ~$30 for 5 liters.

It says "for Harley Davidson motorcycles until 1970" on the can and is made by Kroon. Cheap-rear end vintage thick-as-syrup oil, it's good stuff.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

Thirding this. I've spent far too many frustrating hours puzzling over something that is easily solved with the light of a new day.

I'm curious how my first carb rejetting is going to go. It seems most people end up having to do it three times. Here's a question, do I jet for the altitude of where I live (5 meters) or where the racetrack is (150 meters)? I'd guess jet for the track but then I can't test it out without driving for 2 1/2 hours.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Gnaghi posted:

I'm curious how my first carb rejetting is going to go. It seems most people end up having to do it three times. Here's a question, do I jet for the altitude of where I live (5 meters) or where the racetrack is (150 meters)? I'd guess jet for the track but then I can't test it out without driving for 2 1/2 hours.

Just depressurise your garage. Geez, do we have to explain everything. :reject:

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Dellikose posted:

I used the blue can, but they changed it for 2012. I'll have to switch to the yellow can, which is a lot harder to find around here. :saddowns:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/dupont-motorcycle-chain-lube-2012/

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I just bought a can of the teflon spray and thankfully it's still the old formulation. It's pretty disappointing that they changed it.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What's a good book/resource on understanding how a bike is put together? I'm considering doing a front end swap, but I have no idea what the difference is between forks and legs, what spacers are, where sprockets are, how the chain is hooked to the engine, etc...

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

What's a good book/resource on understanding how a bike is put together? I'm considering doing a front end swap, but I have no idea what the difference is between forks and legs, what spacers are, where sprockets are, how the chain is hooked to the engine, etc...

The repair manual for your bike will have all the pictures you need. Supplement with manufacturer microfiche online (go to bikebandit or whatever).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Internet Meme posted:

What swap are you considering? Start with something well documented that won't screw with the steering geometry of your bike to much.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Meme posted:

Bear in mind that a front end swap is not (in 99% of cases) a bolt on affair, and saying "front end swap" in the same sentence as "I dont know what sprockets are" could very well be a recipe for personal injury.

Doing even a well-documented front end swap without fully understanding it and the bike can get you in big trouble fast.

Not that you cant do it, but unless there is something wrong with your current front end, you probably wont notice any of the benefits of a front end swap at your current level of understanding (and presumably riding skill).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Safety Dance posted:

What is the CA-recommended chain lubricating fluid? I usually use something or another that I find in Ace Hardware; it's supposed to be a chainsaw chain lube.

Before it goes on the bike the chain gets soaked in 10w40 and 90wt gear oil.
Subsequent treatments are gear oil only. Yes, I frequently use filtered, used gear oil.

This is on my standard roller chains.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I cleaned all the sticky factory grease off my DID y-x-z-tilde-ring chain when I fitted it, then I've just been wiping down the chain every now and then with whatever oil I had to hand, tried a dedicated offroad bicycle chain oil but found it too sticky, now I'm just wiping it down with my old engine oil; some fairly toasted 10W60 full synthetic of various pedigrees from my oil dumping bucket. Seems to be doing the trick, chain looks good, rings look like they're in good nick.

A++ would cheap out again!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've always seen a lot of you all using gear oil, but how do you apply it?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Jack up the back of the bike - I just use a squeeze grip clamp on one side
Soak rag in oil
Hold rag around chain
Turn back wheel

E: Go for a spin on the bike to determine whether you got enough on. If there's oil flung everywhere, you have enough oil on the chain... now.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 27, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Spin tire rapidly with right hand, run one bead down the orings out of the squeeze bottle for one full rotation of the chain, squirt some on a rag and wipe the grit and grime off the sideplates. If you're having problems with throwoff, you're using too much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is a Grunge Brush and a spray bottle of Kerosene a good setup for cleaning a chain, or will that just force junk deeper?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nsaP posted:

Centerstand, bike in gear with the idle turned way up, supersoaker.

Safety Dance posted:

Is a Grunge Brush and a spray bottle of Kerosene a good setup for cleaning a chain, or will that just force junk deeper?

works perfect on my standard roller chains.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

Not keen on using a brush for the possibility of pushing grime under the o-rings, give it a good rub down with parafin/kerosene and oil it, the grime will soften up and gently fling itself off as you ride. Though in my case it burns a lovely patina on the bottom of my silencer, which houses a catalytic so it's hotter than a thousand suns. Smells good, mind.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

After you start using gear oil, you never have to clean the chain again because the final wipedown with the rag provides a light layer of oil on the plates that means any cleaning is super easy. I don't like using brushes either because of the possibility of thrashing an o-ring, which means your chain is toast.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

After you start using gear oil, you never have to clean the chain again because the final wipedown with the rag provides a light layer of oil on the plates that means any cleaning is super easy. I don't like using brushes either because of the possibility of thrashing an o-ring, which means your chain is toast.

