Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
sup?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

dont worry i've got one for you. just need someone to bump the cat thread.... :twisted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

please move out of your dirt and rock human-broiler known as tucson

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Scheme looks really neat, i like simple and elegant things so i think i might like Scheme.

YOSPOS plz tell me why Scheme sucks because I don't want to waste a year of my life learning it only to inevitably come to the conclusion that it sucks when i could spend that time eating lard and watching anime instead

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

i knew a guy who used scheme... later i saw him kissing a man(!)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
scheme is a "functional" language

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

Scheme looks really neat, i like simple and elegant things so i think i might like Scheme.

YOSPOS plz tell me why Scheme sucks because I don't want to waste a year of my life learning it only to inevitably come to the conclusion that it sucks when i could spend that time eating lard and watching anime instead
Scheme is precisely as you described it. It is also utterly worthless for doing anything practical with. It's still worth to learn it though, because it'll teach you ways how things can be done in simple and elegant ways.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

- lots of different implementations, not ever fully compatible
- people in the scheme community still complain about R5RS and R6RS, basically a debate of 'elegance vs. practicality' while they're now writing R7RS which is basically "okay let's do both"
- seems to be hardly practical or in extended use

Personally I'd go for Racket over most Scheme implementations. Racket is basically a scheme-derivative. The guys behind PLT Scheme (a learning language initially, so it has great tutorials) kind of got fed up with the standardization process behind Schemes, decided to take their platform, call it Racket, and run with it.

It's got a crapload of interesting concepts (fully customizeable pattern matching, actors, stats stuff, sublanguages, etc.), it's keeping PLaneT for libraries, uses their own version of Dr.Scheme (which is a really nifty IDE), give you JIT, a statically typed version of the language usable on a per-module basis, and so on.

Here's a pic of Dr.Racket/Dr.Scheme's IDE, and it also shows how you can display graphical stuff along with the executing code (the arrows are part of what the IDE does when inspecting/displaying stack traces):

As soon as I'm done with the Erlang book and whatnot, I'm most certainly going to be spending a little bit more time scheming things up with Racket, but mostly as a toy language for fun.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 28, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

Go learn clojure since you're a jvm weenie

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

lisp would be cool if there was some way to learn it without becoming an rear end in a top hat

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shameproof posted:

i knew a guy who used scheme... ()

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

graph posted:

please move out of your dirt and rock human-broiler known as tucson

yea im working on it, now that I graduated im planning to leave around the end of this year

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
trapped in southern arizona, pls send help and/or non government jobs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

trapped in southern arizona, pls send help

here u go man

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Tumacacori-AZ-85640/Results

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'm giving a talk to rubyists about my python library, new ruby library.

in avoiding writing my talk, i've ported it to ruby. i'm pretty happy about that :toot:

code:
require "glyph"
s = Glyph.get(ARGV[0])
q= s.Queue('butt')
q.push('butts')
p q.pop()
code:
require "glyph"
require "rack"

$queues = {}

class Service < Glyph::Router
  class Queue < Glyph::Resource
    def initialize(name)
      @name = name
    end

def push(a)
      if not $queues[@name]
        $queues[@name] = []
      end
      $queues[@name].push(a)
    end

def pop
      $queues[@name].pop
    end
  end
end

Rack::Handler::WEBrick.run(Service.new, :Port => 12344)
it's duck typed :toot:

tef fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 29, 2012

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ronald Raiden posted:

yea im working on it, now that I graduated im planning to leave around the end of this year

i know, do it

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mr Dog posted:

YOSPOS plz tell me why Scheme sucks because I don't want to waste a year of my life learning it

you'll learn scheme the language thoroughly in about 2 days simply by going through a good tutorial like the little schemer/practiced schemer

getting the hang of thinking recursively about everything will take longer but that will transfer over to every other language you ever use so it won't be wasted time imo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
how many languages actually do tail call optimization, besides god's language Lua that is

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

ALL OF THEM

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
erlang, because erlang is literally the best

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tinselt0wn posted:

erlang, because erlang is literally the best

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

i'm giving a talk to rubyists about my python library, new ruby library.

in avoiding writing my talk, i've ported it to ruby. i'm pretty happy about that :toot:

code:
require "glyph"
s = Glyph.get(ARGV[0])
q= s.Queue('butt')
q.push('butts')
p q.pop()
code:
require "glyph"
require "rack"

$queues = {}

class Service < Glyph::Router
  class Queue < Glyph::Resource
    def initialize(name)
      @name = name
    end

def push(a)
      if not $queues[@name]
        $queues[@name] = []
      end
      $queues[@name].push(a)
    end

def pop
      $queues[@name].pop
    end
  end
end

Rack::Handler::WEBrick.run(Service.new, :Port => 12344)
it's duck typed :toot:

"ill use a global variable called "queues"" - tef

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I think you can also do queues = Array.new{[]} to set a default

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ahhh spiders posted:

tail call optimization

"sup girl what you doin tonight"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

BonzoESC posted:

"ill use a global variable called "queues"" - tef

yep, the server mapper code doesn't have state between requests. it's kept at the client.

in reality we hide a bunch of stored procs behind those objects, but I can't be arsed to write a full service.

:toot:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Jonny 290 posted:

hahahah

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jonny 290 posted:

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Jonny 290 posted:

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nice!

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=18556

Submitted in 2002, still unfixed today!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wont fix: that's nobody's business but the turks

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
hey, just so everyone knows php still sucks. I was doing a thing and accidently misspelled a variable and php was just like whatever i don't care I just won't do anything with this unbound variable and then it was hard to figure out why it wasn't working cuz there as no error

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
dogpile on php

dunno if this was posted yet

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Ronald Raiden posted:

hey, just so everyone knows php still sucks. I was doing a thing and accidently misspelled a variable and php was just like whatever i don't care I just won't do anything with this unbound variable and then it was hard to figure out why it wasn't working cuz there as no error

dog ur error reporting level is set wrong

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Rufo posted:

dog ur error reporting level is set wrong

It wasn't an error at all though, php is cool with unbound variables and in the place I used it didn't cause an error, it just caused nothing to happen.

I would rather have unbound variables be an error or something.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
it can be logged if you change the error reporting level

CaptainMeatpants
Jun 1, 2010

error_reporting(E_ALL);

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
420 use strict; erry day

if you don't your a chump who writes unmaintainable code