STANDARD CHAIN SUPERIORITY! :smug:

Tooth brushes work well for cleaning. Unfortunately, even if you don't immediately damage an o-ring, you're more likely to shove dirt into them and wind up ruining the chain (AND sprockets) faster because of it.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

STANDARD CHAIN SUPERIORITY!

Such a thing does not exist.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Z3n posted:

What swap are you considering? Start with something well documented that won't screw with the steering geometry of your bike to much.

A CBR 600F3 front end onto a Hawk GT. F2/F3 swaps are fairly common, and the parts cost less than upgrading the stock brake and suspension setup. If I do it, it'd be with the help of another Hawk guy. I wouldn't normally be considering it but there's a guy who's unloading a cache of F2/F3 parts for cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

A CBR 600F3 front end onto a Hawk GT. F2/F3 swaps are fairly common, and the parts cost less than upgrading the stock brake and suspension setup. If I do it, it'd be with the help of another Hawk guy. I wouldn't normally be considering it but there's a guy who's unloading a cache of F2/F3 parts for cheap.

Ahh ok then, you should be good. What needs to be done on the swap?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Z3n posted:

Ahh ok then, you should be good. What needs to be done on the swap?

From what I understand, it's like lego. You unbolt the forks, slide out the front, and then bolt on the F3 front end. The forks/triple/topclamp/wheels are all interchangeable. I could do just the forks and the brakes in a similar way. The speedo is usually a problem but I already have an electric one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

From what I understand, it's like lego. You unbolt the forks, slide out the front, and then bolt on the F3 front end. The forks/triple/topclamp/wheels are all interchangeable. I could do just the forks and the brakes in a similar way. The speedo is usually a problem but I already have an electric one.

That's a good choice for a first swap then...keep it simple.

I'd recommend finding a cheap, running ~$500 bike and returning it to good, working, stockish condition. Restore each of the parts as close to stock as reasonable, with a focus on things done with elbow grease over parts swapping, so stuff like replacing bearings, lubing linkages, cleaning up parts, etc, and you'll learn a lot and have a cool bike/cool story to go with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Meme posted:

Thats good, if theres someone who's done it before to check your work theres much less chance of things going south.

Good luck!

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Okay, so I've loosened the clutch cable but it's still moving when I clutch out but just revs like no other when I throttle. This bike ('04 Rebel) only has 1600 miles on it, what else could it be?

Binary
May 21, 2004
I'm helping a buddy fix a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan. It was left sitting for 6 months, after this it would start and idle but the engine would die as soon as the throttle was moved. A brand new battery was installed, no change. We put seafoam in the gas tank, didn't really help. Then we started to rip the carburetor out. While the carbs were still in the bike spraying carb cleaner into one of the open carbs would make the bike rev and then return to idle. We got the carb out, the main jets on each one were completey blocked, I cleared them with spray carb cleaner and blasted all the little channels in each carb and we put it all back together. It's still barely better than it was before, so right now the gas tank is drained and drying out in the sun, it's been on the same old gas the whole time. When that's done we'll try fresh gasoline. Note that gas did flow out of the tank when the valve was opened, so the tank is not clogged. Any thoughts on this?

Binary fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 28, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Binary posted:

I'm helping a buddy fix a 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan. It was left sitting for 6 months, after this it would start and idle but the engine would die as soon as the throttle was moved. A brand new battery was installed, no change. We put seafoam in the gas tank, didn't really help. Then we started to rip the carburetor out. While the carbs were still in the bike spraying carb cleaner into one of the open carbs would make the bike rev and then return to idle. We got the carb out, the main jets on each one were completey blocked, I cleared them with spray carb cleaner and blasted all the little channels in each carb and we put it all back together. It's still barely better than it was before, so right now the gas tank is drained and drying out in the sun, it's been on the same old gas the whole time. When that's done we'll try fresh gasoline. Note that gas did flow out of the tank when the valve was opened, so the tank is not clogged. Any thoughts on this?
Try it again with fresh gas, but it's not at all unlikely that you just need to do a better cleaning on the carbs. If both main jets were blocked, there could be other blockages that you can't really see, and might not open up with just some spray carb cleaner. Might need some compressed air (120psi shop-style, not from an aerosol can) or an ultrasonic cleaning. If you don't have either of those, I'd take it to a local bike shop and ask them to throw it in their ultrasonic cleaner, they shouldn't charge much for that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You didn't clean the pilot jets. Do it again, and run some wire through them.

ifire posted:

Okay, so I've loosened the clutch cable but it's still moving when I clutch out but just revs like no other when I throttle. This bike ('04 Rebel) only has 1600 miles on it, what else could it be?

If you rode it for a few hundred miles with a slipping clutch, you may have torched the clutch plates.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Is adjusting a clutch cable relatively straightforward? The clutch on my scooter/moped thing doesn't start to engage until the last 1/4 of travel or so (was like that when I bought it), friend says I oughta adjust it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is adjusting a clutch cable relatively straightforward? The clutch on my scooter/moped thing doesn't start to engage until the last 1/4 of travel or so (was like that when I bought it), friend says I oughta adjust it.

You should have something like this right where your clutch cable meets the clutch lever. Procedure for adjusting the cable is as follows:

-Turn the locky thing (the flat disk threaded on to the long bolt-looking thing) about half-a-turn toward the bike's rear, loosening it (it should be all the way up against the clutch perch).

-The clutch cable itself runs through the long, bolt-looking thing. Turn that a few turns loose (it might help to pull on the clutch cable to release some slack). Check your clutch lever to see how it feels. Adjust loose or tight as needed.

-Turn the locky thing so it's against the clutch perch again. The tension of the locky thing against the clutch perch keeps the adjuster in place.

A word of caution: If you are all the way at the end of the adjustment for the long, bolt-looking thing, you need to replace your clutch cable because the original has stretched. Adjusting the bolt-looking thing too tight (i.e. too far out) will cause excess stress on the clutch and the clutch cable, causing them to both wear prematurely. You should have a little bit of slack at the beginning of the clutch lever's travel.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 28, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ifire posted:

Do you know what kind of oil is in it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm going to get off my fat rear end and put a tank protector on the Connie. Anyone have any easy tips for ensuring it is centered?

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Z3n posted:

If you rode it for a few hundred miles with a slipping clutch, you may have torched the clutch plates.

That's what I'm afriad of. I didn't notice it slipping but that doesn't mean it wasn't. Looks like I'll just replace them anyway when I get paid.

clutchpuck posted:

Do you know what kind of oil is in it?

I believe this is what I am using. It doesn't have the "energy conserving" part on the doughnut. No idea what the previous owners used. The first rode it for 290 miles and traded up for a bigger bike, the second bought it, dropped his friend's Harley and got scared and it sat for a few years. It's had the Pennzoil from mile 295 to 1600.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pennzoil-1-qt-SAE-10W-40-motor-oil/_/N-26qq?itemIdentifier=690529_0_0_

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Now and then with my 2001 SV650, it would give me a slight hesitation when I twist the throttle, like a half second's worth, before accelerating. I checked out under the gas tank two weeks ago and saw through the de-snorkeled air filter cover that my air filter looked dirty. I plan to check deeper tomorrow, but was wondering if the slight-hesitation issue could be from that?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a possibility. The wife's beemer runs like garbage if the filter requires cleaning.

ifire posted:

I believe this is what I am using. It doesn't have the "energy conserving" part on the doughnut. No idea what the previous owners used. The first rode it for 290 miles and traded up for a bigger bike, the second bought it, dropped his friend's Harley and got scared and it sat for a few years. It's had the Pennzoil from mile 295 to 1600.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Pennzoil-1-qt-SAE-10W-40-motor-oil/_/N-26qq?itemIdentifier=690529_0_0_

I'd drain what's in it and put some motorcycle-specific stuff in. Look for a JASO-MA certification on the label. This is inexpensive and definitely wet clutch compatible http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Castrol-1-qt-10W-40-4T-4-Stroke-motorcycle-oil/_/N-25ie?itemIdentifier=493838_0_0_

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Just noticed brake fluid is suddenly leaking out the top of my bike.

The level is still above the line, I popped off the top and there was a little plastic fleck floating around. And it looks like the plastic is actually corroded. What the Christ...
http://i.imgur.com/43tWT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n2MSS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rSzre.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pJdDP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Oxo11.jpg